PDA

View Full Version : Pack color?

Indigo Hawk
12-06-2016, 20:29
A lot of my gear is in the olive green and blue ranges. Should my pack be something vivid like orange or red? Yellow even?

egilbe
12-06-2016, 20:30
Whatever color you want. There is no should.

Feral Bill
12-06-2016, 20:35
Some people like brightly colored gear because it stands out. Some people hate brightly colored gear because it stands out. Take your pick, but be sure the thing fits well.

Cheyou
12-06-2016, 20:43
Well if it's hunting season I go orange. Must work I'm still alive.

Thom

Indigo Hawk
12-06-2016, 20:49
Well if it's hunting season I go orange. Must work I'm still alive.

Thom

That's something I was thinking about. I like orange anyways.

johnnybgood
12-06-2016, 21:01
Blaze orange pack cover and bandanna is really sufficient enough. Down side to brightly colored packs is they show dirt and wear more easily.

Indigo Hawk
12-06-2016, 21:05
Blaze orange pack cover and bandanna is really sufficient enough. Down side to brightly colored packs is they show dirt and wear more easily.

It's something I'm willing to risk. Knowing me, I'd probably remark it as "badge of honor" type thing.

MtDoraDave
12-06-2016, 22:56
During hunting season, I am sure to hike with a blaze orange hat on. I saw 2 hunters on the Trail a couple weeks ago. Well, one was on the trail - he asked me if I'd seen any deer. The other one was about 10' off the trail, and he saw me before I saw him. I don't know if he had his gun pointed toward the noise that was me before seeing my orange hat come up the hill... but after I saw him I was sure glad I was wearing the orange.

But yeah. I'm not "tactical" when I'm hiking. In fact, I haven't been tactical since I was in the military. I'm hiking to hike, not hide. If I fall off the side of the mountain, I'd like for searchers to be able to see me - so my regular pack is bright blue and bright green.

swisscross
12-06-2016, 23:01
I like my indigo pack better than my green one.

Alligator
12-06-2016, 23:38
A lot of my gear is in the olive green and blue ranges. Should my pack be something vivid like orange or red? Yellow even?How are your navigation skills:D?

Indigo Hawk
12-07-2016, 00:24
How are your navigation skills:D?

In truth, a work in progress. The brightest colors possible it is! :)

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 02:19
Packs of Day glow lime green with little black and white, blue, and red Grateful Dead skulls on it like a Dalmation and wearing Neon Hover Kicks is the way to go. Make sure to get that punk rocker hatchet spike blue hair too.

robertmawson
12-07-2016, 03:09
Most of the time it is up to you. I just love cherry and black, cherry and yellow combination. So these are the colors I am always going to choose.

Couple of things to consider:

*It is easier to get noticed, found (if you are lost) when you wear bright colors (orange).
*If you decide to wear earth colors (brown, grey, black) make sure you have at least one NOTICEABLE peace of gear or clothing that is BRIGHT. This will greatly reduce the chance of being shot by hunters.

Secondmouse
12-07-2016, 03:40
why do you hike why do you go to the woods? tap into that feeling and buy whatever color you like...

fastfoxengineering
12-07-2016, 06:10
On the AT any color is fine. However, if you plan on using this pack outside of hiking. Maybe traveling in another country. I have found any color is suitable as long as it's subdued. No neons, bright, loud colors. Think bright neon orange vs flat burnt orange. Flat colors are blend in more and you don't stick out like a sore thumb. Black, blue, green, grey, purple, yellow, whatever. Just keep it not so flashy and rub some dirt on it. Travelling tip #97

rocketsocks
12-07-2016, 10:56
...never hike the desert with a black pack.

fastfoxengineering
12-07-2016, 13:55
...never hike the desert with a black pack.

Have you really found that black a pack get's that much hotter in the desert than another color so much so that it becomes a problem?

I'd be curious to see some actually numbers, it would be interesting to see. I guess it would depend heavily on the fabric the pack is made of as well

H I T C H
12-07-2016, 14:06
Cost dictated my decision. I would have opted for blue but the brick red version of my pack went on sale for about 30 % less than blue. I am happy with it now that I have it and even happier to have saved some $$ buck$ ;)

Starchild
12-07-2016, 14:39
LNT would tend towards more earth tones, I do like bring standout colors, not only for hunting seasons but easier to find for the occasion you put it down to walk off trail and want to find it, and the trail, again.

