PDA

View Full Version : UL/Lightweight 3P Tents

dcdennis
12-01-2016, 14:46
Let's hear testimonials on lightweight 3P tents. Looking for less than 3pounds only, and preferably less than 2.5pounds (ugh im so used to talking in ounces and grams that typing "pounds" in relation to gear made me throw up a little bit).

I only intend to use this tent with 2 people but I like the extra space. OCCAISIONALLY i might need room for two adults and a 6 year old though so needs to be roomy. Price not really an issue. I dont trust reivews on manufacturers websites so looking for items that people here have had actual first hand experience with and not just heard of. Single/double wall are both ok.

thanks in advance fo rthe info!

trailmercury
12-01-2016, 14:58
Zpacks Triplex

dcdennis
12-01-2016, 15:11
Care to elaborate? =D High points? Low points? Conditions you used it in?

DuneElliot
12-01-2016, 15:40
+1 on ZPacks Triplex. I have the Duplex for one person and love it, and the Triplex is spacious for two and would have plenty of space for a 6yo with two adults.

For a double-wall I lean towards the BA Copper Spur...it would be my tent of choice if I didn't have the Duplex.

DuneElliot
12-01-2016, 15:41
Here's a review of the Duplex from my blog. You can also read other thoughts in some of the others posts: https://pilgrimsandpawprints.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/gear-review-zpacks-arc-haul-backpack-and-duplex-tent/

trailmercury
12-01-2016, 16:02
Care to elaborate? =D High points? Low points? Conditions you used it in?
Pros: weight, fully enclosed if need be, dual doors and side entry, wide temp and climate range, color and fabric choices, made in USA, great customer service
Cons: sometimes difficult to get a taught pitch and needs a fairly large footprint
Neutral: Cost ( I think the price is reasonable for what you get), needs trekking poles (I already use these, but one may need to buy the tent poles as an accessory, which adds to the weight, but the thing would still weigh less than other 3P tents!

dcdennis
12-01-2016, 16:59
Regarding the pitch, I use an HMG Echo II which has a similar design and I agree it can be tricky to get a good pitch. Sometimes I can't be bothered to try and just sleep with the mesh 6 inches from my face. I just pretend it's a bivy =D

creek gap
12-01-2016, 18:11
I have been looking for a while and the best I have found is the Tarptent Hogback,it is a 4 man tent but I haven't found any 3 man tents that weigh less(- a few ounces). Looking for opinions on this tent or something better.

soumodeler
12-01-2016, 21:12
Another vote on the ZPacks Triplex. I have the Duplex and love it for myself as a one person shelter.

ScareBear
12-01-2016, 21:51
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3. Under 3 pounds. With stakes. With guy lines. With poles. With a fly. Can be pitched fly-first for a dry set-up in the rain. Mine has around 30 nights and 300 miles...no issues other than I replaced all of the guy lines with Lawson GlowWire lines because the factory lines are light, but unacceptably prone to abrasion and cuts. GlowWire is only 2oz per 50 feet!

Far superior condensation control than the Triplex/Duplex. Far warmer, as well. This is because the Triplex/Duplex relies on a fairly constant airflow through the tent for any condensation control. The BA can have the fly walls dropped to decrease flow, increase warmth, and not much extra condensation.

The BA is also free-standing, the Triplex/Duplex is not. This is an inherently more stable design, easier to pitch and better at distributing wind-pressure across the tent.

There are two other very important differences between the BA and the Triplex/Duplex:

First is the tent fabric. The BA utilizes silicone nylon fabric. This fabric will stretch a little in the rain and you should always tighten the guy lines before going to bed, regardless of the weather. The Triplex/Duplex utilizes Cuben Fibre(Dyneema). This fabric has no give and no sag. The good news is you never have to tighten guy lines and it doesn't stretch/sag in the rain. The bad news is that when properly taught pitched, a Cuben Fibre tent sounds like a drum in the rain. In a driving rain you may find yourself needing earplugs to sleep. I am not kidding on this....

The final difference is price. The Triplex is twice the price of the BA.

Only you can determine whether the plus/minus factors of each tent are important in your decision process. They are two very different tents, both in design and construction materials. And in price...just sayin....

ScareBear
12-01-2016, 21:54
Oops...I forgot that with the stuff bags, my UL3 comes in right at 3 pounds...I replaced the factory stakes with titanium Sheppard's hooks...

Also, another important factor is privacy. During the daytime, the privacy in a Cuben Fibre tent is iffy, at best....its fairly translucent....

ScareBear
12-01-2016, 22:15
And, I forgot that another difference in the tent fabrics is that the BA needs to be dried fairly well prior to packing, in order to minimize mold/mildew possibilities. This is due to the thinness of the nylon fabric. With Cuben Fibre, all you have to do prior to packing is give it a good snap-shake and you are ready to go...

Old Hiker
12-01-2016, 23:20
LightHeart Gear SoLong 6.

Pros:

Made for taller people - I'm 6'2" and it fits with room to spare head to toes
Room for my pack inside
Incredibly large vestibule - pack here if you wish, can cook under, all the way down in storm mode
Smaller vestibule in back - boots fit well here
Advertised weight of 1 lb 15 oz
American made
GREAT customer service, even on the Trail

Cons

Moderate condensation during rain and high humidity - don't remember this in my ALPS Zephyr 1, but that one was over 3.5 pounds - livable
Large space needed - I had no problem finding a large enough space
Non-freestanding - need trekking poles or manufacturer poles, but I had no problem with tent platforms

saltysack
12-02-2016, 11:10
LightHeart Gear SoLong 6.

Pros:

Made for taller people - I'm 6'2" and it fits with room to spare head to toes
Room for my pack inside
Incredibly large vestibule - pack here if you wish, can cook under, all the way down in storm mode
Smaller vestibule in back - boots fit well here
Advertised weight of 1 lb 15 oz
American made
GREAT customer service, even on the Trail

Cons

Moderate condensation during rain and high humidity - don't remember this in my ALPS Zephyr 1, but that one was over 3.5 pounds - livable
Large space needed - I had no problem finding a large enough space
Non-freestanding - need trekking poles or manufacturer poles, but I had no problem with tent platforms

Great tent but definitely not a 3 person shelter.....as far as height really suffers if using a thick pad i.e. Xtherm in large...I've had my 55lb 10 year old son and 20lb dog....definitely maxed out as it's a solid 1+ tent but very versatile....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk