PDA

View Full Version : Hiking In Maine

KyHiker1971
12-08-2016, 21:21
This August the Appalachian Trail Conference is being hosted in Waterville, Maine. Although I live many, many hours away here in KY, I am planning on attending. I have already set time off from work and saving money for this awesome trip.

This will be a first for me-hiking in New England. I have seen plenty of YouTube videos and trail descriptions. My hiking has been 90% southern Appalachians. So, should be brand new geography and terrain. What can I expect? I have seen plenty of YouTube vids and trail descriptions. The first thing that jumps out at me is the rockiness of the terrain. For instance, the trails going to Mt Katahdin look to be almost exclusively hand over hand boulder scrambling. But the views from Katahdin and the other 4,000 and up mountains looks to be almost something that one would see out west. They look just fantastic.

Also, this will be the first time I've attended an ATC conference. A friend of mine went to the 2015 in VA, and had a blast. Seven days of hiking, or seminars/classes. Has anyone ever attended a conference? One of the hikes I really hope they include is Baxter. This will be a very rare chance for me to hike Katahdin, and I'm hoping that the ATC includes this in their itinerary. I'm not sure this will happen, as Baxter looks to be a long trek from Waterville, ME.

egilbe
12-08-2016, 21:44
most of New England is rockier than the Southern appalachians. We had these glaciers we are still recovering from. Valleys are steeper and the climbs are longer. Although the Southern Appalachians are taller, the climbs, for the most part are gentler.

if you want to hike anywher in BSP, plan on reserving campsites and spend a few days there. Campsites are limited.

rafe
12-08-2016, 22:33
Maine is the most difficult and also the most scenic state on the AT. In my humble opinion. Very few flat or easy stretches. Highlights:

Mahoosuc Notch, a couple days north of Gorham.

Bigelow Mtn., Avery Peak, awesome views over Flagstaff Lake. Awesome ridgeline walk.

Kennebec River. For most of us (and officially) that is crossed via canoe.

Lots of beautiful lakes, ponds, rivers and fords. Most of the summits have views, and they are grand.

Katahdin.

I could go on but then they wouldn't be "highlights" any more. No bad hiking in Maine.

rafe
12-08-2016, 22:39
You'll be lucky to climb Katahdin in a day trip. Best to reserve a shelter for a night or two so you can do that. Go to BSP's web site. People start making reservations in January. BSP is liimited-access.

If you simply "show up" you will probably get into the park, but you will have to make the round trip from trailhead to summit and back as a day hike, and be out of the park by evening. That turns out to be a tall order.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2016, 22:54
Waterville, eh? That's a good hour or more from any AT access point in Maine. If they are running day hikes out of there, shuttle time will seriously cut into the day.

But there is fairly direct access to the north and south ends of the Bigello's. Try going up to Avery peak via the Fire warden's trail. The highlight is the steep, 1/2 mile long rock staircase.

If your coming all this way, you should arrange for some time after the seminar to do a section. The section from Grafton Notch (Rt26) to Rangely (RT17) is a really nice one, but is a good work out, as is most of Maine.

Pressure D
12-08-2016, 23:03
The southern part of Maine is extremely rugged! The hundred mile wilderness is actually pretty easy. Enjoy and have a great trip!

peakbagger
12-08-2016, 23:20
I doubt MATC will be setting up a Katahdin hike. The park makes it difficult for group use. If you want to go to the park read up on the day use parking pass or making reservations at the park. I day hike Katahdin every year or so and someday's I day hike via different routes a couple of days in a row. If you are in good hiking shape you can do it as a long day hike. There are commercial campgrounds outside the park but you need a day use parking reservation if you want to climb Katahdin. A major hint is that there isn't just Mt Katahdin in the Park, check out the Traveler Loop and be prepared to get blown away with far less crowds. There are some easy sections of the AT in Maine but they are bookended by some real hilly sections. Long Falls dam road to Caratunk and the section of the 100 mile wilderness north of White Cap are both relatively flat with some incredible remote ponds and lakes.

While you are in Maine you do need to visit Acadia despite the crowds.

By the Way, I read that this is the last truly national ATC conference, after this one they will go with regional events.

