PDA

View Full Version : Top of Georgia Hostel may not be around in the future

-Rush-
12-16-2016, 11:16
Anyone have thoughts on this? There's a lot of controversy in the AT community regarding this place. Some love it, some hate it, all for different reasons.

https://www.gofundme.com/savetoghostel

Fireplug
12-16-2016, 11:39
They are high priced. But some people dont mind that.

peakbagger
12-16-2016, 12:19
I am somewhat confused, is this a private business or a charitable organization?. A donation usually implies its a charitable contribution that is deductible.

Engine
12-16-2016, 12:42
I have some misgivings regarding a for-profit business requesting donations to remain in business. But, as long as they show the sponsorships as income and run 100% of it through their books, it's perfectly legal. In my mind, it would have been a more stand up move to provide compensation for donating in the form of a reduced price stay next season.

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 12:46
I'm a little confused here, so please try and help me understand something. Fourteen people are dead, hundreds of families have lost their homes, thousands of acres of forest have been obliterated and turned into an ecological disaster site for years to come, and this is a request for $10k in donations to a school for teaching people who already know how to walk to walk? To a business which physically survived the disaster, where nobody died, and is presumably about to get busier? It's a "rescue center" that "partners" with the ATC right? It's a store and hostel right near where workers and volunteers are going to be busy all spring right? Aren't they really two businesses with the Woody Gap Outfitters and Hiker Hostel 40 miles to the south? I'm curious where I can make a donation to the families who have lost loved ones forever. I'm also curious if the A.T. hasn't hit a new low in the panhandling department. Remember when hiking was a sport of self-reliance and not one of total interdependence, co- dependence, and just plain dependence on others to finance your business related hiking exploits? This is poorly timed and in incredibly poor taste. In fact, it's abhorrent. Especially given that it is a place meant to set an example to would be hikers. Hiking and begging are becoming synonymous and socially acceptable within the so-called "hiker community" in just this way. While we're on the subject: I'm so stressed out I need two weeks on St. John to raise awareness about the dangers of rum infused fruit drinks - "send lawyers, guns, and money!"

trailmercury
12-16-2016, 12:53
I'm a little confused here, so please try and help me understand something. Fourteen people are dead, hundreds of families have lost their homes, thousands of acres of forest have been obliterated and turned into an ecological disaster site for years to come, and this is a request for $10k in donations to a school for teaching people who already know how to walk to walk? To a business which physically survived the disaster, where nobody died, and is presumably about to get busier? It's a "rescue center" that "partners" with the ATC right? It's a store and hostel right near where workers and volunteers are going to be busy all spring right? Aren't they really two businesses with the Woody Gap Outfitters and Hiker Hostel 40 miles to the south? I'm curious where I can make a donation to the families who have lost loved ones forever. I'm also curious if the A.T. hasn't hit a new low in the panhandling department. Remember when hiking was a sport of self-reliance and not one of total interdependence, co- dependence, and just plain dependence on others to finance your business related hiking exploits? This is poorly timed and in incredibly poor taste. In fact, it's abhorrent. Especially given that it is a place meant to set an example to would be hikers. Hiking and begging are becoming synonymous and socially acceptable within the so-called "hiker community" in just this way. While we're on the subject: I'm so stressed out I need two weeks on St. John to raise awareness about the dangers of rum infused fruit drinks - "send lawyers, guns, and money!"
+1
I won't be "donating"
AT hostels close all the time, business is business
What makes them so special?

Sethern
12-16-2016, 13:01
I will not give my opinion on the morality of this but I will give my experience after having stayed there earlier this year. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I did enjoy my stay when I was aloud to. The staff for the most part was friendly. On the other hand they seemed to have their heads up their bums when it comes to service. My stay there felt almost like a supervised children's camp. My first hour there I could not even get checked in because no one would even talk to me. They then spent more time telling me the rules than I had time to rest. And they some how lost my package that had been delivered the day I got there and was told that I was being rude for asking about it. (I had delivery confirmation. It arrived 20 minutes before I got there. $160 item I will never see again) And lastly a lot of what they advertise was not there. No talk with Bob. No foot soak, and no one to do a pack shake down. They advertised that it as somewhere to rest your feet and get great advice from people who have hiked the trail. There was none of that. It was just a cheep place to sleep that imo was a bit over priced.

