PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my son on the trail!

Backpkrmn
12-17-2016, 22:05
So I have 3 boys, one has gone out backpacking with me a few times, spent time on the Appalachian Trail and the Palmetto Trail with me. My youngest son wants to go, but I have to find the right trip, and the right time of year to make sure he enjoys it (short attention span). I learned the first couple of trips that when taking younger kids you need to have plenty of activities planned when at camp.

My oldest son hasn't gone out with me yet, and not because I haven't asked. Last night I put together a video and he joined me for part of it. He agreed during the video that if people liked the video, and 90 people clicked the thumbs up, "like", of the video, he would join me for a trip.

I have only been filming and putting together videos since August, so I don't have any with my middle son, but I won't miss any more of these trips. If the video gets the likes, and he joins me, I'll be sure to document the whole thing to share with everyone. So please, go to my channel, subscribe if you like what you see, but be sure to click the thumbs up like button to get him out on the trail with me! Thanks for the help!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLW8k5FMXu4

RockDoc
12-18-2016, 01:36
Wrong reason to go for a hike IMO.
If he doesn't want to go, don't make him go.

Backpkrmn
12-18-2016, 09:54
Wrong reason to go for a hike IMO.
If he doesn't want to go, don't make him go.

He'll enjoy it once we get out there. It's just getting him on the trail that has not happened. He's getting to the age where he's starting to "know" more than his parents. I am trying to find things we can do where we can get out, away from his friends and spend some quality time. He agreed to it, it was his idea if you watch the video.

Trillium
12-18-2016, 09:55
I enjoyed your video. Consider this a LIKE. I'm not signed up on YouTube so, sorry, can't like it there.

Little note to Justin: just go backpacking with your Dad once and if you don't like it, then you won't have to go again. But maybe wait for some decent weather.

Puddlefish
12-18-2016, 10:15
Any trail at all for the youngster. The older kid essentially lost a bet, don't punish him for that. Keep that hike really short.

The male brain isn't fully developed until age 25, but you still have to trust him to make his own decisions and learn from the stupid ones as well as the smart ones. They want their independence, and if you don't grant that independence, they'll find a less constructive way to grab it anyway.

My youthful hiking experience consisted of being a Webelo being bullied by the boy scouts on a camping trip. Toss the kids into the woods, it will be good for them! Beware of doing more harm than good, when you force the issue.

Hope this isn't too preachy, have fun with your kids!

Hikingjim
12-18-2016, 10:40
He agreed to it, it was his idea if you watch the video.

his idea? Clearly you put into his head things like # of subscribers, # of views/likes, etc, should somehow relate to him going on a hike.
But I don't necessarily disagree with getting kids out there even if they resist, as long as it's well designed (likely high on fun, low on bugs and mileage). My daughter has always resisted a bit, now she is the one convincing me to add more days to trips and she likes to choose our sites (proximity to cliff jumping seems to be her top criteria!). This change only occurred in the last 18 months or so

Greenlight
12-18-2016, 13:03
Brain development is an overused theory.

Just my opinion. :)

Any trail at all for the youngster. The older kid essentially lost a bet, don't punish him for that. Keep that hike really short.

The male brain isn't fully developed until age 25, but you still have to trust him to make his own decisions and learn from the stupid ones as well as the smart ones. They want their independence, and if you don't grant that independence, they'll find a less constructive way to grab it anyway.

My youthful hiking experience consisted of being a Webelo being bullied by the boy scouts on a camping trip. Toss the kids into the woods, it will be good for them! Beware of doing more harm than good, when you force the issue.

Hope this isn't too preachy, have fun with your kids!

MuddyWaters
12-18-2016, 13:12
Brain development is an overused theory. There was no such concept as adolescence as a time of extended childhood until mass schooling became all the rage. Men (fifteen and sixteen years old) were happily going to work every day, putting food on the table, building things, having meaningful friendships, getting married, raising children, and getting on just fine with their massively underdeveloped brains well into the 20th century.

This whole B.S. generation is beyond SMH. Beyond absurd. When there was still respect and common sense, a dad would say, "get your boots, son, we're going on a hike" and the kid would get his boots and say, "yes, sir" and they'd go out and have quality father and son time. Nobody was hurt, and nobody needed therapy afterward, even if it rained, because we weren't a bunch of spoiled, entitled, lazy ass wusses.

