PDA

View Full Version : Big South Fork

naturlred
12-03-2016, 18:20
What are your thoughts on the Big South Fork area?

Dogwood
12-03-2016, 18:54
This is not to be confused with the fires around Gatlinburg or GSMNP! There is a fire but it is 90% contained on the EAST side. Winds blow generally west to east in the area. Avoid the EAST side and you'll be able to check out arches, waterfalls, and the river in January as the fire could likely be done. But there's no guarantee. So, make it one of your options not the only option for your Jan trip to the area. AND, call call the Park. Here is more info.

https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/tntrails.htm

https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/upload/TN-HIKING-MAP-BROCHURE-2016.pdf

If you can hike along the river to some arches and waterfalls or even drive some of the improved gravel FS roads with some short day hikes mixed in you may be able to have a valid experience in Jan

illabelle
12-03-2016, 19:13
I've hiked many parts of BSF, but not all. My favorite dayhike of all time is the Honey Creek Loop near the southern end of the park, about 1.5 hours from Knoxville. Link below to a trip report.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/106963-Big-South-Fork-Honey-Creek-Loop

Other neat stuff includes the Twin Arches on the west side not far from Kentucky, or the Crack-in-the-Rock in the Yahoo Falls area in southern Kentucky. While BSF has its attractions, I've mostly enjoyed it in dayhikes. We've done a few overnights, but never a multi-day hike. It's an interesting area geologically, almost the inverse of the Smokies. Instead of a ridgeline up high going from peak to peak, it's a river gorge down low.

Rain Man
12-03-2016, 21:33
Have hiked there many times. Love it.

You are posting in AT-General. Might get more replies in "Other Trails"?

Siestita
12-04-2016, 00:53
" It's an interesting area geologically, almost the inverse of the Smokies. Instead of a ridgeline up high going from peak to peak, it's a river gorge down low."

That's true of the entire Cumberland Plateau region, with 'civilization' typically located up high and the remaining wild places being mostly down within the stream corridors.

Some of the plateau region's most impressive trails are relatively short ones that descend from ridge tops, closely paralleling steeply descending streams. Some trails of this type are located slightly north of the BSF, within Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest. For example the Bark Camp Creek Trail (West of London; north of Cumeberland Falls) is gorgeous, as is the segment of the Sheltowee Trace that descends from Peter Mountain along Mark Branch to Rock Creek.

So, thanks Illabelle, for your linked post about part of the Honey Creek Loop. Your descriptions of that trail resemble those published some years ago by park rangers Brenda Coleman and Jo Anne Smith in their book "Hiking the Big South Fork". That's a beautiful trail, but one whose safe passage requires care.

Two months ago I did a solo backpacking trip that included hiking part of the Honey Creek Loop, spending two nights camping near Ice Castle Falls, which due to drought was not running. Next spring I'll return there again to do a multi-day out-and-back hike of the portion of the Sheltowee Trace between the Honey Creek Trailhead (not the overlook, the other trailhead) and the O and W Bridge. That's the only section of the recently extended Sheltowee Trace that I have not yet section hiked.

Siestita
12-04-2016, 01:18
I've also hiked all 50 original miles of the BSF's 'John Muir Trail', from Peter Mountain to the O and W Bridge, and I've done parts of BSF's 27 mile 'Kentucky Trail'.

My personal favorites in the BSF:

The Blue Heron Loop (great day hike, or multi-night with extensions out-and back across the river on the Kentucky Trail)
Negro Creek Loop, starting at either Yahoo Falls or Alum Ford
Grand Gap Loop

Overnight backpacking within the BSF requires paying a modest fee ($5 per trip for 1 to 5 persons). The permitting and payment can be handled conveniently on-line.

Please don't leave food unattended within BSF. Some years ago the Park Service re-introduced bears there. I have not yet personally seen any BSF bears, nor have I heard of any nuisance bear problems occurring there. Hopefully that state of affairs will continue in the future.

illabelle
12-04-2016, 07:10
So glad I have that little book! That's how I found Honey Creek. :)

" So, thanks Illabelle, for your linked post about part of the Honey Creek Loop. Your descriptions of that trail resemble those published some years ago by park rangers Brenda Coleman and Jo Anne Smith in their book "Hiking the Big South Fork".

Jeff
12-04-2016, 08:48
Great area for backpacking. One downside....ticks are everywhere, chiggars too.

rmitchell
12-04-2016, 14:20
Great area for backpacking. One downside....ticks are everywhere, chiggars too.

