PDA

View Full Version : The PA Ruck is in 11 days !!!!!

StarLyte
01-17-2006, 08:37
The best part about the SORuck is.......the PA Ruck comes after it, so the fellowship and fun continues.

Here's the new food list. Pick an item, or email me and I'll assign you something. Thanks to those that responded early. I spoke to Donna regarding the stove issue-we sweat it out the past 2 years, and now the Vulcan stove is operative, but NOT the oven. We still have the other electric stove with a working oven. Two stoves means a lot, so all of you that enjoy cooking breakfast so much will be in a for treat.

What we STILL need:

Main entrees such as-
Hams, meatloaf, chickens, bbq meats, sausages
Vegetarian (bean) patties
Pizza/tomato pies
cassaroles

pasta dishes
baked beans
beef stew
beef stroganoff
taboule-hummus
Salads-green, fruit, potato, pasta
pies, cakes, cookies, any type desserts
donuts & muffins tomato pies
pizza
2 large cans of good coffee, 2 large cans of decaf
creamers/half-n-half
sugar
teas
waters

Breads, rolls
butter, oleos
napkins
HEAVY DUTY paper plates-no foam
eating utensils
foils, plastic wrap
large garbage bags

soups & chilies for Saturday lunch benefit !!
Pasta, sauces, meats & ideas for Friday dinner

I'm bringing a 60 cup electric percolater. Again, if you're bringing a crock pot/electrical applicance, bring your extension cords.

The slide show will start directly after dinner so it's real important that folks help clean up in the kitchen so we can all enjoy that. Don't wait to be asked, just jump in. Don't be shy.

This message will also be posted to: AT-L, WomenHikers, Whiteblaze, and AT-Hikers lists.

Your ideas can be posted on this list or email me. All messages will be acknowledged. [email protected]
Marsha

Panzer1
01-25-2006, 01:33
Who's all going to the PA Ruck. I be there sometime Friday.

Panzer

RITBlake
01-25-2006, 01:37
what is the PA ruck? I live in upstate NY PA isn't all that far away

Sly
01-25-2006, 01:55
what is the PA ruck? I live in upstate NY PA isn't all that far away

It's a hiker thing....

In 1995, Ryan Brooks started the Appalachian Trail Mailing list, to give AT hikers and trail enthusiasts a way to talk trail. AT-L grew and became a thriving community and a great resource for folks planning a thruhike. However, sometimes the cyber world just does not suffice. A guy named Phil wanted to actually see a Stephenson's tent. He voiced his desire to the AT-L and thus was born "Ruck Zero". A small group of experienced hikers and other AT-Lers met in Harper's Ferry to check out each other's gear, ask and answer questions and a good time was had by all.

This event is open to all hikers, not just AT-Lers. One of the greatest things about a Ruck is the ability to get up close and personal with people whose combined trail mileage numbers in the tens of thousands. It's a smaller, more intimate atmosphere than other hiker events, and really encourages one on one time for the newbies to get all their questions answered, meet other newbies and lots of trail veterans, check out all sorts of gear in person to help with gear choices, see slideshows of other hikes, eat, laugh, learn. You'll find people who are considered "Triple Crowners" (those who have hiked the AT, the CDT and the PCT), people who have hiked the AT or other trails more than once, and people who have never hiked who are looking for information, and everyone in between. It's a diverse group of people from all walks of life, with one thing in common - love of the Trail. If you're planning a thru hike or a long section, it's a must attend event as a planning tool.

That 50/50 mix of each one, teach one and having a helluva good time has proved such an enduring formula that 2003 will be the sixth annual Ruck. Poke around the Ruck site and you'll find out what Rucks are all about. Hope we see you at a Ruck this year! For information on upcoming Rucks, just click on the Future button below.

Sly
01-25-2006, 02:00
The current website...

http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html

RITBlake
01-25-2006, 03:36
hey is that the pine grove furnace? oh yah it is! The JHP go to explore the secret passage in that place. What an awesome hostel, I loved the big hostel, I should try to get down there for the ruck.

RITBlake
01-25-2006, 03:36
OH, and thanks to SLY for that great writeup. It was very helpful

RITBlake
01-25-2006, 03:40
9am - ??? HIKE TO POLE STEEPLE along the AT (back about noon).

whats the pole steeple? The halfway point? did I miss something, aww man

StarLyte
01-25-2006, 06:13
Panzer- compiled list so far - but you can't go by this - I never have. Crock pot is a great idea - bring an extension cord if you have one. See you soon.

