PDA

View Full Version : Bears in January???

naturlred
12-03-2016, 18:15
Are bears in hibernation for the most part in January in Tennessee or does it really depend on temps and snowfall?

MuddyWaters
12-03-2016, 19:03
Yes.
You wont see bears till about april usually.
although its always possible for them to wake up and come out
They are just sleeping...a lot. The cubs are born in about Jan.

I was skiing in colorado at 11000 ft atCrested Butte one time in Jan. 8' snowpack. A lift shut down for hours because a bear had woke up and come out. Not common, but obviously happens.

tdoczi
12-03-2016, 19:23
Yes.
You wont see bears till about april usually.
although its always possible for them to wake up and come out
They are just sleeping...a lot. The cubs are born in about Jan.

I was skiing in colorado at 11000 ft atCrested Butte one time in Jan. 8' snowpack. A lift shut down for hours because a bear had woke up and come out. Not common, but obviously happens.

uh, no. black bears do not hibernate. they do something hibernation like (forget the exact term) that isnt quite the same. the major difference being they can and do periodically wake up and become briefly active again. you most definitely can see one. it is much less likely than in other times of year, but not remotely impossible.

JohnHuth
12-03-2016, 19:59
Yup, no bears in January for all practical aspects

tdoczi
12-03-2016, 21:00
http://nj1015.com/nj-black-bears-dont-hibernate/

people who i believe are attuned to such things who live in the vicinity of SNP have told me that at lower elevations you see bears frequently at any time of year.

the same could very well be true in TN

rjsmout
12-03-2016, 21:01
A lot depends on how well they ate over the summer and fall, something we won't know until the biologists complete their papers in the spring, or you ask local hunters what they've seen. If they didn't eat that well, they'll be up and about anytime over the winter and early spring. Weather also plays a role - mild winter, more bears.

Don't let the thought of bears in the woods put you off your hiking plans. Keep your food off the ground and not in your tent. Keep your gear and campsite clean. Be a good guest and you won't have a problem.

illabelle
12-03-2016, 21:52
We have cold spells here in TN and we have snow. But we don't have cold spells and snow that last all winter. Very common to have days with highs in the 50s or 60s. Might go an entire winter or even two in a row without any temps below zero (that's in town, mountains will be different). It's my understanding that our bears do not truly hibernate.

pilgrimskywheel
12-03-2016, 22:04
Black bears enter a state of torpidity, not hibernation. The notion that "for all intents and purposes there are no bears in winter" is a hoot! Where'd they go? They got great deals on airline tickets to Florida and are at Satellite Beach catching waves? I'm wondering what effect the fires will have. As I recall they are territorial, so will dis[laced bears be running around?

Sarcasm the elf
12-03-2016, 22:22
Black bears enter a state of torpidity, not hibernation. The notion that "for all intents and purposes there are no bears in winter" is a hoot! Where'd they go? They got great deals on airline tickets to Florida and are at Satellite Beach catching waves? I'm wondering what effect the fires will have. As I recall they are territorial, so will dis[laced bears be running around?

That's ridiculous, bears can't fly, they can never get past the TSA screening. For the most part they stay in their dens and watch Football. Farther north they're into hockey as well and watch the NHL playoffs once the superbowl is over.

xnav
12-04-2016, 09:01
I hiked AT in the SMNP in Jan several years ago. I stayed at Spence Field Shelter and had about 4 inches of snow on the ground. The next morning while hiking to Fontana Dam I saw bear fresh bear tracks in the snow. The temp was 2 degrees that morning.

pilgrimskywheel
12-04-2016, 09:44
They're out there! Especially if they blew all their frequent flyer miles going to Campo in the spring for the PCTKO. That fella was probably coming to see what's in your wallet. He heard you, smelled you, there was no football on, so he rolled over and checked you out like you were cookies left for Santa. Likely he noticed you had trekking poles and thought better of tangling with an armed civilian.

rocketsocks
12-04-2016, 10:35
I think they fly south for the winter...we should build a wall.