PDA

View Full Version : Need inspiration

bfox
12-14-2016, 21:38
Hey all,

My wife and I are planning for a thru hike this spring. We are both early thirties, and have been dreaming of a thru hike for a long time. We are both currently in work situations that are not ideal and are also looking to move to a different city. Additionally, we don't yet have any children, own a home, or have many other major responsibilities. It seems like the time is now to go for the thru hike or we may be waiting another 30 years until we retire.

Despite having a good savings and good contacts for finding more work when we finish next fall, I have never been unemployed since graduatign college and have been getting super nervous about leaving my current job without anything lined up. I know everyone's situation is different, but I was hoping anyone else out there who quit jobs to hike the trail might share any stories they might have. Obviously, I would love to hear success stories about how it was an amazing hike and reintegrating ended up being no big deal. Even stories, where things didn't go as planned after returning would also be appreciated!

twilightzone
12-14-2016, 22:22
Here you go!

My wife and I were in the exact same situation in early 2015; early thirties, no kids, always in school or employed - BUT dreaming about the AT and suuuuuppper bored with the day-to-day.

In Feb 2015 we both quit our high paying/comfy jobs, sold our house and then started hiking in March.

Both of us successfully completed our AT thru-hikes in September of 2015. It was the best decision ever - the experience cannot be described with words.

On re-integrating back into "society":
Even though we both found new jobs and all that ...
... the AT ruins you!

What I mean by that is after experiencing that level of simplicity and freedom during your hike you may end up with a completely different perspective on what's important to you and what your priorities are. Also, you're mind will always be wandering to those experiences you had on your hike.

Venchka
12-14-2016, 22:23
If your current employers value your contributions to the companies, they might like to have you back. Talk to them about it.
You aren't old enough to have been dreaming about a thru hike for a long time. [emoji2][emoji41][emoji106]
Do it now! Good luck!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

illabelle
12-14-2016, 22:27
Every few months someone will get on here and ask for advice about their plans for an upcoming thru-hike. Often they have some issue that is creating conflict for them. A reluctant or unsupportive spouse. A good career with the potential for promotion in the near future. Inadequate finances for the trip. A house and mortgage that has to be tended while they're on the trail. Young children that won't be able to understand a long absence. So they come here looking for support, advice, encouragement, some words of wisdom that will help them make a decision, maybe a compromise, or at least a new perspective.

Yet here you are with no obstacles. Job not an issue. No house, no kids. Enough money. Wife hiking with you. Ready to leave your life behind and start fresh somewhere else. The only thing holding you back is worry about the return to regular life after the hike. I can't predict the future for you, but I'd say just DO IT!

December is half over. You'll be busy with Christmas for a little while. Use January to clean out your house - get rid of furniture, junk, anything you don't need before the hike, on the hike, or right after the hike. Use February and March to explore all the places around Santa Fe that you haven't visited yet - that mountain, that restaurant, etc. Walk up and down whatever hills you have around you. Save a few more bucks, say some goodbyes, pack your gear, and get on the trail. Time will fly, and you'll be there before you know it.

jefals
12-14-2016, 23:19
I agree with everybody else. Go for it!

Dogwood
12-15-2016, 00:31
Sounds a lot like you're seeking validation from others based on their situations, decisions, and outcomes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDeh2XDNY4 One of the most inspiring TEDX talks I ever heard.

"..and it was in the process of acceptance that the negatives lost their power over me and the positives became my motivators...the success here is about the lessons learned along the journey...the real success were those lessons - the acceptance, the mindfulness, the learning to be present in the moment...and I can guarantee you that it is not easy, and it is not painless to take control of your own destiny...that having the courage to write your own fairytale each and everyday is what defines success to me...and that is what I find worth living"

Not shabby at all for a not long ago chubby 200 lb young lady that couldn't run once around a track. Heather personifies sober awareness, courage, self actualization, and connection.

bfox
12-15-2016, 01:17
Thanks for the comments.

Hikingjim
12-15-2016, 01:43
I agree that it sounds like a great time to go for it.
Reintegrating will likely be a process, and depending on your line of work, it might be difficult to reconcile a job's expectations with your potential new outlook on life. But you'll figure it out and it's a worthwhile process!
Going back and working some non-ideal job with minimal vacation could be a bit soul-crushing though.

Source: Past experience as an expert job quitter (to go do fun stuff)

ScareBear
12-15-2016, 04:54
If you are looking for somebody to tell you its going to be OK, in the end, good luck! Nobody has a crystal ball.

That said, if this is REALLY something BOTH of you want to do, then when else is there going to be a better time in your lives to do it? I can't see one darn thing holding you back! Except...yourselves...your self-doubt...your need to have your decision validated by strangers. That need may be a warning alarm going off. Pay attention. Does your significant other share your desire? How about your doubts?

