PDA

View Full Version : Intro

StillMoving
12-08-2016, 21:29
Figured it would be cool to say hello.

I'm 59yo and grew up hiking, camping, riding dirt bikes, riding bicycles, playing hockey and baseball.

As far as hiking goes, longest I've done is a 3-weeker and was resupplied once each week by family. I've done quite a few 1-weekers...mostly solo. I'm no where near the expert hiker that it appears many of you folks are. I just was determined, and got it done with what I've had. As a teenager I was known for hitting the woods with my showshoes and doing a 3-4 day hike/camp/hunt.

All my activities caught up with me about 2 yrs ago, and I had to quit playing hockey and baseball (local MSBL) and in the spring of this year I had hip replacement surgery. Yes, you can wear these bodies out.

It was kinda weird as the on last day of my last backpack trip friends picked me up...and all my gear was stolen from their truck. Sad way to finish.

Which brings me to why I'm here. Doc told me in the spring when the bones stop growing around the appliance I should be good to hike something like the AT. I can hike as much as I want now, but he said something like that...it may be a good idea to wait. I gotta admit though - not sure if I can make it the entire way...but I'm up for trying. I won't be playing anymore hockey and baseball, but I still ride my bicycle and dirt bike.

Biggest concern for me is logistics. I'll plan on not having family or friends available to help.

I was wondering about this also and was able to find some info today: I am basically a loner, and it seems the AT may be a bit more social than I'm looking for.

Anyway...I may ask some questions about the newer gear, and logistics...and I've been reading here a while and probably most of my questions can be answered by searching.

Thanks, and see ya around.

KyHiker1971
12-08-2016, 21:36
Welcome! I'm a new guy myself. 45 yrs old and love to hike the Cumberland Plateau of KY/TN, Cumberland Gap and GSMNP.

Hoping to get out west in the next couple of years once I satisfy my "itch" to explore New England.

StillMoving
12-08-2016, 21:43
Thanks KyH and hope you make it to NE.

Engine
12-09-2016, 05:21
...I was wondering about this also and was able to find some info today: I am basically a loner, and it seems the AT may be a bit more social than I'm looking for.

Welcome! In regard to your desire to experience less of a crowd, the answer is really quite easy. Wait until late June and go southbound. Only about 10% of the total thru-hikers go that direction so while there are still people around, which can be nice, they are far fewer in number. The trade off is you lose out on some of the very cool aspects of a "traditional" thru-hike. It is also usually thought of as physically harder to go southbound because you are hiking some VERY tough terrain in the first month and you need to be ready from day one, which starts with a big climb up Katahdin...

But, if solitude is your thing, that would be the better choice. In either event, hope to see you on the trail.

StillMoving
12-09-2016, 10:51
Hey thanks for that Engine...that's an idea.

Or maybe do a north bound in the fall, winter, spring.

Storm
12-09-2016, 20:13
Welcome to Whiteblaze.

I also hike alone and have found it fairly easy to avoid the crowds when I want a little solitude. Only place that is hard is in areas where you have to camp at designated campsites or at shelters. (Smokies).
Logistics of hiking on the A.T. are not all that difficult. I use AWOL's A.T. Guide and have never had a major problem. A few minor ones due to not paying attention but that is part of the adventure.

RockDoc
12-09-2016, 20:32
Good to hear from you. Don't worry about being a loner (ie introvert). There was a psychological evaluation of AT hikers some time ago and the majority came out to be introverts. Spending hours walking alone doesn't appeal much to extroverts...

My thoughts are "don't be outcome-based". Do it for what it's worth. It's the journey. You may not reach a terminus, but in the end that's not very important. The important thing is how you spend your time, and how it changes you... very likely for the better physically and mentally!

StillMoving
12-09-2016, 20:57
Thanks Doc.

After all these years being like I am, I don't worry too much about it. Reality is I'm rabidly independent and will go anywhere alone if there's no one else to go. While many times I like to go alone, that gets multiplied by my independence.

Many times I'd do 100mi bicycle rides alone of I couldn't get a buddy to go along. And most of my backpacking/hiking/etc. trips have been solo.

StillMoving
12-09-2016, 20:58
Bummer...lost on the cut and paste:

This a great philosophy...thanks:

"My thoughts are "don't be outcome-based". Do it for what it's worth. It's the journey. You may not reach a terminus, but in the end that's not very important. The important thing is how you spend your time, and how it changes you... very likely for the better physically and mentally!"