That's and snakes are why I prefer to hike there in cold weather.

Although a good overnight float trip is to put in at Station Camp and float north to Blue Herron. I prefer warm weather for that because you stand a chance of getting wet.
Water flow on the river can vary dramatically.

Dogwood
12-04-2016, 17:02
Poison Ivy in the warmer months too.

It's not Snake Island though with a Golden Lancehead every 6 paces forward or backwards and 3 paces either to the right or left. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/04/brazil-snake-island-viper-venom_n_5552149.html

Pants, closed shoes(no flip flops or CROCS), some permethrin or picaradin, Ivy Block, and some short gaiters to the rescue.

Jan and fall can be a great time for BSF.

Those hikes and hiking area Seistita and Illabelle talked about are very nice with many options to customize. Hikes involving the JMT along the Big S. Fork River, Station Camp Crk Tr to Charit Crk Lodge(seasonal) taking in Twin Arches, or continuing on the JMT past Maude Crack along Chestnut Ridge crossing over Divide Rd to the Sheltowee Trace southbound to the Pickett Lake area and/or back to Charit Crk Lodge makes for an excellent multi day loop. - Arches, waterfalls National Scenic River, rapids, overlooks, Part of a National Scenic Tr, a Lodge, escarpments, rock shelters, interesting geology, culture, history, uncrowded, wildlife, and rather easy logistics makes for a great hike!

https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/upload/BISO%20Brochure%202009%20map%20Reduced.pdf

BSF Wideness is nicely covered in the BSF Nat Geo Trail Illustrated map. Be aware there are use trails in several areas that aren't on maps. There's potential for off trail LNT hiking for those proficient with navigation.

The only area I'm currently concerned is EAST of Station Rd, Bandy CG. and around Oneida.are

Cookerhiker
12-04-2016, 23:02
In addition to the suggestions above, a very nice stretch is the Sheltowee along the river from Yamacraw Bridge (Rt.92) to Alum campground and beyond to Yahoo Falls, the highest in Kentucky. A short distance from Yamacraw is the Lick Creek Trail which takes you to Princess Falls in only a few tenths of a mile and further ahead, a side trail to Lick Creek Falls. This is a spectacular waterfall similar to Yahoo in that it tumbles over the top of a huge rockhouse such that you hike behind it.

Returning to the Lick Creek trail, turn right for less than a mile to another immense rockhouse.

Further north on the east side of highway 27, the Sheltowee descends to the Cumberland River and traverses alongside it for about 21 miles, passing among other things the mighty Cumberland Falls. I can't think of another trail which follows a major river along its banks for such a long stretch.

I lived in KY for 7 years and thoroughly enjoyed the hiking among the arches, rockhouses, and clifflines and along the Cumberland and BSF rivers..

Cookerhiker
12-04-2016, 23:07
" It's an interesting area geologically, almost the inverse of the Smokies. Instead of a ridgeline up high going from peak to peak, it's a river gorge down low."

That's true of the entire Cumberland Plateau region, with 'civilization' typically located up high and the remaining wild places being mostly down within the stream corridors. ...

Yes - and that's why I refer to KY as "down and up" hiking, not "up and down."

Interestingly enough, this type of terrain also exists - minus the rock formations of the Cumberland Plateau - in Northern PA on the Black Forest and Susquehannock trails and to some extent, in parts of NY's western Finger Lakes region where I currently live.

Dogwood
12-05-2016, 02:34
Indeed the hike from the Hwy 27 Sheltowee Trace TH which is accessed a bit north of Whitley City south past Yahoo Falls along the Big S Fork of the Cumberland River over Yamacraw Bridge on the Sheltowee Trace to Leatherwood Ford and possibly further south to the Honey Creek area or Burnt Mill TH which takes one further on teh JMT past the confluence of teh Big S, Fork and New Rivers is an excellent alternative to the AT. In many ways it's a more interesting hike than segment of the AT and NO WHERE NEAR AS CROWDED. The Sheltowee Trace is yet another eastern trail that doesn't get the recognition and usage it rightly deserves and the ST logistics are possibly equal or a bit easier than the BMT. :-? :confused:

Cookerhiker
12-05-2016, 09:59
In addition to the suggestions above, a very nice stretch is the Sheltowee along the river from Yamacraw Bridge (Rt.92) to Alum campground and beyond to Yahoo Falls, the highest in Kentucky. A short distance from Yamacraw is the Lick Creek Trail which takes you to Princess Falls in only a few tenths of a mile and further ahead, a side trail to Lick Creek Falls. This is a spectacular waterfall similar to Yahoo in that it tumbles over the top of a huge rockhouse such that you hike behind it.