A wise man once said that you can date somebody for two years and not really know them well enough to decide on marriage. Take a two month trip with that person, and you will know...in other words, your relationship will become bulletproof on a thru hike or...you may discover things...if you are paying attention....

JUST DO IT!(tm)

Engine
12-15-2016, 05:11
Let me offer some advice as someone who is experiencing this from the back end of that 30 years you mentioned. My wife and I were in the exact same situation with the same desire to hike the trail in our early twenties, with one exception...we had four children. We simply couldn't make it happen until the kids grew up. This year I retired early and suddenly the prospect of attempting our hike became a reality.

I'm excited, but also a little bit melancholy as the trail experience has changed a lot from 25 years ago. In some ways, it's better, with more trail magic and easier resupply, etcetera. But, in other ways, it not what I would consider improved. Primarily I am referring to the profound overcrowding that is steadily getting worse every year. That will likely continue to get worse until, at some point in the hopefully still distant future, you'll end up having to obtain a permit to do a thru hike among a constant crowd.

Don't wait, if you can do it now I truly think this is your prime opportunity. In 30 years you'll have chronic aches and pains that you haven't considered yet and the trail experience will most likely have degraded from what it is now. GO!

chknfngrs
12-15-2016, 08:06
I think you need to stop saying, "we'll try to" and start boldly saying "we're going to"

garlic08
12-15-2016, 08:44
Do you plan on having children? When my wife and I were in your situation, we had no plans for a family. So we stuck it out for another ten years and saved enough to retire at age 40. Then we started our hiking careers. If you think that's crazy, read the Mr Money Mustache blog--others are doing it, even those with a family.

When we started hiking long distance in our early forties, We felt better-equipped than most younger hikers. Along the way we gathered a lot of skills and patience from shorter trips, some of which went poorly and we learned from them. And it was really nice to have some extra financial resources to back us up.

Maineiac64
12-15-2016, 09:31
Just Do It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

bfox
12-15-2016, 09:49
So let me clarify that we are not looking for someone to tell us that is is ok or to validate our decision to do the hike... the decision has been made to go. Just looking for some stories to stay focused on the positive aspects as I think it can be easy to focus on potential negatives of a major change like quitting work to do a through hike.

Some good advice here... Again, thanks for the comments

ScareBear
12-15-2016, 10:02
So very many positive aspects. Four or five months living, eating and breathing in the outdoors, much of it in wilderness. Long periods of "me" time to engage in introspection and hopefully experience a few epiphanies...
Finding your true point of balance within your body from being as physically fit as you ever have been.
The opportunity to "achieve" realistic and simple goals on an every-day basis for extended periods will enhance your confidence immensely.

I suppose the list is as long as you want it to be! That's the idea. Hike Your Own Hike. Make it count for YOU. What do YOU want to get out of it? Chances are you CAN get what you want out of it!!!!

ScareBear
12-15-2016, 10:05
BTW, the title of your post is "Need Inspiration", so you will forgive us for assuming that you needed some validation as well...

chknfngrs
12-15-2016, 10:10
SMH. You don't need validation but want stories to stay positive. Seems the same to me. its your story not ours, do whatever you have to

D.D.Bear
12-15-2016, 12:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgDeh2XDNY4 One of the most inspiring TEDX talks I ever heard.

Thanks for the link, Dogwood!

Dont know if its inspirational, but I'll testify:

I spent my 50th b-day on Springer after struggling w/ a 45+(!) pack on the approach trail. Just reached Hot Springs last October after sectioning nobo twice a year (I know - slow). Pack is now easily sub 30 lb (w/ water) loaded w/ 4-5 days of food (dehydrating rocks).

Each time I sectioned, I would daydream about a thru while being safe knowing I'm off trail and heading home in a few days. Always wondered if I had what it took to knock out a thru.

I'm now 55. My 28-year marriage is ending (40 year relationship!), the predicate to every decision in life is no longer valid, and I get a do-over.

I'm thinking flip-flop is in my future come April (HF->M HF->S) after the dust of my previous life clears.😎

jefals
12-15-2016, 12:51
Let me offer some advice as someone who is experiencing this from the back end of that 30 years you mentioned. My wife and I were in the exact same situation with the same desire to hike the trail in our early twenties, with one exception...we had four children. We simply couldn't make it happen until the kids grew up. This year I retired early and suddenly the prospect of attempting our hike became a reality.

I'm excited, but also a little bit melancholy as the trail experience has changed a lot from 25 years ago. In some ways, it's better, with more trail magic and easier resupply, etcetera. But, in other ways, it not what I would consider improved. Primarily I am referring to the profound overcrowding that is steadily getting worse every year. That will likely continue to get worse until, at some point in the hopefully still distant future, you'll end up having to obtain a permit to do a thru hike among a constant crowd.