KyHiker1971
12-08-2016, 23:40
I doubt MATC will be setting up a Katahdin hike. The park makes it difficult for group use. If you want to go to the park read up on the day use parking pass or making reservations at the park. I day hike Katahdin every year or so and someday's I day hike via different routes a couple of days in a row. If you are in good hiking shape you can do it as a long day hike. There are commercial campgrounds outside the park but you need a day use parking reservation if you want to climb Katahdin. A major hint is that there isn't just Mt Katahdin in the Park, check out the Traveler Loop and be prepared to get blown away with far less crowds. There are some easy sections of the AT in Maine but they are bookended by some real hilly sections. Long Falls dam road to Caratunk and the section of the 100 mile wilderness north of White Cap are both relatively flat with some incredible remote ponds and lakes.

While you are in Maine you do need to visit Acadia despite the crowds.

By the Way, I read that this is the last truly national ATC conference, after this one they will go with regional events.

I think this is the last ATC conference, or so I've heard from the grapevine.

I figured that Katahdin would be a longshot to end up on the schedule-too much of being a logistical headache. So, I've considered taking a day or so out of the ATC time to venture up that way.

I am hoping, however, that Mount Bigelow will be an offered hike.

Rain Man
12-09-2016, 01:17
What can you expect? To cut your average daily mileage by half or more. Happy to share photos and speak with you about my recent section hikes there if you'd like.

Engine
12-09-2016, 05:44
I've never hiked in Maine, but some of the elevation profiles look tough!

peakbagger
12-09-2016, 07:51
Yup. the profile are steeper and the trail can be far rockier. For folks familiar with Dragons tooth in VA, there are many trail sections that are quite similar. On the other hand once you get the climb or the descent out of the way there are some sections with miles of mostly level walking through mature softwood and hardwood stands. Dont let it scare you away just plan accordingly.

An ATC conference is a large event and realistically a college is a good match for a non profit event. Its relatively centrally located in Maine. I have day hiked many sections of trail in Maine, the drive to and from the mountain is part of the fun.

Doc
12-09-2016, 07:59
Although I'm not on the committee planning hikes I am sure that there will be plenty of hikes with varying conditions. There is a great trail less than two miles from Colby for family hikes and the Kennebec Highlands have great trails with only a half hour drive required. I suspect that there will be many AT hikes as well although they require a very early start in the day. The conference should allow for lots of hikes and other adventures, showing visitors why we are so fortunate to live in this area. Again, I'm not sure of what is planned but day trips to the great bike riding in Acadia are easy as well as trips to the foodie capital of the northeast in Portland or the great shopping in Freeport home to L.L.Bean are possible. Some of us will be building a privy on the campus (with the lid screwed down) so be sure and stop to say hi to us.

KyHiker1971
12-09-2016, 15:42
Although I'm not on the committee planning hikes I am sure that there will be plenty of hikes with varying conditions. There is a great trail less than two miles from Colby for family hikes and the Kennebec Highlands have great trails with only a half hour drive required. I suspect that there will be many AT hikes as well although they require a very early start in the day. The conference should allow for lots of hikes and other adventures, showing visitors why we are so fortunate to live in this area. Again, I'm not sure of what is planned but day trips to the great bike riding in Acadia are easy as well as trips to the foodie capital of the northeast in Portland or the great shopping in Freeport home to L.L.Bean are possible. Some of us will be building a privy on the campus (with the lid screwed down) so be sure and stop to say hi to us. Sure will! I am really excited to be attending the ATC in Maine. Any idea when the hike schedule will be announced?

RockDoc
12-09-2016, 20:36
It is very tough, but it is also extremely good hiking. Get some experience before you go to Maine. The toughness is no reason to avoid it. You can do it.

