PDA

View Full Version : VBL socks

Dogwood
12-13-2016, 14:28
Posting this in a separate thread so not to hijack NSherry's VBL thread.

One of the reasons why I've switched to more permeable insulated and non insulated crew height HANZ brand type WP socks verse the sock(merino) and VBL(bread bag) combination is that no matter how I experimented with VBL sock layering and WP/Non WP shoes/trail runners my feet had greater maceration issues from being bathed in their own sweat. With the WP yet somewhat breathable socks I have less maceration issues to address from my feet bathing in sweat. For me, foot skin maceration might not pose the extent of an issue on a day hike or 2-3 cold winter hike but when possibly out for longer durations doing greater daily MPD avgs working hard in deeper snow or using snowshoes day after day after day for example I have significantly greater foot skin maceration to address with VBL socks in the mix.

While employing VBL socks in winter I've somewhat addressed the bathing in sweat issue by first applying to the feet Hydropel moisture barrier(can't find it anymore, it's too expensive for my tastes comparatively to the next two products!), BodyGlide Liquified Powder, or Bert's Bees Res-Q Ointment(has to be really rubbed in as it's a balm) base layering a merino sock next to my skin with the VBL liner sock over. But, at some point in the day the merino sock often gets to the point it gets beyond damp to being wet with sweat still.

BTW, as per Baby Giraffes suggestion on Brian's blog I've found "BodyGlide Liquified Powder also comes in a package of 9 individual 4ml (0.135 fl oz) individual use packets for around $8. This would save weight over the tube but, of course, you could also make your own packets."

How are you dealing with or avoiding your feet bathing in sweat when using VBL socks?

Dogwood
12-13-2016, 14:29
http://briangreen.net/2011/07/hydropel-vs-bodyglide-liquified-powder.html

Engine
12-13-2016, 17:18
...One of the reasons why I've switched to more permeable insulated and non insulated crew height HANZ brand type WP socks verse the sock(merino) and VBL(bread bag) combination is that no matter how I experimented with VBL sock layering and WP/Non WP shoes/trail runners my feet had greater maceration issues from being bathed in their own sweat. With the WP yet somewhat breathable socks I have less maceration issues to address from my feet bathing in sweat...

While employing VBL socks in winter I've somewhat addressed the bathing in sweat issue by first applying to the feet Hydropel moisture barrier(can't find it anymore, it's too expensive for my tastes comparatively to the next two products!), BodyGlide Liquified Powder, or Bert's Bees Res-Q Ointment(has to be really rubbed in as it's a balm) base layering a merino sock next to my skin with the VBL liner sock over. But, at some point in the day the merino sock often gets to the point it gets beyond damp to being wet with sweat still...

My experience has been the same regarding wet feet and raw skin from long days on the trail with a VBL bag over my socks inside trail runners. I've only ever done it a few times and the result was always the same, which is why I ended up with a pair of Sealskinz in my pack. They serve as my sleeping socks until the damp snow or slush shows up, and while not perfect, they are a much better solution.

What's odd about this is I don't remember having this issue as a teenager hunting in northern Michigan. I would walk miles in snow of varying depths wearing a pair of well insulated Sorel boots and my feet were not really wet at the end of the day.

nsherry61
12-13-2016, 19:13
I suspect there are some people that VB socks won't work for and others that it can work well for. Just like there are people that struggle with soaking wet feet and blisters from sweating when backpacking in the summer and others that don't.

My personal experience has been that I need to keep my liner socks very thing and I prefer synthetic socks, although I've successfully used merino wool socks also. My feet are definitely damp at the end of the day, but not soaking, similar to hot sweaty feet from hiking in warm weather, but not worse.

If I am walking/skiing or whatever in insulated, waterproof boots without VB socks, the whole boot and sock system absorbs my foot sweat so my feet are less wet than with a VB socks, but my whole insulation system is wetter and less effective. As long as I let my feet dry out at the end of the day, which they do very easily and quickly, I haven't had any problems.

I find it quite shocking how much warmer my feet are in VB socks than without, probably 15-20*F of increased functional warmth. That also means that I tend not to bother with VB socks, and just let my insulation get damp with sweat on day hikes in temperatures above 20*F or so.

In the end, I have chosen to accept the extra dampness and fiddling with VB socks so that I can keep hiking and snowshoeing and climbing all winter in my lighter trail shoes instead of heavier and more expensive insulated boots. It is so awesome to dance around in light footwear instead of plodding in boots. It's kinda like ultra-light backpacking instead of a traditional 50-60 lb load.