PDA

View Full Version : Sprint vs Verizon Phone Coverage

ldsailor
12-16-2016, 16:51
I have a Verizon phone, which got really good signal strength on the Appalachian Trail from Springer to south Virginia this year during a section hike. I plan to go back and continue north bound in 2017, but I'm thinking of changing to Sprint to get a lower cost.

So, my question is, anyone have first hand experience with Sprint on the AT? I blog as I hike and would hate to end up with coverage similar to AT&T, which is to say poor coverage if any.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2016, 17:28
I have a Verizon phone, which got really good signal strength on the Appalachian Trail from Springer to south Virginia this year during a section hike. I plan to go back and continue north bound in 2017, but I'm thinking of changing to Sprint to get a lower cost.

So, my question is, anyone have first hand experience with Sprint on the AT? I blog as I hike and would hate to end up with coverage similar to AT&T, which is to say poor coverage if any.

To answer directly, no

But whats important is Verizon roams on Sprint, an Sprint roams on Verizon.

Sprint is cheaper, and I have read in past (few yrs back) that roaming time is limited. If your spending all your time in Verizon area.....which rural is largely, you may have trouble. Talking to Sprint people would be a start.

If you already own your phone, check out Total Wireless.
I use Total Wireless, prepaid verizon MVNO.
It does not roam on other towers, so reception is less than pure verizon that does roam on sprint and regional carrier towers.
But...its $38 /mo incl tax for 5 gig 4Glte data. additional 3 gig of data is $10 , and doesnt go away if unused.
Upload and download speeds are capped , as with all MVNOs. Ive never had any issue with that. Works great for streaming video and music for me, and I dont upload anything regularly.

Verizon is more like 60/ mo for 2-3 gig data or so.
Total Wireless is pretty much the best deal out there I think if you like prepaid svc.

No international, but I use a VOIP to call international anyway , both ways.

Starchild
12-16-2016, 18:28
IIRC Vz has a prepaid $50/m u/l talk text, 5 gb data plan. Their prepaid service however may not get the same level of service as postpaid, not sure but I have heard that may be the case.

I would be interested to hear of Spring on the trail, I suspect it won't be good.

Also I have not heard about the roaming agreement between Sprint and Vz. I do know that both used the old, but still used CMDA standard (3G and below) and the (older non-sim card ) phones were interchangeable between these networks. For a while the only way you could get a iPhone on Sprint was to get it through Verizon, get it unlocked or jailbroken and then bring that phone to Sprint. But that does not speak to a roaming arrangement, and is quite obsolete as all have went to LTE as their main network. Lesser carriers/ resellers may be limited to these older networks however.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2016, 19:05
IIRC Vz has a prepaid $50/m u/l talk text, 5 gb data plan. Their prepaid service however may not get the same level of service as postpaid, not sure but I have heard that may be the case.

I would be interested to hear of Spring on the trail, I suspect it won't be good.

Also I have not heard about the roaming agreement between Sprint and Vz. I do know that both used the old, but still used CMDA standard (3G and below) and the (older non-sim card ) phones were interchangeable between these networks. For a while the only way you could get a iPhone on Sprint was to get it through Verizon, get it unlocked or jailbroken and then bring that phone to Sprint. But that does not speak to a roaming arrangement, and is quite obsolete as all have went to LTE as their main network. Lesser carriers/ resellers may be limited to these older networks however.

The only difference of MVNO is NO roaming,and data speeds are capped.
If you need help with your phone...help isnt as good. But I found email or online chat works way better than trying to call people.

$33.20 /mo + tax, 5 gig 4G LTE on Verizon

If you have compatible phone...I dont know of anything that can come close.

I first got it with a second phone because ATT service was nonexistent in a location I work at often. Found it overall so good for how I use phone, I totally switched. YMMV

Wifes family plan with ATT was $40(plus taxes and fees) for 2gb for my phone. She cant change that plan because my kids are grandfathered in still with unlimited data plan theyve had forever. My daughter uses probably 20gb per month somehow. The 2 gb worked for me until I put new stereo with pandor and spotify apps in my truck...now I use a lot more data listening to music, podcasts, etc driving. Most of the data is skipping songs I decide I dont like actually.

