PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather hiking.

SkeeterPee
12-15-2016, 23:05
Today is fairly cold for where I live so I thought I would try some hiking. Its 18F and windy. Windchill is -5f so I could definitely see some issues. Tried with just 2 long sleeve shirts. Seemed pretty cool so tried a puffy vest. Kept the body warm, but arms still cold. Puffy Jacket was too much and I was sweating after 2 miles (with pack).

My felt mittens were not warm enough in the wind, but I used some bread bags and that kept them warm.

The other problem was the face. I was wearing some clear safety glasses to keep out the wind. I had a felt cap and half buff to cover the face. I could pretty much cover everything, but it was not quite warm enough. Also I was fogging up my glasses so much it would have been difficult to hike. It was hard enough seeing to walk on the streets.

What recommendation do you have for these issues? How do you keep from fogging up glasses but fully cover your face?

Weather-man
12-15-2016, 23:33
As a younger man I spent quite a bit of time in Northern Norway during the winter, about 2-3 months a year for over 5 years. Some tips...as you know dress down to the point that you're not sweating. What used to work nicely for me was heavy poly pro and heavy gore-tex pants and jacket when moving even in 10-15 degree weather with wind. Colder than that I'd layer in a wool sweater (look for a Norwegian military sweater....great piece of gear). Select gear that has pit zips and the ability to adjust venting.

Take a break about every hour for 10-15 min. Get out of the wind, have a puffy available and a stove to make a quick warm drink. I can't emphasize this enough....staying hydrated through disciplined breaks and getting something warm in your belly makes for a safer and nicer winter experience. For the glasses try moving them a bit farther from your face but the fogging is sort of normal as your body is warm and moist and the environment is ice cold.

I used a neoprene face mask when it was windy cold as well as a wool cap and the hood on the gortex. Thin gloves, Ragg mittens and mitten shells worked well and allowed for dexterity if needed. Use a non water based cream to keep you hands, face and lips from cracking.

Finally, unless you spend a lot of time in the cold it's hard to get used to it. Feeling cold in your arms isn't necessarily a bad or dangerous, particularly if your core, neck and head are covered and you're dry. The reality is that in the weather you described you'll never be perfectly warm unless you're snuggled up in a tent or snow hole in an appropriate bag. When you're out moving around you'll always be a little cold because if not you'll be warm and then sweat, which isn't good.

Hikingjim
12-15-2016, 23:53
You just need a lot of layers. If there's elevation change, I will be wearing something quite different climbing than on the way down

For winter day hikes I tend to have a baselayer, middle layer and a windproof/water resistant type layer. How thick each of those are depends on temp

I like my mid layer and outer layer to be full zip so that i can open up/vent as needed. As soon as you get a little bit hot you should vent your jacket. If that doesn't fix it, then your layers are a bit much.

A good hood is important to keep wind back off of you and to take on/off to moderate temperature

I use ski goggles and/or balaclava when it's harsh out.

I disagree that you can't be comfortable in those temps. I enjoy and take my time in all weather, because I have enough gear to stay warm sitting around, and the appropriate gear to not overheat

I wear glasses, but I haven't figured out the fogging issue in certain climates. not a big issue for me in the winter though. I wear contacts when I need to

I do some winter hikes pulling sled, etc, and the group members who have the right clothes love it, and the ones who don't retire to their tent pretty early!

SkeeterPee
12-16-2016, 00:00
Thanks for the comments. Forgot to mention I hike in my contacts so I like to wear some sort of eye protection if windy.

Hikingjim
12-16-2016, 00:04
Thanks for the comments. Forgot to mention I hike in my contacts so I like to wear some sort of eye protection if windy. I have never worn eye protection specifically because of contacts and wind. Have you had issues before?

rocketsocks
12-16-2016, 00:20
"Cat Crap" anti fog lense cleaner works good for me in the winter keeping glasses clear.

https://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488

SkeeterPee
12-16-2016, 00:38
I have never worn eye protection specifically because of contacts and wind. Have you had issues before?

