PDA

View Full Version : Duck v/s Goose

DanTaylor
12-03-2016, 19:22
I see some mfg using duck down over goose down. Other than cost, is there any difference in warmth, durability, etc?

egilbe
12-03-2016, 19:27
I've read that goose down is more durable, but its like 25 years vs. 30 years.

Dogwood
12-03-2016, 19:42
You'll get answers like FP is FP regardless. Aside from specs one thing I strongly strongly suspect is much of the duck down being used is not being ethically sourced. I suspect a good portion of the duck is simply being sourced as a by product of the duck meat food industry.

MuddyWaters
12-03-2016, 19:45
You'll get answers like FP is FP regardless. Aside from specs one thing I strongly strongly suspect is much of the duck down being used is not being ethically sourced. I suspect a good portion of the duck is simply being sourced as a by product of the duck meat food industry.

Well if the duck is already dead for another reason , plucking the down and using it is ethical in my book.:rolleyes:

all the animals are already raised for our use.
the only non-ethical thing to me is hurting them like live plucking .

If its a by product that makes no difference in the primary reason its raised and how its raised, then it simply makes no difference.

Most vegans will not agree.

Venchka
12-03-2016, 19:51
How do you think goose down is harvested?
The only down that I read about being collected from nesting birds is Eider down.
Ducks and geese are raised for food. No point in wasting the most valuable part.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
12-03-2016, 20:15
Sourcing eider duck down.
http://eiderdown.com/files/eider_article.pdf
WM & FF down products are cheap by comparison.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
12-03-2016, 20:22
Uh no. All goose and duck down is NOT sourced equally humanely or is a result of killing birds.

Dogwood
12-03-2016, 20:27
Even when eider goose down is harvested as by product of meat production it can be done differently hence WW starting "No, so all down harvested as a by-line to meat production is from young birds withundeveloped plumage."

cmoulder
12-03-2016, 20:29
I have a 20deg EE Enigma with 800FP duck down. Love it. I can't tell any difference with goose, but I'll get back to you in 25 years. :sun