ldsailor
12-17-2016, 11:20
Thanks for the info and especially about the prepaid services. I'm going to look into that. I did ask Sprint about coverage area and the salesman told me to go online and look at their coverage map. I tried that with the IE and Chrome browsers and neither showed coverage for anywhere in the USA. I guess the web page is broke or Sprint doesn't have coverage in the USA.:D

MuddyWaters
12-17-2016, 11:40
Thanks for the info and especially about the prepaid services. I'm going to look into that. I did ask Sprint about coverage area and the salesman told me to go online and look at their coverage map. I tried that with the IE and Chrome browsers and neither showed coverage for anywhere in the USA. I guess the web page is broke or Sprint doesn't have coverage in the USA.:D

Unfortunately coverage maps lie.
Where I had to get verizon phone for work is clearly shown in att coverage.

Reality was virtually no att service for 60 miles, except stray bars that wasnt enough to make or receive calls most if time. There was a little in middle of small towns, sometimes could get signal depending which side of hotel was staying on.

Town has walmart...they didnt even bother to sell ATT prepaid phones, or straighttalk that worked on att.

Basically expect maps to be exxagerated

ldsailor
12-17-2016, 12:18

Reality was virtually no att service for 60 miles, except stray bars that wasnt enough to make or receive calls most if time. There was a little in middle of small towns, sometimes could get signal depending which side of hotel was staying on.

Town has walmart...they didnt even bother to sell ATT prepaid phones, or straighttalk that worked on att.

Basically expect maps to be exxagerated

Well, I finally got the Sprint coverage map to show coverage in my Chrome browser, but after reading your post, I realize it was a waste of time. Sure hope someone with Sprint sees this thread and gives me some first hand info.

MuddyWaters
12-17-2016, 12:34
theres a cell site that shows actual towers and who owns them.
doesnt show coverage, but you get idea based on who has most towers

Ive used that to decide what phone service to bring on trips when I still had both att and verizon

today with verizon world phone, can actually have two sim cards and have both at your disposal. I put in gsm local sim card overseas, and use voip with the data for long distanced international calls. I get 12gb for $30 in middle east. 7gb is $18 . Facebook is free. Americans get reamed on cell phone cost , like prescription drugs , healthcare, and everything else.

Engine
12-18-2016, 07:06

Reality was virtually no att service for 60 miles...Basically expect maps to be exxagerated

Well said, I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon because on prior section hikes I would see people happily using their Verizon phone while my AT&T service was useless on a daily basis. I have no experience in the northeast, but down south AT&T was effectively a waste of money.

I was told by someone very knowledgeable in the communications field the coverage maps are not fully tested. They are actually created from a theoretical coverage area based on line of site from the towers and best case meteorological conditions which might, in perfect conditions, allow for a minimum usable 1 bar signal.

Basically, AT&T is saying if the stars were in alignment and you stood on one foot with your finger in your ear, you might get coverage in that spot.

ScareBear
12-18-2016, 08:17
Sprint is really hit or miss coverage from Springer to Clingman's. The closer you are to an Interstate or a real town, the better your chances are. Based on experience, it only hits around 20 percent of the time. YMMV. Sprint is much better once you get farther north out of WVA...

Everyone with Verizon RAVES about the coverage on the AT in those Southern sections. I am thinking of getting a cheap prepaid Verizon phone for just that reason...

MuddyWaters
12-18-2016, 09:28
One other difference I remembered with verizon mvnos like total wireless, is you arent allowed simultaneous voice and data . you cant look up something on internet while on phone. very minor imo, but may be important to some.

Also if have own verizon phone, might not get same OTA updates for it any longer. Verizons pretty slow with that anyway.

I can use my moto x as hotspot though. Occassionally do that for tablet.

mushdog
01-09-2017, 05:31
I'm new to Whiteblaze, I apologize if I don't do this correctly.

I have a question on the same topic. However I'm looking into if anyone has experience with google FI cell phone coverage on the AT. It looks like the other option is Verizon prepaid. We are planning to do a southbound section hike through the 100 mile wilderness.

Thanks for any input.

MuddyWaters
01-09-2017, 07:27
Google fi uses tmoble, sprint, and wifi.

It will be poor.

egilbe
01-09-2017, 07:51
Google fi uses tmoble, sprint, and wifi.

It will be poor.

It uses US cellular, too. I can get coverage with Fi that I couldn't get with ATT. And I saved $30 a month.