Yes, I have hard contacts, so perhaps they dry out quicker. Soft are not an option with my prescription. Nor is Lasik.

egilbe
12-16-2016, 08:02
I wear otg goggles. They will fog up if im too warm. I try not to get to that point. Balaclava can keep your face warm, as well as growing a beard. A snorkle hood up over your head will give you a warmer microclimate.

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 08:49
"Cat Crap" anti fog lense cleaner works good for me in the winter keeping glasses clear.

https://www.amazon.com/EK-10003C-Cat-Crap/dp/B002ZNA488

+1 Cat Crap.

Look into some cheap ski goggles or safety goggles for wind pro. Or, go with some Julbo Glacier Glasses with side curtains...
https://www.zoro.com/dewalt-impct-rstnt-goggls-antfg-scrch-rstnt-clr-dpg82-11/i/G3045734/

nsherry61
12-16-2016, 14:49
The first things that came to mind when reading the OP:

1) You needed a wind shell instead of the puffy vest, and may have been fine with just one of those long-sleeved shirts if it had been covered with a wind shell. I am not a fan of water-proof breathable shells as they hold too much moisture when I'm actively working/hiking/skiing. However you look at it, blocking the wind is crucial. Then, you carry your warm puffy in you pack to put on immediately when you stop so maintain your warmth. Then take off the puffy before you start moving again to avoid overheating.

2) Regarding your hands, your bread bags make the point. Blocking the wind is crucial to be able to take advantage of your mid-layer insulation. Having a shell mitt allows you to remove the shell and increase airflow to your hands if you start to overheat.

3) Glasses, cat-crap and all, will pretty much always fog up as soon as you cover your nose with your buff or balaclava or whatever mask you choose. Enough breath escapes up the sides of your nose, not matter what, to do the dirty work. Goggles that fit well and seal well along your cheeks and nose are the only solution I have found to control fogging after my nose is covered. BUT, goggles suck for visibility and comfort and can fog up on their own if you are overexerting yourself, so, until you are forced to cover your nose with some form of mask, use your glasses of choice (some are more prone to fogging than others - catcrap does help a lot). But, as soon as you need to cover up your nose, pull out your goggles and add them to your system. The only other time I wear my goggles is when the wind and snow is blowing so hard that fogging is NOT an issue, just seeing through the snow being blown into my eyes behind my glasses IS the issue.

4) And regarding masks. There are many types out there and everyone has their favorite. You won't know what works best for you until you play around with them. By far, my favorite in all but the most extreme conditions is my merino wool buff. Actually, even in the most extreme conditions, I use my buff, but supplement it. It takes practice to figure out how to get it to work well in all your desired configurations, but its versatility is fantastic.

A standard merino buff is very thin wool, so you can cover yourself without it being too much, or you can double or triple the layers to make it much warmer when conditions are more extreme. For me, with my ninja buff skills, I find my merino wool buff to be the best option until I get into double digit negative temperatures where I may supplement it with a balaclava. I haven't tried the heaver weight fleece/microfiber double thickness buffs yet. But, the more sculpted contours of my balaclava face hole are useful when I can't have even a square cm of skin showing, so I'm not too motivated to change my system at this point.

Whatever you end up with, you are doing it right. You're picking extreme'ish weather to go out and play and practice in. Having your system dialed makes being outside a lot more fun, safe, and easy.

Engine
12-16-2016, 15:51
The first things that came to mind when reading the OP:

...Regarding your hands, your bread bags make the point. Blocking the wind is crucial to be able to take advantage of your mid-layer insulation. Having a shell mitt allows you to remove the shell and increase airflow to your hands if you start to overheat.

...A standard merino buff is very thin wool, so you can cover yourself without it being too much, or you can double or triple the layers to make it much warmer when conditions are more extreme. For me, with my ninja buff skills, I find my merino wool buff to be the best option until I get into double digit negative temperatures where I may supplement it with a balaclava. I haven't tried the heaver weight fleece/microfiber double thickness buffs yet. But, the more sculpted contours of my balaclava face hole are useful when I can't have even a square cm of skin showing, so I'm not too motivated to change my system at this point...