SouthMark
12-16-2016, 13:13
I am somewhat confused, is this a private business or a charitable organization?. A donation usually implies its a charitable contribution that is deductible.

I am also confused. They are a 501c3 nonprofit organization but what I do not understand is how they how they got that classification from the IRS.

Emerson Bigills
12-16-2016, 13:19
If you love it, give. If you don't, don't give. No need to trash the guy's business.

I was planning to stay there this spring, so I hope he makes it.

trailmercury
12-16-2016, 13:31
I am also confused. They are a 501c3 nonprofit organization but what I do not understand is how they how they got that classification from the IRS.

My comment above was slightly off mark if they are indeed a Non-Profit...
Could they give vouchers for future stays/shuttles in exchange for donations, as mentioned above?

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 13:37
I was planning to stay there this spring, so I hope he makes it.[/QUOTE]

Umm, he did make it and so did his business(es). It sounds to me like he needs help surviving property taxes which are due Dec. 10 - two days after the ask.

capehiker
12-16-2016, 13:38
I'm a little confused. The trail closures came in November/December, after a record number year of thru hikers. Let's not forget Bob probably makes more off section hikers over the course of the entire year. So...if he is claiming this donation covers the cost of lost business, it is safe to assume ToG is making $10,000 a month? Or at minimum over two months? I'm pretty sure most hostels along the trail don't even get that revenue over 4 months. Something isn't adding up. I wish he would provide amplifying information as to just what that $10K covers.

Gambit McCrae
12-16-2016, 14:04
I strongly dislike TOG, and will not never ever in my ever stay there again. I will not be donating.

Secondmouse
12-16-2016, 15:59
this thread gave me anxiety so I'm setting up a Go Fund Me page to receive donations for a week at the beach. and margaritas.

please, be generous...

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 16:06
Bob is an OK guy who is also determined to market himself as a thru-hike guru and guidance advisor. For a price.

The hostel is not overpriced for what you get. I've found the folks to be friendly, but a little bit detached.

I don't think his original business model for the Hostel has panned out and suspect it never really will. I think it was going to be some hiker conference center of something like that...big plans...

Engine
12-16-2016, 16:18

This whole GoFundMe thing is, in my opinion, just one symptom of a shift in cultural attitude. I was raised in an environment where you keep what you earn and NO ONE owes you anything. In addition, if you acquired something through hard work, it was much more appreciated than if it was given. Earlier this year someone posed the question regarding a GoFundMe account to cover the cost of their thru-hike. Based on the tone of the OP in that post, I believe they were serious and thought there was nothing wrong with asking others to pay for their good time

This seems to be more of the same. Without going any further into it, let's just say that bailing out Chevrolet wasn't high on my list of smart moves. No business should be considered too big to fail and furthermore, how in the heck did this one achieve non-profit status with the IRS?

Hikingjim
12-16-2016, 16:18
Can't comment on the place or the owner, but it's a tough business and isn't a gold mine. Nothing wrong with throwing up a gofundme; people won't give you a dime if they don't see the value in your business or feel it's worth contributing to
I've seen many hostels, cabin retreat type places, etc, switch owners or be abandoned

MuddyWaters
12-16-2016, 16:27
This whole GoFundMe thing is, in my opinion, one just symptom of a shift in cultural attitude. I was raised in an environment where you keep what you earn and NO ONE owes you anything. In addition, if you acquired something through hard work, it was much more appreciated than if it was given. Earlier this year someone posed the question regarding a GoFundMe account to cover the cost of their thru-hike. Based on the tone of the OP in that post, I believe they were serious and thought there was nothing wrong with asking others to pay for their good time.

This seems to be more of the same. Without going any further into it, let's just say that bailing out Chevrolet wasn't high on my list of smart moves. No business should be considered too big to fail and furthermore, how in the heck did this one achieve non-profit status with the IRS?

++
The majority of money recieved by many people is likely from friends and family, that for some misguided reason, want to send Susie on a vacation because shes such a great gal and worked so hard in school.

My father in law passed away recently. Someone set up a go fund me page for my mother in law. She received about 10K from people that heard and donated. She got $500 from someone that was a friend of her brother, never met her.

