PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking in GA to test gear and myself before AT?

Indigo Hawk
12-06-2016, 19:41
Does anyone have some excellent trails in GA for gear testing and a bit of practice? I've picked out some day hikes and two or three weekend backpacking hikes here in FL but only two have something other than flat terrain. I was thinking of hiking the Florida Trail but I'm wanting to save that to do later. I can easily drive to GA and was hoping for a trail or two (preferably loops but if not that's cool) to hike before hitting the AT in 2018.

dudeijuststarted
12-06-2016, 20:03
Hate to state the obvious but the southern terminus of the AT is in Georgia. Just go there and start walking.

Indigo Hawk
12-06-2016, 20:13
I know and one of the PRE-AT hikes I was thinking of testing my gear on. I was hoping for something with a similar feel to the AT that I could hike a few days on. Loops are preferred. (I cannot just go there and start walking.)

skater
12-06-2016, 20:15
If you're looking for a loop, there are several you can do from Springer using the Benton MacKaye trail which intersects the AT in several points. Or do the AT/Duncan Ridge/BMT loop (a.k.a. the Georgia Loop), which is an excellent test of your gear and preparedness.

Indigo Hawk
12-06-2016, 20:19
If you're looking for a loop, there are several you can do from Springer using the Benton MacKaye trail which intersects the AT in several points. Or do the AT/Duncan Ridge/BMT loop (a.k.a. the Georgia Loop), which is an excellent test of your gear and preparedness.

The Georgia Loop sounds like what I'm looking for! Thank you!

Abatis1948
12-06-2016, 22:33
A couple of good loops at https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Torreya (https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Torreya). These trails are the closest thing to match the AT in Florida. You can do these trails at Torreya almost any time and then move up to the AT when the weather is not as cold as it will be in the next few months.

ScareBear
12-06-2016, 23:07
You CAN go there and "just start hiking". There are plenty of reasonable shuttle services. Try out one of the hiker hostels between Dahlonega and Fontana Dam. Plenty of very challenging trails. Some great hikes are the up to the bald and down the other side of Cheoah with NOC as your base, or up Jacob's Ladder and across the ridgetop and down into Fontana. You can leave your vehicle there and they will pick you up and bring you back for a reasonable fee or no fee at all. For training purposes, its hard NOT to find very challenging terrain on the AT between Cooper's Gap and Fontana Dam....YMMV

RockDoc
12-06-2016, 23:30
good idea to do this... If more people did serious trials there would be fewer crash and burns before Fontana.

Indigo Hawk
12-07-2016, 00:26
You CAN go there and "just start hiking". There are plenty of reasonable shuttle services.

No. I cannot. I'm not willing to do a shuttle service at the moment and I have other factors besides that.

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 02:12
I used to live in Tampa(Temple Terrace) and attended University of S. Florida. I would wear a backpack and power walk/hike across, up, over, and back on the Howard Franklin and Gandy Bridges on weeknights and early mornings that mimicked climbing and descending conditions on trails. Not much elevation change bit still trail hiking I'd hike along the Hillsborough River at Hillsborough River SP doing an out and back 11 mile day hike double loop overnighting at the Backpackers CG on the Florida Tr Loop portion that included the named Florida Tr, Baynard Nature Tr, and other Nature Trails http://suncoast.floridatrail.org/web/hrsp_map.php. Additionally, not to be assumed is easy, I had a old backpack I weighed down with about 25 lbs keeping the hip belt undone I'd hike in the Gulf around Indian Rocks Beach in about 3-4 ft of water with small 2-3 waves hitting me just 50-100 ft off the beach. To this day I recognize that training to have helped me with my footwork and balance while backpacking. I'd also run steps at the USF Sun Dome and other steps across the USF campus. I did the same in downtown Tampa hiking along the river and out to Ybor City and back to Tampa University across several bridges.

It is my sincere opinion that training on hilly dedicated single track trails is not absolutely warranted if one wants to train for backpacking.

ScareBear
12-07-2016, 07:10
No. I cannot. I'm not willing to do a shuttle service at the moment and I have other factors besides that.

Not willing or financially unable? Because, I don't get unwilling. I get financially unable.

Sigh. There's this thing....something....Indian.....something.....loo p.....do some homework and you will find what you are looking for. A good place to start would be to google "northern georgia loop hikes"...

jfconnolly2
12-07-2016, 07:42
Something a little closer to home would be FDR State Park in Pine Mountain, Georgia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
12-07-2016, 08:02
I know and one of the PRE-AT hikes I was thinking of testing my gear on. I was hoping for something with a similar feel to the AT that I could hike a few days on. Loops are preferred. (I cannot just go there and start walking.)

How about the AT? :-?

AO2134
12-07-2016, 10:57
Georgia has the Bartram Trail, the Benton MacKaye Trail and the Pinhoti Trail. I've section hiked all three. The Bartram Trail may be a good choice if you wish to "save" the AT for your thru attempt.

