PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Vitals sleeping bags?????????

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
12-03-2016, 13:40
Still undecided on my sleeping bag and came across the outdoor vitals bags. They are more affordable than then bags I'm looking at, but I don't want to sacrifice too much quality for a cheaper bag. Just curious if anyone here has had good or bad experiences with these bags. Thanks in advance. Happy hiking

egilbe
12-03-2016, 14:56
Thats three threads in the last week on a bag made by some weird company I have never heard of.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
12-03-2016, 15:14
Thats three threads in the last week on a bag made by some weird company I have never heard of.

If your not going to be of any help why even bother posting? Negativity runs rampid on this site.

Hike your own Hike

egilbe
12-03-2016, 15:38
Tend to think spambot

rafe
12-03-2016, 18:29
I've never heard of this brand either, but I can't say I'm up on the latest vendors. The prices look good. "Lifetime warranty" sounds good -- so long as the company survives. Maybe you should get one, use it, and report back.

ScareBear
12-03-2016, 18:55
Chinese manufactured using Chinese duck down. I checked out some reviews and there were some complaints of foul(not fowl) odor from the duck down. Also, I am a bit suspicious of their claimed fill power v. actual fill weight for the temperature of the bag. The math doesn't add up. For that much actual fill weight with that claimed fill power should result in a much warmer bag, unless my math is wrong. In other words, the bag is heavier than it should be and has more fill than it should need to achieve that temp. rating., if they are truthful about the fill power.

Also, the down is not Drytek'd or treated in any manner..

Venchka
12-03-2016, 19:10
Also, the down is not Drytek'd or treated in any manner..

Like shoes without Gore-Tex, probably a good thing.
Improperly processed down? "Be afraid. Be very afraid."
If you're willing to take a chance, get the company's return policy in writing, email would be good. Buy a bag. Sleep in it. Verify the temperature rating if possible. Compare quality, weight, rating, size, etc. to similar duck down bags. I think REI sells house brand duck down bags with decent reviews.
If you hate it, get your money back.
Cold air for testing if coming soon.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moosling
12-03-2016, 21:51
Still undecided on my sleeping bag and came across the outdoor vitals bags. They are more affordable than then bags I'm looking at, but I don't want to sacrifice too much quality for a cheaper bag. Just curious if anyone here has had good or bad experiences with these bags. Thanks in advance. Happy hiking

I'm going to get the 30 degree bag soon I'll post a review of it after use, $107.00 with decent reviews I'm willing to try it why not? In the words of Marty Mcfly "All the best stuff is made in China!"

coyote9
12-03-2016, 23:09
Like shoes without Gore-Tex, probably a good thing.
Improperly processed down? "Be afraid. Be very afraid."
If you're willing to take a chance, get the company's return policy in writing, email would be good. Buy a bag. Sleep in it. Verify the temperature rating if possible. Compare quality, weight, rating, size, etc. to similar duck down bags. I think REI sells house brand duck down bags with decent reviews.
If you hate it, get your money back.
Cold air for testing if coming soon.
Wayne

Drydown types are great and proven effective. Goretex isnt as bad as some people claim, you just have to know when and how to use it. The two however are unrelated.

Venchka
12-03-2016, 23:11
I'm going to get the 30 degree bag soon I'll post a review of it after use, $107.00 with decent reviews I'm willing to try it why not? In the words of Marty Mcfly "All the best stuff is made in China!"

Thank you for your bold exploration. Good luck. Standing by.
Wayne

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
12-04-2016, 02:47
Well after much much given thought I settled on the more expensive bag I had bee eyeing for a while. StS TrekII Thanks everyone for their positive feedback. It helped me make my decision to pass on it. I don't want to be doing any experimentation on my thru hike and have unnecessary resupplies. Between the TrekII and BIg Agnes Kings Canyon UL quilt I should be able to sleep comfortably in a shelter or my tent in early Mar.

ScareBear
12-04-2016, 11:05
Well after much much given thought I settled on the more expensive bag I had bee eyeing for a while. StS TrekII Thanks everyone for their positive feedback. It helped me make my decision to pass on it. I don't want to be doing any experimentation on my thru hike and have unnecessary resupplies. Between the TrekII and BIg Agnes Kings Canyon UL quilt I should be able to sleep comfortably in a shelter or my tent in early Mar.

Yes, your chosen bag is all you should need on the AT in Georgia in early March. However, I doubt you will be very comfortable in it above 40 degrees. That's the nature of an 18 degree bag....

It looks like a good selection. Very light weight for a semi-rec 18 degree bag at that price point.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
12-04-2016, 12:41
Once I get uncomfortable in the bag I will send it to VT and roll with the quilt till then. I'm guessing this will happen after Shenendoah sometime. I've also considered bouncing the quilt ahead once it warms up a little till I drop the sleeping bag. The bag/quilt method was suggested by hikers on here as opposed to my idea of summer bag with thermo style bag liner for Mar-Apr but I was told those liners are kinda rubbish. So these two bags are ultimately what I settled on. The Kings Canyon only weighs a pound so the combined weight of both is 3lb 3 Oz. The bag is plenty spacious to fit the quilt inside and a puffy jacket if need be.