PDA

View Full Version : Justification to Thru Hike

goldielocks
12-04-2016, 21:58
I will admit that I may be the only one struggling with this, but I highly suspect others out there are experiencing the same concerns.
I feel the need to justify to myself that taking off from life for 6 months to thru hike the AT is an acceptable choice. Every day I alternate between two extremes of "This is happening. It's now or never." and "This is a poor decision. Maybe you should wait a couple more years."

So, I guess my main question : How do you justify quitting your job and/or responsibilities to take half a year to thru hike the AT?

Old Hiker
12-04-2016, 22:06
Don't need to justify a thing. You either do it or live with the regret of NOT doing it. Me: I regret DOING it to the extent that I'm still sore, beat up and stiff 2 months AFTER I completed my thru.

Still, glad I did it.

AtWokman
12-04-2016, 22:13
[QUOTE=Old Hiker;2109398]Don't need to justify a thing. You either do it or live with the regret of NOT doing it. Me: I regret DOING it to the extent that I'm still sore, beat up and stiff 2 months AFTER I completed my thru.

Me too. Feet finally look like pretrail feet

goldielocks
12-04-2016, 22:17
Wow! Quick responses. Thank you!
I guess you're right, Old Hiker. You either do or you don't. I suppose there exists the possibility of regret one way or another.

Greenlight
12-04-2016, 22:21
You aren't the only one struggling with that question. Every single individual who has thru-hiked, or even attempted, has asked themselves that question. First, there are two "big categories" of AT thru-hikers.

1. Recent graduates (college or even high school)
2. Recent retirees

Most of the rest are section hikers, or day hikers. And as reality and perhaps marginal sanity would suggest, those are the crowds for which the AT was envisioned and built. What nut would even think of attempting to hike the whole thing in one enormous gulp? Well, Earl Shaffer, Emma Gatewood, and tens of thousands of others, as history has told and continues to tell. The trail is as popular as it has ever been in it's history.

But to your question: How can I justify taking the time off, perhaps even quitting your job, to hike the trail?

It's a balance. Everyone is different. Some have no spouses or children to consider. Some of those who do have those relationships, also have understanding spouses and children. David Miller (AWOL) talks about this sporadically in his book "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail." Gary Sizer (Where's the Next Shelter) and his girlfriend also had a relationship in which neither of them told the other what they could or couldn't do, but tried instead to accommodate each other's dreams and help them to make their dreams a reality. I would suggest that it is a combination of factors. It will either work for you or it won't. Your "why" is either big enough, or it isn't. All of this presupposes that you won't have a hike ending injury or illness.

For those on the margins of being thru-ready, maybe it's how you sell it. If you haven't thought about it enough to even have the pitch, maybe you're not ready, or maybe the thru isn't for you right now. Maybe the circumstance aren't right. That's ok. If you have the "why" and the opportunity, and the money, and the support, my question to you would be "why in the hell aren't you on the trail, or starting in April or May of next year?

Personally, my why is strong enough and I have the support, but I don't yet have the resources or the time off to thru. I know that I will within the next seven years, probably within the next two. So that's when I've placed my start date on trailjournals.com

If you have the money and the support, and haven't yet started college, or haven't yet started your first job after college, and your "why" is big enough, hike the trail.

If you're retiring, hike the trail.

If you have the money set aside and your major relationships (the ones whose opinions you value) say do it, hike the trail. You'll find another job, and even if you don't, this is America. You'll be ok.

If you don't have a big enough "why", your major relationships don't support you, you don't have the money, and can't afford the time off...don't hike the trail.

Or maybe say feck it and hike the trail anyways.

It really doesn't matter, and even if it did, would you care? Life goes on.

Just my opinion.

Presumptive Class of '20 but hiking every weekend in prep,

~Greenlight (trail-named at Mount Collins Shelter, April 2015)

Dogwood
12-04-2016, 22:41
We give meaning to decisions, make decisions, often based on knowing the pros and cons of the options very well or understanding them before hand. Here you may not fully know either until you experience them.

MuddyWaters
12-04-2016, 22:46
Its up to you how to spend your life.

Why do you need to justify it? And to whom?

Can you justify loving someone? Having kids? Having pets?

We do some things because they make our lives richer.

Thats all the justification necessary.

No one ever dies with the thought that they wished they worked more, made more money, had a nicer house, etc. Life is about people and experiences.

If you have opportunity, and desire, and financial means ....go for it.

Engine
12-05-2016, 05:22
I spent most of my adult life dreaming of the day when I would be able to free enough time to hike the trail. After 26 years of working an honest 60-70 hours a week, I retired early and 2017 will finally be the year.

If your current job isn't something you see yourself sticking with in the long term, I would say go; if you are serious about thru-hiking and it's very important to you, make it happen. There is no telling what could happen and you might never get another opportunity.

TylerJ76
12-05-2016, 09:24
You aren't the only one struggling with that question. Every single individual who has thru-hiked, or even attempted, has asked themselves that question. First, there are two "big categories" of AT thru-hikers.

1. Recent graduates (college or even high school)
2. Recent retirees

Most of the rest are section hikers, or day hikers. And as reality and perhaps marginal sanity would suggest, those are the crowds for which the AT was envisioned and built. What nut would even think of attempting to hike the whole thing in one enormous gulp? Well, Earl Shaffer, Emma Gatewood, and tens of thousands of others, as history has told and continues to tell. The trail is as popular as it has ever been in it's history.

But to your question: How can I justify taking the time off, perhaps even quitting your job, to hike the trail?

It's a balance. Everyone is different. Some have no spouses or children to consider. Some of those who do have those relationships, also have understanding spouses and children. David Miller (AWOL) talks about this sporadically in his book "AWOL on the Appalachian Trail." Gary Sizer (Where's the Next Shelter) and his girlfriend also had a relationship in which neither of them told the other what they could or couldn't do, but tried instead to accommodate each other's dreams and help them to make their dreams a reality. I would suggest that it is a combination of factors. It will either work for you or it won't. Your "why" is either big enough, or it isn't. All of this presupposes that you won't have a hike ending injury or illness.