Dogwood
12-07-2016, 14:53
Most of the time it is up to you. I just love cherry and black, cherry and yellow combination. So these are the colors I am always going to choose.

Couple of things to consider:

*It is easier to get noticed, found (if you are lost) when you wear bright colors (orange).
*If you decide to wear earth colors (brown, grey, black) make sure you have at least one NOTICEABLE peace of gear or clothing that is BRIGHT. This will greatly reduce the chance of being shot by hunters.

But I bet you don't like eating cherries?

Welcome.

Cheyou
12-07-2016, 15:08
LNT would tend towards more earth tones, I do like bring standout colors, not only for hunting seasons but easier to find for the occasion you put it down to walk off trail and want to find it, and the trail, again.

Idont understand . I don't leave my pack so no LNT problem.

robertmawson
12-08-2016, 01:46
I never tried! But I think cherries would stain my cherry jacket, which is not really good for keeping it cherry!

But I bet you don't like eating cherries?

Welcome.

ScareBear
12-08-2016, 08:54
Blaze orange or safety yellow.

Never camo or tan or forest green...

Sandy of PA
12-08-2016, 11:37
Gee, I have 3 packs, 1 Camo, 1 Tan, and 1 forest green. I like to blend in, especially when digging a cathole.

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2016, 12:23
Idont understand . I don't leave my pack so no LNT problem.

The LNT organization gets pedantic with their recommendations sometimes. They advise against bright colors since it might be disruptive to wildlife and other hikers' wilderness experience (I wish I was joking).

It's a shame that they out recommendations like this because it makes them look like fools and likely causes people to take their organization less seriously.

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2016, 12:26
For the record, my pack is dull green and black, because that's the color of the pack that fit me the best. If I Were worried about being seen or hiking around hunters then I me be wearing my orange short and hat myself.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2016, 13:52
Bright primary colors attract bugs. Look and smell like a flower and you can guess the results...

Feral Bill
12-08-2016, 13:58
Bright primary colors attract bugs. Look and smell like a flower and you can guess the results...
Red attracts hummingbirds. Which is a good thing.

illabelle
12-08-2016, 13:58
I don't know about you, but I certainly don't smell like a flower on the trail!
:)

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2016, 14:00
Red attracts hummingbirds. Which is a good thing.

Also attracts bulls. :D

Feral Bill
12-08-2016, 14:52
Also attracts bulls. :D Not so good.

H I T C H
12-08-2016, 16:50
As the owner of a red pack I am happy to report that bulls are in fact color blind.

Bill and I can breath a sigh of relief <sigh>.

Bring on the hummingbirds !

Hitch

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2016, 16:56
As the owner of a red pack I am happy to report that bulls are in fact color blind.

Bill and I can breath a sigh of relief <sigh>.

Bring on the hummingbirds !

Hitch

I'm not convinced. I'd rather hear it from the owner of a bull.

whatsananna
12-08-2016, 18:22
Or better yet, a bull! And even then, how do you know you could trust him. You know how bulls are. [emoji36]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feral Bill
12-08-2016, 18:37
https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/cows-color-blind-66f86831803d11ea I think I'll avoid annoying bulls regardless.

Sarcasm the elf
12-08-2016, 18:39
https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/cows-color-blind-66f86831803d11ea I think I'll avoid annoying bulls regardless.

Annoying bulls are the worst kind of bulls...

H I T C H
12-08-2016, 19:50
Check out the Hummingbird and red backpack here.

Scroll about halfway down the page.

http://www.johnpool.net/marble.html

Hitch

ScareBear
12-08-2016, 20:22
Gee, I have 3 packs, 1 Camo, 1 Tan, and 1 forest green. I like to blend in, especially when digging a cathole.

Do yourself a favor and NEVER GO HIKING WITH THOSE PACKS IN DEER SEASON WITHOUT A BLAZE COVER....

I can't believe I actually had to type that...

ScareBear
12-08-2016, 20:22
Or bear season. Or any freaking hunting season...

Indigo Hawk
12-08-2016, 20:41
I've found several packs in my price range and am considering a muted green, blaze orange, and this surprisingly vivid shade of blue. Does red really attract hummingbirds? I love humming birds!

Zig-Zag
12-08-2016, 20:55
Use whatever you like. My local hikes are through some state hunting lands so i stick with orange for day pack, big pack, etc....

