PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite mountain gear southwest

AfterParty
12-18-2016, 17:06
I'm looking for some feedback on hyperlite southwest pack. I would deffinitly go for black version. I am looking at possibly buying one after Christmas. They seem to have only very high reviews and none poor which either means their great or selecting good stuff. Im just looking for some user feedback

Dogwood
12-18-2016, 18:48
Which HMG Southwest version? it is available in 2400, 3400, and 4000. In the HMG Southwest 3400(55L) version compared to the 55L ZP Arc Blast it's a more simplified pack with less that can go wrong. The HMG SW 3400 has very good durability, well built, and with some nice features for a light/UL Dyneema Composite pack. I like that. I like that the hip belt pockets come standard with the pack compared to the 55L Arc Blast which adds on another $45 to fit it with hip belt pockets a feature I enjoy on a pack. I like HMG has just lowered the cost even more in the 3400 by $49.50 to $280.50 which makes it a very attractive Hybrid Cuben(Dyneema Composite) costs saving alternative to the ZP 55L Arc Blast that would cost $370 w/the add on hip belt pockets. Where I think the ZP 55L Arc Blast has it over the HMG 3400 is in the wider shoulders straps, better beefier hip belt, and most significantly the trampoline back 'Flexed Arc' frame. On humid hot hikes I prefer not messing with virtual pack frames to keep pack material off my pack. The ZP Arc Blast is my preference for hot weather hiking. For alpine, cooler weather, and truly remote backpacking/mixed trips I prefer the HMG. I own the 55L Arc Blast but have only demoed the HMG Southwest 200 and 3400. If you don't need or desire the 'Flexed Arc' ZP feature and are going to stay within the Southwest 3400 design parameters(haul wt, etc) hard to beat teh Southeast at this reduced cost.

Both the 55L Arc Blast and the HMG 3400 Southwest are now seam taped but just to nitpick a bit I've personally observed more of the seam tape loosening on the HMG packs compared to the ZP packs.

Dogwood
12-18-2016, 18:49
...2400, 3400, and 4400

Dogwood
12-18-2016, 18:51
...keep pack material off my back.

AfterParty
12-18-2016, 18:53
3400 should be big enough I think.

Dogwood
12-18-2016, 18:54
spell checker incorection mania

colorado_rob
12-18-2016, 21:09
Looks like a fantastic pack, ive been eyeballing this one myself. I spent one night in a long trail shelter recently with a guy who carried one, the 2400 i believe, in white, for a pct thru, and he was raving about it. He was squeezing a long trail thru in before heading to thru the Ti Araroa in new zealand, in ither words, a seasoned thru hiker.

What would you be using it for? Tha 2400 has nearly 50 liters capacity when the huge external pouch is included. And why black vs simple white? Extra weight and cost, what do you get for that?

AfterParty
12-18-2016, 21:35
The black is a thicker fabric so in theory should last longer and be stronger. I'm not to worried about the weight differential. It will be used for my thru. And many other trips. The extra space will be nice as a hammocker. And some day venturing into canister country and dry dessert. Its my thought process. Plus white will be not white in very long.

Venchka
12-18-2016, 22:20
Black seems like it would be a solar oven. On the other hand you won't be toting ice cream.
The lack of load lifters bothers me. Does anyone have experience with these packs and stability without load lifters?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-18-2016, 23:19
Its a good pack. Ive met a few people with them.

The pockets dont appeal to me.

Im a ULA and zpacks get/replace water bottles -in-side pockets-with-one-hand-while- im-walking type hiker.

Pockets seem a little high for that and elastic on top edge looks like might make it hard to replace. Bottom of pocket is about 2" above bottom of pack and belt.

That said, ive never tried one. I might be surprised. Supposed to have very good suspension and load capacity.

capehiker
12-19-2016, 00:32
The biggest negative I've read about the packs is the pockets are not very big. I also read a review on Reddit that caught my eye which the reviewer states having the cuben against your back can create a slimy feeling in hot weather since the cuben is water proof and does not breathe. Additionally, he stated that condensation built up within the inside of the pack.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2016, 04:50
. Additionally, he stated that condensation built up within the inside of the pack.

This is what I try to inform people about when they think they dont want a pack liner in a cuben pack. Its worse than a more breathable pack. If air is humid, quick temperature changes can make inside wet. My clothing and down gets most air squeezed out and twisted up in liner to minimze issues with this.

I think all packs do this to some extent. Fabric packs breathe a bit, have less condensable moisture inside, but soak up the moisture and just feel damp. Cuben gets film of water inside that can transfer to gear inside. Its not much...but its noticeable.

AfterParty
12-19-2016, 14:50
I would deffinitly still use a pack liner of some type no matter what pack I settle on. Thanks for responses keep them coming.

Dogwood
12-19-2016, 15:10
That's the first I've heard of condensation building up inside a cuben fiber backpack and a situation I've never experienced personally. I wonder if the condensation that is being refereed to was caused by storing wet or damp items inside the pack especially a pack that's basically WP made of hybrid CF and seam taped? I don't think the condensation issue is a concern if you aren't placing wet and damp items inside the pack and closing it up. In some of my early days I did exactly this with Dyneema fabric packs and had condensations inside the pack. Don't place wet and damp stuff inside a pack not separated into fully WP sealed stuff sacks I think is the lesson to be learned here not that hybrid CF packs per say have condensation issues!