True shell mitts are getting VERY hard to find anymore, only a few companies seem to make them. Additionally, they are often labeled as shell mitts, but still have an insulating layer. Many of those that aren't insulated still require seam sealing prior to use, which I was trying to avoid. I had a pair of old OR shell mitts that I loved and somehow one got lost last year. I thought it would be easy to find a replacement, but in the end, I bought a pair of Marmot Precip shell mitts on sale and cut the insulation out of them so they provided just a rain and wind barrier over my fleece gloves.

It's almost silly how much I like my merino Buff, those things are a tremendous piece of gear.

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 16:10
True shell mitts are getting VERY hard to find anymore, only a few companies seem to make them. Additionally, they are often labeled as shell mitts, but still have an insulating layer. Many of those that aren't insulated still require seam sealing prior to use, which I was trying to avoid. I had a pair of old OR shell mitts that I loved and somehow one got lost last year. I thought it would be easy to find a replacement, but in the end, I bought a pair of Marmot Precip shell mitts on sale and cut the insulation out of them so they provided just a rain and wind barrier over my fleece gloves.

It's almost silly how much I like my merino Buff, those things are a tremendous piece of gear.

OR still makes a full line of mitts. I used to use Lowe Alpine overmitts, but alas...Lowe sucks these days...

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/revel-shell-mitts-4b96ff032e4ca636f18171a702064013.html

Ktaadn
12-16-2016, 16:11
It is just walking. If you are cold, walk faster.

nsherry61
12-16-2016, 16:51
True shell mitts are getting VERY hard to find anymore. . .
I was gleeful when I saw these (https://www.rei.com/product/100626/rei-minimalist-waterproof-mittens) become available this year!!
And, these (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_The-North-Face-Runners-3-Overmitt_10251997_10208_10000001_-1_) have been around pretty consistently for a while and look like they may be being either redesigned or discontinued since they are on closeout everywhere.
And, of course, if you're really serious, these (https://www.rei.com/product/888887/arcteryx-beta-shell-mittens) continue to be available also.

Of course, if it's really cold, being water proof is not a real need, just wind protection. Heck, you could probably even use a paper bag with a rubber band around your wrist instead of a plastic bag if you could keep it from tearing. Home-made Tyvek mittens anyone?

FlyPaper
12-16-2016, 16:56
I avoid cold. I don't even like to watch movies where the characters are cold.

Engine
12-16-2016, 18:07
I was gleeful when I saw these (https://www.rei.com/product/100626/rei-minimalist-waterproof-mittens) become available this year!!
And, these (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_The-North-Face-Runners-3-Overmitt_10251997_10208_10000001_-1_) have been around pretty consistently for a while and look like they may be being either redesigned or discontinued since they are on closeout everywhere.
And, of course, if you're really serious, these (https://www.rei.com/product/888887/arcteryx-beta-shell-mittens) continue to be available also.

Of course, if it's really cold, being water proof is not a real need, just wind protection. Heck, you could probably even use a paper bag with a rubber band around your wrist instead of a plastic bag if you could keep it from tearing. Home-made Tyvek mittens anyone?

I have pretty serious gout in my hands and keeping them warm is more important to maintaining function than the average hiker. When they get wet and cold, it's profoundly worse, so I view this piece of gear as critical.

Have you tried the REI overmitts? I tried on a pair at the REI store a few months ago and wasn't in love with them. I like a cuff that extends up the wrist. I also looked into the options from some of the cottage manufacturers, but the whole seam sealing thing was common to all of them. I did see that OR still makes them, but they are proud of those things. After removing the insulation I really like the Marmot Precip mitts, they come in at just over 2 ounces for the pair in size large once the lining is gone.

