PDA

View Full Version : Help with gear shakedown

TSWisla
12-05-2016, 21:15
Here is what I have, I am trying to pare it down for a late April hike from NOC to Newfoundland Gap. Osprey Atmos bag, Enlightened Equipment quilt, watch , AT BOOK
small folding Knifeopsaks/ziplocks
half small pack of wipes
half roll TP
band aides/gauze
very small HC cream
very triple abx ointment
air pad repair kit
plastic garbage bag
pack cover ?
tweezers/bottle for ticks
tooth brush/paste
lip balm
hand sanitizer
Pepcid/Immodium/pepto/IBU/APAP/Benadryl
cooking pot
spork
gas/stove
winter hat
sleeping pad
pillow
socks x3
pants x1
shirts x2
sleep shirt/pants x1
shorts
flip flops
hat
bear bell
tissues (small)
long underwear top/bottom
briefs underwear x3
platypus/iodine pellets
small deodorant
Nalgene x2 for water
tarptent doublerainbow
bear spray
flashlight
rain jacket
rat pack for hanging food
hiking poles
small emergency radio

Anything to add or subtract? Thank you.

Martzy13
12-05-2016, 21:23
Bear bell AND bear spray? Why not 1 Nalgene and one Smartwater bottle?
If you hike fast, I might see you one the Trail!

TSWisla
12-05-2016, 21:35
No bear bell or spray through GSMNP? I thought that 2L of water was a must? I am in shape and I will be in better shape!

Sandy of PA
12-05-2016, 21:52
Two liter for water yes, both nalgenes no. Nalgenes weight 6.8 ozs. empty, so one Nalgene and one lightweight bottle saves 5.5 ozs. right there. No bells, they have been proven worthless just disturb other hikers. Bear spray another 13 ozs. unneeded weight. I found paper towels more useful than tissues, 1st use clean glasses, 2nd use wipe face and hands, 3rd use blow nose, 4th use toilet paper. What sort of radio? PLB or broadcast?

TheWhiteWalker
12-05-2016, 22:19
Sounds like your trip is almost 75 miles. If I remember correctly, you will not qualify for Smokies thru hiker permit but I am guessing you already know that.

I would remove:
-Extra hiking T shirt
-Bear Bell (not necessary and annoying noise for other hikers)
-Pillow (you are bringing enough clothing to make a pillow unless you have an ultra light pillow that you can't sleep without)
-Extra Pants (You listed: Long underwear, pants for hiking, & pants for sleeping) - Your pants for sleeping should be your long underwear, if it is really cold then wear your hiking pants w/ long underwear)
-3 pairs of briefs is excessive, remove 1-2 of them
-Nalgene containers are too heavy, replace with smart water bottles.
-Bear Spray (too much weight, use your trekking poles if a bear gets that close lol)
-Small Emergency Radio - unnecessary weight
-You mentioned flashlight, most hikers carry headlamps instead of flashlights but that's your choice

I would add:
-Ear plugs b/c you will be sleeping in shelters in the Smokies
-50 foot paracord w/ carabiner for hanging food bag
-Leuko tape or something similar for blisters
-Lightweight gloves or use your socks as gloves
-Lightweight battery pack if you plan on using your phone a good bit and not stopping in town for a recharge

Have fun!!

TSWisla
12-05-2016, 22:26
I am bringing the plugs and paracord, I forgot to mention them. I am wary of the shelters because of the mice. I plan on sleeping "near" the shelter in my tent. Thank you!

Venchka
12-05-2016, 23:01
I am bringing the plugs and paracord, I forgot to mention them. I am wary of the shelters because of the mice. I plan on sleeping "near" the shelter in my tent. Thank you!

GSMNP - Required shelter reservations UNLESS you start your hike more than 50 miles from the park boundary. In that case, you may camp near the shelter if it's full. If your start is close to 50 miles from the park, consider backing up a bit to be 51 miles or so from the park. Read the GSMNP rules. You can't just show up at the entrance and walk into the park.
I don't see a signal whistle. Wear it around your neck or attached to your pack. Use it if/when needed. They work!
http://www.stormwhistles.com/storm.html
You're hiking a relatively short, busy section of the trail. Do you really need the AT book? If so, only carry the part covering your hike.
Platypus and iodine and water bottles? Is the Platypus their gravity filter? I'm confused.
That's a lot of pills. How many of each?
Leukotape (spelling?) for sure. Put it on before you need it. If you think you have a hot spot tape it.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSWisla
12-05-2016, 23:56
I am using a platypus gravity filter with the tabs as a backup. Can't I just say that I started somewhere? How will they know? Sleeping in the shelter is compulsory? Can't pitch my tent next to it?