The Foothills Trail in SC is another good option.

Bartram Trail is about 112 miles. BMT is about 286 miles. Pinhoti Trail is about 335 miles. The Foothills Trail is about 77 miles.

jcreamer
12-07-2016, 11:08
To limit your driving time there are a few places in South Georgia that provide weekend loops/trails for hiking.
I second the Pine Mountain Trail if you are looking for a quick long weekend hike (although it can be done easily two days). Some ups and downs, nice scenery, and afterward you can visit the Little White House. Also, there is the Little Grand Canyon (Providence Canyon State Park) in southwest GA. It is also a quick weekend loop but would be a good gear shake down. It's also kind of scenic and significantly different topography than anything else you will find in the southern part of Georgia.
Living i FL I am sure you are aware of Torreya State Park near Tallahassee. There are two loops. One is called the "challenge loop" and it is just that - challenging. Not real scenic but the west loop is adjacent to the river and is very pretty. Also some good ups and downs here too.
Good luck.
JC

Indigo Hawk
12-07-2016, 18:33
Not willing or financially unable? Because, I don't get unwilling. I get financially unable.

Sigh. There's this thing....something....Indian.....something.....loo p.....do some homework and you will find what you are looking for. A good place to start would be to google "northern georgia loop hikes"...

Dude, I don't like your tone. I've got reasons that are not your business and I don't have to justify myself to you. And I did google, extensively, but I like hearing from people who have personal experience.

Indigo Hawk
12-07-2016, 18:37
Thank you so much for the respectful and polite response with actual answers. I've jotted a few down (included the ones in FL) for my list.

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 18:54
No problem from me. You're very welcome. Enjoy your training. :cool:

egilbe
12-07-2016, 19:03
Dude, I don't like your tone. I've got reasons that are not your business and I don't have to justify myself to you. And I did google, extensively, but I like hearing from people who have personal experience.

There is no tone to the written word. Its all in your own head. Try to lighten up and enjoy your time here. The snark comes with the territory and its free.

ScareBear
12-07-2016, 19:17

You don't like my tone?

You said you were unwilling. I don't understand "unwilling". Unable, yes. Unwilling, no. You are unable but unwilling to share why? Just grow a pair and say so, instead of disliking my tone.

You could have clarified, you were never asked to justify.

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. The easiest way not to be bothered by people is not to talk to people. Don't ask questions. Don't seek advice.

I gave you advice. If you would have bothered, you would have found that I pointed you to one of the best loops involving the AT, just past Georgia. Actually...the best loop I have found.

Here's some more advice....a guy walks into a bar and asks for directions...the first barfly says "Go right at the light" the second barfly says "Go left at the light" the third barfly says "Go look at a map, if you want to be sure". The guy who asked for directions turns to the third barfly and says "I don't like your tone! I was just asking for directions" The third barfly replies, "Well, then follow his directions", not pointing to either of the other barflies....

Uncle Joe
12-07-2016, 19:46
I used to live in Tampa(Temple Terrace) and attended University of S. Florida.

Grew up on Temple Ave. many, many moons ago.

For the OP, the GA Loop is a good loop and about ~50mi. Keep in mind the DRT has limited water sources.

June Quinn
12-17-2016, 13:13
I live in Blue Ridg Ga, lots of great trails in the Aska adventure area also some in Tennessee, also some great hikes on the Benton MacKaye trail.

coyote9
12-18-2016, 01:00

Why does it seem like every post from you is negative and judgemental? Can you try to be more respectful and positive please. Thank you

ScareBear
12-18-2016, 08:05
Why does it seem like every post from you is negative and judgemental? Can you try to be more respectful and positive please. Thank you
Thank you for that respectful and POSITIVE non-judgemental feedback, in public.

coyote9
12-18-2016, 21:51
Thank you for that respectful and POSITIVE non-judgemental feedback, in public.
I asked you politely and respectfully to be respectful to others here. Nothing wrong with doing so in public eye. You have already caught some attention on here from others in regard to your comments. More than once you have violated the rules of this forum when you attack and belittle others. People seek the trail for peace, nature, and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of. You remind them of what they are trying to get away from when you degrade and condescendingly respond to honest opinions and questions.

ScareBear
12-19-2016, 07:02
I asked you politely and respectfully to be respectful to others here. Nothing wrong with doing so in public eye. You have already caught some attention on here from others in regard to your comments. More than once you have violated the rules of this forum when you attack and belittle others. People seek the trail for peace, nature, and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of. You remind them of what they are trying to get away from when you degrade and condescendingly respond to honest opinions and questions.