I guess I should have said finding a pair of shell mitts that meet my personal criteria is tough.

Dogwood
12-16-2016, 18:46
assuming it's a day hike 18* -5* windchill

it's not wet and I don't want to be wet. I'm not carrying much wt so getting all hardcore itsy bitsy SUL/UL would not be my prioritized aim. If I was in the northeast as the OP is the hike would be about getting out for the day. It'd likely involve a 2 mph or more pace. I'd be generating heat and not taking long breaks. My layering would not likely be static. Adjustments, off, on, zip up, zip down, jacket on, jacket off, hat on, hat off, gloves on, gloves off, ho0d up, hood down chest unzipped all the way, zipped back up....etc

no need for WP shell mitts or bagtex. it's wind and cold that need to be addressed. Windstopper Gloves would be my choice in a med wt. Not any stand alone fleece glove.

before I went anywhere I would define the wind direction. If possible I'd have an itinerary walking with my back to the prevailing wind. It would makes a difference in how I gear up.

No large backpack to help shield from wind and offer a layer of warmth to the backside. Also equals greater venting.

Torso - LS 200-250 wt merino 1.2 zip or Capilene 2 1/2 zip base layer(zip gives venting option), RAB Microlight 820 FP down vest(consideration of wt of the vest is important to address conditions and the base layer choice, also has warm hand pockets should this be my outermost layer, the collar is sealing to wind gusts and comes up to my adam's apple), Arc Teryx Incendo wind jacket(has hood that's another wind cutting head warming option, very good wind protection and better in that regard then the Marmot Dri Clime(old version) or Patagonia Houdini, also since no large backpack additional area of exposed fabric on the back breathability is acceptionally agreeable, it's made for high output activities, I prefer but not critical double zips on wind and rain jackets for venting variety).

Unless I'm hiking into a fierce colder wind I prefer the BUFF and merino beanie combo for the face over a face mask. I find this combo w/ the hood of a wind jacket option like on the Incendo offers far greater versatility then the neoprene face mask. The beanie has to be able to cover my ears and stay there. If not overcast I'd likely have lanyard sunglasses offering the bank robber look.

Instead of insulated pants I'd choose simpler cheaper pants that have some windstopper ability like Columbia Rugged Pass or TNF Motion. If I used a less wind proof pants I may throw on silk wt bottoms underneath. I;d also consider a mid wt stretchy running tights to hike in if I'm looking to go at a quicker pace.

I'd be using crew or ankle ht merino mid wt socks and non WP low cut trail runners.

I'd have in the day pack or on my person some chemical heat packs.

Dogwood
12-16-2016, 18:54
mitt shells are an approach I'm not so fond of in windy cold non wet conditions. sometimes people forget that windstopper ability and additional warmth for their hands can be had simply by placing hands into shell pockets or pants pockets. I'm not fond of non permeable bagtex for ft or hands although they cheaply can function impromptu that way on the fly because they trap heat and can lead to damp or wet extremities in the cold something I typically seek to avoid

nsherry61
12-16-2016, 19:51
. . . Have you tried the REI overmitts? I tried on a pair at the REI store a few months ago and wasn't in love with them. I like a cuff that extends up the wrist. I also looked into the options from some of the cottage manufacturers, but the whole seam sealing thing was common to all of them. I did see that OR still makes them, but they are proud of those things. . .

I have only tried them on, not used them. I actually have a pair of the OR mitts that I've had for several years and like well enough. But, being a big fan of wearing lighter gloves with over-mitts when needed, and how few of these type pieces are on the market, especially at affordable prices, I tend to keep my eye out for them. I like the simplicity, weight, and price of the REI mitts relative to my OR mitts. I do prefer the fit of my OR mitts, and they are less money than the Arcteryx ones. ;-)

nsherry61
12-16-2016, 19:59
. . . no need for WP shell mitts or bagtex. it's wind and cold that need to be addressed. Windstopper Gloves would be my choice in a med wt. Not any stand alone fleece glove. . .
I use wind-stopper gloves on my bicycle. They work great.

