PDA

View Full Version : "My Trail Co" Pyramid Shelters and Packs

dcdennis
12-03-2016, 19:39
Anyone have experience with their gear? The specs look incredibly light for the price but I can't find any non-partisan reviews. Even YouTube doesn't have any.

Venchka
12-03-2016, 19:54
Isn't this the Go Light company reborn? If so, they're new. It takes time to get products out in the field.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
12-03-2016, 19:56
Yep. GoLite reborn.
http://mytrailco.com/?gclid=CIWBuMmc2dACFQWewAodGv4JHA
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcdennis
12-03-2016, 20:16
Was there something wrong with GoLite? Whats the story here?

egilbe
12-03-2016, 20:25
http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_27778120/bankruptcy-dismissed-boulders-golite-hints-at-new-company

mismanaged would be my guess.

scooterdogma
12-10-2016, 17:43
I loved GoLIte, I have several pieces of their gear. All well made, weights as advertised, and very reasonably priced. Everything I have is still going strong after many years.
I wouldn't hesitate buying from his new company. Glad to see he made it back.

MuddyWaters
12-10-2016, 17:54

Golite could never make up their mind what they wanted to be
They tried to be everything to everyone
ended up being nothing to anyone

They started out light
got progressively heavier trying to target more mainstream
Untl they jokingly were known as Go Heavy

A significant problem is business model that simply outsources chinese goods and resells them with a logo

Never kept the same products very long
Never had anything you wanted in stock
If people liked something, it was discontinued and couldnt get it again
When you order products 6 months in advance or more, and resell, that is what happens

Pretty much just became useless

In a nutshell, tried to grow too fast, the wrong way, went bankrupt.

jeffmeh
12-11-2016, 09:14
I have some Golite gear (shorts, rain pants), and I am quite happy with it. I am less happy about the number of solicitations I have received inviting me to invest in the new company, particularly given that the prior incarnation declared bankruptcy and stiffed its creditors. I wish them well, but I can think of better uses of my money. :)

nsherry61
12-11-2016, 09:45
Wow. MuddyWaters and Jeffmeh, in combination, nailed my sentiment perfectly!

If the new incarnation gets its act together I might start paying attention, but I'm not interested in spending any of my time or money doing anything more the hitting the delete key on the continuous stream of solicitation trying to get me to invest in a new company with its primary accomplishment being that it is managed by a person or team that took a great and successful idea (previously know as GoLite) and ran it bankrupt through exceptionally poor choices and poor management.

egilbe
12-11-2016, 13:58
Every successful entrepreneur usually has two or three failures before they learn how to be a good business manager. I'll wait until the third or fourth iteration.

Grunt
12-13-2016, 18:00
I have Golite gear and have always been a big fan. Can't comment on the business side but always had good customer relations. Their packs are solid for their weight with gear weight under 30 lbs; I have their Imogene 2 person tent that is outstanding. I was really really happy MyTrailCo started up... I searched for a long time to find a used Golite's teepee tent.... just makes sense.... so, my hiking buddy and I bought MyTrailCo version Pyramid 4 and split the weight (3 lbs each). Now I've spent 10 plus years living in backpacking tents 1 and 2 persons and have no real complaints but I can tell you as the years add on the absolute comfort of SPACE is a BIG PLUS. No kidding... the P4 is really big and there is a smaller version that would IMHO be ideal for one or two people. We used the P4 on a recent section through the Shenandoah's where the reports of camping aren't good and we never had a real issue with this big tent. I think for the money their gear is as good if not better than other's out there.... but cheaper price wise.

Hosh
12-13-2016, 18:21
Without being on the inside, it's difficult to understand why a company seeks bankruptcy protection. They were unable to get chapter 11 status, so limited or no liquid assets was probably an issue. "Mis-management" is a catchall for people who have never managed a company or started a business.

They did have a unique business model with brick and mortar stores in Denver, Boulder and FOCO.

Bottom line is they made some nice gear, my daughter has one of their packs and some of their outerwear. I agree with Scooterdogma and would be comfortable with a gear purchase.

G-FOURce
12-14-2016, 16:24
I believe Big Agnes bought some of GoLite's materials inventory and rebranded the "Imogene 2" as the "Triangle Mountain UL2". I suspect that happened somewhere b/w when GoLite went tits-up and before MTC was born. I have the Triangle Mountain UL2 and used it last weekend hiking up Big Creek Trail to Lower Walnut Bottom in GSMNP. I did replace all the heavier cordage on the tent's guy lines and stake tie-outs with lighter cordage, but otherwise the tent is solid. Love it.

Mags
12-14-2016, 21:03
Without being on the inside, it's difficult to understand why a company seeks bankruptcy protection

From the source:

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/morning_call/2014/11/golite-cofounder-hopes-to-keep-company-going.html?r=full

"Coupounas told BizWest the company made a couple of mistakes. Leasing retail locations that were too large was one mistake. The other was expanding too quickly into the apparel business."

Hosh
12-14-2016, 21:50
Well, apparently they had limited space for the article and took the founder's word as gospel. Not saying it's not correct also not saying it's good journalism.

His largest creditor probably forced the decision to liquidate under Chapter 7 and not continue operations under Chapter 11.