For those on the margins of being thru-ready, maybe it's how you sell it. If you haven't thought about it enough to even have the pitch, maybe you're not ready, or maybe the thru isn't for you right now. Maybe the circumstance aren't right. That's ok. If you have the "why" and the opportunity, and the money, and the support, my question to you would be "why in the hell aren't you on the trail, or starting in April or May of next year?

Personally, my why is strong enough and I have the support, but I don't yet have the resources or the time off to thru. I know that I will within the next seven years, probably within the next two. So that's when I've placed my start date on trailjournals.com

If you have the money and the support, and haven't yet started college, or haven't yet started your first job after college, and your "why" is big enough, hike the trail.

If you're retiring, hike the trail.

If you have the money set aside and your major relationships (the ones whose opinions you value) say do it, hike the trail. You'll find another job, and even if you don't, this is America. You'll be ok.

If you don't have a big enough "why", your major relationships don't support you, you don't have the money, and can't afford the time off...don't hike the trail.

Or maybe say feck it and hike the trail anyways.

It really doesn't matter, and even if it did, would you care? Life goes on.

Just my opinion.

Presumptive Class of '20 but hiking every weekend in prep,

~Greenlight (trail-named at Mount Collins Shelter, April 2015)

Great Post.

greensleep
12-05-2016, 09:29
To face a challenge, fulfill a dream, and if nothing else, to get over myself.

Greenlight
12-05-2016, 09:46
I like this very much.

To face a challenge, fulfill a dream, and if nothing else, to get over myself.

DavidNH
12-05-2016, 09:49
justification: you have the resources to do it, you've always wanted to do it, thus you do it.

JC13
12-05-2016, 10:13
Personally, anything I have to justify to myself, 99% of the time it isn't something I came out better for on the other side.

To hack Yoda... Do or Do not, there is no justify.

rafe
12-05-2016, 10:43
This is one of those questions... where I don't quite see the point of asking strangers on a forum. For a hundred hikers, there will be a thousand answers.

Everyone's got their own situations, motivations, rationales and justifications. A thru hike isn't for everyone. It's not a terribly rational thing to do. You can just as well walk the AT as a series of section hikes. Or walk as little or as much as you like, as often as you like, or just the parts you like.

Five months of your life spent grunting up and down rocky trails all day, far from home, and sleeping mostly in the woods, in all kinds of weather... you have to really want it and enjoy it.

jgillam
12-05-2016, 11:02
Others have said it, but as a responsible adult,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgillam
12-05-2016, 11:24
Others have said it, but as a responsible adult,

Sorry, I bumped the send button early. Anyway....

Others have said it but, I cannot be flippant about this. As a responsible adult with a decent State job, a busy wife and kids, in order for me to take on something of this magnitude, I do feel as though I have to justify it. Mostly because I need my families full support and for my job to allow me the time off.

Hiking the AT is something that has burned in me for over a decade now and I am finally starting to see where most everything will come together to the extent that I will finally be able attempt it (in 2020) with a clear mind, mostly free of the worries of adult life. The kids are getting bigger, finances are solid, my mortgage will be paid off (15 years early..yay!!) and my in-laws are in a position where they can help my wife out as needed.

While I feel like I have earned this, I still have to justify it but, everyone is in a different position.

Bronk
12-05-2016, 14:57
Lions don't waste time worrying about what sheep think. Which one are you?

HooKooDooKu
12-05-2016, 14:58
Asking for a justification to do a thru-hike is like asking for justification to vacation at Disney World.

There's no need to justify it.

If you have the means, the time, and the desire, and the trip will not usurp some responsibility you have, then just go do it.
But if such a trip is going to conflict with a responsibility, then I would say that you need to postpone any trip until you've dealt with your responsibilities.

Christoph
12-05-2016, 18:56
Timing was one of the main factors in my decision to try to go for it. Recently retired from the Air Force and this was my dream. Now, I'm working but still planning a re-attempt. Regrets? Not this guy, I was glad to have had the opportunity to try and actually have another opportunity(s) in the near future. I think if you're questioning it and don't have a plan for those at home (financially, things always break when you're gone, etc), might want to give it another year. Nothing wrong with that. But, if you're one of the lucky ones that have a chance to take up to 6 months off, then plan for these things and go for it.

ScareBear
12-05-2016, 19:26
Justification?

I ain't gonna live forever,
I just wanna live while I'm alive...
It's......MY.......life.

ScareBear
12-05-2016, 19:45
Personally, anything I have to justify to myself, 99% of the time it isn't something I came out better for on the other side.

To hack Yoda... Do or Do not, there is no justify.

To complete the Yoda hack...."Do or not Do, to yourself only must you justify."

rafe
12-05-2016, 21:19
So, I guess my main question : How do you justify quitting your job and/or responsibilities to take half a year to thru hike the AT?

Just what are those responsibilities? Can they be met while you're hiking? Quitting a job, giving up five or six months of income typically carries risks and consequences, unless you're well-off financially or retired. Got a family? Kids? Others that need your support? Paying for a house, car, or health insurance? That can make it tough. Most AT thru hikers are either young, pre-career, or retired. Most are fresh out high school, college, or military service. Thru-hikers in mid-life or mid-career are relatively rare.

A handful are just sort of... trail bums. They lead a relatively marginal existence, catch odd jobs where they can, and live to hike.

I was mid-career, no kids, no debts, recently divorced. The choice was easy. Sticking with that choice was harder.

jgillam
12-05-2016, 22:17
One of my biggest hurdles will be clearing it through work. Since I likely won't have 6 months of vacation time, I will have to get special approval from the State. Unfortunately, there isn't much room for negotiation at this level. Even if I am able to get approval for the time, I will have to prepay all of my insurance premiums and who know what else. Six months off work won't be cheap either but, I'm sure it will be worth it.