But, Windstopper is bulky and less flexible for the same amount of insulation. For hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing in the winter, where I am not traveling at 20 mph like on my bike, I like the increased breathability of the mid-weight fleece (love the powerstretch) with the ability to put a shell over them on the occations that I need more warmth and/or wind protection, and then the fleece plus shell is much, much warmer than the windstopper alone.

SkeeterPee
12-16-2016, 21:18
I wasn't really treating this like a day hike, so I had a 32lb pack and was hiking closer to 2mph than 3mph. I was trying to learn more about my gear selection.

My base layer was a 32 degree base layer from Costco. I also had a pair of 32 degrees under layer on the bottom. Then I had a under armour long sleeve on top of that. On the bottom I had sweats on, but I really should have used my normal hiking pants which I suspect block a little more wind. I also tried out my frog togs which block the wind well, but a bit warm too.

I don't think I have any wind shirts. I might have one pull over that would qualify, but that has no venting so not the best layer for outside. Do any of you have links or name for me to search for?

Dogwood
12-17-2016, 00:34
...But, Windstopper is bulky and less flexible for the same amount of insulation. For hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing in the winter, where I am not traveling at 20 mph like on my bike, I like the increased breathability of the mid-weight fleece (love the powerstretch) with the ability to put a shell over them on the occations that I need more warmth and/or wind protection, and then the fleece plus shell is much, much warmer than the windstopper alone.

I'm going to have to disagree with your that Windstopper gloves that offer some insulation have to be bulky. You don't need a separate insulation layer glove(liner) and a separate shell to employ Winstopper tech. You don't need bulky or weightier pr of Windstopper glove model options because, as I said, IF you have hand pockets in the vest, shell, or pants, AND YOU USE THEM, to augment warmth you don't need bulkier weighted glove options. With hand pockets and not relying on constant trekking pole use I could easily get away in 18* w/ a 5* windchill temps with no snow or precipitation with Manzella STRETCHY Mens Tempest Windstopper Touch Tip gloves. These are a Windstopper power stretch lighter-mid wt option. They insulate too. I also said I'd have some chemical heat hand packs to drop one in each glove or each hand pocket. They can be used in shoes or dropped into a sleeping bag. Bulkier gloves don't always have to be the answer to blocking wind and having hand warmth nor does a WP less breathable mitt shell need to be used when it isn't wet and cold. Again, it's cold and wind that needs to be addressed not cold, wind, and wet(snow or rain).

https://www.amazon.com/Manzella-Tempest-Windstopper-Touch-Gloves/dp/B00KZCVWSW

Windstopper glove versions come in various wts. They are not just liners or shells. They are also available with various insulating capacities and constructed from different primary insulations. Windstopper gloves come in several fleece versions as the insulation. This is a different glove than just a fleece glove. Strong cold wind well below freezing temps goes easily through regular fleece gloves.

My hands retain more warmth by the simple act of having my hands free to enclose around into a fist and partly behind wider padded shoulder straps while wearing a backpack or putting into hand pockets compared to having them out there more exposed using trekking poles.

And, since this is not a day hike as assumed with possibly a day hike kit but rather a 32 lb kit in a 32 lb haul I'd very likely have two pr of socks. The unused sock pr can be an additional mitt layer whether I had hand pockets in the vest or outer layer or not or if I am using trekking poles. Multi-use, thinking outside the gear norms, is key here.

Dogwood
12-17-2016, 00:39
It's not always necessary to go to successively bulkier glove and mitt options as temps vary and get colder. Heretical thinking hey?

SkeeterPee
12-17-2016, 02:03
Good point about the socks. that added another warmth layer may have been perfect. I actually wear a pair of socks, bring one in my sleep kit, and have one extra pair for switching out. That third one could be used. Maybe not the most comfortable to hold onto trekking poles, but you really don't hold on too much when using the straps. The fleece mittens I had where ones with 4 open fingers with a flip over mitten. So you can use your fingers for a minute and then flip back into mitten mode. probably not the best mitten or the best glove. maybe glove lines, and mitten would be better

Leo L.
12-17-2016, 05:54
These days I'm doing a series of long training hikes (day and night) in cold weather, just to figure out what works and what doesn't.