Does she really need the money? Well, she got laid off about same time, but not really. Shes got kids who will take care of things for herr if needed, the life insurance $150K, retirement savings that are for 1 now instead of 2, shes not in any financial danger . Its just a gesture some feel good about.

Dogwood
12-16-2016, 16:28
Can't comment on the place or the owner, but it's a tough business and isn't a gold mine. Nothing wrong with throwing up a gofundme; people won't give you a dime if they don't see the value in your business or feel it's worth contributing to...

+1 I read through all those that donated. I personally know 5. They wouldn't have given a dime if they didn't see value.

I've heard offended and negative opinions regarding Greasy Creek Hostel, Uncle Johnny's in Erwin, Standing Bears Hostel, Elmer's Sunnyside Inn, Rusty's Hard Time Hollow, against the town of Damascus, The Place in Damascus, Bears Den Rocks Hostel, The Doyle, Jailhouse Hostel in Palmerston, Twelve Tribes of Rutland, Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff, the people of Hanover, The Andover House and The Cabin, White House Landing, GSMNP and S NP.... and on the PCT Ziggy Bears, Vermillion Valley Resort, and probably a few more I'm not immediately recalling AND NOT ONE OF THOSE OFFENDED OPINIONS OR NEGATIVE REVIEWS EVER PROVED TO DEFINE MY EXPERIENCES AT THESE PLACES OR WITH THOSE THAT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THOSE PLACES.

To each their own but other's 'own' doesn't have to define my reality.

JYOJ - Journey your own journey :)

Sidetrail
12-16-2016, 16:32
I have a reservation to stay the around April 10th. If I remember right, I had to pay in advance. I better check on that!

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 17:42
So, if I'm reading this GFM site correctly then hikers on the AT should call The Top Of Georgia Hostel if they have an on-trail emergency? You've got a bone sticking out of your leg (because you hike without poles) and you call Sir-Packs-Alot - "Appalachian Trail Conservancy trail rescue partner"? I've been down there at least a half dozen times I can remember and never heard that before.

If The Top Of Georgia Hostel is in fact an "ATC rescue partner" then wouldn't the ATC rescue their partner?

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 19:13
So, if I'm reading this GFM site correctly then hikers on the AT should call The Top Of Georgia Hostel if they have an on-trail emergency? You've got a bone sticking out of your leg (because you hike without poles) and you call Sir-Packs-Alot - "Appalachian Trail Conservancy trail rescue partner"? I've been down there at least a half dozen times I can remember and never heard that before.

If The Top Of Georgia Hostel is in fact an "ATC rescue partner" then wouldn't the ATC rescue their partner?

Where on the GoFundMe site do you see that TOG is an Appalachian Trail Conservancy Trail Rescue Partner? And, do you even know what that means?

I thought your were going hiking for a couple of weeks...had to catch a bus or something...and that your "work here is done"...and by work I suppose you were referring to how you brow beat a poor independent film maker into blurring out the ATC logo in their film...

Did you forward those gems to the ATC so you could get an ATTABOY for protecting their precious logo from the vagaries of independent films, you meddlesome freaking troll?

I can't speak for all of WB, but at least I was hoping you'd make a video on how to ascend Mt. Whitney in conditions that required hiking poles but not crampons, for safety. How did that work, again? Or at least stay away for longer than 4 or 5 days...

Speaking of trolls, there was a famous troll on rec.skiing.alpine on the ancient Usenet Newsgroups whose braggadocio and work history(drug counselor to prisoners) are identical to yours, not to mention syntax and vocabulary. If your initials in RL are S.B.A., why don't you save yourself the embarrassment and just mosey on down the line???

NinjaFace
12-16-2016, 19:37
in 2015, I and four other hikers came out on the road leading into Hiawassee and TOG van was sitting at the crossing. We approached the driver of the van, who we out later to be Bob. We asked him how much it would cost us,if he took us into Hiawasse. His response was, that unless we were going to the hostel he wasn't driving us anywhere. Within 10 minutes we caught a hitch in the back of a pickup truck to do a resupply, as we were hitchhiking back out of Hiwassee , the van passed us and pulled over, the driver this time wasn't Bob and he offered us a ride back to the trailhead for free... .. I won't forget that moment, so when it comes to times like this when someone's asking for donations because your business is in jeopardy.. I say let it sink

Tundracamper
12-16-2016, 19:44
The video was quite amusing. Touching music and pretty much zero content. Recreation facilities don't usually make my list of needy charities.

