PDA

View Full Version : Resupply options at Neel Gap and TOG

jjozgrunt
12-14-2016, 03:12
For those that have been there what are the resupply options at Neel Gap and Top of Georgia Hostel like for variety. Meals, snacks etc. Trying to plan the first week or so and the rest will take care of itself.

I only have to average 14 mpd for the whole AT and I don't plan to have my first stop until Franklin. Starting with 4 days so will need another 3-4 days food.

Before anyone says anything I regularly do 15 - 20 mpd walks and up to 14 days between showers so not a problem for me, may have to sleep away from others and stay down wind though. The cooler temps will certainly be a blessing coming from 90 to 100F temps here at that time of year.

ScareBear
12-14-2016, 04:32
For those that have been there what are the resupply options at Neel Gap and Top of Georgia Hostel like for variety. Meals, snacks etc. Trying to plan the first week or so and the rest will take care of itself.

I only have to average 14 mpd for the whole AT and I don't plan to have my first stop until Franklin. Starting with 4 days so will need another 3-4 days food.

Before anyone says anything I regularly do 15 - 20 mpd walks and up to 14 days between showers so not a problem for me, may have to sleep away from others and stay down wind though. The cooler temps will certainly be a blessing coming from 90 to 100F temps here at that time of year.

Both places provide drop-box service to hikers, thru or not.

Neel's Gap-Mountain Crossing Outfitters
Probably as good a place as any to resupply and gear up that is actually right on the freakin trail. Literally. Realistically priced gear, usually UL or VL gear. Boots too! They do a great business catering to "The American Way". Which is to say that so many people just think they can show up and thru-hike, because...well..."'MERICA!". I wish I was kidding...Mountain Crossing ships home TONS of unwanted/unneeded gear from the clueless every year. There are EXCELLENT and reasonably priced cabins just a 1/4 mile away on a side trail paralleling the road, inquire within.
https://www.mountaincrossings.com/

Top Of Georgia Hostel
Haven't been since '14, but SirPacksALot was running a nice, clean, modern, friendly hostel with all the comforts. A very pleasant fellow. The resupply is a quite a bit more limited here, but you can call and see what's on offer. I think we grabbed some Lipton noodles, trail bars, candy and a couple of sodas...also, they have free shuttles a couple of times a day to the store.
http://www.topofgeorgiahostel.com/food---resupply.html

From Georgia to Fontana Dam, re-supply shouldn't be too much of an issue. GSMNP is a PITA, but its easier after...

Best of luck on your thru hike. Don't underestimate GA/NC in Feb/March, as far as weather, snow, ice, freezing rain, and the possibility of days of 40 degree rain, without relief....just sayin...be prepared to deal with it, including the possibility of traction aids, unless you don't mind racking up a few zeros waiting for the thaw...just sayin...

MuddyWaters
12-14-2016, 05:03
MX has enough to do full resupply with hiker crap.
Good enough to get to hiawassee or noc even

You can send maildrop
Stay there in hostel and might wrangle ride to town

Goose creek cabins down road will take you town to eat and shop I think. They will pick you up from MX and bring back

Engine
12-14-2016, 05:24
Caboose and I are trying to stretch out our AT experience and are only planning on maintaining about 14 mpd overall as well. Our resupply for the first couple weeks looks like this:

Start at Springer (2 1/2 days food)
Mail drop at MX (2 1/2 days food)
Resupply in Hiawassee (4 1/2 days food)
Resupply at NOC (1 1/2 days food)
Mail drop at Fontana Lodge (5 1/2 days food, includes extra day for possible weather delay)
Resupply at Standing Bear farm (2 days food)
Hot Springs ... possibly a well deserved zero.

If you switch the stop at Hiawasse for a stop in Franklin, this would probably be close to what you're looking for.

jjozgrunt
12-14-2016, 08:50
Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if the TOG would accept boxes if you weren't staying there. That will fix the problem I'll send a box there from Atlanta, didn't want to risk getting a box to Neel Gap in only 2 days. From Franklin I will be doing pretty much what Engine is doing except that I may get off in Gatlinburg just for a look around and to try some of that Old Smoky Tennessee Moonshine or a beer or ten.