Don't wait, if you can do it now I truly think this is your prime opportunity. In 30 years you'll have chronic aches and pains that you haven't considered yet and the trail experience will most likely have degraded from what it is now. GO!

I agree 100% with this. In my earlier years I dreamed of hiking the AT. I thought a little about the challenge, a lot about the beauty, the solitude, and the sense of accomplishment. Now, it would be more about the challenge: Can I put up with loud, rude, stoned kids at some of these shelters?
How much am I going to have to zero, so my right knee will hold out over the long haul? Will my hands not cramp enough so I'll be able to set up or break down camp when I need to? ....
If you have a strong desire to do this hike, you're in your 30s, no responsibilities - well, you might be kicking yourself later if you don't do it now!

rafe
12-15-2016, 14:12
I work in tech (EE and firmware.) I've always shunned management roles. I was 37 when I quit my job to thru-hike. So, 15 years into my career. My employer at the time didn't grant me a leave of absence, so I just quit.

That was in 1990, during a recession. So it took longer than expected to find my next job. I had savings, no debts, kids or wife at the time, so it turned out OK. If I were more career-focused, more intent on climbing the career ladder, it might have been a problem. There was in fact an up-side... met a fine lady a few months afterwards, we've been together since then.

If you have the means and the desire, and a cushion for after the hike, go for it.

rafe
12-15-2016, 14:13
Can I put up with loud, rude, stoned kids at some of these shelters?

The loud ones are the drunks, and often they're not thru hikers. Stoners tend to be quiet.

Dogwood
12-15-2016, 16:01
Accepting change the unfamiliar:

Know everything is changing. Change is the name of the game.

You, who you are, your wife, who she is, your relationship with your wife, relationships with others, your employment relationships, the U.S., the Appalachian Trail, environment, Niagara Falls, Grand Canyon, Machu Picchu, Great Pyramids, Hawaii Volcanoes NP, The Great Barrier Reef, your age, body, soul, spirit...non are truly static. None of these are fixed in time.

Many mentally accede to this but it's different to embrace it. All this is always under construction - a work in progress - a path - not to fear because once you recognize the inevitably of change you can now direct the change to some extent. That's how you might want to look at this?

If you think quitting a job is a major change for a vast percentage of people completing a 2200 mile hike over the mountains through the woods with pretty much all their daily needs on their back represents greater change. Changing or quitting jobs is common particularly in today's world. LD hiking is so vastly more counter culture. It's very much outside societal standards.

Thru-hiking and to some extent a day hike removes us from cultural norms. This often results in a sobering up to different awarenesses.

That can be viewed as a positive aspect. Ever meet world travelers? Same thing - greater awarenesses. Do you think this is good? I do! I don't want to be narrow minded. I want mindfulness. I don't want to be incalcitrant, prejudiced, and intolerant. I want to be as unbiased and open to understanding as much as I can.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

Uriah
12-15-2016, 16:14
Accepting change the unfamiliar:

Know everything is changing. Change is the name of the game...Many mentally accede to this but it's different to embrace it. All this is always under construction - a work in progress - a path - not to fear because once you recognize the inevitably of change you can now direct the change to some extent. That's how you might want to look at this?

Thru-hiking and to some extent a day hike removes us from cultural norms. This often results in a sobering up to different awarenesses.

That can be viewed as a positive aspect. Ever meet world travelers? Same thing - greater awarenesses. Do you think this is good? I do! I don't want to be narrow minded. I want mindfulness. I don't want to be incalcitrant, prejudiced, and intolerant. I want to be as unbiased and open to understanding as much as I can.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

It is goods like this why I always read your posts Dogwood!

martinb
12-15-2016, 16:37
Nice post Dogwood, completely agree. Such a trip enriches the soul far more than anything one can find in "society".

ldsailor
12-18-2016, 17:28
Mine is a different perspective. I never considered hiking until I retired at 66. I did 530 miles in 2016 and loved it. But here's the problem. Even though I'm in good shape, my knees and ankles really took a beating. I left the trail in May to recuperate and returned in October. However after 3 weeks, I got off again with problems.

The point here is do it while you are young and can better handle the physical stress. There will always be jobs out there for quality workers.

I'm going back in 2017. Hopefully, I'll be able to at least equal the 530 miles I did this year.

RockDoc
12-18-2016, 20:44
This will cause big changes, as others have said. You might not finish, you might not even stay together...

But older people regret more the things they didn't do, than what they did.

rocketsocks
12-18-2016, 22:20
"Inspiration...we don't need no stinkin' inspiration" :D

Dogwood
12-20-2016, 23:27
http://www.eathomas.com/category/pre-hike-2/