MtDoraDave
12-12-2016, 21:14
During hunting season (like my last two hikes) I wear the bright (Blaze) orange hat. They're two or three dollars at walmart. If it's cold, get a blaze orange warm hat, too.

The bright colors on my backpack are truly coincidental... Campmor had the Jansport Katahdin 60 on sale for $60, so I bought it on impulse. My other packs have been a camouflage military pack (super heavy) and muted green/gray on a REI Mars I bought from a neighbor for $40.

But like I said earlier, I'm not trying to hide or go tactical with my hiking equipment, but visibility is a valid safety concern.

H I T C H
12-13-2016, 11:46
You can always add a blaze orange pack cover to any pack for visibility in hunting season.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/WhiteBlazeAT/OrangePackCover_zpsaod8iwrq.jpg

Hitch

trailmercury
12-13-2016, 12:07
I like subdued colors. My pack color is black.
As far as big game/deer hunting, the firearms seasons that require hunters to wear blaze orange/hot pink usually last 2 weeks or less. I simply avoid hiking on public land during those times...I would probably be hunting myself, and I wouldn't want to spook their quarry of course!
I bet that blaze orange pack cover is relatively heavy compared to wearing a lightweight knit stocking cap in blaze.

Another Kevin
12-13-2016, 12:17
The LNT organization gets pedantic with their recommendations sometimes. They advise against bright colors since it might be disruptive to wildlife and other hikers' wilderness experience (I wish I was joking).

It's a shame that they out recommendations like this because it makes them look like fools and likely causes people to take their organization less seriously.

Yeah, that's one of the things where they don't adapt to conditions. If you're out in the desert, or above treeline, or otherwise have really long sight lines, you probably do want to avoid spoiling people's views by camping in tents with garish colours that can be seen a day's walk away. It matters a lot less when you can't be seen a minute's walk away.

My usual pack at the moment is dull green and grey - again, it's because the pack fits me and holds my stuff. In hunting season I have a blaze orange vest, pack cover, and tuque. I'm pretty visible, even if I pull the hood of my dull green jacket up over the tuque.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7521/15673754056_7d617329e3.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pT361U)

The LNT recommendation for rubber tips on trekking poles is nearly as ridiculous. The talk about the scratches that the poles leave in rock makes me say, "you don't hike much in winter, do you?" There are some places where the crampon scratches in the rock are the easiest-to-follow sign that a trail is there. And I'm not going without my crampons when there's serious ice about!

peakbagger
12-13-2016, 12:24
I've found several packs in my price range and am considering a muted green, blaze orange, and this surprisingly vivid shade of blue. Does red really attract hummingbirds? I love humming birds!

I used to have red pack and have been visited by a few hummingbirds over the years. I was on trip in the 100 mile wilderness sitting on ledge miles away from civilization and had one come hang around my pack. I have seen them attracted to red patches on packs also.

The LNT argument about bright versus muted colors may be fine in the summer but the winter rescue folks up in the whites would really like you to stand out, hopefully to rescue you but also handy to find the body ;)

rocketsocks
12-13-2016, 12:39
Yeah, that's one of the things where they don't adapt to conditions. If you're out in the desert, or above treeline, or otherwise have really long sight lines, you probably do want to avoid spoiling people's views by camping in tents with garish colours that can be seen a day's walk away. It matters a lot less when you can't be seen a minute's walk away.

My usual pack at the moment is dull green and grey - again, it's because the pack fits me and holds my stuff. In hunting season I have a blaze orange vest, pack cover, and tuque. I'm pretty visible, even if I pull the hood of my dull green jacket up over the tuque.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7521/15673754056_7d617329e3.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pT361U)

The LNT recommendation for rubber tips on trekking poles is nearly as ridiculous. The talk about the scratches that the poles leave in rock makes me say, "you don't hike much in winter, do you?" There are some places where the crampon scratches in the rock are the easiest-to-follow sign that a trail is there. And I'm not going without my crampons when there's serious ice about!When I started climbing in the 80's there was a small to use only earth tones as sometimes gear is abandoned and left in place. Almost over night slings and runners went from primary colors to earth tones, pack and bags came next...and then the 90's came and so did pastels, tooth fruity, and neon...ugh!

egilbe
12-13-2016, 12:57
I used to have red pack and have been visited by a few hummingbirds over the years. I was on trip in the 100 mile wilderness sitting on ledge miles away from civilization and had one come hang around my pack. I have seen them attracted to red patches on packs also.