Puddlefish
12-16-2016, 19:46
The thing about spending my money, is that it's my money. Oh, the outrage, someone is spending their own money on something that you don't personally think is valid! I splurged on a takeout pizza this week! What an idiot I am, I should have sent that extra money to a charity of your choice!

So, donate, or don't donate, but save the preachy crap for elsewhere.

Sethern
12-16-2016, 19:47
If you love it, give. If you don't, don't give. No need to trash the guy's business.

I was planning to stay there this spring, so I hope he makes it.
This makes no sense at all. So if I go to a hamburger joint and get great frood I should shower them with praise. On the other hand if I get crappy service I should keep my mouth shut so as not to hut the mans business? The OP asked for our opinion. So if our opinion is not a glowing review we need to keep our mouth shut? Seems a bit off to me.

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 19:59
Where on the GoFundMe site do you see that TOG is an Appalachian Trail Conservancy Trail Rescue Partner? And, do you even know what that means?

I thought your were going hiking for a couple of weeks...had to catch a bus or something...and that your "work here is done"...and by work I suppose you were referring to how you brow beat a poor independent film maker into blurring out the ATC logo in their film...

Did you forward those gems to the ATC so you could get an ATTABOY for protecting their precious logo from the vagaries of independent films, you meddlesome freaking troll?

I can't speak for all of WB, but at least I was hoping you'd make a video on how to ascend Mt. Whitney in conditions that required hiking poles but not crampons, for safety. How did that work, again? Or at least stay away for longer than 4 or 5 days...

Speaking of trolls, there was a famous troll on rec.skiing.alpine on the ancient Usenet Newsgroups whose braggadocio and work history(drug counselor to prisoners) are identical to yours, not to mention syntax and vocabulary. If your initials in RL are S.B.A., why don't you save yourself the embarrassment and just mosey on down the line???

Wow. Where there is a circus there are bound to be clowns. Thanks for more laughs - I guess this says it all really! About your character: Charming, mature, and erudite! Sticks and stones laddie. The hike was lovely and thanks for asking, as ever I appreciate the review. I did get an attaboy from the ATC too by the way, but service is its own reward - as I'm sure you know. (I put 2 gold stars on my fridge chart!) It says right in the second paragraph of the shameless GFM beg that the TOG partners with the ATC and local authorities as a trail rescue center, and I'd just adore it if you could enlighten us all as to what exactly that means - I do so look forward to showering in a cascade of your wisdom oh wise one. Oh, and what exactly is a "troll" again?

Puddlefish
12-16-2016, 20:03
This makes no sense at all. So if I go to a hamburger joint and get great frood I should shower them with praise. On the other hand if I get crappy service I should keep my mouth shut so as not to hut the mans business? The OP asked for our opinion. So if our opinion is not a glowing review we need to keep our mouth shut? Seems a bit off to me.

By all means, give an honest review of the place...but, to call the guy abhorrent just for asking is flat out ridiculous.

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 20:09
Wow. Where there is a circus there are bound to be clowns. Thanks for more laughs - I guess this says it all really! About your character: Charming, mature, and erudite! Sticks and stones laddie. The hike was lovely and thanks for asking, as ever I appreciate the review. I did get an attaboy from the ATC too by the way, but service is its own reward - as I'm sure you know. (I put 2 gold stars on my fridge chart!) It says right in the second paragraph of the shameless GFM beg that the TOG partners with the ATC and local authorities as a trail rescue center, and I'd just adore it if you could enlighten us all as to what exactly that means - I do so look forward to showering in a cascade of your wisdom oh wise one. Oh, and what exactly is a "troll" again?

Where in the second, or any other paragraph, does it say anything about rescue?

I'm Bob Gabrielsen (trail name "Sir-Packs-Alot"), the director of Top of Georgia Hiking Center.

The Top of Georgia Hiking Center is a one of a kind school, community resource, think-tank and landmark - located only a 5 minute walk from the Appalachian Trail in the North Georgia mountains.