As a life long office worker, I'm pretty sensitive to cold hands/fingers. At the same time, I hate wearing gloves or mitts.
So usually I would just put the hands in the pockets and go ahead so fast that I get warm from inside.
This didn't work on a hard and cold (snowy and stormy) ascent of a high desert mountain last year, I developed a painful swelling on both hand's back (outside) that took several days to recover from, and during my most recent night hike the same swelling came back, while I just had light gloves and again put the hands in the pockets.
Plus, by stretching the trousers around the bum, getting cold at this area, I developed a sciatica pain that sent me down to a painful hobble for the better part of the hike.

So for me, putting hands in the pockets doesn't work for longer hikes.

Next step will be to try the light gloves plus wind gloves, so I can varie layers from nothing, to light gloves, to light gloves with wind gloves.

Another thing I learned is the use of a buff, never had such a piece before, but after reading about it here at WB got two, one light one and a double warm one, and tried out both on a 4hrs night hike yesterday, worked just great.
For me being quite bald it seems to be the most important thing to keep the head warm. While hiking, usually I have to take off any hat when going uphill to not start sweating. Its an easy and effective way of heat regulation.

I have never had any problems with cold feet while hiking. Usually I wear light socks only and as long as I keep moving my feet stay warm.

egilbe
12-17-2016, 09:11
I use a series of glves and mitts when I hike in the Winter. If my hands get warm and start to sweat, I'll take a layer off my hands. Its been single digits and Ive hiked bare handed if I was warm enough. My hands are part of my temp regulation system. Also, if Im still hiking and start to get chilled, I start with my hands and start layering up again. It's. a constant dance with layers when hiking in cold weather.

cmoulder
12-17-2016, 09:22
But, Windstopper is bulky and less flexible for the same amount of insulation. For hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing in the winter, where I am not traveling at 20 mph like on my bike, I like the increased breathability of the mid-weight fleece (love the powerstretch) with the ability to put a shell over them on the occations that I need more warmth and/or wind protection, and then the fleece plus shell is much, much warmer than the windstopper alone.

The major problem with Windstopper fleece is that once it gets wet it is very difficult to dry it out. Discovered this the hard way in a very cold place and quickly checked it off the list. It froze stiff as a board and was useless.

Better IME to use 100-, 200- or 300-wt fleece with a shell over it, and in very cold environments a thin polyester liner under it for quickly removing the heavier gloves for improved dexterity without having to touch bare metal... for instance, it's very hard to light a stove while wearing mittens. :)

egilbe
12-17-2016, 09:30
I have several pairs of stretchy polyester fleece gloves from different companies that work well as glove liners and can be used by themselves if warmer. If my hands get cold, I can easily slide my hands into mittens.

Glove liners and mitten shells seem to be the best combo I have found.

cmoulder
12-17-2016, 10:04
Very much agree. Yesterday I was using some light, poly-merino blend gloves with MLD eVent shell mitts at 20°F. Absolutely perfect combo.

I really like the liners that fit both right and left hands.

Dogwood
12-17-2016, 10:21
The major problem with Windstopper fleece is that once it gets wet it is very difficult to dry it out. Discovered this the hard way in a very cold place and quickly checked it off the list. It froze stiff as a board and was useless...

Well, that's why they are called WINDstopper gloves not WETstopper gloves. :) There is no external precipitation/wetness in the OP's equation to address...Sure is wind and cold though.

