PDA

View Full Version : Another 2017 NOBO rough gear list

Shrewd
12-06-2016, 23:12
Howdy all, yet another gear list from an aspiring thru hiker, and also a new hanger.
I'm not a gram counter, in fact I don't even have a scale. So there are as yet no weights.
Still, I'd love to hear what you fine folks think!

Pack:
Dueter act zero/atmos ag50/ULA circuit
Unsure - I own the first two...fit ok, little heavy
Plastic liner

Clothing:
Patagonia thermal hoodie - mid layer
Patagonia thermal legs - camp
Exofficio boxers x2
Patagonia hiking shorts
Running leggings for cold hiking???
Beanie
Darn tough socks x2
Warm sleep socks
Patagonia lightweight shirt
Patagonia mid weight camp top
Patagonia puffy
Rain jacket - OR helium 2
Rain pants - cold only
Stuff sack 12L
Stormr water gloves with liner
Hammockforums buff
Dirty girl gaiters

Sleep system:
Warbonnet BB XLC W straps and Dutch clips
Hammockgear cuben tarp with bling in snakeskin (alas no doors)
mid-Atlantic mountain works Marcy 20 top quilt (waiting on this)
Loco libre 20 underquilt (still waiting on this)
7 stakes with 12 or so feet of zing it
Sit pad for foot box
Mah down pillow
Dry sack for the quilts

Food and water:
Pocket rocket
Gsi soloist
Titanium spoon
Bic Lighter
Small sack for the cook kit
12l dry sack for hanging
Hand sanitizer
Sawyer squeeze
2L platy for dirty water
1 smart water bottle or Gatorade
Cordage for hanging
Backup aqua mira
Small camp towel
Small nalgene for olive oil/sriracha

Hygiene: in non waterproof cuben sack
TP in separate ziploc
Dr bronners
Tiny toothbrush
Toothpaste
Small first aid
ibuprofen and meds
Bug spray
Sunscreen?
Chub rub?

Electronics all in one ziploc:
Petzl tikka
Charger (unsure of model,cheap)
iPhone cables

Misc:
Ziplocs
Extra bic
Duct tape? Around trekking poles?
Cuben fiber repair patches
Two 25 foot sections of lash-it cord
Pack cover
Couple of light biners

I have a blog over at TheTrek.co (formally AppalachianTrials.com) if you care to follow my little quest!

https://thetrek.co/author/rhys-hora/

coyote9
12-07-2016, 00:28
Patagonia mid weight camp top: did you mean to add two mids?

I like to keep my headlamp easily accessible.

Are you putting together a little 1st aid kit?

Chub rub? ;) ;)

coyote9
12-07-2016, 00:31
Also havnt found need for a pack cover. Ive used contractor or compactor bags (military and civ) for a long time and its all Ive needed.

JEgestad
12-07-2016, 06:39
try using www.lighterpack.com much easier to see what is what :)

Shrewd
12-07-2016, 08:47
The patty thermal weight is going to be my standard wear around midnmayer, 2)243 as the mid weight is going to be my camp/sleep shirt (I already had one)

in warmer weather I'll swap it out for another Tee

chub rub, thigh glide, whatever you like to call your anti chafe stuff :)

Shrewd
12-07-2016, 11:20
Gah, phone typo, what patagucchi calls their midweoght is going to be my cold weather camp shirt

Turk6177
12-07-2016, 13:27
List looks pretty good to me. I would bring one more platypus dirty water bag for a couple of reasons: 1. If you hit some dry areas, you may end up needing to carry more water than what you currently have capacity for, and 2. When you get to camp, the water is not always close to the shelter. It is sometimes very far down a steep hill. You may only want to walk that once and carry 4 liters back with you for camp.

Others may disagree with me, but I notice you didn't have any camp shoes listed (or I missed it). Many think they are not useful, but I have hiked both with them and without them. For the minimal weight they add, I find them useful. If your feet are soaked, you can wear them with dry socks and help your feet recover. Also, it is nice to wear them after hiking in your shoes all day to let the feet breathe and decompress. I have some knock off crocs I got at Mountain Crossings called Waldies. You can always pick a pair up later if you find you would like to use them.

coyote9
12-07-2016, 15:32
List looks pretty good to me. I would bring one more platypus dirty water bag for a couple of reasons: 1. If you hit some dry areas, you may end up needing to carry more water than what you currently have capacity for, and 2. When you get to camp, the water is not always close to the shelter. It is sometimes very far down a steep hill. You may only want to walk that once and carry 4 liters back with you for camp.

Others may disagree with me, but I notice you didn't have any camp shoes listed (or I missed it). Many think they are not useful, but I have hiked both with them and without them. For the minimal weight they add, I find them useful. If your feet are soaked, you can wear them with dry socks and help your feet recover. Also, it is nice to wear them after hiking in your shoes all day to let the feet breathe and decompress. I have some knock off crocs I got at Mountain Crossings called Waldies. You can always pick a pair up later if you find you would like to use them.

I agree with the camp shoes. Love em

As for the OP water system what I do is I have a 1L Evernew I for dirty and fill a SW bottle to drink, fill again to hike with. When I get to camp I take out a second Evernew 1L and fill that plus my bottle. Never need more water.

On a side note, I do like to carry a gatorade bottle for nighttime biz or for hot water if its crazy cold for my feet.

H I T C H
12-07-2016, 15:49
I didn't see mention of a compass, map or trowel.

Hitch

johnupton318
12-07-2016, 16:58
Compass and map are unnecessary weight on the AT.
A trowel makes life a lot easier, but a hole can be dug with rocks, sticks, or fingers.

johnupton318
12-07-2016, 17:02
I also agree with bringing camp shoes. As far as soap, I carriered none. Only a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer. Also, an extra platypus, as mentioned before, wouldn't hurt. You may find yourself wanting to fill plenty at camp. Also, I busted a few platypuses on my hike, so it's good to have a backup. Plus, they weigh less than an oz.

Shrewd
12-07-2016, 18:21
Thanks for the responses. I actually want camp shoes but figured I'd wait till it was warm enough to wear flip flops (or crocs...I'd heard there was a lighter knock off but had forgotten the name. Thanks man!)
i may carry both a Gatorade and a smart water bottle (for backflushing), and\or I'll bring the cheap 1L bag that comes with the sawyer.

no comps or map, just a guidebook and/or phone guthook app

Turk6177
12-07-2016, 21:52
Thanks for the responses. I actually want camp shoes but figured I'd wait till it was warm enough to wear flip flops (or crocs...I'd heard there was a lighter knock off but had forgotten the name. Thanks man!)
i may carry both a Gatorade and a smart water bottle (for backflushing), and\or I'll bring the cheap 1L bag that comes with the sawyer.

no comps or map, just a guidebook and/or phone guthook app

A smart water bottle sport too will
fit in a platy bag as well. I pack a top and just use my clean water bag as a squirted to back flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrewd
12-09-2016, 09:23
Now I'm wondering if my 20 degree quilts will be warm enough...maybe I should get a silk bag liner and/or and underquilt protector just in case..?

Gritty
12-09-2016, 11:35
"Now I'm wondering if my 20 degree quilts will be warm enough"
Do a search for "shug emery hammock" and watch some of his videos on hammock gear, might help. (I sleep on the ground)

Turk6177
12-09-2016, 22:11
Now I'm wondering if my 20 degree quilts will be warm enough...maybe I should get a silk bag liner and/or and underquilt protector just in case..?

I use a sea to summit cotton silk liner. It probably adds a little warmth, but I primarily use it to keep my bag clean. I have never been cold in my 20 degree bag, but have probably only been as cold as the high 20's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk