PDA

View Full Version : Less Crowded Time at Springer

Bolts
12-14-2016, 15:36
I am planning a 5-6 day section hike starting at Springer in 2017. Not sure exactly when, but sometime between mid June to end of Oct. During that timeframe, when is it less crowded for a start at Springer? I realize "crowded" is a relative term. It is like saying Disney World is not as crowded as other times. (Only have to wait 1 hour in line instead of 1 1/2 hours!) I am not planning to use the shelters.

Also, I am guessing that most section hikers start either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. Good guess?

Thanks for your help.

Gambit McCrae
12-14-2016, 16:06
Summer, starting on a Monday. Section hikers are 99% weekends. And after the herd moves thru your good.

Im a people watcher so I enjoy the crowds :)

JC13
12-14-2016, 16:14
We went last year in July and still had several nights where we were camped with anywhere from 5-15 people tenting and or using the shelter site.

burger
12-14-2016, 16:34
Go for fall, especially after Labor Day when kids are back in school and families aren't doing vacations. We started a 200-mile section at Springer around Sept. 20 and had shelters to ourselves most nights. Admittedly this was a few years back, before everyone and their cousin discovered long-distance hiking, but fall is generally a good time to enjoy crowd-free travel, and fall has the nicest weather plus fall foliage.

soumodeler
12-14-2016, 17:43
After Labor Day is probably better than summer, and late October would be my pick. You will still see people, and depending on the day and location, maybe quite a few of them.

Dogwood
12-14-2016, 19:27
Less Crowded Time at Springer
Right now.. other than the loonies like me who may be there this New Yrs Eve. ;) You'll have your pick of CS.

soumodeler
12-14-2016, 21:20

Right now.. other than the loonies like me who may be there this New Yrs Eve. ;) You'll have your pick of CS.

Ssshhh! Don't give away the NYE secret! I've been on Springer NYE 2 of the past 3 years and it's becoming something of a tradition. Always fun to see the early thru hikers. Last year I saw a guy with a nearly 100lb pack and 2 trash bags full of gear.

bigcranky
12-14-2016, 22:35
I like early or mid June in the South. There's plenty of water (usually), the trail isn't too crowded, it's not too hot yet.

Yeah, start on Monday. :)

Venchka
12-14-2016, 22:42
Ssshhh! Don't give away the NYE secret! I've been on Springer NYE 2 of the past 3 years and it's becoming something of a tradition. Always fun to see the early thru hikers. Last year I saw a guy with a nearly 100lb pack and 2 trash bags full of gear.

No doubt coached by Tipi Walter.
Philosophically, I think a case could be made for minimalist UL gear and a 400 mile re supply schedule.
Think about it.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
12-15-2016, 14:19
This guy's plan was 30 days worth of food at a time I think. I know he had a 2 gallon jug of protein powder in one trash bag. He bought in bulk to save money.

I know he made it past Neel Gap but nobody I was following on blogs mentioned him after that. He turned down a shakedown at Mountain Crossings.

bigcranky
12-15-2016, 15:43
Philosophically, I think a case could be made for minimalist UL gear and a 400 mile re supply schedule.

Demetri Coupounas, the founder of Golite, tried this already. He did the Colorado Trail with no resupply, and started at Springer with ultralight gear and 115 pounds of food back in 2008. I remember seeing a lot of coverage at the time (Eight Pounds of Chocolate!) but I can't find much now. I don't think he made it that far -- too much up and down will do that to you.

Andrew Skurka did something similar a few years later, I think.

Dogwood
12-15-2016, 17:33
There have been a few who thru-hiked the LT and JMT without ever resupplying. These are usually the mega mileage folks. When you're after a unsupported FKT of these length trails not that hard to imagine only hauling 3/4-5/6 days of food. Particularly since the rest of the non consumable category of the kit is so darn SUL.

It may be Skurka did a CT thru with no resupply. He's a mutant though. ;) Really, more like he's so damn driven, ambitious, an elite athlete, and intelligent.