VT-Mike
12-19-2016, 16:31
I have the Windrider, looks like the Southwest except for the pockets are mesh. I like this pack and have used it on six to eight hikes varying from one to four days long. It carries and fits nicely, is very functional and has no unnecessary fancy features. The roll top took some getting used to. When fully unrolled reaching the bottom can fill like crawling into a hole. Thing that I might not get used to is a major sweating back. The pack material does not breath and offers little ventilation. In warmer weather (above ~60F) this causes my back to sweat excessively and even saturated my shorts on one occasion. Without prompt washing can lead quickly to monkeybutt.

AfterParty
12-19-2016, 22:19
Thanks for the responce. I'm glad to hear its comfortable. What kinda weights have you carried in it

tflaris
12-20-2016, 01:16
Love mine. Been using it while traveling/hiking in Thailand. Southwest 2400. White does get dirty fast.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/81699a193a5b119b9d01a1c8aa80dbe2.jpg

Engine
12-20-2016, 07:27
That's the first I've heard of condensation building up inside a cuben fiber backpack and a situation I've never experienced personally. I wonder if the condensation that is being refereed to was caused by storing wet or damp items inside the pack especially a pack that's basically WP made of hybrid CF and seam taped? I don't think the condensation issue is a concern if you aren't placing wet and damp items inside the pack and closing it up. In some of my early days I did exactly this with Dyneema fabric packs and had condensations inside the pack. Don't place wet and damp stuff inside a pack not separated into fully WP sealed stuff sacks I think is the lesson to be learned here not that hybrid CF packs per say have condensation issues!

That was my first thought as I read that as well. The moisture has to come from somewhere and since the cuben or dyneema is already WP (when seam sealed), the water has to come from a source already inside the pack. What little air is trapped inside with the gear hardly seems able to contain enough water vapor to amount to a noticeable condensation inside the pack.

VT-Mike
12-20-2016, 09:44
Thanks for the responce. I'm glad to hear its comfortable. What kinda weights have you carried in it

I've carried 10 up to 35 lbs. Oh yeah the cuben can be noisy, especially when new.

AfterParty
12-20-2016, 20:46
thanks now I gotta see how much Christmas money I get.

saltysack
12-24-2016, 22:08
http://www.thehikinglife.com/2016/11/review-hyperlite-mountain-gear-2400-southwest-backpack/

la.lindsey
12-24-2016, 23:16
I'll chime in (Have I already? I can't remember). I've carried my southwest 3400 for over 500 miles now, in disgusting summer conditions and currently in southeast winter (hello from stanimals!). Never had a problem with it feeling slimy, but the way my summer load fits it kind of arches off my back. My winter load is fuller and it fits closer (and warmer). YMMV.

It doesn't stay super white, but I think it does still look pretty sharp, even without any special treatment.

Haven't had any condensation issues, but I do use stuff sacks for organization and as a backup against water (I've found that recently it's a little less waterproof than it was when I first got it).

I have no problems putting water bottles in one handed when it's not stuffed to the gills. It takes a little finessing right now, with my winter load. Spring/summer/fall, it's great. I'm an extremely cold sleeper though, so most people would think I'm going overkill on what I carry. I also like to keep a lot of stuff handy, so that outside pocket is usually pretty stuffed. Not for any particular reason. Just dumb crap.

I dunno. I really like it. I added bungee cord on the outside pocket for wet stuff and my pee rag. Otherwise it's pretty solid.

Here's an artsy picture of my dumb hair and my awesome pack walking skyline in the Shenandoahs the other day, munching on an icicle. Note how cool this pack looks.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161225/96520397d78332e38e300cf2e5106f6e.jpg

fastfoxengineering
12-25-2016, 22:43
I really want to like HMG packs, especially since there about an hour from where I live. I've never seen one in person.

Does anyone else agree or think they're kinda heavy for a "cuben ultralight" pack?

...maybe it's just me

AfterParty
12-26-2016, 17:54
LA.Lindsey thanks for the input. I do think I'll be ordering now while they are on sale.

Cheyou
12-26-2016, 18:24
http://sectionhiker.com/hyperlite-mountain-gear-2400-southwest-backpack-wins-section-hiker-gear-of-the-year-award/

thom

peakbagger
12-26-2016, 19:20
I have run into few folks who are real hard cores in the whites who swear by HMG packs. The white versions definitely get decidedly off white after use. They are high quality product with a price to match proudly designed and made in Maine.

Dogwood
12-26-2016, 22:46
Bad hair and icicles sounds like a song title or broadway play. :)

AfterParty
12-27-2016, 14:29
Well I did I ordered the black 3400!!! Merry Christmas to me! I will let ya know how it is when I get it pretty excited.

colorado_rob
12-27-2016, 19:50
Bad hair and icicles sounds like a song title or broadway play. :)

Sounds more like a good hoppy IPA to me... Burp...

Dogwood
12-27-2016, 23:33
CO micro IPA or a Dylan song title from his Christmas album. :)

tflaris
12-28-2016, 10:42
After a week of hiking in Thailand I'm even more in love with my HMG SW 2400.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/9141473c6de3ca211a4fb6adfe8db39c.jpg

AfterParty
12-30-2016, 19:21
Well my black southwest 3400 showed up today.!! First impressions are very good with about 25-30 it feels great going to have to take a trip to really test it out I didn't fill it with 3 season gear but it will be fuller once I get a 0* under quilt. Gonna have to play with my loadout a little bit but I'm happy with the pack so far. Time will tell for sure