Worst case scenario, I am faced with walking away from a good job with benefits and a solid retirement...just to go on a walk while I am reasonable young. While there are days when this option sounds okay...I hope I can work something out...because I'm probably going to do it anyway...lol.

Carbo
12-05-2016, 22:28
2017 will be my 3rd attempt at a thru after failing the last two times. Having tried and failed feels ok. At least its better than sitting in my lazy boy recliner wondering what it would have been like.

Carbo
12-05-2016, 22:44
Also, I'm not justifying quitting a job or responsibilities to take a half year off to thru hike the AT. Just saying if you don't try, it will nag you for a long, long time.

Deadeye
12-05-2016, 23:09
It's totally unjustifiable. Stay home.

Pressure D
12-05-2016, 23:48
I agree with Deadeye. I honestly started dreaming about thru hiking when I was 20 years old. I thru hiked in 2013 when I was 56 years old and had retired from teaching and coaching! I waited 36 years.I had four kids and my youngest was a freshmen in college and a son was a senior. I actually got an incentive to retire that year. I think if you have to quit your good job and give up your good pension you may live to regret it.

rafe
12-06-2016, 00:18
Justification to Thru Hike...

Maybe there should be an app for that. :p

rafe
12-06-2016, 00:23
The 20 answers inside a standard Magic 8 Ball are:

It is certain
It is decidedly so
Without a doubt
Yes, definitely
You may rely on it
As I see it, yes
Most likely
Outlook good
Yes
Signs point to yes
Reply hazy try again
Ask again later
Better not tell you now
Cannot predict now
Concentrate and ask again
Don't count on it
My reply is no
My sources say no
Outlook not so good
Very doubtful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_8-Ball

Dogwood
12-06-2016, 00:52
lo. the all knowing AT magical crystal ball.

jj dont play
12-06-2016, 01:01
Talk to those who have done it.
Haven't found anyone that regretted it, me included.
That should be justification enough.

jeff_in_MD
12-06-2016, 02:50
Lions don't waste time worrying about what sheep think. Which one are you?
Lions don't worry about sheep because they usually don't live in the same location.

The justification for doing it is 1) you want to, and 2) you have no guarantees in life so why not.

Dogwood
12-06-2016, 03:17
I will admit that I may be the only one struggling with this, but I highly suspect others out there are experiencing the same concerns.
I feel the need to justify to myself that taking off from life for 6 months to thru hike the AT is an acceptable choice. Every day I alternate between two extremes of "This is happening. It's now or never." and "This is a poor decision. Maybe you should wait a couple more years."

I'd get clear whether it is you alone who is desiring justification based on your own beliefs and doubts OR is someone else demanding you to justify your decision based on their doubts or beliefs of what doing a thru-hike means. YOU define what your thru-hike will mean.

This is the more important, know the WHYS you are considering thru hiking. KNOW WHY you've decided to thru-hike and know, with clarity, the WHY you decided not to thru-hike. Make those WHYS so powerful, so positive, so clear, so huge, so grounded in your being. The deeper and purer your whys, the greater your ability to conquer and the easier it is to know your justifications. The whys will help you during your hike and the justifications will be empowering you rather than be a hurdle.

Quitting responsibilities is NOT, DEFINITELY NOT, a requirement for doing a thru-hike. If that is what you believe you are mistaken. Don't do a thru-hike with the thought you are quitting or avoiding commitments or responsibilities. Don't organize a thru-hike to run away from commitment or responsibility for you will surely eventually realize that completing a thru-hike entails a huge amount of commitment and personal responsibility that everyone does not rise to the occasion of. Mind you this type of personal responsibility may be viewed differently then off trail or not understood by those who have never experienced a thru-hike based on empowering oneself and others but it is NO LESS VALID for it certainly involves stepping up to fulfill commitments and personal responsibility in some of the most fundamental ways that are often assumed for granted.

This is one of the most beautiful aspects of doing a thru-hike - the vast opportunity for experiencing exponential personal development, empowerment, and practicing critical thinking skills. A thru-hike is about greater self awareness, commitment and responsibility...NOT LESS. Don't let it be less. A thru-hike DOE NOT have to be defined by you as imposing yourself! Thru-hiking DOES NOT HAVE TO BE defined or experienced as a self absorbed selfish vacation experience where one is goofing off, satisfying exuberant misguided youthful wild oats, or an attempt to be something your not. Traveling and thru-hiking is about exploring you and the world with a more profound perspective. Thru-hiking can be approached in an attitude and willingness to contribute to bettering the welfare of others such as an evangelist does which simply can mean - a messenger of good tidings - minus the religious connotations. A thru-hike can be approached as a learning experience that will help you socially, emotionally, spiritually, and physically...and career wise. Thru-hiking can be deemed one of the best and cheapest self improvement seminars, obstacle courses, inspirational and entrepreneurial events, and gym memberships imaginable. Thru hiking can be a sobering experience that leads one onto a new pattern of single minded thinking rather than being wishy washy, double minded, or constantly being a doubting Thomas. Thru-hiking can be about investing in a better you, a more joyous, wiser, loving, generous, hopeful, positive, optimistic, and insightful you and a better world. Thru hiking is about following through!

