PDA

View Full Version : Good thing I'm testing out equipment

skinnbones
12-10-2016, 11:31
I have worn my new pair of Merrell boots 2 straight weeks on a job that requires "safety" boots. I love these boots except they hurt my right big toe. I'm just going to do my thru hike in ordinary running shoes. Another 100 + dollars wasted. Other testing that have had somewhat positive results; tent (test in rain next), sleeping bag (zipper snags a little), and MSR pocket rocket (really love this). Will be testing out my PCT style food hanging skills soon and still need to try my mini sawyer. What is so disappointing is struggling to raise funds for hike and making bad purchases. I did research and Merrell is a good boot. How would I know until I wore them that they would hurt a toe. They will be fine for short day hikes, but not a thru hike. Oh well, live and learn.

MuddyWaters
12-10-2016, 11:40
Safety shoes means steel toes basically, although there are composite.

Checking out footwear well beforehand is smart. I seen people with horrible feet before even got out GA. Having to get off trail at hiawasee and rest them, etc.

saltysack
12-10-2016, 11:52
Buy from REI? Return.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireplug
12-10-2016, 12:34
You will go thru 4 to 6 pair of shoes on the trail

Slo-go'en
12-10-2016, 12:34
My feet are almost a full size different. That means I never find a pair of boots which fit both feet properly and have to compromise.

Venchka
12-10-2016, 12:48
Buy from REI? Return.....

Amen Brother! I bought shoes from REI last February. I finally got around to using them for a backpacking trip in September. When I get home I noticed a slightly darkened nail on two toes. I boxed up the shoes and exchanged them for a new pair a half size larger.
REI or LL Bean are my vendors of choice for anything that must fit or last in real world situations.
Wayne

johnnybgood
12-10-2016, 12:53
Order through REI Garage www.rei.com/rei-garage (http://www.rei.com/rei-garage) . They have a fairly liberal return policy.

rafe
12-10-2016, 13:32
My 22 year old Lange ski boots (bought at an REI "garage sale") are feeling a bit gnarly. I wonder if I should return them?

j/k. I know for a fact that the return policy at my local REI is not unconditional.

Shoes and boots are tough. That's why you need to be super fussy about trying them on, and breaking them in. Don't expect much lifetime from modern fabric boots, though. You'll most likely wear out a few pair getting from Georgia to Maine.

Hosh
12-10-2016, 13:54
My 22 year old Lange ski boots (bought at an REI "garage sale") are feeling a bit gnarly. I wonder if I should return them?

j/k. I know for a fact that the return policy at my local REI is not unconditional.

Shoes and boots are tough. That's why you need to be super fussy about trying them on, and breaking them in. Don't expect much lifetime from modern fabric boots, though. You'll most likely wear out a few pair getting from Georgia to Maine.

Yeah the garage sales out here are mostly made up of shoes and boots. Some look like they have done the AT twice and the tag says "don't fit". REI has very high margins that allow them to offer a pretty liberal return/customer sat policy. Because of that, it's a good store to buy footwear.

johnnybgood
12-10-2016, 14:11

REI Garage Sale is the name of their online shopping site not their occasional "garage sale " events of used gear.
All items are new and share the same return policy as a mortar & brick purchase.

Venchka
12-10-2016, 14:30
You will go thru 4 to 6 pair of shoes on the trail

What does that have to do with making sure that you have the correct shoes before starting?
Wayne

saltysack
12-10-2016, 14:31
What does that have to do with making sure that you have the correct shoes before starting?
Wayne

Assume he was referring to $$$....as op said it's tight..

Patrickjd9
12-10-2016, 14:33

I've carried my last couple of pairs of boots into my office and put them on once I was inside. That way I can wear them all day and return them as new if they don't fit.

Actually, modern all-leather boots won't last a full thru-hike either. I'm hard on shoes, but my last pair of Vasques aren't going to get through a third hiking season--at roughly 250 miles a year.

Heliotrope
12-10-2016, 17:23
"I did research and Merrill is a good boot"

Whenever I hear a statement like this I think too much faith is placed in brand name recognition. I think footwear is especially tricky in this regard. Forget the brand and look for what works for you. A good return policy can really help. And sometimes you lose a few bucks in the process It sucks losing money on gear you expect to be perfect . But even worse to have that gear suck on the trail.

So yes. A very good thing you are testing out equipment ;)

saltysack
12-10-2016, 17:29
I've carried my last couple of pairs of boots into my office and put them on once I was inside. That way I can wear them all day and return them as new if they don't fit.

Actually, modern all-leather boots won't last a full thru-hike either. I'm hard on shoes, but my last pair of Vasques aren't going to get through a third hiking season--at roughly 250 miles a year.

Last pair I wore for about 180 miles in Co then returned...I'm glad someone is considerate....I agree with you...don't abuse the policy....mine failed after less than 20 miles in on a trip....

One Half
12-10-2016, 18:16
yep REI has one of the best return policies. LL Bean, not quite as good as it used to be IMO

Engine
12-10-2016, 18:28
I don't know if this works for everyone, but I buy my hiking shoes 1/2 size larger than my daily wear or even my running shoes. Since I started doing that I don't get nearly as many destroyed toenails.

saltysack
12-10-2016, 19:29
I don't know if this works for everyone, but I buy my hiking shoes 1/2 size larger than my daily wear or even my running shoes. Since I started doing that I don't get nearly as many destroyed toenails.