YoungBloodOnTrail
12-09-2016, 20:47
I grew up in Virginia myself and found it to be a completely different world up there. The climbs get steeper, and rather than just a steeper incline its because a lot of the times you'll be climbing up/down/over boulders but the views are spectacular. Like said above it's like something you would see out west, but definitely has its individuality as well. Be prepared for roots in the low elevation areas. Katahdin is difficult forsure but so worth it, it's an epic hike.
Someone mentioned the view of Flagstaff Lake from Avery Peak.. that was my favorite view of the whole trail

egilbe
12-10-2016, 06:17
I grew up in Virginia myself and found it to be a completely different world up there. The climbs get steeper, and rather than just a steeper incline its because a lot of the times you'll be climbing up/down/over boulders but the views are spectacular. Like said above it's like something you would see out west, but definitely has its individuality as well. Be prepared for roots in the low elevation areas. Katahdin is difficult forsure but so worth it, it's an epic hike.
Someone mentioned the view of Flagstaff Lake from Avery Peak.. that was my favorite view of the whole trail

Flagstaff Lake pic from Avery is my background pic for my phone. Just some light wispy clouds in an otherwise blue sky.

peakbagger
12-10-2016, 08:23
Hard to go wrong with the mountains on or along the AT from Rangeley to Long Falls dam road. Its worth booking a couple of days for in this area for a dayhike up Abraham and a dayhike up Bigelow. Both have great above treeline views and some classic steep sections plus zero development.

Heliotrope
12-10-2016, 18:12
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161210/05c44072f45ca7c66ebcf18f1d470ddc.jpg http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161210/fcadfa1aab7a790747c58d75aa94e7a1.jpg

The "trail" on Katahdin in contrast with a section ~ 15 mi. south of Monson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoSpirits
12-10-2016, 20:33
I remember that spot on Katahdin; I was intimidated completely and already exhausted -- but the view was worth it!

George
12-11-2016, 00:09
You'll be lucky to climb Katahdin in a day trip. Best to reserve a shelter for a night or two so you can do that. Go to BSP's web site. People start making reservations in January. BSP is liimited-access.

If you simply "show up" you will probably get into the park, but you will have to make the round trip from trailhead to summit and back as a day hike, and be out of the park by evening. That turns out to be a tall order.

lots of people do this daily in the summer - check the weather, get to the gate a half hour before opening time - not that big of a deal

rafe
12-11-2016, 01:06
lots of people do this daily in the summer - check the weather, get to the gate a half hour before opening time - not that big of a deal

I said, "tall order," meaning just that. Doable, if you show up early, are prepared, and up to the physical challenge. It's a lot of vertical, with a lot more restrictions vis-a-vis hours and access.

peakbagger
12-11-2016, 08:18

If you are planning a trip around this advice, good luck.

First thing is the distance from Waterville. Plan on 2 hours to Medway (exit off I 95) then 1 hour to the gate. The BSP gate used to be open early but in the last few years 7 AM seems to be the norm. Using the prior posters advice, that means being at the gate at 6:30 AM meaning leave Waterville at 3:30 AM. This doesn't get you in the gate it just gets you to the gate. If there isn't a line, (there normally is) add in 45 minutes to get from the gate to the parking lots plus time spent at the gate.

Weekends in August and September are quite busy. The park limits access to the three trailheads that have trails to the summit using a day use parking reservation (DUPR) for a specific parking lot. These are made in advance by phone or on the web. They typically sell out for weekends. DUPR folks go the head of the line at the gate and those who don't have DUPRs have to take their chances that all the DUPRs haven't been sold, if its during the weekdays you might get lucky and they will sell you one of the remaining DUPRs. If the are out of DUPRs you can wait and hope there is no show or you can drive in the park and go hike another summit. There is no option of just parking alongside the road outside the parking lots. The park actually has a "boot" and will have cars towed. There are some other really nice hikes in the park that are worth doing but I expect most folks want to climb Katahdin. Optimistically without a DUPR plan on 1 to 1.5 hours to get through the gate and to the trailhead parking.

If you want to hike the AT, things get bit trickier. In order of popularity Roaring Brook on the east side of the mountain is the most popular, the second most popular is Katahdin Stream Campground (KSC)and the least popular is Abol (its still fills up on weekends). Drive in folks will try to get Roaring Rook and when its inevitably full, they switch to KSC, and then finally Abol. The AT (Hunt Trail) starts at KSC, you can go up Abol and down the AT back to KSC but it adds in a very dusty 2 mile walk along the main park road which is quite narrow and fairly busy.

