PDA

View Full Version : Real world postage times using USPS priority boxes.

jjozgrunt
12-11-2016, 07:04
G'day

As a visitor I have no idea of how long parcels take over there. I was looking a posting a parcel to either Hiawassee or Franklin from Atlanta. Parcel would go out on a Monday and I would be looking at about 5 days to Hiawassee and 8 to Franklin. Planned to send them to a business not the PO.

My gut says the best option would be Franklin. Never happy relying on stated postage times.

Any suggestions?

egilbe
12-11-2016, 08:18
The time frame is close enough for government work. Probably take less time. Unless it gets lost. Be flexible.

Engine
12-11-2016, 08:43
G'day

As a visitor I have no idea of how long parcels take over there. I was looking a posting a parcel to either Hiawassee or Franklin from Atlanta. Parcel would go out on a Monday and I would be looking at about 5 days to Hiawassee and 8 to Franklin. Planned to send them to a business not the PO.

My gut says the best option would be Franklin. Never happy relying on stated postage times.

Any suggestions?

Outside of the holiday season, which you will be, priority mail is usually right on time. With those locations being close, as long as severe weather doesn't play a part, your package would almost certainly arrive within three days from Atlanta.

garlic08
12-11-2016, 08:53
As they say, hope for the best, plan for the worst. I'd give the USPS a 99.99% on-time rating with their priority service--it's quite good. But things can happen to your package outside the postal service. Though very unlikely, it can also get lost, damaged, or stolen after being received by the business.

While on an AT hike, it pays to be able to roll with the punches--something will go wrong, somewhere. If your package is mission-critical, have a back-up plan in place.

ARambler
12-11-2016, 10:34
Note that Monday to Friday is considered 4 days. Although Priority mail can be 2 days, the PO charges much more for two day delivery and I would assume 3 days, and add a day for very small towns and a day for the delivery to a business. Some businesses pick up before that day's mail is delivered. But you will want to mail to a business because you might arrive Saturday afternoon or Sunday. Add a weekend, and it could be up to a week. I would guess that 90 % of all packages make it in 3 business days.
My last Priority mail box took over a week, but this is rare.
I think you should mail to both Hiawassee and Franklin.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2016, 13:07
No more than 2 days....working days...this is where people make mistakes
Give it 3-4 and you can be certain it will be there

Receipt will have deliver date on it

Arrives sooner lots of times

Huli
12-11-2016, 13:52
Saturday is a delivery day, not always a pickup day. Talking to the attendant at the sending office will give you the most accurate information.

Dogwood
12-11-2016, 14:53
G'day

Any suggestions?

2 maybe 3 days by Priority Flat Rate USPS mail - very reliable and consistent delivery times. I send tons of resupply boxes with 90% of them USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes across the U.S., lately from the Atlanta area to many U.S. destinations. One Uncle and one Aunt had more than than 25 yrs each working for the USPS in several states. Both retired from the USPS. Another Uncle was a USPS employe for 20' something yrs. gained lots of insight through them and own experiences. If I can assist let me know. I might be able to help. I live in the Atlanta suburbs. For example. I could hold a couple boxes for you sending them out when you want.

PaulWorksHard
12-11-2016, 20:08
USPS priority mail is guaranteed to be 3 days or less, not counting Sundays. From Atlanta to Hiawassee should be 2 days, max. Sometimes, I have gotten next day delivery for close distances (<300 miles>.

Venchka
12-11-2016, 20:21
We find that sending USPS Priority mail packages before noon on Friday are often delivered on Monday in state and Tuesday several states away. The packages move all weekend.
As everyone has said, the Priority mail service is reliable and fast. For a few dollars you can add insurance above the standard $50 value. I've done that for expensive items, but never needed it.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-11-2016, 20:42
If your shipping heavy food, you want priority for fixed rate box no doubt.

But for other things, I often ship parcel post, with insurance. It gets there in same time as priority most of the time (they tell you when it will be delivered when they give you the options), or maybe 1 day later sometimes, and it costs significantly less. Sometimes they quote 1 day later to lead you to priority, but it arrives much sooner. In a nutshell, the priority is really only needed if you used the fixed rate boxes for heavy stuff.

jjozgrunt
12-11-2016, 23:30
Thanks everyone. I will probably stick to the priority boxes as they can be forwarded if I'm early and it hasn't arrived. Also wanted one for a bounce box, going to the PO of course.

