12-17-2016, 17:42
Link to segmented stuff sacks.
https://gobigear.com/collections/gobi-gear-all-products?avad=7185_fd2f9c03

Engine
12-18-2016, 06:41
Link to segmented stuff sacks.
https://gobigear.com/collections/gobi-gear-all-products?avad=7185_fd2f9c03

"Designed in the US, imported from China"

It's an interesting concept and maybe one of our cottage industry manufacturers will see this and give it a go. It would be nice not to have to completely dump my clothing stuff sack every time I wanted to find a particular item.

jjozgrunt
12-18-2016, 07:08
I don't need another sack to know where my gear is. Everything goes to the same place every day. More weight for no real advantage, for me. May work for others.

They do not on their site say if the material is silicone impregnated or not, if it's not water proof (supposedly) then you have to stick it in another bag (garbage bag or whatever you use), in the pack. Being a draw string instead of roll top means it is not really waterproof even if the material is impregnated.

Not being bitchy here just raising some points that would have to be considered for a through hiker.

Now if they were to make this out of cubin, seam sealed and with a roll top then I would say it's an excellent idea. Might give it a go then.

HeartFire
12-18-2016, 09:58
"Designed in the US, imported from China"
I've seen this on a lot of stuff lately - esp. REI clothing - is this supposed to make you feel good about it? IDK. It irks me to see that - so you employ one person, a designer in the US.

MuddyWaters
12-18-2016, 10:07

Puddlefish
12-18-2016, 10:35
I'm in the minimal stuff sacks, no compression sacks camp. This just seems like a way to have more stuffsacks, that are just sewn together. I like to avoid the fixed sized lumps that leave big gaps in the pack.

RockDoc
12-18-2016, 15:09
Segmented stuff sacks for $30 each?

It's a solution to a problem that does not exist...

One Half
12-18-2016, 15:27
Segmented stuff sacks for $30 each?

It's a solution to a problem that does not exist...

exactly. ^^^this^^^

SouthMark
12-18-2016, 16:19
I'm in the minimal stuff sacks, no compression sacks camp. This just seems like a way to have more stuffsacks, that are just sewn together. I like to avoid the fixed sized lumps that leave big gaps in the pack.

Ditto........

rocketsocks
12-18-2016, 23:07
Corsett for a brick

MuddyWaters
12-18-2016, 23:15
If you need the organization inside a stuffsak, you got too much stuff.

JumpMaster Blaster
12-19-2016, 02:18
I got one of these in a Cairn box.

cmoulder
12-19-2016, 09:22
I got one of these in a Cairn box.

So somebody came to the same conclusion after using one... the makings of a ULer there, lol. ;)

saltysack
12-19-2016, 10:07
A pack is one big stuff sack...line it and your done...I don't get the whole stuff sack concept...seems counter productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secondmouse
12-19-2016, 10:08
I don't need another sack to know where my gear is. Everything goes to the same place every day. More weight for no real advantage, for me. May work for others.

They do not on their site say if the material is silicone impregnated or not, if it's not water proof (supposedly) then you have to stick it in another bag (garbage bag or whatever you use), in the pack. Being a draw string instead of roll top means it is not really waterproof even if the material is impregnated.

Not being bitchy here just raising some points that would have to be considered for a through hiker.

Now if they were to make this out of cubin, seam sealed and with a roll top then I would say it's an excellent idea. Might give it a go then.

not everything has to be seam sealed and submersible. and even though it does share weight economies of common sides and a single closure, I don't think it's intended for the UL crowd...

the appeal for this is the "a place for everything and everything in its place" types. some will appreciate it, some will not.

Secondmouse
12-19-2016, 10:32
A pack is one big stuff sack...line it and your done...I don't get the whole stuff sack concept...seems counter productive.

well it's nice to not have your toothbrush, tape, spare batteries, bug repellent, decoder ring, frape blender, etc. all rattling around in the bottom of your pack. a small drawstring bag works for me.

this design does remind me of something I have thought about though - a clothes bag with a partition sewn into the middle. the partition is soft and loose enough so that the bag can be fully loaded on either side. when loaded with clean clothes, they are all put on one side. as they get dirty, they go in the other. you can have clean and dirty together in one bag at the same time but separated from each other.

genius, I know... :sun

cmoulder
12-19-2016, 10:46
the appeal for this is the "a place for everything and everything in its place" types. some will appreciate it, some will not.

If you don't carry too many things you won't need too many places. :sun

I have a ditty-type bag for toiletries, FAK and repair (some tiny stuff sacks and ziplocs within that to keep stuff separated) and a sack for food, one for clothing/gloves and one for my Duplex. And I use a small cuben sack to keep my cook kit together. There's simply no way a single, compartmentalized sack is going to work for that.

saltysack
12-19-2016, 11:07
well it's nice to not have your toothbrush, tape, spare batteries, bug repellent, decoder ring, frape blender, etc. all rattling around in the bottom of your pack. a small drawstring bag works for me.

this design does remind me of something I have thought about though - a clothes bag with a partition sewn into the middle. the partition is soft and loose enough so that the bag can be fully loaded on either side. when loaded with clean clothes, they are all put on one side. as they get dirty, they go in the other. you can have clean and dirty together in one bag at the same time but separated from each other.

genius, I know... :sun

I guess I'm lying I do use a cut down tyvek envelope with a few small ziplocks to separate items such as first aid, fire starters, tp, tb etc......stays in outside mesh pocket of pack....cook kit, has a rubber band and around it inside Zpacks food bag w food....I'm referring to little items in main pack body....heavier packs with all the separate compartments would require more stuff sacks to keep gear dry but find that it's counterproductive on UL packs with one main compartment.....

Lynnette
12-19-2016, 11:44
Well, I actually made a divided stuff bag once. It was rectangular with the long side to the top and sewed a dividing seam down the center to avoid having a second bag, instant retrieval and avoid messing up what I was carrying. It was silnylon and I did not seam seal the dividing seam, but it worked for what I need to carry at the time. I no longer need to carry those items so the bag has retired. I would like to figure out a hitch inside my food bag for my spoon to be near the top. Any ideas for that one?

Secondmouse
12-20-2016, 15:07
I guess I'm lying I do use a cut down tyvek envelope with a few small ziplocks to separate items such as first aid, fire starters, tp, tb etc......stays in outside mesh pocket of pack....cook kit, has a rubber band and around it inside Zpacks food bag w food....I'm referring to little items in main pack body....heavier packs with all the separate compartments would require more stuff sacks to keep gear dry but find that it's counterproductive on UL packs with one main compartment.....

haha, I knew that...

Secondmouse
12-20-2016, 15:07
Well, I actually made a divided stuff bag once. It was rectangular with the long side to the top and sewed a dividing seam down the center to avoid having a second bag, instant retrieval and avoid messing up what I was carrying. It was silnylon and I did not seam seal the dividing seam, but it worked for what I need to carry at the time. I no longer need to carry those items so the bag has retired. I would like to figure out a hitch inside my food bag for my spoon to be near the top. Any ideas for that one?

a mini czrzbiner?

H I T C H
12-21-2016, 10:12
I would like to figure out a hitch inside my food bag for my spoon to be near the top. Any ideas for that one?

Is your food bag a roll top dry bag ? If so could you attach a string to the spoon and then let the string hang out of the bag as you rolled and closed the top ?

Just brainstormin' here :)

Hitch