Venchka
12-15-2016, 23:47
JMT.
Dan McHale as a teenager.
9 days.
No doubt before the annoying bear can rules.
He did use an alcohol stove.
Wayne

jcamp
12-16-2016, 00:05
I have hiked it a few times in spring and summer and fall. One thing to remember is that the trail and camp sites and water sources take a beating during the peak times. It takes a while for the trails to recover and/or for volunteer crews to clean up. The later you wait the better.

Theosus
12-16-2016, 07:53

Agreed! Winter on the trails is the best. Hiked 30 miles last January into Damascus. The only people we saw were the 6 of us in our group. It was like the trail was reserved for us.

rafe
12-16-2016, 09:37
"Crowding" on the trail is a relative term. A bit more measurable at shelters and campsites. There's likely to be a spike on Friday and Saturday nights, in nice weather, and especially long weekends (July 4, Labor Day). On trail, you'll meet more people near trailheads, and especially the "major" trailheads, like, say, Rte. 311 in Virginia.

Thru hikers will not be a problem. You'll be sharing the trail with people just like yourself.

I found the central part of the AT (PA-VA) nearly empty in Aug-Sept. but that was almost 10 yrs ago.

Dogwood
12-17-2016, 00:50
JMT.
9 days.
Wayne

From a logistical and wt saving perspective JMT Unsupported FKTers can legally get away without need for a bear can. For supported FKTers of course no need to haul their own can.

Venchka
12-17-2016, 08:33
JMT.
9 days.
Wayne

No re supply.
Wayne

Venchka
12-17-2016, 08:38
From a logistical and wt saving perspective JMT Unsupported FKTers can legally get away without need for a bear can. For supported FKTers of course no need to haul their own can.

Mr. McHale's 9 day unsupported JMT hike without resupply occurred before the JMT got civilized and regulated.
It's all out there on the internet. You just have to look for it.
Wayne

Dogwood
12-17-2016, 10:41
Hauling 9 days chow is no monumental feat. For Tipi Walter that's UL. :) Not every hike involves umpteen regular resupply point options conveniently optimally spaced apart within 1 mile of the route. :-? It's a spoiled hiker mindset to assume so. McHale was doing 24 mph avg. While McHale's feat was respectable it's not all that even for 40 -50 yrs ago. I'm not perceiving how McHale's 9 day JMT thru without resupply has anything to do with the JMT being more or less civilized and regulated.

Venchka
12-17-2016, 11:17
Pay no attention to me. I was never here.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
12-17-2016, 11:17
Demetri Coupounas, the founder of Golite, tried this already. He did the Colorado Trail with no resupply, and started at Springer with ultralight gear and 115 pounds of food back in 2008. I remember seeing a lot of coverage at the time (Eight Pounds of Chocolate!) but I can't find much now. I don't think he made it that far -- too much up and down will do that to you.

He quit at neel gap.

MuddyWaters
12-17-2016, 11:32
Most cringe at carry food for more than 3-4, 10-15 mile days.

I met an old guy (late 60s)in ga a few springs back, tryin to carry 42 lb pack, 2 weeks food. He said he figured it was only way hed make it...was to stay on trail. I didnt have heart to tell him it was exactly the opposite. This was his second attempt to get out of ga.

He was looking for ride after only 10 miles to get off trail and shed weight.

gollwoods
12-17-2016, 21:46
I wait til late November if I want the fewest people but weather can be a real problem

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-17-2016, 22:09
First 3 weeks of May, or late sept-early nov are my picks

Water not a consideration in May, could be in fall

ldsailor
12-19-2016, 13:23
I was on the trail in October. I resumed an earlier hike at mile 325 going north. I stayed in shelters and there wasn't a single night where the shelter was full and several nights when I was alone - no tents either. When I did meet someone on the trail, invariably they were a SOBO thru hiker or a section hiker like myself.

I think after labor day is a great time to get on the trail if you can do it. I originally started my hike April 2 at Springer and went up to mile 325 before I got off for the summer. What a zoo! Except for the Smokies, I rarely slept in a shelter because they were always full and even tented one night in the Smokies. Fall is definitely better.

Dogwood
12-19-2016, 15:31
Pay no attention to me. I was never here.
Wayne..

Have to include you. You're so entertaining. Can you also juggle or is that just Shug? :D