I think I have had a couple of people volunteer to send parcels for me or hold my summer or winter gear. No requirement now, but thank you everyone. My niece and her husband are moving from Australia back to Wisconsin in January and she has kindly offered to be my base camp.

Dogwood
12-12-2016, 00:27
If your shipping heavy food, you want priority for fixed rate box no doubt.

But for other things, I often ship parcel post, with insurance. It gets there in same time as priority most of the time (they tell you when it will be delivered when they give you the options), or maybe 1 day later sometimes, and it costs significantly less. Sometimes they quote 1 day later to lead you to priority, but it arrives much sooner. In a nutshell, the priority is really only needed if you used the fixed rate boxes for heavy stuff.

If you can densely pack a flat rate PRIORITY USPS box with heavier items it pays to get the PRIORITY if there is a tight sensitivity delivery time. It's FLAT RATE independent of wt up to a rather high amount of wt per Priority Flat Rate Box size. I've found out the hard way attempting to save a dollar or two by going Parcel Post(First Class) the delivery time difference can be substantial in some situations. For example, delivering to a west side of the Sierra to some of the smaller towns(Lone Pine, Bishop, or to MTR or VVR(both on the JMT/PCT)) destinations from the east coast not only can Priority Flat Rate take longer than the typical 2-3 day delivery time - more like 4 days - but parcel post(First Class) can be exceedingly longer mailing to these destinations. Another example: In Hawaii on Maui when I First Class mailed a small box from Lahaina to Kahului about 20 miles away it took almost THREE WKS to arrive which can regularly happen because maui waits to accumulate a sizable amount of mail first, them delivers it all off island to a larger sorting USPS Center on Oahu. Then mails it back off the island of Oahu to the Maui destination. I always use Priority in Hawaii if what I'm sending has a time sensitive delivery time without the rate skyrocketing into 1 and Overnight Delivery rates.

Engine
12-12-2016, 06:48
We don't plan very many mail drops, maybe 5-7. Using Priority flat rate boxes, I plan to have my daughter mail them when we are about 10 days from that point. By the time we are a week out the package should be there and since you get free tracking, she will know they've arrived.

I found I could get 4 1/2 days food supply for two of us into a large flat rate box, but I practically had to sit on the box to get it taped shut. That ended up being around 14 pounds of supplies which can be shipped anywhere. The medium box holds about 2 1/2 days of food for two (5 days for1).

jjozgrunt
12-12-2016, 08:51
We don't plan very many mail drops, maybe 5-7. Using Priority flat rate boxes, I plan to have my daughter mail them when we are about 10 days from that point. By the time we are a week out the package should be there and since you get free tracking, she will know they've arrived.

I found I could get 4 1/2 days food supply for two of us into a large flat rate box, but I practically had to sit on the box to get it taped shut. That ended up being around 14 pounds of supplies which can be shipped anywhere. The medium box holds about 2 1/2 days of food for two (5 days for1).

How much a box will hold is good info to have. What do the actual boxes cost from the PO or are they included in the fee?

MuddyWaters
12-12-2016, 09:04
How much a box will hold is good info to have. What do the actual boxes cost from the PO or are they included in the fee?

Priority mail boxes are free at P.O., this is big selling point for the service. Tape is not. You need to bring tape or buy it there. Then they retape it with their special tape. Dont count on them loaning you tape for free . If you bounce a box include packing tape in it.

About 7 days for one person is all you will get in a large box. Its 792 cu in. If you ship bulky things like mountainhouse...way less.

ScareBear
12-12-2016, 09:06

The boxes are free. With the unlimited weight, the only reason I see to go Parcel Post is if something just won't fit into the box...then I would give it no less than 7 WORKING days, just to be sure...

ScareBear
12-12-2016, 09:11
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c031

ScareBear
12-12-2016, 09:13
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/category.jsp?categoryId=shipping-supplies

PaulWorksHard
12-12-2016, 21:51
Check out using the UPS click N ship service. Then look at regional rate A and B boxes. Somewhat cheaper than standard priority mail service. You order the regional rate boxes online and when you have them, go online to print out shipping labels. Costs depend on distance, but regional rate B box was from $6.55 to $12.00 to mail 9 pounds to stops along AT from Virginia. Size of box is 12" × 10" × 5" or 15-7/8" x 14-3/8" x 2-7/8".

Medium flat rate box is 11 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 6" and large flat rate box is 12 1/4" x 12 1/4" x 6. So regional rate b falls between the two.