The LNT argument about bright versus muted colors may be fine in the summer but the winter rescue folks up in the whites would really like you to stand out, hopefully to rescue you but also handy to find the body ;)

I halfway joke about that with my garish orange and yellows my winter hiking gear tends to be. The rest of the year, I'm more comfortable in earth tones.

colorado_rob
12-13-2016, 12:57

It's a shame that they out recommendations like this because it makes them look like fools and likely causes people to take their organization less seriously.where did you see this? I cannot find any such recommendation on lnt.org, or any other lnt web site. I'm really curious.

Edit; found it on lnt.org, nevermind.

It is interesting to read the different color preferences here, they might be somewhat regional, like in the more crowded east, seems like more folks like to blend in. Everyone i know out here in Colorado seems to carry and wear bright everything.

I personally buy what's on sale and ignor the color of everything. If no difference in price, i go for bright colors for small little safety benefit. My wife always goes for bright girly colors, pink, lavender, etc.

rickb
12-13-2016, 17:23
I am a fan of subdued colors.

A good deal of LNT (most of it actually) has nothing to do with preserving the ecosystem, but rather enhancing people's weekend experience.

Nothing wrong with that, but best to call a spade a spade.

in the Whites, subdued tents camping legally a few 10s of feet away from a pond's edge can be invisible to campers on the other side. That's a good thing, I think.

Not because it matters in any objective sence, but rather because it enhances others' sence of wildness and experience in some SMALL way.

As an added benefit, subdued tents and clothes help will hide you and your camp when the zombie apocalypse comes.

rocketsocks
12-13-2016, 18:03
where did you see this? I cannot find any such recommendation on lnt.org, or any other lnt web site. I'm really curious.

Edit; found it on lnt.org, nevermind.

It is interesting to read the different color preferences here, they might be somewhat regional, like in the more crowded east, seems like more folks like to blend in. Everyone i know out here in Colorado seems to carry and wear bright everything.

I personally buy what's on sale and ignor the color of everything. If no difference in price, i go for bright colors for small little safety benefit. My wife always goes for bright girly colors, pink, lavender, etc.with regard to my comment above it actually started in California as I recall.

jimmyjam
12-13-2016, 18:28
I have a black pack. So black packs matter.

squeezebox
12-13-2016, 18:55
A bicycle blinky light if you really want to be seen during hunting season.

-Rush-
12-30-2016, 11:56
I'm not a fan of the loud neon colors. I've got a red ULA Circuit.

Odd Man Out
12-30-2016, 12:44
I have a bright red Elemental Horizons Kalais pack. My other gear tends to be drab colors to blend in. I do have a silver mylar coated dollar store car sunscreen I cary for sitting on, tent alcove floor, extra insulation under sleeping pad, or stove wind block (good multi use item). I also figure it can function as a signal device so the SAR people can find my body. I've never hiked in hunting season. Not sure if the red pack is visible enough. Does it have to be orange?

But there is a great video of a lecture on bear safety by Tom Smith. It has been referenced in several bear threads. In that lecture, he says that bright colors attract bears to your campsite. I think this applies mostly to tents, as that is what will be visible at night when the bears are likely to visit. One of the definitions of stealth camping is to camp in such a way as to not at track critters. Usually the focus is on minimizing scents, but minimizing visual I'm act may also be a part of at least according to Smith. I don't know if he has published research on this issue or if he was just speaking on anecdotaanecdotal evidence, but he is very experienced so it's worth considering.

Odd Man Out
12-30-2016, 12:58
BTW, his story is at 52 minutes into the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y

Bronk
12-30-2016, 16:07
Its gotten harder to buy gear now that some trails have color restrictions and the fines have become exhorbitant.

Engine
12-30-2016, 17:25
Its gotten harder to buy gear now that some trails have color restrictions and the fines have become exhorbitant.

I assume you're joking?

rocketsocks
12-30-2016, 18:40
Its gotten harder to buy gear now that some trails have color restrictions and the fines have become exhorbitant.whut tha! Serious???

AfterParty
12-30-2016, 19:42
I got a black pack and a orange cover. I have a variety of colors though. It can enhance my mood.

rocketsocks
12-31-2016, 04:40
I got a black pack and a orange cover. I have a variety of colors though. It can enhance my mood.
a "mood pack" that changes colors...berrie intaesting

Leo L.
12-31-2016, 06:09
Whatever color the pack has, all parts contacting the body should be black or another very dark color, to let dry off the sweat in the sun faster.
On all my older Lowe packs its designed like this, but in the newer packs (various Deuters, a Gregory, a Lightwave and some nonames) it isn't.
Seems that pack designers are focussing on the more fancy features nowadays, than on the basic ones.