THIS YEAR - nature threw us a "curve-ball". The Center is currently reeling from the impact of a historic summer of drought and wildfires. This unexpected natural catastrophe forced authorities to close 70 miles of the Appalachian Trail adjacent to our facility. The wildfires came within 2 miles of our Center and put us into pre-evacuation status. Hiker traffic to our center came to a standstill. Water sources dried up and the closure halted any hiking in the area .

I am writing to ask that you please make a year-end donation to the Top of Georgia Hiking Center today.

Even now hope springs anew, and the rains are beginning to come. The Appalachian Trail will heal and again be full of hikers. Right now though, Top of Georgia Hiking Center is in a financial drought.

I know that those who love the trail and who may have stayed at TOG will consider making a donation to this important program.

Please consider making a contribution now and help us through this crisis.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Bob Gabrielsen

??

And, post your ATTABOY from the ATC! I am calling you out on it!!!! How did they get your email addy? How did they know it was you? How did they know anything at all? LMAO!!!!! Dude....you look stupid! And, I guess you are S.B.A....how in the world did a basement-dwelling troll from Seattle wind up on WB? Selling any more filthy used gear/clothing on Ebay these days?

Sethern
12-16-2016, 20:13
By all means, give an honest review of the place...but, to call the guy abhorrent just for asking is flat out ridiculous.
Again I will not give my opinion on the morality of the Gofundme. It dose seem that people find it to be in bad taste. That is just as much a valid complaint to them as getting bad service would be to others.

Mother Natures Son
12-16-2016, 20:14
All this reminds me of the handout (??) that the owners of the Doyles wanted about a year ago. Is it going to be the norm that most places (On the trail.) ask for some type of handout from all of us? Will it make the trail better or worse?

Puddlefish
12-16-2016, 20:24
Again I will not give my opinion on the morality of the Gofundme. It dose seem that people find it to be in bad taste. That is just as much a valid complaint to them as getting bad service would be to others.

Eh, everyone likes to draw the line in a different place. Criticizing someone for making a feel good donation to gofundme, is about as useful as criticizing someone for buying a convertible, getting a tattoo, or buying a pizza. By the same argument, I could say that spending one's money and free time on the hobby of hiking, instead of putting that time and money into something worthier! It's just a hypocritical concept to crap on how someone chooses to spend their money, without examining how we spend our own money.

Sethern
12-16-2016, 20:31
Eh, everyone likes to draw the line in a different place. Criticizing someone for making a feel good donation to gofundme, is about as useful as criticizing someone for buying a convertible, getting a tattoo, or buying a pizza. By the same argument, I could say that spending one's money and free time on the hobby of hiking, instead of putting that time and money into something worthier! It's just a hypocritical concept to crap on how someone chooses to spend their money, without examining how we spend our own money.
I am not so sure people are focusing on the people making a donation as much as the business doing the asking.

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 20:32

Fourteen people are dead from the fires. Hundreds of families are homeless and have lost all their worldly possessions, their identities - their family pets were cooked alive. Jobs are lost with livelihoods. Old growth forest which went from national treasure to disaster site overnight, will take years to return from being a barren erosion-prone moonscape to what it once was. Indeed it will take longer than you can expect to be alive to be what it once was. (Don't worry - we got a fact checker on duty here tonight.) And this guy needs ten grand because he had a drop in business? You have any idea how many businesses there are in Gatlinburg, or on-trail even, with the same troubles? ATC rescue partner my eye! Let's keep it real dog. Begging on-trail is the new normal and it is indeed abhorrent - what's ridiculous is that we're supposed to accept it. Check out page 3 of the ALDHA Summer Newsletter for a think piece on the subject, and a cartoon by an inspired artistic genius. What's even sillier is the off-topic bickering and name calling not germane to the subject at hand, and that there are petty agendas bent on obfuscating the truth in its very face without noble purpose of any kind whatsoever.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2016, 20:33
I am not so sure people are focusing on the people making a donation as much as the business doing the asking.

and the "business" is supposedly a non-profit

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 20:36

Hear! Hear!

As long as my kids are well-cared for and I provide my own funding for all of my life's necessities(health insurance, etc..), how I choose to spend my money(as long as it is lawful) is nobody's business other than mine. How much and on what isn't anyone's concern, but my own.