ScareBear
12-14-2016, 09:16
Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if the TOG would accept boxes if you weren't staying there. That will fix the problem I'll send a box there from Atlanta, didn't want to risk getting a box to Neel Gap in only 2 days. From Franklin I will be doing pretty much what Engine is doing except that I may get off in Gatlinburg just for a look around and to try some of that Old Smoky Tennessee Moonshine or a beer or ten.

I'd check with somebody in the know as to what is open/standing in Gatlinburg closer to your hike . It just experienced a conflagration that destroyed a significant number of structures. It will be quite busy with re-construction during the Spring of 2017....

Be sure to call or email TOG regarding your drop box. Always good to give them a head's up something important is coming and what day you will pick it up. You won't have any zero's before then, so you should know your date of arrival at TOG with some certainty.

You may want to skip Gatlinburg altogether and just grab a couple days food at Standing Bear and then do a proper resupply in Hot Springs...In fact, IMHO if you can wait until Hot Springs for your first zero, then you can take a proper day or two off in a proper hiker's town. And, you will....ummm....enjoy the local watering hole(s) and the beer far more than in Gatlinburg, fire or not. YMMV.

JC13
12-14-2016, 09:51
Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if the TOG would accept boxes if you weren't staying there. That will fix the problem I'll send a box there from Atlanta, didn't want to risk getting a box to Neel Gap in only 2 days. From Franklin I will be doing pretty much what Engine is doing except that I may get off in Gatlinburg just for a look around and to try some of that Old Smoky Tennessee Moonshine or a beer or ten.ToG started allowing drop boxes without a stay this year. I would still call ahead and let them know something is coming.

Engine
12-14-2016, 11:40

If you're just needing to send food and not any gear, you could let me know what you want and we could put together and send a drop to MX for you far enough in advance to be sure it arrives well ahead of you. It's an option...

capehiker
12-14-2016, 13:01
Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap will supply you well.

ToG is a love it or hate it place. If you are literally going to ToG to get a resupply and get back on the trail, that place will work. You may see a bigger mark-up on food since his place is in some financial trouble due to the fires.

However, if you are wanting a place to crash or maybe have something other than trail food, Hiawassee is a great place to resupply. I was originally going to stay at ToG but the chatter of being nickel and dimed was enough to send me into Hiawassee and I'm really glad I did (not to mention I had emailed the owner 3 different times via two ways and never got a reply back). There was a filling all you can eat buffet, a great grocery store (was very pleasantly surprised) and since you're coming from Aussie, you can get your first taste of southern food there.

Franklin is a great place to zero and resupply.

jj dont play
12-14-2016, 15:45
Neel Gap has everything you could need and more. Great re supply, a little pricey so mailing a box may save some $.Top of Georgia is a decent resupply also and a bit pricey also, if you stay they you get free shuttle into town. The ingles there is one of your best resupply opportunities on the trail IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George
12-14-2016, 20:17

if you are going to mail a box from atlanta make it for fontana (a good place for freeze dry so 5-6 days of food is not excessive heavy) - take the shuttle for groceries from TOG - you only need 2-3 days so you can carry fresh stuff

also, moonshine is over rated and over priced - drink some good bourbon in the south - good micro brew in the north - maybe wine in the middle ( VA has a lot of small vineyards ) they even have local selections at the waysides in the shennies

jjozgrunt
12-14-2016, 21:25
maybe wine in the middle ( VA has a lot of small vineyards ) they even have local selections at the waysides in the shennies

That's what I love about this site lots of useful information. Besides a cold beer I love a good red wine. Never heard of wine from Virginia are they white or red or both?

bigcranky
12-14-2016, 22:22
Both. Virginia wine can be pretty good, or really bad -- had both. :)

Great craft beer pretty much anywhere. Lots of local breweries.

You can buy food at Neels Gap, and hitch into Hiawassee for the grocery store at Unicoi or Dicks Creek. Both are pretty easy.

Hikemor
12-14-2016, 22:25
Wines from wineries north of the James River are generally better. Top red varietals are Cabernet Franc and Chambourcin. Top white varietals are Viognier and Chardonnay. Doukenie Winery near Purcellville, VA (approx. 5 miles off the AT at VA 7) is wonderful.