The thru hiking experience can help you get clear about career paths and lifestyle choices. Decisions that can be parlayed into more rewarding career choices based on what you feel compassionate and inspired about pursuing rather than following a boring rote as determined by others career path that could result in you becoming a talented leader in your choice of career and lifestyle. A six month thru-hike can be a reboot resulting in a clarity and sobriety from the entrapments of civilization and other cultural noise that results in you knowing what you want to personally stand for and how to let go of that which you come to realize is not taking you in the most empowering direction. Think. Don't let anyone tell you a thru hike can't be parlayed into a resume building integrated stepping stone to a better more qualified more rewarding career life. When you define your thru-hike as a character building success oriented goal driven critical social skills building achievement attaining event where you repeatedly had to expand your awarenesses on a daily basis, stick to schedules, push past untold challenges, and repeatedly demonstrate cooperative effective team unity and equally the ability to be a a quick self starter that has enabled you to see clearly what you have to offer and the direction you want to go potential employees will listen! If they don't find one that values what you have to offer!

Don't sell yourself short. Don't sell the thru hiking experience short of what it can be. You define it. Thru-hiking can be the opportunistic vehicle of a lifetime that opens you up to a new exciting you or stokes that which is already in you waiting to to be unleashed with the help of a Greater Power, GOD, Nature, The Great OM, Universe, or whatever.

Once you plan for and define your thru-hike(your goal) in these terms and organize it as such the personal justifications should be what stokes you to go after it rather than be something that you see as a hurdle. A thru-hike should be something designed that you seek to run to, to embrace, to better yourself, and better the world not something that you do to run away from commitment, responsibility, and that which in your heart and soul you know you should be doing instead.

When you're in the right place doing the right thing in the right season that the Universe called in you to do in that season no matter how hard, how challenging, or how gut wrenching it may seem, you'll know it.

rickb
12-06-2016, 05:44
The justification for doing it is 1) you want to, and 2) you have no guarantees in life so why not.

Even if you are married?

Apart from everything else-- meaning the really important justifications which the OP needs to wrestle with -- I would remind him that a whole lot of folks discover they neither have the physical ability (injuries or resilience), emotional mindset, or desire to complete a thru hike AFTER they are out on the Trail.

I would recommend that he screw all family vacations next year and hike a few weeks at 12 -15 miles a day, and ponder how he can justify 6 months of that, together with all the other changes he will foist upon his family.

That will ill yield a far better answer than any of us can come up with, I think.

-Rush-
12-06-2016, 13:03

You have to let go of everything temporarily to do it. That's part of the allure. If you're lucky - aka in the right statistic percentile - justification will manifest while you're on the trail and you may go on to complete it.

MarkD
12-06-2016, 13:48
I've been lurking here for a long time but this topic was the first one to lure me into registering and posting. I've wrestled with this question a lot as I prepare for my 2017 NOBO thru.

I'm a little atypical for a thru-hiker, I’m in my late 30s which brings different concerns and challenges compared to those on either end of the age/career spectrum. On the plus side, I can afford to be unemployed for an extended period, don't have any family obligations, and am in physical condition to complete the trek (I hope). Who knows whether I'll have all those things going for me in the future? On the other hand, I'll be walking away from a great job, I live alone and have to figure out what to do with my house (do I sell the house and store my stuff? rent it?, find someone to watch/maintain it? etc...), and am recovering from an injury that’s taken me away from distance running for almost 6 months (will I be fully healed by Spring?).

As I’ve tried to justify the idea of a thru-hike it's been no-contest, a thru-hike would single handedly be the dumbest, most irresponsible thing I've ever done. That said, in my entire adult life I haven't been half as excited about anything as I am the prospect of a thru-hike, I'm ready for some life changes regardless of whether or not I take the plunge, and I think I can do it without "the end of the world". Greenlight's comment kind of sums up the argument I've made to myself:

For me, there's no way to justify a thru-hike using purely logical arguments, I'll risk giving up a lot of what I've worked hard for over the years (whether or not a thru-hike will have a major negative impact is debatable but I have to consider the possibility). What I've started to realize is that so many of those old clichés really do have meaning: you only live once, you can't take it with you, you only regret the things you don't do, take your pick, they're all beginning to seem increasingly prescient. I’ve come to the conclusion that if I feel the need to justify the hike then I’m probably not ready to make the commitment.

Fortunately, I’m losing the urge to justify.

Greenlight
12-06-2016, 14:04
Fortunately, I’m losing the urge to justify.

Don't just stand there, brother, drink the Kool-Aid; it's cherry!

trailblaser
12-06-2016, 14:24
I spent most of my adult life dreaming of the day when I would be able to free enough time to hike the trail. After 26 years of working an honest 60-70 hours a week, I retired early and 2017 will finally be the year.

If your current job isn't something you see yourself sticking with in the long term, I would say go; if you are serious about thru-hiking and it's very important to you, make it happen. There is no telling what could happen and you might never get another opportunity.

I totally agree with Engine. I have also dreamed of one day hiking the AT but realistically i could not because of my job which i had every intentions on hopefully retiring from one day. i am happy to say that at 50 yrs young i am now retired as of last week and will finally pursue my life long dream. My point is, while you don't have to justify what you are passionate about, there is still a level of prioritizing. But if you have the the luxury and the support to quit your job and follow your dream, then by all means go for it. Happy trails

illabelle
12-06-2016, 14:27
MarkD,
Go on a section hike. Can be a few days or a few weeks, whatever time you can work out. Make the decision from the trail, not from your living room. Stand on a mountaintop or sleep under the stars or navigate through a rock jungle - and then decide if you want to do this.

Oh, and by the way, :welcome

Zed
12-06-2016, 16:44
For the past few years, I have been focused on retiring early and attempting a thru hike "some day". Work has been a bit slow this year, so I was able to take 18 days to hike the Ouachita Trail in May, and 38 on the Colorado Trail from August 25th to October 1. I can say I'm hooked. I am planning a thru starting in April 2017, either on the AT or PCT.

I'm delaying early retirement for a slightly later retirement. In my line of work, there is a chance for debilitating injury almost every day, so hiking now while I'm healthy rather than waiting for a retirement that may not come just makes sense to me. I'm lucky that I have a supportive wife, a career that does not penalize if I drop out for months, and no children.