Optimistically you will be on the trail at 8 AM. How long it takes you to get to the summit is very dependent on your conditioning and comfort with boulder scrambling. Using the AT you have 4.2 miles to climb 4200 feet. The majority of the elevation change is about 3200 feet in less than 3 miles. Thru hikers zip up and down in less than 7 hours but they have had plenty of practice, typical dayhikers should plan on 8 to 10 hours. Optimistically without a DUPR, you started at 8:30 AM from the trailhead. That gets someone down off the mountain at 4:30 PM at the earliest but more likely 5:30 to 6:30 PM. Now add in another 3 hours drive back to Waterville. Odds are you will end up in ditch on the side of the road as you will be exhausted.

Other things to factor in. Although the weather pattern stabilizes in the summer, figure one day out of three is going to be bad enough weather to make a trip up the mountain not very pleasant with minimal views. Even on a good day, the summit typically clouds in between noon and 1 PM. Odds are someone getting a late start due to not having a DUPR will get to watch the summit cloud in. The other issue during hot summer weather is the potential for summer thunderstorms which usually form after 1 PM.

Obviously someone who isn't in the mood to plan is stacking the deck against a successful hike up Katahdin. The much better option is book a site at the park for at least one night preferably 2. Ideally you drive up the day before and hike the next morning. If the weather forecast is marginal for the next day you can drive up early in the AM and hike it that day. Your reservation acts as a DUPR for the campground you reserved. Ideally you get going up the mountain early in the AM preferably near sunrise. This should get you up on the summit around 11 AM before the biggest crowds and usually before the afternoon clouds form.

egilbe
12-11-2016, 08:23

Worst advice ever.

for someone not in through hiker shape, plan on 10 to 14 hours, up and back. Unless you like descending rock scrambles in the dark, you will need to start hiking before 7am.

rafe
12-11-2016, 08:41
Thanks for the backup, peakbagger.

My friend and I learned some of this the hard way. We were at Acadia NP the day before. At sunset from the top of Cadillac Mountain, we wondered if we could see Katahdin off in the distance, decided to drive to Baxter and climb it the next day. Total impulse move. We drove all night (blew out my Toyota's head gasket in the process.) Got to the park mid-morning, and actually got in. We were young, and decent hikers by then. Ranger at the main gate politely discouraged us from trying to hike K, cited the various gotchas, suggested an alternate hike. We had a good look at the trail maps, the time, and our mental state, and did a nice hike of South Turner instead.

Climbed Katahdin via Chimney Pond and Knife Edge the next summer, and the one after that, after going the official route. Snail mail, with a check, in January for a shelter reservation in July. (Or something outrageous like that.) It was worth it.

jeffmeh
12-11-2016, 08:48
If you have the time, it is definitely worth it to stay in Baxter State Park for a few days, not only to give you an option to pick a nice day to summit Katahdin as peakbagger mentioned, but also because it is absolutely glorious. Not to mention the luxury of sleeping in the park after summit day rather than driving the inevitable 4 hours or more.

My wife and I had the "pleasure" of driving back to the Boston area after summitting, along with our son and 3 others who had just finished their NOBOs, and all of their odoriferous gear. The fragrance at least kept the driver awake. ;)

