PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the Virginia "Triple Crown."

Vrill
12-12-2016, 18:54
First post, everyone.

I live in Virginia Beach, and I think the nearest hill is about a hundred miles away. In late March, I am giving strong consideration to heading to Roanoke to try the "Triple Crown" loop.

The only part of the AT I've been on was the section from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry about five years ago, and it was extremely challenging to me, likely because of my inexperience and toting more gear than what was ever needed, and unfortunately, this section didn't offer much of anything in terms of breathtaking views and picturesque scenery.

They say this loop is not for inexperienced hikers, but I've already begun working out and getting my legs and my back strong for this.

I want to travel light and focus on making good time during the flat and downhill stretches, and use strategy of knowing when and where to fill my water bottles so I'm not always lugging a full supply.

Also, it appears as if there are at least four shelters along this rout. It seems unlikely they would be full this time of year, so do any of you think it's advisable to not take a tent? Again, I want to travel light move fast.

Does anyone who has done this have any advice for me?

juma
12-12-2016, 20:26
should be no problem with shelters in march, I wouldn't take a tent. maybe a tarp to wrap up in if an accident befell me.

SWODaddy
12-12-2016, 20:27
Since you said loop I assume you mean taking the Andy Lane trail across the valley to the North Mountain trail (or vice versa)? I haven't done that section but have done some planning.

1. North Mountain trail is completely dry in that section.
2. How is your navigation? Trails off the AT may not be well marked.
3. Yes, absolutely bring a shelter.

Furlough
12-12-2016, 20:50
First post, everyone.
I live in Virginia Beach, and I think the nearest hill is about a hundred miles away.

Welcome to Whiteblaze. As far as hills - I ran Mt Trashmore more times then I can count way back in High School for Cross Country practice and meets.

Furlough

Vrill
12-12-2016, 21:05
Welcome to Whiteblaze. As far as hills - I ran Mt Trashmore more times then I can count way back in High School for Cross Country practice and meets.

Furlough

Ha. I guess I don't bother to consider Mt. Trashmore because it's artificial and between 264 and a playground, but yeah, going up and down that thing could be a good way to get me prepared.

Vrill
12-12-2016, 21:08
Since you said loop I assume you mean taking the Andy Lane trail across the valley to the North Mountain trail (or vice versa)? I haven't done that section but have done some planning.

1. North Mountain trail is completely dry in that section.
2. How is your navigation? Trails off the AT may not be well marked.
3. Yes, absolutely bring a shelter.

Im not sure what you mean by navigation. if you mean a map, I plan to get one.

Vrill
12-12-2016, 21:12
And yes, I know the north mountain is dry and I'll have to go a whole day without a water source. Is the beginning of the mountain clearly marked near a stream so I'll know when I need to load up my vessels?

Furlough
12-12-2016, 21:14
Ha. I guess I don't bother to consider Mt. Trashmore because it's artificial and between 264 and a playground, but yeah, going up and down that thing could be a good way to get me prepared.

Also - The high dune trail out in First Landing State Park. Known as Seashore State Park back in my day.

TNhiker
12-12-2016, 23:00
Also - The high dune trail out in First Landing State Park. Known as Seashore State Park back in my day.

ive had a lot of fun at the campground at this state park after some grateful dead and phish and Allman brothers shows.....

Pastor Bryon
12-12-2016, 23:17
Echoing an earlier post. I would advise bringing either:

A - a tarp and a practiced knowledge of how to set it up. March weather will not wait for you to reach the shelter before catching you sometimes. I'm not sure it is enough to wrap up, because you may need to dwell in that place under tarp for an extended period of time. (This is unless you have the equipment/clothing/determination to hike in poor weather conditions for an extended period of time to get to said shelter. Snow, freezing rain, ice - all of these are distinct possibilities in March, and may not be apparent from the starting point, but change as you go up in elevation.)

B - an at least somewhat lightweight tent. If you aren't comfortable with the tarp option, then go this route.

Having said this, if you are confident in hiking through whatever weather you encounter, then I do think the shelters are fine.

I would still take a tarp for emergency purposes, and maybe one of the SOL emergency blankets or bivys just in case. To me, the extra weight is worth the safety. If you twist an ankle or some injury that keeps you from getting to the next shelter, there is no guarantee that another hiker is going to come by you anytime soon.

Happy prepping! I'm about an hour from the Triple Crown, if you need any help with logistics or such, feel free to reach out, happy to help.

chknfngrs
12-13-2016, 09:29
I did this loop with my wife several years ago with one night bivied on tinker cliffs. parked at dragons tooth lot, hiked counter clockwise. All of the seriously hard climbs were knocked out on day one. And we had extra water stashed in the car so we knew day2 wouldn't be impossibly dry. I think we filled up on water somewhere off 624 near 4 pines and again up at pigfarm camp (or whatever it's called) at the end of day 1. And on the morning of day 2 filled up at the base of Andy layne trail in a creek. If memory serves the climb back up North Mtn was not long. We had a 32 ounce nalgene each.

chknfngrs
12-13-2016, 09:30
Carried a tent FWIW, this was 10+ years ago

hobbs
12-13-2016, 10:48
I am local..I would carry a shelter anyway,,,Weekends are unpredictable with how many will be on trail..For water sources their listed in the AT Guide and Companion..They should be good that time of year dependant on our winter and spring...Light is good..Just think 3 days not a month...I would park my car at the park and ride in Daleville and get s shuttle from Homer to dragons tooth..Should be about 20, 25 bucks..He's listed in the ATC shuttle list or call outdoor trails in Daleville...Hope this helps you out...

chknfngrs
12-13-2016, 11:56
If I recall correctly there was an obvious water source at the bottom of the Andy Layne Trail to fill up on. And the trail up north Mtn itself was obvious, as was the ridgewalk.

Vrill
12-13-2016, 14:47
Echoing an earlier post. I would advise bringing either:

A - a tarp and a practiced knowledge of how to set it up. March weather will not wait for you to reach the shelter before catching you sometimes. I'm not sure it is enough to wrap up, because you may need to dwell in that place under tarp for an extended period of time. (This is unless you have the equipment/clothing/determination to hike in poor weather conditions for an extended period of time to get to said shelter. Snow, freezing rain, ice - all of these are distinct possibilities in March, and may not be apparent from the starting point, but change as you go up in elevation.)

B - an at least somewhat lightweight tent. If you aren't comfortable with the tarp option, then go this route.

Having said this, if you are confident in hiking through whatever weather you encounter, then I do think the shelters are fine.

I would still take a tarp for emergency purposes, and maybe one of the SOL emergency blankets or bivys just in case. To me, the extra weight is worth the safety. If you twist an ankle or some injury that keeps you from getting to the next shelter, there is no guarantee that another hiker is going to come by you anytime soon.

Happy prepping! I'm about an hour from the Triple Crown, if you need any help with logistics or such, feel free to reach out, happy to help.

Thanks so much for all the great input! I don't know what help I'm going to need yet, but I appreciate the offer. I'll PM you as the day approaches if there is anything I think I might need. Again, thanks.