I would agree with those who say to get out and hike. I would suggest a week at least. It's possible that you might not enjoy long distance hiking, and weekend trips are for you. There is nothing wrong with that, but better to find out before you quit a job. Also, having supportive family is important. If your spouse isn't on board, you will have a hard time. Life goes on at home, and you don't need to hear about how everything is falling apart when you call home.

If you have a support from home, and can handle the financial hit, do it. No better time than now!

-Journeyman

Dogwood
12-06-2016, 17:02
You have to let go of everything temporarily to do it. That's part of the allure...

I disagree with the notion that you have to let go of everything to thru hike as if it's a necessity. This is a common misconception perpetuated by those that organize, or more accurately lack organization and the forethought, to design their thru-hikes to be a positive experience BOTH simultaneously addressing off trails aspects of their life and on trail aspects of their life.

In this age, perhaps at no other time in history, has their been made available ample opportunity to address off trail commitments and responsibilities while on an AT thru-hike. I do it. I've seen countless others that do it too.

There's a mistaken idea that one has to neglect commitment and responsibility off trail while being on trail. These two aspects of one's life can be integrated leading to success in both areas.

Instead of giving greater creedence to stories of how one has to absolutely 'let go of everything' to thru-hike I sincerely suggest giving greater weight to those that accomplish this through their, not someone else's, personal accounting of how they do it.

dudeijuststarted
12-06-2016, 17:21
I watched this video and 3 months later set out for a thru hike with absolutely zero doubt in my mind. This still applies to every day of my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMsvHVITCGE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMsvHVITCGE)

sadlowskiadam
12-07-2016, 15:48
The decision to thru hiking is like having kids: it's never the "right" time, but you never regret the decision once it happens.

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 17:10
The decision to thru hiking is like having kids: it's never the "right" time, but you never regret the decision once it happens.

Umm, uhh plenty of folks conscientiously plan for having children. Not all children arrive on the scene as consequences of unthoughtful unplanned unbridled self centered live in the moment screw the potential consequences behavior.

Greenlight
12-07-2016, 17:13
Umm, uhh plenty of folks conscientiously plan for having children. Not all children arrive on the scene as consequences of unthoughtful unplanned unbridled self centered live in the moment screw the potential consequences behavior.

I guess us Catholics are just screwed then.

Another Kevin
12-07-2016, 17:15

True enough - but those are exactly the ones who are MOST aware that it isn't the "right time." They're just also aware that a better time isn't coming.

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 18:16
Lol If the individual is conscious enough to perceive a better time isn't foreseen maybe that's an indication to consciously plan for not having children? Jus saying.

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 18:18
I guess us Catholics are just screwed then.

Treading lightly. Don't you know what your guy has said? Pope Francis - "avoiding pregnancy is not an absolute evil." How well stated. :)

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 18:24
I disagree with the notion that you have to let go of everything to thru hike as if it's a necessity. This is a common misconception perpetuated by those that organize, or more accurately lack organization and the forethought, to design their thru-hikes to be a positive experience BOTH simultaneously addressing off trails aspects of their life and on trail aspects of their life.

Regret not having reworded this so that it does not imply the reasons for not thru-hiking always relate to a lack of organization or forethought. Everyone has their own reasons, their own situations, that can justify any personal decisions.

Another Kevin
12-07-2016, 19:00
Lol If the individual is conscious enough to perceive a better time isn't foreseen maybe that's an indication to consciously plan for not having children? Jus saying.

We may be in violent agreement once again. Did my wife and I know what we were getting into? Surely not! Could we know what we were getting into? Without having experienced it, I don't think anyone knows what parenting is like. Could we offer an ideal environment and bring a child into the world at a perfect moment? Of course not! Would waiting help? Not really. So we did the best we could. I think the kid turned out OK. She's living on her own, and gainfully employed, in a job that makes a difference in people's lives. Would I make the decision to have her if we had it to do over again. Definitely!

Any big life decision, or even a medium-sized life decision such as the decision to thru-hike, is the same. Nobody knows what the consequences will be, and nobody ever has all the ducks in a row. You do what you can with the hand you're dealt.

As you point out, everyone has their own reasons for their personal decisions. I'll most likely never be a thru-hiker, not because of lack of organization or forethought, but perhaps because of too much forethought. I can see too many ways in which I'd regret that decision. There are too many responsibilities that I'd leave unfulfilled, too many tasks that I'd neglect, too many people depending on me that I'd leave behind. I'll keep on enjoying the hiking that I do, and enduring the sneers of some of the Real Hikers.

jjozgrunt
12-07-2016, 19:06
I feel the need to justify to myself that taking off from life for 6 months to thru hike the AT is an acceptable choice.

I've read this whole thread and there are some interesting points. I've taken this bit out of your question because to me this is the guts of your doubts. You are not taking off from 6 months off life but taking 6 months to enjoy life.

Sometimes what's happening in our life does not allow us to do the things we want and we have to wait. I had planned to do the AT in 2015 and this year would have been doing the PCT, but other things popped up that prevented that. But if the gods are smiling and this is your only doubt then go for it. You can never tell what is waiting around the corner, injury, illness, change of circumstances can mean you may never end up doing this.

As long as you have the financial capability and other circumstances are right then HOW much do you want it?

RockDoc
12-07-2016, 20:05
Use the "deathbed" test. Will you regret doing/not doing it on your deathbed?

The fact is that we regret more things that we didn't do, than those that we did (because doing is living, not doing is not living).

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 20:40
...Did my wife and I know what we were getting into? Surely not! Could we know what we were getting into? Without having experienced it, I don't think anyone knows what parenting is like.

Nobody knows what the consequences will be, and nobody ever has all the ducks in a row. You do what you can with the hand you're dealt...

Doesn't register.

