PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned - you'll thank me for thiz. Maybe. ..

jefals
12-14-2016, 17:22
So, if you're out there in the woods and suddenly get the urge to grab hold of a tree for some reason, you might want to first check the back of the tree for sap. Otherwise, you could wind up in a sticky situation :)

Engine
12-14-2016, 17:28
In other parts of the world that could get you killed...nasty creepy crawlies.

Dogwood
12-14-2016, 18:09
Or that hairy rope don't be a dope thing.

pesphoto
12-14-2016, 18:14
...or the tree turns out to be dead and it crumbles as you grab onto it to hold yourself up....

Dogwood
12-14-2016, 18:32
...or the tree turns out to be dead and it crumbles as you grab onto it to hold yourself up....

Or from that dead tree a large branch breaks off. I've done that a few times thankfully not bing smashed. This is going to be a concern in the upcoming near future with the recent forest fires.

moldy
12-14-2016, 19:51
It took you 70 years to figure that out?

George
12-14-2016, 20:21
moldy got it after only 66 yrs

rocketsocks
12-14-2016, 20:51
That happened to me...4" tree broke in about three places and fell all around me.

Venchka
12-14-2016, 20:58
But seriously folks,
Trees killed by the recent fires in the Southeast will fall without warning for years. Trails are a favorite target of such trees.
Be safe.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefals
12-14-2016, 22:33
It took you 70 years to figure that out?
Not really.. up till a year or so ago, I was mainly a city boy. Depended on McDonalds instead of trees! :)

Spirit Walker
12-15-2016, 07:42
Or there's a big fat slug under your hand.

Or that hairy vine growing up it is poison ivy.

bigcranky
12-15-2016, 11:51
Both my wife and I have been stung by bees when we grabbed a tree or fence post.

nsherry61
12-15-2016, 12:13
So, if you're out there in the woods and suddenly get the urge to grab hold of a tree for some reason, you might want to first check the back of the tree for sap. Otherwise, you could wind up in a sticky situation :)
FWIW: If any of you didn't grow up around sap covered trees and find sap extremely frustrating to remove from yourself and/or your cloths, here are some tricks I've found helpful over the years.

1) If it's just a bit of sap on your hands, you can rub your hands in the dirt and get the sap all covered with dirt so it's not so sticky any more and doesn't get all over everything you touch.
2) If you carry Tecnu (http://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu) for cleaning poison oak or poison ivy from your skin, it also works wonders on sap, both on cloths, gear, skin, and in hair. Tecnu is available, at least sometimes, in small sample pouches, which would be great for an emergency kit if you can find it that way. Maybe write the company for some samples?
3) I you don't have Tecnu, I haven't found anything that works as well, but anything with oil works much better than just soap. Rub in olive oil or peanut butter, or butter, or baby oil or maybe even hand lotion (although I've never tried hand lotion, it might work somewhat). Then wash off the oil with soap and you get more pitch off than with soap alone.
4) GuGone also works moderately well along with some auto mechanic type hand degreasers.

Good luck and have fun out there.

jefals
12-15-2016, 13:30
Didn't have any of that stuff (well, except of course, the dirt). I did have some hand wipes tho. Those worked if you use enough of em...

Wheezy
12-15-2016, 15:44
Hand Sanitizer dissolves pine sap pretty well if you have any of that on hand.

rocketsocks
12-15-2016, 16:29
FWIW: If any of you didn't grow up around sap covered trees and find sap extremely frustrating to remove from yourself and/or your cloths, here are some tricks I've found helpful over the years.

1) If it's just a bit of sap on your hands, you can rub your hands in the dirt and get the sap all covered with dirt so it's not so sticky any more and doesn't get all over everything you touch.
2) If you carry Tecnu (http://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu) for cleaning poison oak or poison ivy from your skin, it also works wonders on sap, both on cloths, gear, skin, and in hair. Tecnu is available, at least sometimes, in small sample pouches, which would be great for an emergency kit if you can find it that way. Maybe write the company for some samples?
3) I you don't have Tecnu, I haven't found anything that works as well, but anything with oil works much better than just soap. Rub in olive oil or peanut butter, or butter, or baby oil or maybe even hand lotion (although I've never tried hand lotion, it might work somewhat). Then wash off the oil with soap and you get more pitch off than with soap alone.
4) GuGone also works moderately well along with some auto mechanic type hand degreasers.

Good luck and have fun out there.id just add white gas or alcohol would cut it too.