...Better IME to use 100-, 200- or 300-wt fleece with a shell over it, and in very cold environments a thin polyester liner under it for quickly removing the heavier gloves for improved dexterity without having to touch bare metal... for instance, it's very hard to light a stove while wearing mittens. :)

You must be a bivy and/or quilt user? :p That's a solely dedicated three layer glove system for wind and cold? :-? You don't need all that bulk?(lessened dexterity which you complain) on your hands for warmth if you use hand pockets and other approaches to augment warmth. I contend one of the reasons why one might want(need?) this 3 layer system is because their outer shells don't breathe well enough during higher output periods hence hands have a tendency to get a little moist possibly decreasing the middle insulating layers capacity to insulate so they introduce a third next to skin layer. Again, there is no external moisture to address. That's a different situation.

Dogwood
12-17-2016, 10:25
...Glove liners and mitten shells seem to be the best combo I have found.

That would negatively impact nose picking and toothpick teeth cleaning ability. :)

peakbagger
12-17-2016, 10:43
I like mitts and am bummed that the gear manufacturers seem to have abandoned the design with the rubberized front face with goretex rear face with replaceable fleece liners. I still carry a pair of ORs with expedition liners in the bottom of my pack all winter as a backup. They are usually way to warm for normal use so I used to use fleece mitts with liner gloves. The mitts wore out and it took me awhile to find a suitable replacement. I found a company in Alaska, Nomar, that makes Wind Bloc fleece gloves. They don't breathe as well as regular fleece but they really resist the wind plus they have a rubberized palm. I know some folks in severe weather wear surgical gloves. They act as vapor barriers and keep the inside of the mitts a lot drier.

Another option that lot of companies have dropped are Pit Zips, they really make a big difference in the ability to vent extra heat and moisture but only if you need it. I expect many gear companies figure that most of their gear is bought by poseurs who could care less on how well the gear vents and save the pennies it would cost to put in pit zips. I actually ripped out the seams on an anorak I had years ago and hand sewed pit zips into it and I still use it. I am considering doing the same with a wind block fleece.

orthofingers
12-17-2016, 11:23
Speaking of cold weather hiking . . . Does anyone use panty hose or fishnet panty hose for a base layer? I heard some military special forces people used to do that and wondered if anyone here has tried it. They are so lightweight, it seems like they might be a useful item to bring on a cold weather outing, if they work.

Deacon
12-17-2016, 11:28

Traillium
12-17-2016, 12:03
Ah, fishnet long underwear! … I used to XC ski in a pair of cotton fishnets from Norway (I believe). Terrible — with all the worst features of cotton compounded. Once wet from sweat they were even more awful.
I have a 25-yr-old pair of windstopper fleece pants that I wore up on Exmoor. They were wonderful then, though somewhat prone to containing dampness when working hard. Now that they're well-aged, they're much better for being that bit more porous and leaky.
I also used to have a pair of deer skin outer leather mitts that I wore over a variety of thin to thick gloves. Loved them; lost them; can't find replacements. I now use a pair of OR overmitts with better gauntlets — but I'm timid about their durability.
My most effective approach is to be always zipping up or down, putting on and taking off, always modifying …

Traillium
12-17-2016, 12:06
Worth also bringing up that deliberately choosing a route that provides shelter from the wind makes a huge difference in staying comfortable in winter. This is more difficult when forced to stick to a linear trail. But that's part of the joy of winter in that it's often so much easier to move more freely without leaving much of a trace.

Leo L.
12-17-2016, 12:51
Now that has nothing to do with insulation, but still an essential piece for winter hiking: Reflective vest.
Winter hiking always brings lots of walking in the dark, on access roads when due to snow or frost the road banks are not usable, and many vehicles have their own troubles to steer and break properly.