FreeGoldRush
12-06-2016, 00:20
I am using a platypus gravity filter with the tabs as a backup. Can't I just say that I started somewhere? How will they know? Sleeping in the shelter is compulsory? Can't pitch my tent next to it?

We certainly can do all sorts of things, but breaking the rules only leads to more rules in my opinion.

Fontana Dam is at mile 166. NOC is at mile 137, so you'd have to go back to mile 116 to use a thru hiker permit. But I believe the thru hiker permit requires that you end your hike 50 miles outside the park.

If hiking during that time of year in the smokies with a thru hiker permit is it reasonable to show up at the shelter after 6:00 pm and find it full? Is showing up late a guarantee that you can tent near the shelter? Apparently all shelter spots are reservable except four, which are left for thru hikers.

jj dont play
12-06-2016, 01:08
Just my opinion but should save a good bit of weight

Ditch deodorant,tissues,wipes, pills (other than vitamin I,if you need pepto etc. you'll be able to get it quick enough),ditch a pair of socks (I like 1 hiking pair, 1 sleeping pair), only need 1 hike shirt and 1 sleep shirt, swap nalgenes for 1l smart water bottles, no bear spray or bell, no radio

Engine
12-06-2016, 06:10
half small pack of wipes
half roll TP
band aides/gauze
very small HC cream
very triple abx ointment
air pad repair kit
plastic garbage bag
pack cover ? ----------------------------- What kind of pack are you carrying? If it's made of a hydrophobic material you can just line it with a trash compactor bag.
tooth brush/paste
lip balm
hand sanitizer
cooking pot
spork
gas/stove
winter hat
sleeping pad
pillow
socks x3
pants x1
shirts x2
sleep shirt/pants x1
shorts
flip flops
hat
bear bell --------------------------------------- No need...it is annoying to others and will detract from your own enjoyment of the hike. BEARS ARE NOT A PROBLEM. ;)
tissues (small)
long underwear top/bottom
briefs underwear x3
platypus/iodine pellets------------------------ Have you ever tasted water with Iodine in it?
small deodorant
Nalgene x2 for water--------------------------- There are MUCH lighter options which will save you about 1/2 pound. Try 2 1 liter soda or Smartwater bottles.
tarptent doublerainbow
bear spray----------------------------------------- NO NEED, it's just extra weight. Keep this for your next hike in Grizzly country...
flashlight ------------------------------------------ Headlamps are easier to use and they free up both hands. Get one with a red light option so you don't blind other hikers.
rain jacket
hiking poles
small emergency radio ------------------------ Not really necessary. Do you have a smart phone? (signal strength is spotty, but you can usually get service often enough depending on your carrier)

Greenlight
12-06-2016, 07:03
My grown son and I hiked part of GSMNP last spring, and to the best of my knowledge you qualify for thru-hiker permit if you start at least 50 miles outside the park, otherwise, you have to do single permits, specifying which shelters you'll be occupying on which nights. Burdensome, but understandable when you realize the number of people that go to the park each year. It is astronomical.

Sounds like your trip is almost 75 miles. If I remember correctly, you will not qualify for Smokies thru hiker permit but I am guessing you already know that.

I would remove:
-Extra hiking T shirt
-Bear Bell (not necessary and annoying noise for other hikers)
-Pillow (you are bringing enough clothing to make a pillow unless you have an ultra light pillow that you can't sleep without)
-Extra Pants (You listed: Long underwear, pants for hiking, & pants for sleeping) - Your pants for sleeping should be your long underwear, if it is really cold then wear your hiking pants w/ long underwear)
-3 pairs of briefs is excessive, remove 1-2 of them
-Nalgene containers are too heavy, replace with smart water bottles.
-Bear Spray (too much weight, use your trekking poles if a bear gets that close lol)
-Small Emergency Radio - unnecessary weight
-You mentioned flashlight, most hikers carry headlamps instead of flashlights but that's your choice

I would add:
-Ear plugs b/c you will be sleeping in shelters in the Smokies
-50 foot paracord w/ carabiner for hanging food bag
-Leuko tape or something similar for blisters
-Lightweight gloves or use your socks as gloves
-Lightweight battery pack if you plan on using your phone a good bit and not stopping in town for a recharge

Have fun!!

