PDA

View Full Version : newby question about mt washington

penny b
12-03-2016, 18:46
So I am still exploring the states and where the trail cuts through ... I have climbed mount Washington LONG ago when I was a teenager , but I see in the " thru-hikers companion " that the trail goes that way as well . Does the trail go by or around mount Washington or over mount Washington ?

rafe
12-03-2016, 18:53
It goes right to the summit.

GoldenBear
12-03-2016, 19:37
https://www.mobilemaplets.com/thumbnails/6202_thumbnail-1024.jpg

peakbagger
12-03-2016, 19:47
So technically per the PDF, it misses the actual summit by a very slight amount. If you want solitude take the West Side trail around the summit its the original AT route and skips the zoo on top.

rickb
12-03-2016, 19:52
So technically per the PDF, it misses the actual summit by a very slight amount. If you want solitude take the West Side trail around the summit its the original AT route and skips the zoo on top.

Alternatively, stay at Lakes of the Clouds hut and start walking north shortly after sunrise.

You will have the summit to yourself.

Kaptainkriz
12-03-2016, 20:05
My wife and I parked at Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail head over by the Cog Railway and hiked Ammonoosuc up to Lakes of the Clouds and stayed there. Next day we went to the summit. Return was via the Jewell trail to the same trailhead lot (big loop). AT passes right by Lakes of the Clouds hut, west of the summit, and continues to where we took Jewell back down. Great hike.

Alternatively, stay at Lakes of the Clouds hut and start walking north shortly after sunrise.

You will have the summit to yourself.

hikernutcasey
12-03-2016, 23:10
The trail officially goes over the summit now. I don't know the names of the trails but it routes you up and over now and doesn't bypass it anymore.

penny b
12-04-2016, 00:50
oh another miles stone to look forward too ! I drive a lot for work and see different areas the AT go through as well and keep them in my mind to remember and look for when I do my thru hike !