peakbagger
12-11-2016, 12:40
I have been driving to Baxter for at least 30 years and first set foot in it in 1969. Things have changed a bit over the years. Not so much in the actual park but the reservation system has changed significantly for the good. Baxter has a reputation with some folks in New England as being difficult to deal with. It is, compared to most of the other popular areas in the region as contrary to its name Baxter State Park is one in name only, rather it is Wilderness Preserve managed to be forever wild. It also is the only area with gates and entry fees to access the area. There used to be a burdensome mail in reservation system for campsites very clunky and odds of getting what you wanted was poor. The popular three Katahdin trailheads were gated off when full each day so the only option for dayhikers was parking in line very early in the AM to get one of the spaces or miss out on hiking Katahdin. Many folks pulled in around 4 AM and slept in their cars. The park realized they had a problem and put the Day Use Parking Reservation in place. That meant you needed to plan ahead but could usually reserve a parking space to day hike the summit at the parking lot you wanted. The park also put the reservation system on line and put in a rolling reservation system that makes it far more likely you will get your first or second choice. They also scaled back on abuse by "locals" who would block out entire campgrounds during popular weeks and weekends during "opening day" in January. Opening day still remains but there are limits on how many sites can be filled in (20%). This frees up more spaces for those who don't particularly want to drive to Millinocket in January. As an example I had a hankering to go climb the recently relocated Abol trail (a very nice piece of trailbuilding), I booked a lean to for Abol Campsite Friday night of Labor Day weekend and could have had a tent site there the rest of the holiday weekend. I did it directly off the BSP website about 3 weeks before. In the past the odds would be slim to none. We elected to do an out and back but we could just as well hiked up to KSC and done the Hunt Trail (AT) up and back down Abol trail.

I have done several quick overnights to the park where I drove up the night before from NH (4.5 hours) stay in the park at a reserved campsite and dayhiked the mountain the next day then drove home. I survived it every time but it was definitely a challenge to stay awake when driving home.

The campgrounds and facilities in the park are quite primitive, no electricity, no cell coverage or payphones, all drinking water is at your own risk (no public water supplies), no showers, no stores and pit toilets. If someone wants a bit more luxury there are campgrounds out side the park with varying levels of additional services. The trade off is they are more expensive and you have to put up with the DUPR system.

In addition to the campgrounds the park has remote leantos that are located miles away from any other site. They are usually in very special locations, one of them has an entire basin on the side of the mountain complete with 5 alpine ponds and 1000 foot plus cliffs for about 320 degrees around the site. Another one is on a remote island in the middle of an entirely undeveloped lake, your reservation comes with a key to a canoe to paddle out to the island. These are not for dayhikers who just want to bag Katahdin but anywhere else, they wouldn't exist as they would be overrun. I sure wouldn't suggest trying for these spots to a newby but that's part of what makes it worth going to the park. Its definitely a place where it would take weeks to really appreciate all the special spots.

TJ aka Teej
12-11-2016, 18:10
This will be a first for me-hiking in New England.
I'd suggest blocking out some time to at least see Katahdin and Baxter for yourself. Maybe for a day or two before the Conference. It does required advance planning, but it's well worth it - especially after traveling from Kentucky!

KyHiker1971
06-16-2017, 19:20
Just updating this thread, I know it's been several months. I am registered for the ATC conference in Waterville, ME.
As I expected, there are no hikes at Baxter, no doubt due to the logistic difficulties.

I am, however, thrilled at the offerings, and very excited about the hikes I selected.
The following are what I have chosen to hike, if anyone has any insight, feel free to join in to give suggestions.
Saturday: AT from Caratunk to Moxie Pond Road Sunday: AT from Perham stream to Caribou Valley road. Monday: Bigelow Trail Range
Tuesday: Frye Mountain Wednesday: Tumbledown Mountain Thursday: Bigelow Mountain hike (Avery Peak, West Peak, North/south horns).

I've been hiking a bunch this year, and now trying to fit in some cardio/weights at the gym to trim down some more as I know that's six days of hiking in a different terrain. I've put myself through some challenging hikes, including a 19 miler from Eagle Creek Trail up to Spence Field and down Bote mountain in the Great Smokies. Also planning on doing a 14 mile day hike at Roan Mountain from Carvers Gap to US 19E.

Slo-go'en
06-16-2017, 21:22
All day hikes? Shuttled out of Waterville? All I can say is your going to be one very tired and sore puppy at the end of the week! The Bigelow traverse is the highlight of the hikes, be sure to save enough energy to do that one. Combined with shuttle time, every one of these hikes will be dawn to dusk.

KyHiker1971
06-16-2017, 23:07
All day hikes? Shuttled out of Waterville? All I can say is your going to be one very tired and sore puppy at the end of the week! The Bigelow traverse is the highlight of the hikes, be sure to save enough energy to do that one. Combined with shuttle time, every one of these hikes will be dawn to dusk.