Good news is they are taking another shot at it, licking their wounds and rubbing their scars.

BTW the store in FOCO was pretty small

Mags
12-14-2016, 22:03
scars.

BTW the store in FOCO was pretty small

They had quite a few B&M locations, though, at one point.

Selling button down shirts, corduroys, etc. did not help. Too small of a company.

Muddy Waters summed it up quite nicely above.

Hosh
12-14-2016, 23:14
Except it is a means to grow a company based on a favorable brand/image in the market place. The tricky part is managing growth while keeping liquidity intact. Otherwise others start to make key decisions for you.

Just Bill
12-15-2016, 15:26
It's a better brand than other bargain stuff or housebrand gear I suppose...

But I don't see that much has changed other than reducing the number of products they have out (for now).
MW nailed the two biggest problems (made overseas in big bulk runs) and no inventory/supply chain control as a result.

And biz model-
They basically were selling packs to REI for $100, then REI sold them for $200.
Then they said screw it, we'll sell direct for $100 to our customers.
Then they said, this is great and folks love us... let's open a store. Then more stores, then more stuff.

Except they stuck with the base online pricing and never added any overhead to cover the B&M stores or all the busted inventory... eventually they went broke.

Nothing against Coop... I haven't even opened a company big enough to bankrupt.
Though at least he's got his packs at $150 now.

But there are plenty of great cottage folks worth supporting who make much better stuff at a much better value IMO.
People credit them with a lot of innovation but most of their stuff was Ray Jardine's stuff before they broke up... and between Jardine and Glen VanPeski most of those designs have formed the basis of all modern LD backpacking gear.

There are folks making their gear in the USA worth supporting.
Or Chinese knock off folks selling for cheaper if that's your thing.

GoLite paved the way for the cottage industry model... for that I thank 'em.
I don't wish them any ill will, but I'd rather buy REI housebrand (co-op) stuff if I wanted a cheap down vest or similar.

Course as I write this I'm wearing a golite down vest from the going out of biz sale... that's falling apart and suitable for town wear only at this point.

MuddyWaters
12-15-2016, 17:25
Golite tried to basically be a cool house brand like llbean that sold direct. And could sell luggage, clothing, hiking gear , ski gear, almost anything, to persons who wanted their logo on it. Larger customer base = more $$$, right??

They abandoned light wt hikers and runners in the process for all practicle purposes. The jam , a frameless pack, ballooned to 32 oz. They were.....without a working rudder.

Problem...it was mostly just OK chinese gear. Not great. When they had something good...they never ordered it again, but they kept on website. 75% of website couldnt be purchased id guess. Even customer service couldnt tell you when or if something would be in stock again.

egilbe
12-15-2016, 19:46
Growing too fast is mismanagement. Losing focus on core products is mismanagement. Snorting all your profits up your nose is mismanagement. Buying million dollar houses instead of investing, or reinvesting the profits back into the company is mismanagement. Its a term that is a catchall for those who have tried and failed without the foresight, experience or wisdom to properly manage a company. Its a term that fits. Properly managed companies rarely fail.

LL Bean started with a pair of rubber boots because a Hunter's feet was cold. They still make that one core product. There are members of the Bean family that will never manage any part of the company because they are unwilling to learn how to manage. I hope to God she never gets control of the company.

Mags
12-15-2016, 20:39
Of interest to some. Looks like GoLite 2.0 now has a B&M store in Boulder again:
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_30664126

G-FOURce
12-16-2016, 12:43
I believe Big Agnes bought some of GoLite's materials inventory and rebranded the "Imogene 2" as the "Triangle Mountain UL2". I suspect that happened somewhere b/w when GoLite went tits-up and before MTC was born. I have the Triangle Mountain UL2 and used it last weekend hiking up Big Creek Trail to Lower Walnut Bottom in GSMNP. I did replace all the heavier cordage on the tent's guy lines and stake tie-outs with lighter cordage, but otherwise the tent is solid. Love it.

In case anyone might be interested in a pic, see attached.

Hosh
12-16-2016, 20:49
Growing too fast is mismanagement. Losing focus on core products is mismanagement. Snorting all your profits up your nose is mismanagement. Buying million dollar houses instead of investing, or reinvesting the profits back into the company is mismanagement. Its a term that is a catchall for those who have tried and failed without the foresight, experience or wisdom to properly manage a company. Its a term that fits. Properly managed companies rarely fail.

Well, I must now accept your catchall, in spite of my own reservations, based upon your experience of creating, nurturing, and sustaining successful businesses.

Franco
12-16-2016, 21:48
The Imogene 2 and 3 were also sold in Europe as Alpkit Ordos 2 and 3.
more peculiar to me was when Big Agnes used a Golite photo of the Shangri La 5, changed the colour and call it the Yhamonite. (yes it is the same photo, same wrinkles, same shadows...)

MuddyWaters
12-16-2016, 22:06
I bought an imogene 3 for me and my son, ended up returning it.
Dont remember all the things I didnt like
I remember I had issues with packing it up...really was a nightmare to try to fit into stuffsak (most silynylon is), and the bent poles created some issues with packing them compactly too.
The fly had to be 10d or so, I think the hydrostatic head was very low too?
Back end I didnt like

Just didnt have a good feel overall to me. But it was light and price was good on sale.