PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos on the trail

SueJhiker
12-05-2016, 20:46
Can any of you veteran hikers give me some advice of when is a good time to hike or not to hike a section of the trail? I hiked part of the AT in VT in June a few years back and had a horrendous experience with running from aggressive/carnivorous mosquitoes. Is there a better time of year to hike?

egilbe
12-05-2016, 20:50
Fall. Or a dry Summer like we had this year.

nsherry61
12-05-2016, 21:17
End of July is typically the end of the Mosquito season.

Engine
12-06-2016, 06:26
It's funny how some people get all worked up over bears, which are actually a gift to be enjoyed on those occasions when we get to see them. But, when you look at gear lists posted for review, the lack of insect repellent is a common issue. Few things ruin an otherwise good day faster than mosquitos and black flies...

Early spring and throughout the fall seem to be the best time of year to avoid bugs (except ticks), and coincidently they are also the nicest times to hike weather-wise.

rafe
12-06-2016, 08:01
Southern New England can be brutal between, say, May and July. By late summer the streams start to dry up and the worst of the bugs start dying off.

August-September is a great time to hike, anywhere on the AT. Only downside is the shorter days and dry creek beds. Labor Day is a zoo. After that, plenty of solitude.

egilbe
12-06-2016, 08:05
I cant think of a worse month to hike in New England, than June. I would rather deal with the cold in Winter.

garlic08
12-06-2016, 09:32
It's funny how some people get all worked up over bears, which are actually a gift to be enjoyed on those occasions when we get to see them. But, when you look at gear lists posted for review, the lack of insect repellent is a common issue. Few things ruin an otherwise good day faster than mosquitos and black flies...

Early spring and throughout the fall seem to be the best time of year to avoid bugs (except ticks), and coincidently they are also the nicest times to hike weather-wise.

And the mosquito by far tops the list of causing the most human deaths, including other humans.

Those who fear bears also fearlessly drive freeways to get to the trails. It's all a matter of perceived risk.

(Pontificating aside, ditto all the above hiking advice, too.)

AfterParty
12-06-2016, 09:37
Why do hikers not carry a thermacell you know that thing that actually works?

FatMan
12-06-2016, 09:38
C'mon down here to Georgia. We don't have hardly any stinkin' skeeters up here in the mountains.

One Half
12-06-2016, 11:31
Can any of you veteran hikers give me some advice of when is a good time to hike or not to hike a section of the trail? I hiked part of the AT in VT in June a few years back and had a horrendous experience with running from aggressive/carnivorous mosquitoes. Is there a better time of year to hike?

winter. no mosquitos. you're welcome.:D

One Half
12-06-2016, 11:34
winter. no mosquitos. you're welcome.:D

And I just happen to be one of those lucky people that bugs don't bother. especially if I am hiking with my husband. they will descend on him and leave me alone.

saltysack
12-06-2016, 11:42
If you can see your breath.....no skeeters....I've never carried bug spray on any trail..mainly hike from September to April....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtDoraDave
12-06-2016, 23:02
If it's hot enough for bugs, I usually sweat the bug spray off. it's a lose/ lose situation. The only time I hiked in June it was from Dick's Creek Gap to the NOC, and bugs weren't a problem... except that one tick I pulled off my leg.

Which reminds me, I'm out of bug spray. Need to get some for my overnighter this weekend.

Dan Roper
12-07-2016, 00:02
In 30 years of backpacking the southern Appalachians and AT, I've never seen a mosquito in the high country, including the AT, at any time of year. They just aren't an issue. Ticks are a minor nuisance from April or May until around July or August after that, they are infrequent or absent). Biting gnats and flies have occasionally been nuisances (and even more rarely, horrendous). The gnats are typically an issue in late April and early May. The flies I've usually had issues with were in July or August.

And yellow jackets are usually active from late July into October (rarely a bit later, in warm years).

In the southern Appalachians, though, bugs really aren't an issue.

peakbagger
12-07-2016, 07:35
August/September is the best for Me/NH.

SueJhiker
12-07-2016, 19:42

I would so much rather see a bear than to experience an attack of mosquitoes. those that have never experienced it don't know how awful it is.

RockDoc
12-07-2016, 20:00
We did Maine in June/July, hiking in shorts with minimal mosquito problems. It's not a reason to avoid the whole North Country during those months.

However, we did soak our clothes, packs, and tents with permetherin... a fabulous invention!