All day hikes. I'm going to take it day by day. If I get to the point that I'm fatigued, I'll take a day off.

I definitely want to do Bigelow. And I think Tumbledown looks fun. The other hikes were section hikes of the AT ( except Fryes and Tumbledown).

All hikes shuttled from Waterville.

Very excited for this, I've always wanted to hike New England. Hoping for some great weather (event is Aug 4-11).

tdoczi
06-17-2017, 07:33
Just updating this thread, I know it's been several months. I am registered for the ATC conference in Waterville, ME.
As I expected, there are no hikes at Baxter, no doubt due to the logistic difficulties.

I am, however, thrilled at the offerings, and very excited about the hikes I selected.
The following are what I have chosen to hike, if anyone has any insight, feel free to join in to give suggestions.
Saturday: AT from Caratunk to Moxie Pond Road Sunday: AT from Perham stream to Caribou Valley road. Monday: Bigelow Trail Range
Tuesday: Frye Mountain Wednesday: Tumbledown Mountain Thursday: Bigelow Mountain hike (Avery Peak, West Peak, North/south horns).

I've been hiking a bunch this year, and now trying to fit in some cardio/weights at the gym to trim down some more as I know that's six days of hiking in a different terrain. I've put myself through some challenging hikes, including a 19 miler from Eagle Creek Trail up to Spence Field and down Bote mountain in the Great Smokies. Also planning on doing a 14 mile day hike at Roan Mountain from Carvers Gap to US 19E.

i'm confused, you're hiking the bigelows twice? or youre dividing it in two?

the whole thing can be done in one shot, though i might rearrange the schedule and do that first or second, not last.

KyHiker1971
06-17-2017, 09:15
i'm confused, you're hiking the bigelows twice? or youre dividing it in two?

the whole thing can be done in one shot, though i might rearrange the schedule and do that first or second, not last.

Dividing it into two.

tdoczi
06-17-2017, 10:28
Dividing it into two.

think about just doing it one day, really. i did it in about 20 hours, including sleeping the night at horn's pond, while carrying a pack with a tent and 4 days of supplies.

if you're out for dawn to dusk all out day hiking like it seems you are theres really no need to divide it. i think some of the other days you have planned would be harder.

LIhikers
06-17-2017, 20:07
My wife and I have attended ATC conferences several times and enjoyed each one.
Meals, hikes, classes, lectures, entertainment, what's not to like?
Enjoy yourself, and you might make some new friends too.

Slo-go'en
06-17-2017, 21:07
These are all organized group hikes right? If so, some thought must have gone into the planning.

I don't quite see how they break it up into two trips though. A loop can be done from the Horns to West peak via the Horn's pond trail and Old Fire wardens trail. Avery peak would be an optional side trip. I've done this loop a couple of times, but as an overnighter at Horn's pond shelter. It's a really cool place to spend the night. It will be a hard day as a day hike. But the views from up there are worth the effort.

The Bigelow Range trail comes up the ridge direct from Strattion (old AT?) and joins the AT about 2 miles south of Horns Pond. (and 700 feet below it). At that point you could come back down the AT to the road, or climb up to the pond and then down Horns pond trail. This loop will also be a serious work out.

DavidNH
06-18-2017, 10:18
those southerners don't really know mountains until they get to Northern New England. This is where thru hikers really earn their stripes!

egilbe
06-18-2017, 11:37
That Bigelow Mountain hike looks very ambitious, especially since they added North Horn to it. A Bigelow Traverse is 17 miles. Through hikers can do it, I would break it up into two days with a night at Horns Pond or Avery campsite.

KyHiker1971
06-20-2017, 20:02
those southerners don't really know mountains until they get to Northern New England. This is where thru hikers really earn their stripes!

Unfortunately for me, that's very true. I do most of my long hikes in Tennessee and North Carolina. Maybe higher elevations, but alot gentler going up. Also, and again unfortunate for me, there is no ideal way to simulate the type of hiking that I will encounter in Maine. I could hike off trail in the Smokies and climb some of the rocky sluices that go up Mount LeConte, but I'm not a big fan of going off the highway, so to speak. Instead, I'm hitting the gym more frequently and doing the elliptical and other stationary bikes with the elevation jacked all the way to the top. Lucky for me, I've developed a nasty case of bronchitis, so that puts me a good 1-2 weeks behind in conditioning.

