PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether 60 Backpack

Lonesome Polecat
01-16-2006, 22:53
Don't have may outfitters in SW FL, so ordered backpack off internet without tring any on.

Hipbelt on Osprey fits fine with weight pulled snug to the small of my back, but the shoulder straps are above my shoulders--not on them--so do not carry any of the load, or control side to side swing as you walk.

The pack torso length is large. My torso is 20.5", right between Med and Lrg sizes. Do I need to exchange the pack for one with a Med torso, or am I really stupid for doing something obviously wrong? Forgive me, I'm a newbie. Thanks!:)

ScottP
01-16-2006, 22:58
Are you sure you measured your torso correctly (7th vertebrae to the beginning of pelvis, I believe)? Have you played with the adjustments enough? I'm sure the company you ordered from will let you exchange the pack for free. They will probably even pay for you to ship your large model back to them, if you ask.

By the way, I have an aether 30 and I love it.

Lonesome Polecat
01-16-2006, 23:46
ScottP,

My measurements are correct. Torso is suppose to be adjustable, but I haven't figured it out yet. Thanks! :-?

Almost There
01-16-2006, 23:55
You are going to have to adjust it in the back. My wife got the Ariel 60(female version). When she first put it on there was the same problem, luckily it was at a very good outfitter who knew exactly how to adjust it to her frame. The sleeve that touches your back should have velcro on the inside, you need to open it up and slide the piece attached to your straps in order to fit it to your back and shoulders. You might want to get someone to help you do this. If you have an REI or similiar outfitter you might want to call them and see if someone will help you adjust it, many outfitters are more than willing to help out a hiker with this problem. If you have a store that you buy gear at, take the pack with you when you go to buy gear and just ask more than likely they will be willing to give you the aid you need.

khaynie
01-17-2006, 00:00
I carried an Osprey Aether 60 during my 05' SOBO thru-hike. It was by far the best peice of equipment I owned. It's now a shrine in my home.

If your torso measure 20.5, a large should work fine. Stick your hands in between the back-pad and the shoulder straps to loosen the velcro that affixes the two. Then you will be able to slide the straps up and down. Once you get it fit, you'll love it for life.

Screamin' Eagles! You'll know what that means when you carry it on your thru-hike.

ScottP
01-17-2006, 00:27
I guess I'll be in that club as well because I'm going to be carrying an Atmos 35.

Almost There
01-17-2006, 00:45
Osprey makes a great pack! If I didn't carry my Mystery Ranch Deep Trance, I would carry an Aether series pack. Enjoy!

RITBlake
01-17-2006, 01:01
congrats on considering 'the screamin eagle.' I would recommend this pick to any and all thru hikers. It light, extremely durable, and holds just the right amount of gear. Once you've been hiking for a couple hundred miles through the mud, the rain, the thunderstorms, the snow, the heat and the sunshine, you'll understand while this pack is affectionately called 'the screamin eagle'

Also,

There will be no prouder moment on your thru hike then when you cross in to the bear mtn zoo and see your proud brethren, the bold and beautiful osprey, sitting on his perch, nobly defending his kingdom. It brought tears to this salty thru hikers eyes.

Lonesome Polecat
01-17-2006, 02:22
Thanks guys. Your replys reminded me I had read about this adjustment somewhere, but just couldn't remember what the answer was. Anyway, us old guys can't remember s... anymore. Thanks again. :)

RedneckRye
01-17-2006, 10:10
Your pack should have arrived with an instruction pamphlet in the lid that fully explains how to fit, adjust, load, etc.

Tabasco
01-17-2006, 11:00
Did you get the brand new 2006 model with the heat moldable hip-belt or the older pre-2006 model?

Lonesome Polecat
01-17-2006, 21:34
Did you get the brand new 2006 model with the heat moldable hip-belt or the older pre-2006 model?

Got the 2005 on sale for $149.? After adjusting the shoulder straps the pack feels great.

ScottP
01-17-2006, 21:51
My atmos 35 arrived today. It feels pretty damn nice.

Jack Tarlin
01-17-2006, 22:07
For those of you going with Ospreys, if you don't get the chance to get 'em profesionally adjusted before you leave, the staff at the Walasi Center at Neels Gap can do this for you; likewise the staff at Bluff Mtn. Outfitters in Hot Springs (Wayne the owner is particularly good at this).

The Osprey repair/service crew is always at Trail Days in Damascus; this is a great place to have any fitting adjustments made, a hip belt switched out, etc.

TwoForty
01-17-2006, 23:23
Got the 2005 on sale for $149.? After adjusting the shoulder straps the pack feels great.
Where at? I may snag one. I don't like the new design.

dreadhead07
03-26-2006, 03:05
So... I noticed that the non-standard hip belts for the Aether 60's cost $40-50. Do I really need to PAY for one? Has anyone had any luck trading it with another hiker, rep or outfitter? I need and XL IsoForm if anyone can hook me up! I'll gladly trade my 'stock' L if anyone's messed theirs up or cooked it too many times!