PDA

View Full Version : LL Bean Patagonia R1 knockoff: same material+cut, $80 shipped

Hosaphone
12-09-2016, 15:54
Hey guys, I just wanted to share something I'm excited about!

I had an LL Bean gift card and used it to purchase their Polartec Microgrid Fleece:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/84817

Compare to the venerable Patagonia R1 pullover:
http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-r1-fleece-pullover-mens

The LL Bean website says their fleece uses "Power Dry" fabric, but after receiving it I found that it actually is made of "Power Grid", same as the R1. The only discernible difference to me is that the the LL Bean fleece has thumb loops, which I am a fan of anyways. The Bean fleece comes in tall sizes, and of course comes with their amazing "satisfaction guarantee". Also, they are running a promotion where if you order before Christmas you get a $10 coupon on next purchase.

Might be worth checking out if you're in the market for something like this and don't want to wait for a Patagonia sale!

saltysack
12-09-2016, 16:43
Love my R1.....I'll gladly pay a little more to support Patagonia's environmental initiatives. I'm sure the LL is a great piece also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrabbler
12-09-2016, 17:10
At Patagonia's current rate of giving ($7m out of $570M revenue), your $130 R1 Patagonia is giving back $1.60 to the environment. I'd argue it's better to buy the LL Bean and donate $5 yourself, and still have $45 in your pocket. But hey, I'm strange like that.

Doc
12-09-2016, 18:56
Beans is indeed a major supporter of local as well as national environmental programs. MATC receives a great deal of support from Beans and their help is both financial as well as providing "boots on the ground" support for trail maintenance. They are indeed a model corporate citizen.

saltysack
12-09-2016, 19:18
At Patagonia's current rate of giving ($7m out of $570M revenue), your $130 R1 Patagonia is giving back $1.60 to the environment. I'd argue it's better to buy the LL Bean and donate $5 yourself, and still have $45 in your pocket. But hey, I'm strange like that.

I guess I should have disclaimed I was given gear from Patagonia for my SUP trip up the St.johns....so I'm bias. I've always liked the companies policies etc. I'm not knocking Bean I just don't have any personal experience with them. Cap4-R1 is my personal favorite cold weather layer.

egilbe
12-09-2016, 19:36
And Bean's has it in tall sizes! W00t!

Cheyou
12-09-2016, 21:41
I guess I should have disclaimed I was given gear from Patagonia for my SUP trip up the St.johns....so I'm bias. I've always liked the companies policies etc. I'm not knocking Bean I just don't have any personal experience with them. Cap4-R1 is my personal favorite cold weather layer.

I see Patagucci fan boy issue ;0)