KyHiker1971
06-20-2017, 20:04
My wife and I have attended ATC conferences several times and enjoyed each one.
Meals, hikes, classes, lectures, entertainment, what's not to like?
Enjoy yourself, and you might make some new friends too.

Really looking forward to this conference. It's really awesome that it's in an area of the country that I've longed to see.

KyHiker1971
06-20-2017, 20:13
These are all organized group hikes right? If so, some thought must have gone into the planning.

I don't quite see how they break it up into two trips though. A loop can be done from the Horns to West peak via the Horn's pond trail and Old Fire wardens trail. Avery peak would be an optional side trip. I've done this loop a couple of times, but as an overnighter at Horn's pond shelter. It's a really cool place to spend the night. It will be a hard day as a day hike. But the views from up there are worth the effort.

The Bigelow Range trail comes up the ridge direct from Strattion (old AT?) and joins the AT about 2 miles south of Horns Pond. (and 700 feet below it). At that point you could come back down the AT to the road, or climb up to the pond and then down Horns pond trail. This loop will also be a serious work out.

There are two different offerings as far as Bigelow. I'm going to read straight off the trail description.

1. AT/Bigelow Trail Range. Leave parking lot on ME 27 hiking north on AT. Take Bigelow Range Trail at 3.2 miles, ascend Cranberry Peak, with spectacular views of Carrabasset Valley, including the Bigelow Range. Ridge walk with views of Flagstaff Lake, then descend to trailhead on curry Road in Stratton. Pass Arnold's well and The Cave during descent. 8 miles hike

2. Bigelow Mountain hike. Ascend Firewarden's Trail to Bigelow Col. Hike North to Avery Peak and then back south to col and then to West Peak, North and South Horns and Horns pond campsite. Take Horns pond trail to lower Firewarden's trail and out to trailhead. 360 views into Canada, Katahdin to the NE. 14 miles.

egilbe
06-20-2017, 21:11
Option one is a hike I've thought about doing a few times. That would be a decent loop dayhike.

Option 2 is much more strenuous...and much longer...and a lot more elevation gain.

KyHiker1971
06-20-2017, 22:44
Option one is a hike I've thought about doing a few times. That would be a decent loop dayhike.

Option 2 is much more strenuous...and much longer...and a lot more elevation gain.

Yes, the second is rated among the toughest hikes offered. The first (Bigelow Range) is among the second tier.

I've considered just taking off the day before the Bigelow hike, perhaps attend a class/workshop etc. Instead, I had signed up for a 6.6 mile hike on Tumbledown Mountain.

Slo-go'en
06-20-2017, 22:55
There are two different offerings as far as Bigelow. I'm going to read straight off the trail description.

1. AT/Bigelow Trail Range. Leave parking lot on ME 27 hiking north on AT. Take Bigelow Range Trail at 3.2 miles, ascend Cranberry Peak, with spectacular views of Carrabasset Valley, including the Bigelow Range. Ridge walk with views of Flagstaff Lake, then descend to trailhead on curry Road in Stratton. Pass Arnold's well and The Cave during descent. 8 miles hike

2. Bigelow Mountain hike. Ascend Firewarden's Trail to Bigelow Col. Hike North to Avery Peak and then back south to col and then to West Peak, North and South Horns and Horns pond campsite. Take Horns pond trail to lower Firewarden's trail and out to trailhead. 360 views into Canada, Katahdin to the NE. 14 miles.

#1 shouldn't be *too* bad, but will be a work out for sure.

#2 is going to hurt. The Firewarden's trail has like a 1/2 miles steep rock stair case. I went down it. Not sure if that was easier then climbing up it. Doing much more then 1 MPH on this whole loop will be an effort. Having long legs for the giant steps is a plus.

KyHiker1971
06-20-2017, 23:14
#1 shouldn't be *too* bad, but will be a work out for sure.