Returning to the Lick Creek trail, turn right for less than a mile to another immense rockhouse.

Further north on the east side of highway 27, the Sheltowee descends to the Cumberland River and traverses alongside it for about 21 miles, passing among other things the mighty Cumberland Falls. I can't think of another trail which follows a major river along its banks for such a long stretch.

I lived in KY for 7 years and thoroughly enjoyed the hiking among the arches, rockhouses, and clifflines and along the Cumberland and BSF rivers..

Indeed the hike from the Hwy 27 Sheltowee Trace TH which is accessed a bit north of Whitley City south past Yahoo Falls along the Big S Fork of the Cumberland River over Yamacraw Bridge on the Sheltowee Trace to Leatherwood Ford and possibly further south to the Honey Creek area or Burnt Mill TH which takes one further on teh JMT past the confluence of teh Big S, Fork and New Rivers is an excellent alternative to the AT. In many ways it's a more interesting hike than segment of the AT and NO WHERE NEAR AS CROWDED. The Sheltowee Trace is yet another eastern trail that doesn't get the recognition and usage it rightly deserves and the ST logistics are possibly equal or a bit easier than the BMT. :-? :confused:

I wasn't clear in my post; I was referring to the hike north on the Sheltowee from Rt. 27. In any case,either direction is impressive. One can hike river-to-river between the Big South Fork and the Cumberland.

The only time the Sheltowee has any "crowd" is the monthly Sheltowee Challange hikes organized by the Sheltowee Trace Association. (http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/2016-hiker-challenge.html)

Gambit McCrae
12-05-2016, 10:09
I have hiked about 80% of the park, and the JMT twice. BSF is like my winter playground and offers a good variety of Waterfalls, vistas, and trail typs from hiking, horseback to wagon trails. The twin arches, honey creek, angel falls, grand gap loop, station camp, blue heron...There are many loop options and I rarely see more then a few hikers or bikers on the trails.

Important info:
BSF is home to about 250 bears so safe bear practices are encouraged Learn More here (https://www.nps.gov/biso/learn/nature/blackbear.htm)

Must have a permit which can be obtained online for a very small fee Click Here
(https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/online-backcountry-permits.htm)
If you are going to do a float trip (strongly encouraged as it is an amazing experience) Click Here (http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv?cb_all_00060_00065=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=7&site_no=03410210)for the Leatherwood Ford CFS updates every hour
**I would strongly encourage NOT to float the river under 500 cfs as you will end up dragging bottom, and having to port a few times.

Also when planning trips, keep a close eye on what type of trail you are planning to use. In the summer, The horse trails have a significant amount of bogginess, and an increase in nats, no seeums and black flies. In the winter, horse trails which cross streams and rivers, are not very accommodating to a hiker needing to pass a frozen river, where as most hiking trails in the park have bridges for stream crossings.

Bandy Creek CG is a nice place to base camp for a weekend and go out on day hikes More info here (https://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/bandycreekcampground.htm)

The Solemates
12-05-2016, 12:35
I'm headed there on Thursday! What great timing for the thread...

Night Train
12-06-2016, 23:34
One of my favs, enjoy your hike.

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 01:31
Thx Gambit McCrae concerning the paddle info. I never remembered to look into that. Thx so for the reminder. Yet another aspect of BSF.

KyHiker1971
12-08-2016, 21:09
One of my favorite areas to hike, besides GSMNP or Cumberland Gap. I have hiked Honey Creek, Burnt Mill Bridge Loop, Station Camp, Oscar Litten Farm Loop, Twin Arches. Hands down my favorite hikes have been in Honey Creek. The boulder scrambling and creekbed hiking is just plain fun. The last mile or so of the trail back to the TH is somewhat monotonous, but the meat and potatoes of the hike make up for it, IMO. My trail buddy and I are hiking Yamacraw Bridge to Princess Fall, up to Yahoo Arch/Falls and then down the Sheltowee along the river back to Yamacraw. Should total around 15-16 miles and will make fr a long day hike this weekend. One other plus about the BSF, is the lack of crowds on the trails and at trailhead parking areas. You typically won't see a packed lot like you would see at Chimneys or Alum Cave. Although I've seen it get "close" to full at Honey Creek and at Twin Arches.