MtDoraDave
12-06-2016, 07:43
Here is what I have, I am trying to pare it down for a late April hike from NOC to Newfoundland Gap. Osprey Atmos bag, Enlightened Equipment quilt, watch , AT BOOK
half small pack of wipes .......... I like "wet ones" for their antibacterial properties.
half roll TP
band aides/gauze
very small HC cream
very triple abx ointment
air pad repair kit
plastic garbage bag
pack cover ?
tooth brush/paste ..........................paste is not necessary, but great for fresh breath. hang it with food at night if you bring it.
lip balm
hand sanitizer .............. I don't bring / use any. I use the "wet ones" wipes occasionally, instead.
cooking pot
spork ................... depending on what you eat, a long handled spoon is nice to keep your fingers out of the pot / cooking bag.
gas/stove .......................................... I'd suggest waterproof matches or a mini-bic lighter. Auto ignition stoves sometimes stop working.
winter hat
sleeping pad
pillow .........................................inside the sleeping bag, I wear only my base layer. My clothes (on cool/cold weather trips) are my pillow.
socks x3 ...................... I do the same. 2 for alternating the week of hiking, 1 to keep clean for sleeping
pants x1
shirts x2 ..................................only need one shirt.
sleep shirt/pants x1 ...........................sleep in base layer.
shorts ..................................... consider making your pants convertible pants. pants and shorts in one garment... but in April, I wouldn't bring shorts.
flip flops
hat
bear bell ............................................others have covered this. I keep my coffee cup and aluminum knife/spoon clipped outside the pack. Makes noise as I hike.
tissues (small) ................................ carry the ubiquitous handkerchief instead. It doubles as a washcloth and a tent dryer.
long underwear top/bottom .................... I use the new yoga pants looking stuff for my base layer. works well.
briefs underwear x3 ............................bring only 1 spare in case of an accident.
platypus/iodine pellets................. ?
small deodorant ................................. I do this too. The thru hikers smell it and the look on their face suggests someone just passed wind. lol.
Nalgene x2 for water ................. as others have said, smart water bottles are much lighter, long and narrow makes them easy to stuff. Don't put hot water in them, though.
tarptent doublerainbow
bear spray .
flashlight ............................. headlight. lighter and more efficient
rain jacket
hiking poles
small emergency radio ............. verizon cell phone works in most places along that section.

Anything to add or subtract? Thank you.

I keep my sleeping bag inside a trash bag inside my pack. I keep other "dry" things inside 1 or 2 gallon ziplocks inside the pack. I also use a pack cover. The pack cover isn't necessary, but in my way of thinking a wet pack weighs more than the pack cover does. Besides, I usually carry a small paperback book in the lid of the pack.

No cotton. Period. Cotton gets wet and stays wet. Use synthetic materials for all your clothing or wool.
... unless you bring some cotton balls with vaseline on them for firestarters - they double as lip balm and hand moisturizer for me.

As I hike, when it's "cold", my nose runs a lot. I would go through WAY too much tissue if I used it. I find the method of closing off one nostril at a time and clearing the other with a strong exhalation works well on the trail.

Siestita
12-06-2016, 08:16
"tweezers/bottle for ticks"

I find having small tweezers useful for various purposes but don't understand how the bottle would help you deal with ticks. If ticks concern you, consider possibly using permithrin treated clothing (socks, long pants, shirt).

Taking any deodorant backpacking is absurd. Instead take a small piece of pack towel and use it to wipe your body with water each evening before bed. Doing that enables me to sleep better than I otherwise would and overtime keeps me a bit less smelly than I otherwise would be. My small pack towel cloth also is helpful removing a little water from my Tarptent Rainbow occasionally. Drops of water sometimes get in there from condensation or wind blown rain.

By leaving "camp shoes" (flip flops for you, crocs for many others) at home pack weight can be reduced. It's possible that you will not spend much time in camp after hiking many miles during each day of your upcoming trip.

"I am wary of the shelters because of the mice." During late April cold rain sometimes occurs along the AT.. Such weather often changes hikers' attitudes, making some who were previously scornful of shelters more appreciative of them. And, you may often find yourself so tired that you'll fall asleep oblivious to nearby scurrying by shelter mice. Also, follow the rules. Reserve your GSMNP permit early, with space in each shelter that you plan to use.