Dogwood
12-17-2016, 12:54
Ah, fishnet long underwear! … I used to XC ski in a pair of cotton fishnets from Norway (I believe). Terrible — with all the worst features of cotton compounded. Once wet from sweat they were even more awful.
I have a 25-yr-old pair of windstopper fleece pants that I wore up on Exmoor. They were wonderful then, though somewhat prone to containing dampness when working hard. Now that they're well-aged, they're much better for being that bit more porous and leaky.
I also used to have a pair of deer skin outer leather mitts that I wore over a variety of thin to thick gloves. Loved them; lost them; can't find replacements. I now use a pair of OR overmitts with better gauntlets — but I'm timid about their durability.
My most effective approach is to be always zipping up or down, putting on and taking off, always modifying …

Now, tell us you wear a kilt too and red colored Chapstick lipstick and I see where ya going with this. :D

Traillium
12-17-2016, 15:30
Is this any better? (St George vanquishing The Dragon (me))

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161217/0e7996b1d8e39a9d94de11e0005f4c95.jpg

cmoulder
12-17-2016, 21:11
A 3-layer system provides a lot of flexibility for temperature and conditions.

I am presuming — perhaps incorrectly? — that by carrying a 32lb pack on a dayhike the OP might be thinking about longer trips. I have a fair amount of multi-day, sub-zero experience (Whites/Daks/Maine) and the liner/insulation/shell system works similarly for the hands as it does for the rest of the body. If hands are overheating, simply adjust layers as needed or remove them altogether.

If someone is planning a trip to a seriously cold place I would recommend some quick overnight test trips first with WS and a 3-layer system. Just keep in mind that in Maine in Jan/Feb 18°F is considered downright balmy.

SkeeterPee
12-17-2016, 21:43
What is WS?

Uncle Pecos
12-17-2016, 22:08
wind stopper

SkeeterPee
12-18-2016, 00:18
If I want to get something better than a bread bag, does something like MLD eVents mitts work as both rain protection (I realize they need sealed) and also wind protection? They seem to be longer than some of the linked outer shells so they are sure to cover the wrist area. Any other +/- on these or other similar pairs to consider?

Dogwood
12-18-2016, 00:52
A 3-layer system provides a lot of flexibility for temperature and conditions.

I am presuming — perhaps incorrectly? — that by carrying a 32lb pack on a dayhike the OP might be thinking about longer trips. I have a fair amount of multi-day, sub-zero experience (Whites/Daks/Maine) and the liner/insulation/shell system works similarly for the hands as it does for the rest of the body. If hands are overheating, simply adjust layers as needed or remove them altogether.

If someone is planning a trip to a seriously cold place I would recommend some quick overnight test trips first with WS and a 3-layer system. Just keep in mind that in Maine in Jan/Feb 18°F is considered downright balmy.

Absolutely, try out some different approaches and see what works for ya. It seems like the OP was doing something like a shakedown colder weather hike?

Dogwood
12-18-2016, 01:11
If I want to get something better than a bread bag, does something like MLD eVents mitts work as both rain protection (I realize they need sealed) and also wind protection? They seem to be longer than some of the linked outer shells so they are sure to cover the wrist area. Any other +/- on these or other similar pairs to consider?

Throw precipitation into the cold and wind in mixed conditions and I love these. I like how long they are for my long wiry arms with the bungeed cord locks that help keep out snow and water. They layer in the wrist area very well wearing a WP Rain jacket. So often some of the WP gloves and mitts are too short so water or snow creeps into the glove. The 3 layer eVent breathes well for using in a mitt. I have the MLD eVent 3 L mitts. You might look Borah Gear and Luke's UL that have similar. I'd be interested in hearing a comparison test between the MLD, Borah and Lukes. Luke also offers a Pertex Shield version which I'd like comments upon if anyones can offer personally experienced comparisons

Leo L.
12-19-2016, 06:21
Did another long test walk yesterday and while most of my cold weather stuff worked just great, the gloves still failed.
Used a set of rather light gloves and at times waterproof overgloves to protect against wind/rain.
The last few hours of the hike it started to snow, which turned into slush at lower elevation, and even as I tried hard to get it right at the end the gloves were soaked and the fingers frozen, so that my wife had to peel me out of the clothes.
She now promised me to knit a set of gloves from dogwool.
I'll also look into some of the overgloves/mitts recommended above.