PDA

View Full Version : Joyce Kilmer fire update

TNhiker
12-16-2016, 17:07
This was posted on the Partners of Joyce Kilmer facebook page...

"I had a chance yesterday to work with the USFS folks conducting a damage assessment as a result of the fire in the Joyce Kilmer. While we worked together, these figures are mine, not the final ones from the assessment. As a general statement, some 24 miles of trail, including 17 miles in Designated Wilderness, were damaged by the fire. To me, it looks like 60-70% of that length will need to be repaired or restored. The fire damaged or destroyed the trail tread in large areas, and there are many fire-damaged trees over and across the trails. The Cheoah District is addressing the immediate safety issues, but a full restoration is several years off. In the meantime, we are posting temporary vinyl signs to aid in navigation. For the next several months, I would suggest that hikers avoid the Naked Ground Trail, Deep Creek Trail, Jenkins Meadow and Jenkins Meadow Connector Trails in their entirety. Also, the Haoe Lead Trail between Naked Ground Trail and Hangover Lead Trail is likely heavily damaged and difficult, if not impossible to follow. The wind chill yesterday at elevation was below zero, so we were not able to hike the entire lengths. The Memorial Loop is passable, with three large trees (one pictured) across the path. Most of the hand railing along Santeetlah Creek has been damaged or destroyed, and I would suggest avoiding the Lower Loop between the Parking Area and the Naked Ground Trail Junction (ie, the right-hand trail as you leave the Parking Area. Just go across the bridge up to the Memorial Rock, then hike the Upper Loop and return the same way."

clusterone
12-17-2016, 00:32
Thanks for the info. Sad.

generoll
12-19-2016, 11:00
how about the Slickrock Creek Trail from the river to Big Fat?

TNhiker
12-19-2016, 11:46
how about the Slickrock Creek Trail from the river to Big Fat?

wellllllllllll........................thats not in the joyce kilmer wilderness but in the adjoining slickrock wilderness.....

my guess is that they have not done a full assessment of the area to see the damage..........