Gambit McCrae
12-06-2016, 08:41
I revised per what I would carry

Osprey Atmos
bag, Enlightened Equipment quilt,
full pack of wipes
Lekki Tape
very small HC cream
very triple abx ointment
air pad repair kit
plastic garbage bag
pack cover
tooth brush/paste
lip balm
hand sanitizer
cooking pot
spork
alc-zelph stove - yellow bottle of heat
sleeping pad
pillow-sea to summit inflatable
socks x2
pants x1-make zip off if you want pants and shorts
shirts x2
flip flops-bringing a winter hat yet flipflops too?
hat
briefs underwear X1
Sawyer squeeze and 1 2L bag
1L smartwater bottle 2X
tarptent doublerainbow
Headlamp
rain jacket
Bear cables almost at every shelter
hiking poles
puffy down jacket w/ hood - lightweight not a heavy duty parka

TSWisla
12-06-2016, 19:24
The bottle for ticks is if I find one on me and pull it off, I can bring it in to be tested for Lyme. I did not mean deodorant, but rather antiperspirant. When my pits get sweaty for too long, they hurt like hell (TMI).

How does the reservation system work? What if I reserve a spot for a certain day, but end up hiking further? What if I don't make it to my destination? Who is enforcing this?

Some really good ideas here. Thank you.

jimmyjam
12-06-2016, 19:33
The reservation system only applies in the GSMNP. If you start and end your hike 50 miles outside of the park then you are considered a Thru Hiker and you do not have to make shelter reservations. Rangers and Ridgerunners enforce the system.

TSWisla
12-06-2016, 20:06
So if I reserve a spot, I have to stay there that night no matter what? Even if I hike slower or faster? Or what if I go to reserve a spot and none is available? I can't hike that day? It is that regulated?

Sandy of PA
12-06-2016, 20:26
Yes, plus there is a fee.

TSWisla
12-06-2016, 20:33
I don't care about the fee, but the way that I see it, there is no room for miscalculations. That make it very difficult to plan the trip...

ralph23
12-06-2016, 21:41
How many mpd are you planning? That will change things. For a 3 day trip you are overloaded on extras. Assuming a 10 day trip would probably change things as well.

TSWisla
12-06-2016, 21:55
What is reasonable? 10 to 15? More? What extras? Please tell me!

ScareBear
12-06-2016, 22:57
Its GSMNP. It is what it is. Especially that time of year. BTW, you can't make reservations for your permit LONGER than 30 days in advance! Good luck with THAT in April!!!!!

Engine
12-07-2016, 06:18
What is reasonable? 10 to 15? More? What extras? Please tell me!

Comfortable daily distance really varies a lot from person to person. Some new hikers are completely spent after 5-6 miles and some are still going strong after more than 15. It depends on the terrain, your pack load, and your relative fitness level before starting your trip. I would plan for 8-10 miles for the first day or two and if that turns out to be too easy and your done hiking earlier in the day than you planned, then extend the miles for a few days and see how you feel.

Siestita
12-07-2016, 07:37
About GSMNP shelter reservations:

"So if I reserve a spot, I have to stay there that night no matter what?" Yes, you'll need to do that.

"Even if I hike slower or faster?" The answer is still "yes".

"Or what if I go to reserve a spot and none is available? I can't hike that day? It is that regulated?" Day hiking is not regulated in GSMNP. But, if by chance a shelter or campsite in which you want to reserve a spot is already booked up, or closed for some reason, your remaining options are:

A. Change your plans, reserving and using other shelters (or designated campsites located on other GSMNP trails, away from AT). OR
B. Backpack instead somewhere outside the Park. OR
C. Go day hiking within GSMNP

I have sometimes had a ranger or backcountry ridge runner check my permit. I've not yet personally encountered a Smokey's shelter that more people tried to use than could fit inside.