+1...I go a whole size larger

gbolt
12-10-2016, 20:11
If they are fine for a day hike... You may want to watch You Tube video's are variations for Lacing the boots. It could be a problem with one foot being slightly larger and "sliding" forward into the toe box. Lacing may stop this slide by locking the foot to the boot and heel. I love Merrills but Lace each boot differently because I get a great fit with one foot but the other is slightly bigger. When I bought Salamon Trail Runners, I would get one or the other to be a better fit; but never both at the same time. I ended up fitting the larger one and pulling tighter on the Cinch Lacing because they can't be changed like the Merrills can. Don't give up just yet, work with the Lacing.

moldy
12-10-2016, 20:46
Here is a trick that might help you in the future when your hiking boots/shoes rub or press on the outside edge of your big toe or on the outside edge of you little toe. Remove the laces. Now re-lace them and leave out that bottom X or bottom cross-over and just run the lace around the bottom so it removes some of the pressure on the outside edge of your feet. This does not work for everyone but it frequently does work, give it a try.

H I T C H
12-11-2016, 12:55
I am curious where the OP purchased the shoes. There still might be a return/exchange option.

Hitch

skinnbones
12-11-2016, 16:09
Here is a trick that might help you in the future when your hiking boots/shoes rub or press on the outside edge of your big toe or on the outside edge of you little toe. Remove the laces. Now re-lace them and leave out that bottom X or bottom cross-over and just run the lace around the bottom so it removes some of the pressure on the outside edge of your feet. This does not work for everyone but it frequently does work, give it a try. I have taken your advice. Thanks.

MtDoraDave
12-11-2016, 16:51
Yep... brand name stuff, well rated stuff: worthless in deciding what works for YOUR feet.

I went to an outfitter near Tampa and told the employee I didn't want to see prices, but wanted to try on several pair of boots that have wide toe boxes. Not wide feet.

I tried on several pair, and walked around the store for a while with a pack on, full of whatever they stuffed in it for me, and rejected a lot of boots. They have a 30 day return policy if you don't wear them outside. I wore them in my house for over an hour with my pack loaded heavy, and my little toe started rubbing. I took them back, and the ones I decided on based on FIT and FIT ALONE were the Keen Targhee 2 mid. 500 miles, and my first blister was last month because a sock was twisted.

Fit is everything. Price and brand name is secondary.

MtDoraDave
12-11-2016, 16:54
...and I think zippers snag on every sleeping bag ever made. I think it's a technique issue... it's not like zipping up a pair of jeans, you have to go slowly and sort of keep a finger in front of the zipper to keep things lined up and fabric out of the way.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2016, 19:07
...and I think zippers snag on every sleeping bag ever made. I think it's a technique issue... it's not like zipping up a pair of jeans, you have to go slowly and sort of keep a finger in front of the zipper to keep things lined up and fabric out of the way.

Some bags are definitly bad at this. I have a Mountain Hardware synthetic that is .....almost useless....due to tendency to do this. In a heartbeat you could get yourself stuck in it. Which, btw, is why you never ever want a mummy bag without two way zippers.

Western mountaineering on the other hand, has stiffeners laminated to the fabric adjacent to zipper to prevent snagging. Its a pleasure to use.

Venchka
12-11-2016, 19:22

Have you ever slept in and used the zipper of a Western Mountaineering bag? Both of mine have been snag free.
Wayne

Venchka
12-11-2016, 19:27
MuddyWaters,
Thanks. I replied to quickly before reading your post regarding Western Mountaineering bags.
The other nice thing about the zippers: The bags are so comfy and warm that it must be seriously cold before I need to use the zipper.
Wayne

MtDoraDave
12-11-2016, 20:43
Clearly, I have not. My bad... you know what they about when people assume things? lol

But the technique one operates a zipper in a snag-prone bag makes a huge difference.

Venchka
12-11-2016, 20:54
Clearly, I have not. My bad... you know what they about when people assume things? lol

But the technique one operates a zipper in a snag-prone bag makes a huge difference.

Aye. Been there. Done that. It takes a bit of practice before all is well.
Wayne

saltysack
12-11-2016, 21:21
Try a quilt no zipper needed.....my Marmot helium had same issues...drove me nuts!

Dogwood
12-11-2016, 23:15
I have worn my new pair of Merrell boots 2 straight weeks on a job that requires "safety" boots. I love these boots except they hurt my right big toe. I'm just going to do my thru hike in ordinary running shoes. Another 100 + dollars wasted. Other testing that have had somewhat positive results; tent (test in rain next), sleeping bag (zipper snags a little), and MSR pocket rocket (really love this). Will be testing out my PCT style food hanging skills soon and still need to try my mini sawyer. What is so disappointing is struggling to raise funds for hike and making bad purchases. I did research and Merrell is a good boot. How would I know until I wore them that they would hurt a toe. They will be fine for short day hikes, but not a thru hike. Oh well, live and learn.