Now, I don't ink my body(cultural taboo) but my stepson does. I think it is a stupid waste of money, but I keep that belief to myself. He works hard for his money and if he chooses to spend his disposable income on indelible skin ink...so be it....its both HIS money and HIS body and he's an ADULT. While I don't agree with it, who the freak am I to criticize it? Nobody, that's who...just sayin...

Puddlefish
12-16-2016, 20:43
Fourteen people are dead from the fires. Hundreds of families are homeless and have lost all their worldly possessions, their identities - their family pets were cooked alive. Jobs are lost with livelihoods. Old growth forest which went from national treasure to disaster site overnight, will take years to return from being a barren erosion-prone moonscape to what it once was. Indeed it will take longer than you can expect to be alive to be what it once was. (Don't worry - we got a fact checker on duty here tonight.) And this guy needs ten grand because he had a drop in business? You have any idea how many businesses there are in Gatlinburg, or on-trail even, with the same troubles? ATC rescue partner my eye! Let's keep it real dog. Begging on-trail is the new normal and it is indeed abhorrent - what's ridiculous is that we're supposed to accept it. Check out page 3 of the ALDHA Summer Newsletter for a think piece on the subject, and a cartoon by an inspired artistic genius. What's even sillier is the off-topic bickering and name calling not germane to the subject at hand, and that there are petty agendas bent on obfuscating the truth in its very face without noble purpose of any kind whatsoever.

You have a serious issue with perspective. Top of Georgia did not cause the fire. The loss of life in Gatlinburg was tragic, but, it's a relatively rich community on the world wide scale. They'll recover and deal with their grief. There are millions of people in worse circumstances across the world.

If Top of Georgia wants to set up a gofundme account to buy booze and cigarettes, that's their business and not remotely related to the millions of people suffering in the world.

Don't try to tell me that you've never spent money on something stupid. Do you live in a cave, and spend all your time helping others? Are you planning on selling your computer and hiking gear, and donating it?

You have zero moral authority here. You are the one who started the off topic bickering. You and you alone are being preachy because you don't like the possibility that someone might spend their money on something that you personally don't approve of. That is some sick arrogance.

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 20:45
Where in the second, or any other paragraph, does it say anything about rescue?

I'm Bob Gabrielsen (trail name "Sir-Packs-Alot"), the director of Top of Georgia Hiking Center.

The Top of Georgia Hiking Center is a one of a kind school, community resource, think-tank and landmark - located only a 5 minute walk from the Appalachian Trail in the North Georgia mountains.

THIS YEAR - nature threw us a "curve-ball". The Center is currently reeling from the impact of a historic summer of drought and wildfires. This unexpected natural catastrophe forced authorities to close 70 miles of the Appalachian Trail adjacent to our facility. The wildfires came within 2 miles of our Center and put us into pre-evacuation status. Hiker traffic to our center came to a standstill. Water sources dried up and the closure halted any hiking in the area .

I am writing to ask that you please make a year-end donation to the Top of Georgia Hiking Center today.

Even now hope springs anew, and the rains are beginning to come. The Appalachian Trail will heal and again be full of hikers. Right now though, Top of Georgia Hiking Center is in a financial drought.

I know that those who love the trail and who may have stayed at TOG will consider making a donation to this important program.

Please consider making a contribution now and help us through this crisis.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Bob Gabrielsen

??

And, post your ATTABOY from the ATC! I am calling you out on it!!!! How did they get your email addy? How did they know it was you? How did they know anything at all? LMAO!!!!! Dude....you look stupid! And, I guess you are S.B.A....how in the world did a basement-dwelling troll from Seattle wind up on WB? Selling any more filthy used gear/clothing on Ebay these days?

Oh! So you're Sir-Packs-Alot! That explains alot - well Bob, I guess someone (the ATC) got on my feedback and you changed your GFM: VERY sneaky, that's what it said this morning! (I do solemnly swear it!) Thanks for cutting that humongous LIE out of your shameless beg! Hang on and I'll post my ATC attaboy! Wow that's awesome.

Puddlefish
12-16-2016, 20:51
Oh! So you're Sir-Packs-Alot! That explains alot - well Bob, I guess someone (the ATC) got on my feedback and you changed your GFM: VERY sneaky, that's what it said this morning! (I do solemnly swear it!) Thanks for cutting that humongous LIE out of your shameless beg! Hang on and I'll post my ATC attaboy! Wow that's awesome.

