PDA

View Full Version : Post fire - charred trail locations

Tundracamper
12-18-2016, 14:55
Planning a two-night trip in the next week or two. Would like to start at Winding Stair and go north to NOC. How can I find out if there is much charred trail and where it is charred? I don't particularly want to camp in a place that smells like a fire pit, particularly after some recent sinus procedures.

Mr. Bumpy
12-18-2016, 15:06
I can't answer your question but there is a common sense rule about not camping in areas of recent burn especially in the wind and rain because trees can easily come down either because of damage or they can come up by the root ball. This past fall I spend time hiking around Hot Springs where a fire went through early in the spring. 5-6 months post fire it was easy to tell where the fire was especially hot. Where it was hot it was as if the characteristic of the soil had changed and a number of trees had come up by their roots. In the areas where it wasn't so hot the undergrowth was already returning. The former looked potentially dangerous while the latter did not.

soilman
12-18-2016, 18:28
I can't answer your question but there is a common sense rule about not camping in areas of recent burn especially in the wind and rain because trees can easily come down either because of damage or they can come up by the root ball. This past fall I spend time hiking around Hot Springs where a fire went through early in the spring. 5-6 months post fire it was easy to tell where the fire was especially hot. Where it was hot it was as if the characteristic of the soil had changed and a number of trees had come up by their roots. In the areas where it wasn't so hot the undergrowth was already returning. The former looked potentially dangerous while the latter did not.

Soils differ in their ability to withstand damage to fire based on their texture (amount of sand, silt, and clay), amount of rock fragments, and organic matter. If fires are hot soil can be damaged and become hydrophobic or water repellent. Hot fire of prolonged duration can damage tree roots. Hydrophobic soils are prone to increased runoff and erosion.

Dogwood
12-18-2016, 19:01
LaurieP and TNHiker so graciously recently posted AT trail conditions/closures, and I pulled up another forestry service map of fire impacted areas. IMHO, that's what you should be reviewing. http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/gatlinburg-fire-map-tennessee-chimney-tops-2-maps-locations-active-fires-where-landmarks-smoke-mountains-photos-arson/

Tundracamper
12-19-2016, 11:00
That site doesn't appear to cover the area south of NOC. I'd hate to drive 6 hours and then hike 8 miles to get stuck in a 5 mile stretch of charred trail. Is there no historical info on the parts of the trail that got burned? If a section got any fire, I'd prefer not to camp there. If it's a 25 mile stretch, I'll hike elsewhere.

TNhiker
12-19-2016, 12:29
i think alot of the areas that have been burned still havent been assessed to see what kinda damage was done.....

but, i would think the ATC, when they receive said information, will be the best source for at least the AT....

might want to check out the forest service pages for those areas to see what they say about it..

for most of the fires, the forest service was the lead agency on the fires...

then the state's forestry divisions as well.....

daddytwosticks
12-19-2016, 17:25
These affected areas are right in my backyard. I wish I had time to hopscotch around doing day hikes in these areas to get a feel for how much damage has been done. Maybe after the New Year? However, by that time, maybe some early thru hikers will be able to report on trail conditions. :)

BSADad
04-30-2017, 11:01
Checked out the map below and it has a pretty good showing of the areas affected by the fires ...was wondering if anyone had feedback as to just how bad the damage was on the trail?

Having hiked charred sections of woods before I would rather let the area heal some before putting in miles with a pack.

Thanks.

LaurieP and TNHiker so graciously recently posted AT trail conditions/closures, and I pulled up another forestry service map of fire impacted areas. IMHO, that's what you should be reviewing. http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/gatlinburg-fire-map-tennessee-chimney-tops-2-maps-locations-active-fires-where-landmarks-smoke-mountains-photos-arson/

Patrickjd9
04-30-2017, 15:21
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/trail-updates

I hiked Winding Stair Gap to NOC as two day hikes this spring, and the worst damage was north of Burningtown Gap, with significant damage starting north from Wayah Gap.