This is what I like to hear. pre hike gear shakedowns ironing out issues before heading to the trailhead.

do get the shoes dialed in perhaps with extra wiggle room for expanding toesies the longer you're on your feet. Good chance that you'd have had greater foot swelling footwear fit issues with 12+ hrs a day on your feet and wearing a loaded pack backpacking on different signs track. FWIW, you might consider it not $100 wasted but part of the input to evolve. :) You might question the idea we get everything absolutely perfect all the time. Don't discount your development.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas Ediso

Good luck in your prep Skinny...lol...if I may call you that?:)

2EZ
12-11-2016, 23:27
Totally agree with Dogwood- it's not a wasted experiment now... On the trail with pain moving forward is bad. Getting your personal comfort dialed in ahead of time is priceless.

Dogwood
12-12-2016, 00:04

This ^

Here is a trick that might help you in the future when your hiking boots/shoes rub or press on the outside edge of your big toe or on the outside edge of you little toe. Remove the laces. Now re-lace them and leave out that bottom X or bottom cross-over and just run the lace around the bottom so it removes some of the pressure on the outside edge of your feet. This does not work for everyone but it frequently does work, give it a try.

This^ Or leave the top eyelet on each side closest to the toe unlaced lace starting at the second eyelet.

And: 1) try on and buy hiking shoes later in the day after working/being on your feet all day. Feet are bigger later in the day than in the morning right after getting out of bed.

2) try hiking footwear on wearing your clean thickest hiking socks

3) in store give shoes a good workout. It's your do re mi. Validate your purchase and hard spent dollars. walk, run, walk up and down inline ramp if they have one. note fit ascending and descending, stand on your toes, note how the heel locks or if it doesn't, roll the shoe standing on the shoe's edge;note how it fits and stays put or if it doesn't or if anything rubs anywhere. Is anything with the shoe shifting, separating, ripping or delaminating as you do this? If it does the trail will be tougher! You might pass. TIP: Do all these things FOR EACH SHOE as sometimes the left and right foot can be slightly different in various traits. For example, since I'm right side dominant(right handed) my right side including my right foot gets worked more so is 1/2 size longer in length than my left foot. It's not always immediately perceptible to us that we aren't as symmetrically developed as we might think. It's common. ALWAYS measure BOTH feet for length and width! If one foot is longer/wider than the other that's the shoe size you work up from! TIP: if your shoe sales person doesn't automatically measure both feet perhaps it better to find another place to patronize to buy hiking shoes? TIP: NOTE the shoes as one shoe in a pr may not be exactly matched to the other. Construction can vary slightly between left and right shoe. I've become increasing more aware of this. It might be the interior of one shoe has some misplaced/excessive adhesive, stitching, misshapen toe cap/toe bumper, or other minor discrepancy that the other shoe does not but can become problematic with increased wear.

4) explore stretchy/bungee like laces. they have helped my high volume feet for fit

5) explore various differnt lacing scenarios for different fit and foot character issues. several very good sites for that to research. TIP: try backpacking and running shoes sites

6) know foot volume, arch, cushioning, heel lock, center of gravity, and other foot support/fitting issues can be addressed with after market footbeds or orthotics. TIP: buying footwear 1/2 to 1 size larger in length and/or width may seem overly interior voluminous in store with stock cheap usually crappy stock foot beds but the volume can be made up with various volume footbeds that tweak interior shoe volume. Combine this technique with various lacing options and tweaking volume through various volume(thickness) socks to make up the extra volume. As your foot enlarge on a hike you can go to a looser lacing option and thinner sock. TIP: once these considerations are known they can be applied making it better to opt for a slightly larger fitting shoe than one too tight or one that will quickly become too tight as your feet enlarge. Buy 1/2 size larger shoes is usually a very good consideration

MuddyWaters
12-12-2016, 00:28
My usual 0.02

Order from zappos or running warehouse, free shipping and return shipping
You can returned used to running warehouse, dont forget online coupon for them, always available 10%

Order a bunch. Try at home. Lace different ways. Walk around house. Change insoles.
You cannot get same feel for shoe in a store, or easily compare shoes and sizes.

Order different sizes in each

It can take 6 months to find shoes your most happy with. Seriously. When you do buy several more pr before they get discontinued, and always be ahead of curve looking for new ones.

No one else can tell you what feels right on your foot.

skinnbones
12-12-2016, 05:50
I am curious where the OP purchased the shoes. There still might be a return/exchange option.

Hitch Bought them at Bass Pro Shop. I like the boots, just not going on my thru hike. I will use them for day hikes and such.

skinnbones
12-12-2016, 05:53
Some bags are definitly bad at this. I have a Mountain Hardware synthetic that is .....almost useless....due to tendency to do this. In a heartbeat you could get yourself stuck in it. Which, btw, is why you never ever want a mummy bag without two way zippers.

Western mountaineering on the other hand, has stiffeners laminated to the fabric adjacent to zipper to prevent snagging. Its a pleasure to use.
That's what I bought. The very first time I climbed in my Mountain Hardware the zipper snagged. I felt like I just can't win buying equipment.