#2 is going to hurt. The Firewarden's trail has like a 1/2 miles steep rock stair case. I went down it. Not sure if that was easier then climbing up it. Doing much more then 1 MPH on this whole loop will be an effort. Having long legs for the giant steps is a plus.

I've seen pics and videos of the views from Avery, West Peak and the Horns. Simply incredible. Worth trying to get in peak shape for and probably suffering through the very steep rock stairs. Fortunately, I do have long legs.

peakbagger
06-21-2017, 06:33
The firewardens trail is nothing compared to the Safford Brook Trail that heads east just after Avery Peak, its the AT route. The firewardens trail used to be far worse, the rocks were put in to make it easier. Both hikes are great but hard to beat Avery Peak and the "little knife edge" on the second day hike.

Do yourself a favor and get it good small cooler and stock it up with ice the night before. Not a lot of places to get a cold drink at the end of the hike. If you use a hydration system, fill it with ice before you head out either that or freeze a couple of gatoraide bottles.

KyHiker1971
06-23-2017, 22:18
Thanks all for the advice and information. Much appreciated! A couple of questions I had thought of.

I have plenty of tips on the hikes in the Bigelows. Does anyone have any info on the AT stretch from Perham Stream to Caribou Valley Road? Also, the AT stretch from Caratunk to Moxie Pond.

Second, in general, what kind of weather can I expect in Maine in early to mid August? In Kentucky, and in Tennessee, hiking in August can be brutal, as humidity and dew points are off the charts. As such, I'm usually on a hiking hiatus from late July to September.

Thanks guys for all your help.

egilbe
06-24-2017, 04:59
We hike all Summer long up here. It gets hot and muggy, but nothing like the South. Typical days are in the 80's. Nights can be 40's or 50's, but usually warmer.

The AT between Caratunk and Moxie Pond has one big up, Pleasant Pond Mountain. Plenty of water along the trail. Pretty flat. Mostly.

peakbagger
06-24-2017, 06:51
Perham Stream to Caribou Valley Road is a fairly mellow for Maine hike up out of valley to the ridge line followed by a remarkably well graded ridgeline hike ending with a steep downhill (much more like typical climbs of out valleys in maine). MATC had a 75th anniversary hike up over part of this stretch a few years ago. Its a real long car spot which can take a couple of hours out and back. If the gates are open, the road gets fairly close to the AT intersection and saves some elevation climbing out of the valley. Once you hit the ridgeline its fairly easy fast walking. Unfortunately the views aren't as great as you would expect as it runs through fairly dense spruce/fir. There are occasional views across blowdown patches across and into the Caribou Valley and over to the Crockers and Reddington. At some point you hit the brass plaque on a boulder that marks the point where the AT officially was completed. Once you hit the Sugarloaf spur, definitely climb Sugarloaf for the best views of the day (tempered with how badly the summit was trashed by the ski area). Once you get back on the AT, you cross the headwall of the Sugarloaf Cirque and from there its very steep down to the stream with a couple of nice views off of cliffs. The South Branch of the Carabassett can be quite difficult to cross during high water but in August should be nice place for dip and to wash off. The infamous plank is cabled to a tree so the water doesn't wash it down the stream. From there you hit the road and then depending on the condition of the bridges its a variable length walk down the road to the spot where most folks park. The major caveat on this hike is there is zero reliable water on this hike once you pass Spaulding Shelter until the south branch. This includes the summit of Sugarloaf which many folks assume has services, it doesn't and that includes no rest rooms. There can be intermittent streams on the spur trail from the summit but best not to rely on them as its drainage off the summit.

LoneStranger
06-24-2017, 10:43
Also, the AT stretch from Caratunk to Moxie Pond.

Just did that walk last Saturday and it was wet and slippery like everywhere else in ME right now :) Nice view, not great, but worth the effort, on top of Pleasant Pond Mtn. Fill your water as needed before hitting the actual climb past the pond as it is a few miles to the next source headed in that direction. I walked past a lot of water earlier in the day and kicked myself when I ran dry on my way down the hill :)

egilbe
06-24-2017, 20:36
There is a spring box on the trail to the summit of sugarloaf that had water in it last July in the middle of the drought. Its about .2 of a mile from the AT.