Nonsense. I reply to honest questions with honest answers, based on more than 40 years of wilderness experience. And, unlike most, I usually add hyperlinks to assist the OP in finding the goods. Now, "opinions" are a different animal. Everyone has one. And, in a public forum, if you put out an opinion that is not based upon fact, you should be prepared to debate your opinion. When your opinion is so preposterous as to be laughable(e.g. hiking poles are an essential safety item) then you should be prepared for some scorn, derision, and general guffawing. Especially if you invent stories/facts to support an untenable position. If you look at my posts responding to honest questions, you will see straightforward answers, possibly of value! Usually without any snark. However....if you ask a question on a public forum that a 5 second Google search would have disclosed the answer to...you may get an honest reply with a heavy dose of snark. Or, in some forums....<crickets> will be the response to said question. If you ask for an opinion, you will get one. Depending on your phrasing of your request for said opinion, it may or may not come with snark. I am sorry you are so offended. I would tell you I will change, just for you. But I don't lie. So, I won't.

Also, I don't do passive-aggressive. If you think I violate TOS or rules, report me. Send me a PM if you don't like me and want me to change my evil ways. You posted this, in public, hoping others would chime in, supporting your negativity towards me. Classic passive-aggressive. If you think that I am an offensive troll whose constant and pervasive negativity are harshing your buzz and I am somehow infringing on how " People seek the trail for peace, nature, and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of. " by " remind them of what they are trying to get away from when you degrade and condescendingly respond to honest opinions and questions." then you or anyone else needs to hit the 'ignore' button and be done with me. Your little post is quite the picture of someone seeking peace and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of, isn't it? But, you are entitled to your opinion. I'd say I would try to play nicer, but I already play nice with those asking honest questions and those who give reasoned opinions. Those with passive-aggressive tendencies, and those who have half-baked or completely wrong opinions(when compared to unassailable facts) may get the snark. I will refrain from name-calling(I prefer the term "adjective"...). There. Happy now?

HYOH. YMMV.

Secondmouse
12-19-2016, 10:00

dude. a web forum, even a web forum about the trail, is not the trail...

Elaikases
12-19-2016, 13:08
Hate to state the obvious but the southern terminus of the AT is in Georgia. Just go there and start walking.

Or, check in at the lodge, catch a shuttle to the border, and hike back to the lodge. My wife and I did that for a shakedown and enjoyed it.

Elaikases
12-19-2016, 13:14
Now, if you really don't want a shuttle, even just a one way, and really want a loop ...

Just do this loop: http://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/blood-mountain-loop-hiking-appalachian-trail-freeman-trail/

You can look at more short hikes and loops: http://www.atlantatrails.com/blog/georgia-appalachian-trail-great-hikes/

It is hard to know exactly what you are looking for.

You can also do something similar (using Greyhound busses instead of shuttles) in combination with http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-113171.html

ScareBear
12-19-2016, 20:00
You know, I owe the OP a slight apology. Upon reflection, I should not have been so snarky and obfuscated the actual name of one of THE best two or three day loops on the AT. I should have come right out and said it. It's famous enough, I suppose....I won't give away my secrets about it though!!! Here are some links. Its called "Standing Indian Loop" and includes free, safe parking, two mountains, one of which is kind of a real ascent, not a walk. And, a fire-tower. And...well...you need to study an AT map, a topo map and search for some more clues, I've given too much away!! Just kidding...kinda...YMMV...

https://www.theoutbound.com/north-carolina/backpacking/backpack-the-standing-indian-loop-on-the-appalachian-trail

And.....the final authority......

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/84137-Standing-Indian-Loop

Just sayin...

mitch
12-30-2016, 17:52
You know, I owe the OP a slight apology. Upon reflection, I should not have been so snarky and obfuscated the actual name of one of THE best two or three day loops on the AT. I should have come right out and said it. It's famous enough, I suppose....I won't give away my secrets about it though!!! Here are some links. Its called "Standing Indian Loop" and includes free, safe parking, two mountains, one of which is kind of a real ascent, not a walk. And, a fire-tower. And...well...you need to study an AT map, a topo map and search for some more clues, I've given too much away!! Just kidding...kinda...YMMV...

https://www.theoutbound.com/north-carolina/backpacking/backpack-the-standing-indian-loop-on-the-appalachian-trail

And.....the final authority......

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/84137-Standing-Indian-Loop

Just sayin...

That wasn't too hard was it?

art_mapman
01-09-2017, 17:59
I second the Georgia Loop with the AT and BMT. Haven't done it myself but that area is beautiful. I have done part of the BMT further north around Big Frog Mtn.
I've done 50+/- miles of the Pinhoti in Alabama, pretty nice but no opportunities for a loop. From my understanding (others may have better info) the Pinhoti in Georgia still involves a lot of roadwalking (as does the southernmost section in Alabama south of Hwy. 280.)
I think if you want to test yourself (physical fitness as opposed to just gear readiness) you should do something with significant elevation change, like any of the trails in North Georgia. I realize it's a long drive for you but if you can make the opportunity, it will be worthwhile.
One last word re: snarkiness: hike your own hike. Cliche perhaps, but true.