I'm sure a smart considerate person as yourself, and I assume that plays into the character of your wife and the decision to marry that specific person, KNEW that babies don't come from storks long before you bumped uglies. ;) SURELY, your wife and you had some idea of the potential consequences of unprotected intercourse. I'll also assume most who do become parents have some inkling about parenting before they become parents. This is a far bigger difference than having a random chance of a set hand of cards dealt to oneself and you just make the best of the hand you're dealt. We have a say in what we experience. Quality of Life doesn't just happen to us. We have a say in the quality of life we experience. You can't ignore the laws of cause and effect isn't happening when we have children.

Greenlight
12-07-2016, 20:52

8^)

evyck da fleet
12-07-2016, 21:27
It depends on the responsibilities. If it's quitting a job and not a career that's easier. Now in my case I had my bills paid off so I was just pushing my retirement off 7 1/2 months, including time to find a new job, to do something I would have done then in the present. If I had debts that were accumulating interest while I was gone that would have been more difficult and I may have put it off. Of course, at a later point I could have had a career that I didn't want to risk losing. Family responsibilities would have been entirely different.

It's a lot easier to justify after its done but 70% of those who try don't finish. Although not finishing doesn't mean a long section hike can't be justified. Sometimes it requires taking a leap of faith (in yourself).

Grampie
12-08-2016, 10:08
If you can't justify, in your mind, to do a thru-hike or not. How do you expect to deal with the 100s of daily decisions that you will have to make while on the trail?

Greenlight
12-08-2016, 13:29
It depends on the responsibilities. If it's quitting a job and not a career that's easier. Now in my case I had my bills paid off so I was just pushing my retirement off 7 1/2 months, including time to find a new job, to do something I would have done then in the present. If I had debts that were accumulating interest while I was gone that would have been more difficult and I may have put it off. Of course, at a later point I could have had a career that I didn't want to risk losing. Family responsibilities would have been entirely different.

It's a lot easier to justify after its done but 70% of those who try don't finish. Although not finishing doesn't mean a long section hike can't be justified. Sometimes it requires taking a leap of faith (in yourself).

A week on the trail, with the knowledge that it wasn't for you, or that you will readjust and be back, is priceless

MuddyWaters
12-08-2016, 14:37
If you can't justify, in your mind, to do a thru-hike or not. How do you expect to deal with the 100s of daily decisions that you will have to make while on the trail?

100's of daily decisions?

Like when to start walking
and when to stop
Where to eat
and when to get water

the great thing about hiking, is it simplifies life into sleeping, eating, walking, and pooping
Thats it
And these are minor things

fghester
12-08-2016, 14:46
Hey. If you've been able to make it work in your life now, do it now! Waiting only makes it less likely that you'll ever do it! Look at it this way. So far, you've put off the trail for the day to day clang and bang of modern life. That is something to feel guilty about! In fact, how do you justify that? You know the old story. When you are sitting in your rocker at the nursing home, your regrets will be the things you didn't do, not the things you did! Get out there and become one with the trail!

Greenlight
12-08-2016, 15:42
Nobody works for the same company for more than a few years now. Today's teenagers will change jobs every three years until they retire. Carving out four or five months to thru-hike a trail somewhere in that mix is NOT a career ender. In fact, it could be the catalyst for a jump to a new company in a job higher up the ladder with enough of a raise to completely pay for the hike. You don't have to COBRA your present insurance. You can go online and get a high deductible major medical policy for a couple dollars per day in premium. Where there is a will, there is a way, and if that will just won't shut up, the mind will go into overdrive to find even more ways.

I agree with Deadeye. I honestly started dreaming about thru hiking when I was 20 years old. I thru hiked in 2013 when I was 56 years old and had retired from teaching and coaching! I waited 36 years.I had four kids and my youngest was a freshmen in college and a son was a senior. I actually got an incentive to retire that year. I think if you have to quit your good job and give up your good pension you may live to regret it.

Dogwood
12-08-2016, 16:10

Exactly. +1 Wavering wishy washy undecided double minded thinking doesn't cut it achieving any goal. And, make no mistake about it completing a thru hike is a goal.

lwhikerchris
01-15-2017, 17:03
Replace justification with reason and you'll have your answer. If you want to complete a thru, you'll need a reason to keep you motivated.

Lyle
01-15-2017, 19:04
I feel the need to justify to myself that taking off from life for 6 months to thru hike the AT is an acceptable choice.

I haven't read the entire thread, but this question brought instantly to mind a sentiment that Colin Fletcher expressed in an interview.

I will paraphrase the question and his response:

Interviewer: How do you answer people who accuse you of "escaping reality and the real world" by going out on your extended hikes?

Colin's response: For the life of me, I cannot figure out why people continue to assume that living in the woods, with trees and rocks and dirt, while getting your water from a cold mountain stream and waking up with the sun and the birds is less real than living in a box, with plastic furniture and pictures of the mountains on the wall, with nylon carpeting on the floor and getting your water laced with chemicals that comes out of a faucet. Why is going to work every day, so that for two weeks you can afford to go out into the woods more real than just living in the woods?

goldielocks
01-15-2017, 23:17
Colin's response: For the life of me, I cannot figure out why people continue to assume that living in the woods, with trees and rocks and dirt, while getting your water from a cold mountain stream and waking up with the sun and the birds is less real than living in a box, with plastic furniture and pictures of the mountains on the wall, with nylon carpeting on the floor and getting your water laced with chemicals that comes out of a faucet. Why is going to work every day, so that for two weeks you can afford to go out into the woods more real than just living in the woods?

Thanks for the information. Very accurate insight from Fletcher.
I think more of what I'm concerned with is deciding between the benefits of continuing to pursue my career or jumping at the opportunity to attempt a thru hike NOW. I currently have minimal expenses, no kids, no spouse - I do not believe that I will ever have a more opportune time.

I suppose at the end of the day, every choice has consequences regardless what your decision made be.

lwhikerchris
01-16-2017, 15:57
Many people find the best time to take a thru hike is at a transitional time in their life. You sound like you are approaching that time or are in it now. You will come out the other side knowing exactly what you want out of life, and probably what you were meant to do.

