PDA

View Full Version : REI Tents

Jeepdad70
12-16-2016, 18:17
Does anybody know who makes tents for REI? I am considering the quarter dome 3 but It looks just like one of the big agnes tents so I wasnt sure if big agnes was the manufacturer. I have tried a google search but havent come up with squat.

johnnybgood
12-16-2016, 19:02
I know a few years ago their tents were made overseas in Taiwan , with strict guidelines to abide by REI Specs.

pilgrimskywheel
12-16-2016, 19:26
Rollergirl and I are still using a Quarterdome 1 which we love. (PCT, AT, CDT) It was made in Viet Nam, so I'm guessing that the 3's are too. It's funny because we've been talking about an upgrade for X-mas. I gotta say I've used all different types: Big Agnes Fly Creek & Copper Spur, North Face Chrysalis bivy for solo trips (thanks Smokes!), I really like a Spit Fire too, etc., etc., and the Return Everything Incorporated Dome is the winner!

nsherry61
12-16-2016, 19:29
Well, BA probably doesn't actually manufacture their own tents. I expect they are contracted out like almost everything else. Both tents might be made by the same contractor, although, I doubt it.

The REI Quarterdomes truly do look almost identical to the BA Copper Spurs at first glance, but actually, there are quite a few small differences and they are not at all the same in all the little details. Some of the features on the REI tents are a little nicer or more convenient, some the the BA feature differences are nicer or more convenient. The REI tents are significantly less expensive.

FWIW: The BA tents are slightly lighter. The REI vestibules are smaller. The inner tent doors on the BA tents open a little easier. The poles on the REI tent are all connected whereas the cross pole at the top of the BA CSII (at least prior to this year's new HV model) is not attached to the rest of the poles, so I find it annoying how often I drop my cross pole while setting up or taking down my tent. There is vent on the fly on both tents that can be accessed from inside the REI tent via a small zipper opening that the BA tent does not have, so you can't adjust the BA vent without going outside.

In the end, I use my BA Copper Spur more than my REI Quarterdome, probably because of the little bit of weight savings, the vestibule size and because having paid more for it I figure it should be better so I should use it preferentially. How's that for logic!