PDA

View Full Version : Smokies Permit

bamboo bob
12-17-2016, 09:46
The GSNF requires getting a thru-hiker permit online in a thirty day window prior to entering the Smokies. If on a SOBO trek, where do people do that ? Can it be on a phone now even though it says paper permit must be carried. Thanks for any knowledgeable replys.

Venchka
12-17-2016, 10:06
NOBO, SOBO same procedure. Print the permit anywhere you can find a printer. Library, Kinkos, etc.
The library in Hot Springs, NC is on the AT. Why don't you call them and ask if you can print your permit there?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-17-2016, 10:50
I imagine most hostels are letting people print.

Your real question is can you use phone, ala airline boarding passes, etc. I dont know. I can see youd be in a pickle if phone dief.

NPs is slow to embrace technology too, and it opens pathways For abuse that cant be easily verified in field. I would bet Answer is no, but also that some backcountry rangers haver encountered people and Let them slide.

Slo-go'en
12-17-2016, 11:45
Hot Springs is where you traditionally picked up the permit for the GSMNP. Bluff Mt outfitters or the library should do the job. You must have a paper permit, part of it gets deposited into a box as you enter the park.

bamboo bob
12-17-2016, 12:14
Hot Springs is where you traditionally picked up the permit for the GSMNP. Bluff Mt outfitters or the library should do the job. You must have a paper permit, part of it gets deposited into a box as you enter the park.

Thank you ,that's
helpful.

Venchka
12-17-2016, 12:28
You're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain Man
12-18-2016, 10:02
I believe in going straight to the horse's mouth. I recommend calling the backcountry ranger office for a knowledgable reply. I have found them extremely helpful with my questions, and I don't have to sift chaff from wheat off the Internet, and hope I've judged correctly.

pilgrimskywheel
12-18-2016, 19:25
Standing Bear Farm dude! Permits, parking, shuttles, cheap bunks, showers, and PBR talls.

ldsailor
12-21-2016, 17:36
Hot Springs is where you traditionally picked up the permit for the GSMNP. Bluff Mt outfitters or the library should do the job. You must have a paper permit, part of it gets deposited into a box as ykou enter the park.

Ditto. I entered at Fontana NOBO in April and had to put the permit in a box at the trailhead.

bamboo bob
12-21-2016, 20:46
Ditto. I entered at Fontana NOBO in April and had to put the permit in a box at the trailhead.

That's what we did in the "old" days when we self registered. But now mainly they want $ so it's workable just not quite as easy. This is my fourth E to E and the bureaucracy has sure increased.

TNhiker
12-21-2016, 21:55
That's what we did in the "old" days when we self registered. But now mainly they want $ so it's workable just not quite as easy. This is my fourth E to E and the bureaucracy has sure increased.

you can thank all the people who broke various rules for these changes......

and even ones that sued the park over the changes.......

Dogwood
12-22-2016, 17:44
Permits are available here (http://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=1). A permit may also be obtained in person at the park’s Backcountry Office (at the Sugarlands Visitor Center near Gatlinburg) or over the phone, with permits issued by fax, mail or email. Hikers staying overnight in the backcountry are required to have a printed copy of the permit. For more information, call 865.436.1297.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/multi-day-hiking/permits-and-regulations

That leaves a wide range of options to have your permit. It's not hard unless you start thinking it's hard to apply for and obtain your AT GSMNP Permit.

There have been posts, and maybe threads, that detail the abundance of ways an AT thru-hiker can get their permit. I'll offer one more for NOBOers. The Fontana Village Resort allows thru-hikers to print out their permits from a computer in the lobby.

BillyGr
12-22-2016, 19:52
A permit may also be obtained in person at the park’s Backcountry Office (at the Sugarlands Visitor Center near Gatlinburg)

This is the only thing that seems strange - if they are willing to issue permits in person, why not have them where they would be more easily attained (say at the entry points from North and South) rather than off the trail and in a town that is somewhat in the middle of the section of trail that runs through the area where the permit is needed?

TNhiker
12-22-2016, 20:12
Two reasons---

one---all they do is print via and computer and a printer which honestly can be done in any town...

two---the backcountry office is for the entire park and not just the AT......along with it being staffed mainly by volunteers......

Dogwood
12-23-2016, 02:24
This is the only thing that seems strange - if they are willing to issue permits in person, why not have them where they would be more easily attained (say at the entry points from North and South) rather than off the trail and in a town that is somewhat in the middle of the section of trail that runs through the area where the permit is needed?

Because although the AT can be likened to a beautiful brunette worthy of our attention there are beautiful and worthy blondes, redheads, and grey haired beauties too. ;)

Starchild
12-23-2016, 09:09
The permit process is actually quite easy, even on trail. You need a paper permit because you need to separate the lower section (or upper, I forgot) and leave it in the box at the north or south end, date both with your entry date and have your 7 days to get thru. This shows not only your date but provides proof of your NoBo entry.

Practically if you tried but couldn't get a paper copy, and explain but have a digital copy with your permit number, which can be checked via radio, I would guess that they would understand. Perhaps taking a pick at the entry box with a date stamp would help, at least prove you made the effort and had the intention.

TNhiker
12-23-2016, 10:44
And if one starts from springer (or anywhere 30 days out)----it can be printed beforehand....