Tundracamper
01-01-2017, 10:50

If your not joking, please be sure and list those trails so I can make them off my to-do list. I'm guessing most of them are in CA - ha!

Wyoming
01-01-2017, 13:16
I have a bright red Elemental Horizons Kalais pack. My other gear tends to be drab colors to blend in. I do have a silver mylar coated dollar store car sunscreen I cary for sitting on, tent alcove floor, extra insulation under sleeping pad, or stove wind block (good multi use item). I also figure it can function as a signal device so the SAR people can find my body. I've never hiked in hunting season. Not sure if the red pack is visible enough. Does it have to be orange?

But there is a great video of a lecture on bear safety by Tom Smith. It has been referenced in several bear threads. In that lecture, he says that bright colors attract bears to your campsite. I think this applies mostly to tents, as that is what will be visible at night when the bears are likely to visit. One of the definitions of stealth camping is to camp in such a way as to not at track critters. Usually the focus is on minimizing scents, but minimizing visual I'm act may also be a part of at least according to Smith. I don't know if he has published research on this issue or if he was just speaking on anecdotaanecdotal evidence, but he is very experienced so it's worth considering.

Hmm well I am not sure what Mr. Smith actually said exactly, but it is certain that bears do not see oranges or reds anywhere near as well as we do. Most of what people think about various animals eyesight is wrong (excepting those who spend the time to learn the specifics - I don't know how many times I have had to explain to people that dogs 'can' see colors and not just black and white, though they are red/green color blind). Bears are primarily scent driven as the link explains.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/04/01/everything-ever-wanted-know-bear-eyesight/

Wyoming
01-01-2017, 13:28
Have you really found that black a pack get's that much hotter in the desert than another color so much so that it becomes a problem?

I'd be curious to see some actually numbers, it would be interesting to see. I guess it would depend heavily on the fabric the pack is made of as well

I have about 8000 miles of real desert hiking experience and wanted to add a little to your skepticism.

I think the only physical effect which might come into play with a dark pack over a lighter (more reflective) color pack is the extra heat it would hold 'might' spoil your food quicker. But since most of us don't carry spoilable food it would not matter.

Now when it comes to what you are actually wearing it does make a big difference. Black (or dark color) shirts, pants, shoes and especially hats is definitely a bad idea in really hot sunny locations.

sheepdog
01-03-2017, 20:02
A recent study proved that those with yellow packs finished the trail more often than all other packs combined. Purple packs were more apt to quit.

Traffic Jam
01-03-2017, 20:38
I don't care what color my pack is, as long as it coordinates with my outfit.

jimmyjam
01-03-2017, 22:07
I don't care what color my pack is, as long as it coordinates with my outfit.

Now that's funny.

ScareBear
01-04-2017, 09:28
A recent study proved that those with yellow packs finished the trail more often than all other packs combined. Purple packs were more apt to quit.

HAHAHAH!!! That is the post-of-the-day!

Deadeye
01-04-2017, 10:10
I have to admit -it's easier to find stuff in a light-colored pack, that's the only practical consideration I have color-wise. Except of course avoiding annoying bulls or hunters.

swisscross
01-04-2017, 11:26

Anyone want to buy a not so gently used purple ULA CDT?

boshettee
01-04-2017, 12:13
I'm still looking for a paisley colored pack; that way I will have all color variations covered!!

Traffic Jam
01-04-2017, 12:23
I'm still looking for a paisley colored pack; that way I will have all color variations covered!!

Check with ULA, I think they made someone a Hello Kitty pack. :D

(or maybe it was pink camo)

LongBlaze2019
01-04-2017, 16:51
I use a black pack but I tend to wear bright colors un treat warmer months. In the colder months I use an orange pack cover.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

DownEaster
03-16-2017, 02:13
I'm not too concerned with the pack color as exposed to following hikers' eyes, but I really don't want the part nearest my back to be dark. Any chance the sun has to heat that up will, by Murphy's grace, be sufficient to make you feel like you're wearing a heating pad. That's the biggest downside to the ULA Circuit: regardless of the fabric color chosen, the majority of that pack is black. Sweat city!