ATC lists the following:
State ​A.T. miles Section
NC 6 Winding Stair Gap (mile 109.5) to Wayah Gap (115.4)
NC 13.1 Deep Gap (85.1) to Mooney Gap (98.2)
NC 3.1 Wallace Gap (106.4) to Winding Stair Gap
NC 6.4 Wayah Gap (115.4) to Licklog Gap (121.8)*
NC 7.9 Tellico Gap (128.9) to Wesser/Nantahala River (136.8)

*Significant damage to the historic Wayah Bald Observation Tower (mile 119.6) built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, in this section.

BSADad
04-30-2017, 17:24
Sad ... did ~50 miles with my son the week before he went to college on this section of trail. Beautiful area that I am sure will come back given some time.

Here is the beginning of a recount of the area from a NOBO thru-hiker via TrailJournals.net: http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/556066

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/trail-updates

I hiked Winding Stair Gap to NOC as two day hikes this spring, and the worst damage was north of Burningtown Gap, with significant damage starting north from Wayah Gap.

ATC lists the following:
State ​A.T. miles Section
NC 6 Winding Stair Gap (mile 109.5) to Wayah Gap (115.4)
NC 13.1 Deep Gap (85.1) to Mooney Gap (98.2)
NC 3.1 Wallace Gap (106.4) to Winding Stair Gap
NC 6.4 Wayah Gap (115.4) to Licklog Gap (121.8)*
NC 7.9 Tellico Gap (128.9) to Wesser/Nantahala River (136.8)

*Significant damage to the historic Wayah Bald Observation Tower (mile 119.6) built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, in this section.

needaride
06-09-2017, 09:50
on way up to Wesser from NOC a couple of weeks ago 395763957439575
No smell though

Lauriep
06-09-2017, 10:41
If anyone is interested in helping with the rehabilitation of the fire-damaged areas, you can join the ATC's Konnarock Crew when they work on them this summer.

A detailed schedule of the Konnarock Crew projects is the ATC website at http://appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/advocacy/trail-management/trail-crews/konnarock-trail-crew.

The local trail club has already done some work, but more is needed.

There is an application process that takes a little while, so now would be a good time to apply, especially if this is your first time. Crews sometimes fill up so the earlier you can get yours in, the better. There's no charge for being on the crew. Food, training, and safety gear is provided, also space at base camp. Volunteers often bring their own tents, but gear is available if you don't have it.

More info about the crew program (and all the other crews up and down the Trail, some of which operate through October, can be found at www.appalachiantrail.org/crews.

Working on trail crew is an incredibly rewarding experience. It's hard work, but you'll never look at the trail in the same way. I think hiking gets easier, because suddenly the footpath under you gets so much more interesting when you have an idea of the human hands and sweat that went into every step.

FreeGoldRush
06-09-2017, 20:01
This doesn't answer your question directly, but this week I hiked through the fire damage areas south of Winding Stair Gap and into the fire damage area in GA just north of Plum Orchard Gap. Many of the camping areas had clearly been used. The undergrowth in the forest in all areas was very good. Hardwood trees appear to be alive and well. Rhododendrons were badly damaged unfortunately. It looked like some areas did better than others. So I think it is hit or miss. There certainly is fairly clean camping in those fire damage areas in places.

Tundracamper
06-10-2017, 09:23
If anyone is interested in helping with the rehabilitation of the fire-damaged areas, you can join the ATC's Konnarock Crew when they work on them this summer.

A detailed schedule of the Konnarock Crew projects is the ATC website at http://appalachiantrail.org/home/conservation/advocacy/trail-management/trail-crews/konnarock-trail-crew.

The local trail club has already done some work, but more is needed.

I skimmed through that list, but didn't see much labeled "fire repair." Do you know what they are going to do? I recall some of the ridgeline trees north of Wayah being completely charred. I'm guessing those trees will start falling soon, which seems like it would make a real mess. Are they going to start clearing the trees or are they not really dead?