Just my opinion. :)

Yep
Throughout the last few thousand years people were married and had kids as teenagers. My great great great grandmother got married at 15. My GGG grandfather was 27 at the time. They had 11 kids. When she died she was 85.

As our society has gotten more complicated and we need more education to be successful, our views on a lot of things are greatly different from our ancestors. Whose right? 10,000 yrs of human history? or the last 100?

Theres a lot of sense in "keep doing what got you here"

No, I dont espouse having children work though. It still happens in many parts of the world though and is necessary for people to survive. Our views are skewed because our lives are so cushy...and its not necessary....HERE. Most of the world lives in abject poverty.

Puddlefish
12-18-2016, 16:44
It's like you people deliberately try to misunderstand my words. Every generation ever has rebelled, and eventually ended up as old men yelling at clouds. Nothing has changed.

Backpkrmn
12-18-2016, 17:56
It seems many think I'm forcing him to go. I talked with him about this today, and he said he wants to go. If he had told me he really didn't want to go, I would not force him to go. He came up with this on his own. I did not plant this in his mind, it just happened while we were talking and filming.

Thanks for looking out for his best interests though, I know it was all in the best intentions. I think he's excited that the video is already half way to the 90 likes. He helps me with the YouTube stuff from time to time on the back end, but this was the first time he was on a video. Seems this was what it took to excite him about it.

Water Rat
12-18-2016, 18:08
It seems many think I'm forcing him to go. I talked with him about this today, and he said he wants to go. If he had told me he really didn't want to go, I would not force him to go. He came up with this on his own. I did not plant this in his mind, it just happened while we were talking and filming.

Thanks for looking out for his best interests though, I know it was all in the best intentions. I think he's excited that the video is already half way to the 90 likes. He helps me with the YouTube stuff from time to time on the back end, but this was the first time he was on a video. Seems this was what it took to excite him about it.

If the video is what excited him about the trip, what about telling him he can be the cameraman? I get the wanting to share your love of the outdoors with him...perhaps he might take greater interest if some of the things he loves were intertwined in the trip?

Does he like to build things? Help him build his own stove, or make something he can use on the trip. Let him make a video explaining how he made it, how it works, etc. Just an idea to combine his interests with yours.

Backpkrmn
12-18-2016, 18:15
If the video is what excited him about the trip, what about telling him he can be the cameraman? I get the wanting to share your love of the outdoors with him...perhaps he might take greater interest if some of the things he loves were intertwined in the trip?

Does he like to build things? Help him build his own stove, or make something he can use on the trip. Let him make a video explaining how he made it, how it works, etc. Just an idea to combine his interests with yours.

I like it. I found that with my middle son, it was getting him into doing some Geocaching. He loves mixing the two. Set up camp and go hunting for caches.

swisscross
12-18-2016, 19:57
I have two girls. My youngest backpacks with me, the other has no interest.
Please tell, why would one force something on someone else?
Relesh the idea that two of of your boys want to enjoy the outdoors.

MuddyWaters
12-18-2016, 20:35

Good luck with it.
My son started going with me when he was 10-11.
He has always carried full pack and hiked UL, he has never known any other way
(This did create some issues when he packed with scouts. Mostly that he couldnt stand their way of doing everything "wrong ".)

His first trip was an overnight...14 miles with full water carry
His second trip was a 2 day 27 miler including steep terrrain with many water crossings.
His third was 2.5 day on the AT, 43 mile at age 11
He was scoffing at many thruhikers and their slow pace and heavy packs. Not to mention a guy in a skirt..
At 15 he was getting mad at me for holding us up, while hiking 20 mile days.

Buy them quality light gear, keep packs light, and they can hike with anyone.
Theres no need to treat them like babies. They arent.

rocketsocks
12-18-2016, 22:38
The hard parts over, as you said, "he wants to go"

rocketsocks
12-18-2016, 22:48

Does he like to build things? Help him build his own stove, or make something he can use on the trip. Let him make a video explaining how he made it, how it works, etc. Just an idea to combine his interests with yours.i like it, Bravo!
...and tell him it's customary for the camera man to carry the water...kidding.

Backpkrmn
12-19-2016, 13:31
and tell him it's customary for the camera man to carry the water...kidding.

I like your style!

rocketsocks
12-19-2016, 14:43
I like your style!Well I figured watermelon was out of the question...don't wanna tip your hand to soon. :D