I'm fairly sure he just pasted a quote, without bothering to add in some quote symbols.

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 20:52
Here is my ATC attaboy from Javier Folgar.3745137452 Along with the stolen copyrighted material. I don't think your hostel is deserving of GFM donations in the face of a massive tragedy, (It's still standing!) And I think you should own up to having claimed to be an ATC "rescue partner". If you'd like I can post the letter I sent Mr. Folgar with regard to that bogus crookery also.

capehiker
12-16-2016, 21:04
He's not Bob. Bob has an account on here and can speak for himself. I'm sure someone will tip him off and he will be in to explain.

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 21:08
Here is my ATC attaboy from Javier Folgar.3745137452 Along with the stolen copyrighted material. I don't think your hostel is deserving of GFM donations in the face of a massive tragedy, (It's still standing!) And I think you should own up to having claimed to be an ATC "rescue partner". If you'd like I can post the letter I sent Mr. Folgar with regard to that bogus crookery also.

First of all, you freaking idiot, I am not Bob/SirPacksALot. For you to even remotely think I am is so absurd as to be...well...its you, so its actually not that absurd. You are a fool. Everyone can see that, except you.

You got a thank you from a marketing guy for a head's up. Way to go. You must be soooooo proud of getting a thank you for ratting out an independent film maker for some unintentional inclusion of the ATC logo in a tiny film that actually promotes the ATC...hmmmm.....that was smart of you, right? You helped the ATC, right? What a hero...

To think that I am SirPacksALot is incredibly hilarious....only a fool would think that...but...when the clown shoes fit...break out the seltzer spritzers!

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 21:11
By the way, here's why the GFM page was changed to reflect the truth re: the TOG's status as an "ATC rescue partner" - because at 3:25 this afternoon I blew it out of the water with a little fact checking. (No attaboy though!)37453

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 21:13
And, you were so proud of your rat job that you used your real name.

Did the ATC send you a patch? A sticker? A membership?

Because, now everyone here knows your name and associates it with idiocy, narcissism, and mean-spiritedness. Oh, and for being a fool on top of being a rat fink who believes hiking poles are a mandated safety item....

"Did you see that guy's post? What a Harrington!"

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 21:28
And, you were so proud of your rat job that you used your real name.

Did the ATC send you a patch? A sticker? A membership?

Because, now everyone here knows your name and associates it with idiocy, narcissism, and mean-spiritedness. Oh, and for being a fool on top of being a rat fink who believes hiking poles are a mandated safety item....

"Did you see that guy's post? What a Harrington!"

Wow. SMH. Thanks for showing us who you are son. A "Rat fink", okie dokie Jimmy Cagney. Yeah, I think it's wrong when crooks rip off hikers and the ATC under false pretenses. I'm an artist and I take copyright infringement seriously, and I take pandering to hikers already broke for their bucks total BS. Yup. I'm proud of having stopped it, and for not resorting to infantile name calling or personal attacks. What's a troll again?

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 21:39
You. You are a troll. Of the worst kind. You stick your nose in other people's business. You embark to harm people's business's because you don't agree with their business model due to some crazy sense of "propriety" or some such nonsense. You hold yourself out to be the guardian of good and the final word on such topics as..."hiking poles are required to hike safely" and hypocritically endevour to do so with outright lies of commission and omission.

You. Are. A. Troll.

You have no real life, no life partner, nothing. Your time is spent devising ways to make yourself seem important and think that by harming others in the name of "propriety" or "ethics" is doing good. It isn't. It's disingenuous and hypocritical.

Somebody got on me for "kicking him when he's down" after I proved you were nothing but hot air and lies. The truth is, I went easy on you. You are a fool, a liar, a braggart, a meddler, a whiner, a rat fink/tattletale, a narcissist and basically a poor excuse for a human being. In other words, A. Freaking. Troll.

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 21:49
You. You are a troll. Of the worst kind. You stick your nose in other people's business. You embark to harm people's business's because you don't agree with their business model due to some crazy sense of "propriety" or some such nonsense. You hold yourself out to be the guardian of good and the final word on such topics as..."hiking poles are required to hike safely" and hypocritically endevour to do so with outright lies of commission and omission.

You. Are. A. Troll.