But, my trips there have always taken place later in the season, well after the herd of prospective thru hikers has passed by. To cope with the thru bubble, the Park, as was mentioned above, sets aside four spaces in each shelter for those whom they consider to be long distance hikers (50 miles, plus the park, plus fifty more miles). Those long distance hikers, and no one else, is permitted to tent near a shelter once it has become full. So, if next April you show up on a cold rainy evening at a GSMNP shelter that is full, according to the rules one of the thru hikers is supposed to leave the shelter to make room for you there. Obviously, events such as snow storms, fires (lately), or serious injuries occasionally prevent individuals from reaching their permitted shelters. The people who enforce the rules are likely to be reasonable under such circumstances, but they may not necessarily be sympathetic to people who change their plans simply to hike through the Park more slowly or quickly.

Siestita
12-07-2016, 09:11
TSWisla--I've looked through your prior White Blaze threads and am impressed. Since taking up this hobby in 2011 you've learned a great deal and taken steps to lighten your pack. You've made some multi-night trips, apparently hiking the 133 miles between Springer and NOC/Wesser.

But, I sense from this thread, and from some of your earlier ones, that you do not yet find backpacking to be as comfortable and fulfilling as it can become. I can identify with that. My initial backpacking trips, made 44 years ago, were short ones. I was apprehensive about hiking alone and unwilling to stay out for more than a few days at a time. Then, my comfort level increased gradually as I confronted some adversity and had positive experiences. There are, I think, stages in between being a complete newbie, which you may have been in 2011, and becoming thoroughly at ease in the woods. So, if by chance you have friends who have not yet backpacked but would like to do so, consider giving them the following advise (in addition to keeping the pack as light as possible):

* Limit your mileage during initial trips. Learning how to camp from a pack is a significant accomplishment, as is becoming comfortable in the woods. Sometimes that matters more than whatever number of miles you happen to cover.

* Start by backpacking in seasons and locations where the weather you encounter is likely to mostly be pleasant. Even experienced hikers sometimes become discouraged when subject to multiple days of cold rain.

* Hike initially on popular, well maintained trails. Encounters with other hikers can be reassuring.

Much of the AT can be a good environment for becoming comfortable backpacking. You may be intrigued by the possibility that you will eventually section hike the entire AT. But at this point what matters most is how enjoyable your backpacking experiences are. Right now that counts for more than does the precise number of miles that you walk during any particular trip.

Also, it matters how much enjoyable winter camping experience you've already had. If by chance you've not yet had kind of backcountry experience, consider possibly postponing your 2017 hike until later than April. Most prospective thru hikers start walking north early in the season in order to potentially reach the end in one go. Section hikers, can, on the other hand, cherry pick their seasons. Similarly, by sectioning you can, if you choose to do so, keep your daily mileages comfortable.

You might find it easier to obtain shelter permit reservations in GSMNP later in the season, after the 'thru bubble' has passed by. Similarly, there is nothing engraved in stone tablets anywhere commanding that all section hikers walk the AT entirely in sequence.

A previous White Blaze thread of yours concerned bears. Your fear of bears is not rational (what powerful human emotions are?) but nonetheless matters. So while carrying bear spray on the AT may not make sense logically, by all means do so, at least for a while. Enjoy your adventures!

Five Tango
12-07-2016, 10:22
The bottle for ticks is if I find one on me and pull it off, I can bring it in to be tested for Lyme. I did not mean deodorant, but rather antiperspirant. When my pits get sweaty for too long, they hurt like hell (TMI).

How does the reservation system work? What if I reserve a spot for a certain day, but end up hiking further? What if I don't make it to my destination? Who is enforcing this?

Some really good ideas here. Thank you.

I just had a "tick battery" of tests run on my blood two days ago and am still waiting to hear from doctor's office.Yep,got the "bull
seye" albeit a very small one which prompted the concern.

TSWisla
12-07-2016, 19:14
Siestita-

Thank you. I have given this all a lot of thought and much preparation has gone into my trips. My hiking partner has held me back, but I am ready to head out alone now. I have to. The reason that I am limited to certain times is because of my job and children. I have to go in early spring because that is when I get time off and my kids are in school. I will have to head out on my planned days and hope for the best. Thank you for your advice.

Five Tango-

Lyme disease is no joke. The bulls eye is only present in relatively few cases. It is important that you follow up. Best of luck.

Venchka
12-07-2016, 20:15

There is a very easy solution to all of your concerns in this and your other thread.
Go backpacking in places without so many restrictions and regulations.
Thousands of miles of trails through hundreds of thousands of acres of wilderness areas are waiting to be explored. Go forth and enjoy!
Wayne

Venchka
12-07-2016, 20:26
Correction:
Millions of acres.
Wayne