Lyle
01-16-2017, 16:39
Well, put it this way. I, personally, have never met anyone who regretted their decision after completing a thru hike. I'm not saying that person doesn't exist, but in close to 40 years being very involved with hiking and hikers, I have never met one.

The Snowman
01-16-2017, 19:59
Its your life to lead as you see fit. No other justifation needed. Just do it.

Traveler
01-17-2017, 09:16
To whom are you justifying this? If you have to explain this to people they may not understand it, so it likely becomes an exercise in futility and exposing oneself to unnecessary (or uninformed) opinions.

If to yourself, revisiting why you want to do this in the first place may be in order.

DryFlyHiker
02-28-2017, 10:19
I too have been thinking about why it is that I want to thru-hike the AT. As I read other thru-hiker’s accounts they often touch on their reasons. Some are at a cross road in their lives, recently graduated, laid-off, divorced, experiencing a mid-life crisis, or recently retired. All of them have the 5 to 6 months to dedicate to the endeavor.
A lot of hikers talk about wanting to prove something to themselves or others. Do they have the physical and mental fortitude to complete the AT? Those voicing those motives tend to be young and just starting out on their life’s journey. I, on the other hand, am well down that road.
Is it because it is such a big challenge and will be so hard, especially for someone that will be 62 when I start, that makes it attractive? Historically, more than half the successful thru-hikers are in their 20s. Only about 500 out of the 15,500+ successful thru-hikers were in their 60s. I don’t think I have the same desire to prove myself amongst my peers. But am I trying to prove something to myself?
I remember when I was hiking sections of the AT years ago. There was a profound satisfaction with the total immersion of the journey. The bird songs, open fields of wild flowers, rocky crags, walking the trails, the smell of the woods, swimming in mountain pools so cold that you couldn’t breathe, and waking up to quiet, misty mornings. Is that what is driving me, to relive those distant cherished memories?
Myron Avery, (http://www.patc.net/PublicView/About_PATC/History/PATC_History/Myron_Avery_Biography/PublicView/Custom/Fee_Events/More_about_PAT/PATC_History_files/Myron_Avery_Portrait.aspx) one of the men credited with getting the trail established, famously described the 14-state footpath as “remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation.” After 40 years of long hours, missed family events, frenetic projects, office politics, personal success and failure, bad bosses, and so on am I just seeking a way to cleanse my mind and body of some sort of imaged contaminant?
Whatever the reason, is it worth the hardship I will inflict on myself and my family? I don’t know. I guess I am going to have to keep looking for my reason.

Pondjumpr
03-01-2017, 09:15
... I currently have minimal expenses, no kids, no spouse - I do not believe that I will ever have a more opportune time.

This.... You just listed the three reasons I can not do a thru hike right now. I have the health. I have the gear. I have the money. With a spouse and two young kids, even weekends become something I must plan well in advance and leaving two young children with my wife, although she is more than capable of taking care of them, is something I try to limit. If you have no one depending on you right now, minimal expenses and the ability to go, you should drive to the trailhead today. I'm 43 and should have done it 20 years ago. Now, I may have to wait many more before I am able.

Just go! :D:D

TTT
03-01-2017, 09:18
I just do it because I feel like going for a long walk

TwoSpirits
03-01-2017, 10:13
My justification or reason for a long hike revolves around the fact that I've set a goal for myself to achieve -- hike from this place to that place. But the thing is, that particular goal isn't the point, or the reward, of the hike. The reward is What It Will Make of Me to Achieve it. Even if I don't achieve the primary goal of making it from point A to point B, I gain so much just from having set it as a goal and working toward it.

I attempted a SOBO thru in 2014, which ended pathetically after only a couple of days, but even though that goal was not achieved, I consider all of the things that I gained in the attempt:

* In my research and preparations for the trip, I learned a lot about the history and geography of the trail and the states it travels through.

* I had to learn and practice some planning & logistics far different than planning any other type of vacation or travel I've ever done before.

* I learned A LOT about how my body has changed over the years, and how I can improve my strength and endurance. My personal fitness is better than it was when I was in my 30's, and because this hiking bug feels like a permanent affliction, I think I'll enjoy most of the rest of my life stronger and healthier than a lot of other people I know.

* I practiced and improved my outdoor skills, and learned a lot more.

* Taking conditioning hikes or 3-5 day shakedown trips got me outside and into the woods, where I find my peace. I wouldn't have done that as much otherwise...there would always have been other things in the way.

* I met a lot of wonderful people -- even in that very short time -- that reaffirmed (and maybe restored) my belief that people everywhere are basically good, decent, nice, and endlessly interesting. I was brought out of the bubble that we can all find ourselves stuck in.

There is more...and undoubtedly a lot more than I even recognize, but you can get my point. In the end, it's not about the hike -- whether it's a thru hike or just a 2-week section somewhere -- it's about what it will make of me to achieve it.

AlyontheAT2016
03-07-2017, 17:05
Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today? :)

KCNC
09-07-2017, 23:55
I'm on a similar timeframe, but for different reasons.
My wife needs a kidney transplant. With any luck that will happen in the next several months. Then it's about a year for things to normalize. I've been thinking about the AT since I was ten years old (an older cousin who was a high school teacher used to hike sections every summer, asked me if I'd like to go, but never took me.) I hiked a bit at summer camp on the edge of Pisgah National Forest and loved it. As a youngster (pre-30) I read every article I came across and dreamed of what it would be like to thru-hike the AT. It's always been lurking in the back of my mind and then, this summer, one of my son's college friends did a NOBO hike and it was in my face like it hasn't been in years.