You have no real life, no life partner, nothing. Your time is spent devising ways to make yourself seem important and think that by harming others in the name of "propriety" or "ethics" is doing good. It isn't. It's disingenuous and hypocritical.

Somebody got on me for "kicking him when he's down" after I proved you were nothing but hot air and lies. The truth is, I went easy on you. You are a fool, a liar, a braggart, a meddler, a whiner, a rat fink/tattletale, a narcissist and basically a poor excuse for a human being. In other words, A. Freaking. Troll.

Well, thanks for clearing all that up for me Sir-Packs-Alot. You're incredibly astute. I'd like to send you one thousand dollars to help with your delinquent property taxes, and I will - just as soon as I get my reward for ratting out the makers of that "Walk In The Woods" reboot with a completely overused title. I'm so sorry again for making you angry. Please, forget hiking poles altogether okay?

MuddyWaters
12-16-2016, 21:49
Children get put in time-out......

2. Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes use of illegal substances, racism, sexism, or posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt, mock, or assault the character of other members. Our policy does not protect people that choose to verbally assault other members that may disagree with them. In essence members can disagree but should remain respectful of the person they disagree with.

If youve never been in timeout, expect the first to last 3-4 wks, the second forever. Friendly advice.

If you dont like someone, put them on ignore. Theres another website composed of people placed on permanent timeout.

ScareBear
12-16-2016, 21:54
Again with the SirPacksALot...that is Bob. I am not Bob.

Am I allowed to say "And the fact that you persist in believing I am Bob and own TOG shows the world exactly how stupid you are?" Because, I am only telling the truth....

Sethern
12-16-2016, 21:56
and the "business" is supposedly a non-profit
You know I have to wonder about that. Sure did not seem like a non-profit when I was there. Then again I am not so sure I would know one when I saw it. Not knowing what they do with the $$ and all.

Mags
12-16-2016, 22:14
Thanks for the input. Further mud slinging between each other can go to PMs.

Alligator
12-16-2016, 22:14
Settle down folks. Scarebear failed to properly quote his his post. Sir-packs-Alot does have an account here and it is just like I spelled it.

We have permitted a rebuttal in the last post in this thread but that is all we have time for on this topic. Still gotta get a tree myself I'm sure others have more pressing tasks ahead.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-17-2016, 15:02
Hello everybody. I am Bob Gabrielsen - the director of the Top of Georgia Hiking Center. This thread asks: "Why is the Top of Georgia so "controversial" ?. There are a couple of reasons. 1) There is a current backlash against Gofundme campaigns: OK. We are currently doing one. If you want to kick me in the teeth for trying to keep my child alive (TOG) - that's your choice. I get it. It's embarrassing. 2) We set boundaries: Folks who work at TOG work long hours and we need to set boundaries for when we open and close / what we cost / how many work for stays and free stays we can do, etc. Sorry. Folks understand if you need to set a boundary for someone else - But NOT for them. The word "NO" has apparently become unacceptable and outrageous. I am sorry I cannot always say yes to everyone. 3) "I call them how I see them". I LOVE HIKERS AND THE TRAIL AND I CONSIDER MYSELF VERY BLESSED TO HAVE THE LIFE I HAVE. But ... please excuse me for saying ... IF the trail is being damaged, wildlife threatened, someones being rude to other folks, or a bad precedence for hiker establishments is being set - I am not helping the trail to "let it go". [/COLOR]We have simple rules at our place and sometimes a 1-2 day volunteer screws up. Sorry. Also - I tend to put my foot in my mouth a few times a year - sorry for that as well. Top of Georgia did not burn down - the fires came close but we were spared. Because our section of the trail (Dicks Creek Gap,GA) only opened up days ago and the drought and smoke kept day hikers, overnighters and sectioners away as well - business in 2016 was 1/3 that of 2014 and 2015. If you don't want to donate to our Gofundme campaign then DON'T. Don't help us ... do what you'd like. Call us at 706-982-3252. I would be happy to describe in the fullest of detail anything you'd like to discuss. 706-982-3252 - OR - I can keep tapping here as well ... but I'm a crazy optimist :)[COLOR=#333333]. THE TOP OF GEORGIA HOSTEL IS OPEN AND LIMPING ALONG BUT NOT UP FOR SALE. Happy Holidays ![