PDA

View Full Version : CT Section Recs plz

dcdennis
12-13-2016, 18:20
Will be visiting family in CT over New Years. If it isn't horrible weather I'd be interested in knocking a couple miles off the AT while I'm there.

Any thoughts on a quick out/back or small section where I can catch a shuttle back to my car? I'll be in the Hartford area. Looking for Day Hikes only.

Slo-go'en
12-13-2016, 19:01
A hike up to the top of Bear Mt would be a good day hike and is popular. It would be possible to do a loop via the AT, but given the short day, a more direct route via a side trail would be a better idea. Be prepared for snow and/or ice.

If there is a decent amount of snow, a snowshoe hike on the AT going south from Salisbury would be a nice walk in the woods. Go up to the giant thumb and back.

dcdennis
12-13-2016, 19:31
Hmm I don't hike in snow really. Is it high enough where there might be snow on top even if there isn't snow at ground level? I don't mind a little ice, I'll go pick up some spikes just in case, but definitely am not prepared for snow.

Venchka
12-13-2016, 19:36
Snow is less risky than ice. Spikes work for both conditions.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Tom
12-13-2016, 21:16
Bear Mountain loop is very popular, just use caution on the north face of Bear Mountain as the lack of much direct sun makes it icey even when the rest of the trail is not.

Slo-go'en
12-13-2016, 21:20
It could well be snow on top of ice, which is really nasty if the snow isn't too deep. The way the weather has been going back and forth lately, hard to say exactly what conditions there will be like in a couple of weeks, but ice is a good bet. It really depends on exactly where the rain/snow line ends up during the next couple of storms. NW CT and SW MA are right where that line has been sitting during the last recent storms. This weekend could be a big rain or snow event, followed by another deep freeze.

gsingjane
12-14-2016, 08:12
Another possibility, if you aren't necessarily looking for an Epic Winter Hike, entails a bit more travel but would be less chancy... drive down to Kent (nothing is too far away from anything else in Connecticut as you'll find) and hike the river walk along the Housatonic River. That ought to be extremely beautiful at this time of the year and even if it IS icey, it's almost entirely flat and there wouldn't be far to fall. Afterward you could have a drink or a meal in Kent, which is a very pretty town, and it could be quite a festive day! Have fun and happy holidays!

Jane