So I've been reading and researching, even outlining plans, checking out equipment, and soaking up everything I can. My wife is interested in doing some sections (after transplant, of course) and in the meantime wants to do some easy day hikes (just a couple of miles, minimal elevation changes.) The other night she even told me to just "go ahead and do it" but (1) I'm not ready physically. (2) No way would I consider leaving her at home until things are "normal." (3) I enjoy the "academic" aspects of preparation and am quite content with the current state of affairs. (She thinks she's keeping me from chasing the dream.)

Mentally, I can use some boredom. Dealing with kidney failure and the litany of doctors it involves over a period of 12+ years is exhausting. The rote activity of get up, pack up, walk (up and down), set up, sleep, repeat, sounds refreshing.

For now, I deal with rain and heat with a smile. I park further from the door of stores, I carry more, I don't worry about waiting until late afternoon to mow the lawn (and I use a push-mower instead of a riding mower these days.)

It's taken me this long to get this far, another 2-3 years to stand on Springer and look north is negligible. I hope I can get ready that quickly!
I'm a walker, plain and simple.

DownEaster
09-08-2017, 10:01
Here's my justification: I've lived frugally so I can enjoy my retirement. Hiking the AT is a big part of how I'll reach for the joy.

RockDoc
09-08-2017, 20:54
Sounds like you need a "walkabout" or you would not have posted.

So do a walkabout. Personally I would not commit to a thru hike, because if you start to hate it really you should quit rather than stomping on in miserable resignation.

Zea
09-09-2017, 16:53
I find that when life seems like it's going by too fast that's because I'm stuck in a routine... doing something new and/or challenging is a good way to break that routine and slow things down again. Thru-hikes are a perfect way to shake things up and reflect

KnightErrant
09-09-2017, 17:39
Today I was just reflecting on an interesting conversation with one of my students about this topic, although it was justifying my overseas lifestyle and not thru-hiking. I teach English in Morocco, and one of my students is this Senegalese guy who asked my why on earth I was working in Casablanca for a fraction of what I could make in the United States, especially since it meant being far from my family. He told me, "People should only leave their family when they must. I left my family in Senegal because I could find a better job in Morocco and provide for them. But you are from America, where you could be rich. You are being irresponsible by coming here."

I explained that I was lucky enough to be debt-free since I went to school on scholarships and part-time jobs, and my Moroccan salary adequately covered my expenses, and I'm saving a bit. I'm single and my parents and siblings are financially stable enough that they don't need extra support from me. So I think my experience in Morocco is valuable and justified, even though it isn't as lucrative as working in the U.S. (not that teaching was going to make me rich in the States, haha).

He listened thoughtfully to my explanation, then shook his head and said, "You should always make as much money as you can. You never know what your family will need. Even if you don't need it now, you might in the future. And you are too far from your family and your country. You will have your own children someday. If you care about them, you will try your best to earn money and find a husband now."

If it had been another American telling me to find a husband, I might have been offended, but he was so matter-of-fact instead of patronizing, that it was clear that we were just too culturally different to see eye to eye on the matter. I definitely didn't share with him my plans for April 2018... if he thinks my salary /now/ is irresponsible, he didn't need to know I'm planning to walk through the forest for five months!

I guess my point of sharing the story is not everyone will think that your choices are justifiable, and in some cases your perspective will be so different that arguing won't be helpful. What is valuable to one person will always be frivolous to another. If you think the missed income and career pause are justifiable, then they are. And that's enough.

Bansko
09-11-2017, 11:00
There is no justification. Thru-hiking the AT is selfish.

AlamoHiker
09-11-2017, 15:07
I'm quitting my job to do the AT. As for why, it's because I freaking want to. It's an adventure, it's awesome, and I'm going to do it.

middle to middle
09-11-2017, 15:14
the old Nike poster for athletes JUST DO IT ! Good advice.

Scars
09-19-2017, 12:39
Although Goldilocks has long since moved on, as a 2Ker or not, for the folks asking themselves the same question I have a perspective for you. Having a bit of experience with CIA's hiring and training programs, the best thing you could do would be a thru-hike, an adventure race, or something else which demonstrates your ability and experience in performing in ambiguous situations. Self-reliance, creativity, social adaptation, persistence, and commitment are the traits of highly competitive candidates.

Venchka
09-19-2017, 20:51
Although Goldilocks has long since moved on, as a 2Ker or not, for the folks asking themselves the same question I have a perspective for you. Having a bit of experience with CIA's hiring and training programs, the best thing you could do would be a thru-hike, an adventure race, or something else which demonstrates your ability and experience in performing in ambiguous situations. Self-reliance, creativity, social adaptation, persistence, and commitment are the traits of highly competitive candidates.

Sounds true enough. The ideal candidate would have figured that out for themselves.
They would be heading for New Mexico or Montana and hiking the CDT.
Wayne

Sailor (The other one)
12-04-2017, 21:45
"...taking off from life..."
No.
Taking off to life.

Redbird2
12-04-2017, 22:14
Probably not the answer you want to hear. I couldn't justify quitting my job and hiking for 6 months. That was my choice. Not right or wrong. I will do it on my time schedule when I see fit to do it. Lord willing that I live till that day.

tawa
12-04-2017, 23:22
Justification?

I ain't gonna live forever,
I just wanna live while I'm alive...
It's......MY.......life.

Bullseye!!!!

BuckeyeBill
12-11-2017, 15:39
Back when I worked for other people, on my application I'd list I was an Eagle Scout. It may not mean to much to a lot of people, but I did get a couple of jobs based on it. The employer said he knew if he gave a job to do I would see it through to completion. The same can be said for thru hiking the AT. May not mean much to some people, but others will know that you will work hard to achieve your goals no matter how crazy it may be.

I am just glad that I knocked out the PCT and the CDT early in my life. Now all I need to do is the AT. I have section hiked parts of it on two and three week vacations, but I am working on my body (totally out of shape) and preparing my mind to tackle it. I am working towards a 2020 thru at this point but may get to it earlier.