Marsha
Jim & Ginny--possibly
Greenbriar
Weathercarrot
Gary Roberts
John "Six-2"
CamoJack
Shelly
Miss Janet
Lone Wolf
Gypsy
Amy S.
Tricks
Steve Landis
Grey Owl
Jollies
Panzer
Longhaul
Skeeter
Mara

Spirit Walker
01-25-2006, 11:20
Pole Steeple is a rock outcrop with view just off the AT a couple of miles north of the hostel. It makes a nice loop hike.

The nice thing about the Rucks, in my view, is that it is a very informal gathering. While there are a couple of slideshows and an AT workshop, it is much less organized than the Gathering. Not classes - just discussion. I love the classes at the Gathering - I've learned a lot about many different trails over the years, some of which I've hiked - but just hanging out is fun too. Most of the time at the Ruck is spent talking in small groups or one on one -- and eating.

khaynie
01-25-2006, 14:52
Sounds cool, we'll try to get up there.

A-Train
01-25-2006, 15:52
I'd recommend this event to everyone, especially those planning on a future AT thru-hike. I went in 2003, about 5 weeks before I started my thru-hike and it was a great opportunity to meet like-minded people, get information, and become more at ease about my upcoming journey. If you still have a million questions about gear, logistics, etc. this is the place for them, as there are lots of alumni hikers. Unfortunately I can't make this one, but I'm sure it'll be a good time.

neo
01-25-2006, 16:02
any good looking women gonna be there lol:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
01-25-2006, 16:27
Yup. Babes galore. Lotsa Hillary look-a-likes. :)

Cheesewhiz
01-25-2006, 16:34
I would like to attend the Ruck I only live 2 hrs from the hostel and am attempting a thru this year. What do I need to bring when do I pay and where do most stay in the hostel or the camground.

neo
01-25-2006, 16:48
Yup. Babes galore. Lotsa Hillary look-a-likes. :)

i knew lonewolf had the hots for hillary:cool: neo

Panzer1
01-25-2006, 21:42
I would like to attend the Ruck I only live 2 hrs from the hostel and am attempting a thru this year. What do I need to bring when do I pay and where do most stay in the hostel or the camground.

You can stay in camp or the hostel, whatever you want. It's about the same price. Also, you can split the cost of a campsite with someone else, like me, if you want to same money.

Last year I brought my camping gear but by bedtime at 2am, it was zero degrees and I was too tired, wasted, ect, so I wimped out and got a bunk at the hostel.

This year, I will once again attempt to camp. Wish me luck.

If you camp, you need to bring everything.
If you stay in the hostel, you don't need to bring much. I think most stay in the hostel.

Panzer

PS. Bring some firewood if you got any.
Also, everyone brings some kind of dish for the community dinner on saturday. See the list.

Panzer1
01-25-2006, 22:20
This should be the warmest Ruck in years.

Friday: high 47 degrees/low 30 degrees
Saturday: high 49 degrees/ low 33 degrees
Sunday: high 44 degrees/ low 39 degrees

With no rain in the forecast.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-26-2006, 00:03
Trivia fact

When I went to the Ruck last year gas cost $1.87 gal. Scheese

Panzer

RITBlake
01-26-2006, 00:25
anybody from upstate NY interested in splitting a ride down?

Panzer1
01-26-2006, 00:56
You can bring a case of beer for your new found friends. Ha ha..

Panzer

ps bring a chair. I'm not sharing mine.

Miss Janet
01-26-2006, 14:58
Ok, Panzer... You don't have to worry about me stealing your chair this year... I won't be coming this year but you have to watch a few of those OTHER people that hang around these fires!

Cheesewhiz
01-26-2006, 17:56
Hey Panzer where are you camping and what do you drink!

Cheesewhiz
01-26-2006, 17:57
What time should I show up

Tenacious Tanasi
01-26-2006, 20:35
PARuck bound!

Anyone from down south headin up to PA for the ruck, I will be at Miss Janet's tonight around 10 ish. If you want a ride and are willing to help on gas, then come on! Will leave as early as we can get everyone together on Friday morning for the drive to Gardeners, PA.

If you want to ride with me, either call Miss Janet's and ask for Shelly, or you can leave me a pm here. I will check messages tonight when i get there.