PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Virginia that's NOT on the AT

YoungBloodOnTrail
12-18-2016, 22:39
Hey guys, I've hiked pretty much every section of the AT in VA multiple times and am sarting to look for other trails in the area to explore. Anyone have suggestions for good spots in Virginia NOT on the AT? I live in Richmond so Central VA is best.
Thanks guys!

Furlough
12-18-2016, 22:47
Absolutely great trails in SNP that are not part of the AT. Although you can use the AT as a connector to string together longer hikes. Moormans River - AT Loop is good hike. This is in the Southern part of the SNP.

Furlough

eggymane
12-18-2016, 22:50
The app AllTrails is excellent for finding trails, I travel a lot so I use this app constantly.

Furlough
12-18-2016, 23:01
2 More in SNP - Big Meadows, Hawksbill, and Rose River circuit and Pocosin, Laurel Prong, and Slaughter trails circuit.

Dogwood
12-19-2016, 01:17
Check out some Jefferson and Washington Nat Forests maps. Easy to get anything from a day hike to a 150+ mile loop on the MT Rogers Nat Rec Area Nat Geo TI Map. Mt Rogers isn't just the AT nor is Shenendoah NP

New River Tr State Park is one on my radar. In WV near the VA/WV border are several nice trails in the New River Gorge and Pipetsem Nat Scenic River Areas and surrounding areas.

Virgil Creeper Trail.

Iron MT Tr.

Recently Tipi posted some shweet pics of his camps on Wilburn Ridge speaking of which he's prolly out right now playing kissy face with Mrs Nature as we're tapping away. Expect him to have another nice trip report shortly with as always his great pics.

1-2 day: Hungry Mother SP and Cascades Nat Rec Area including an out and back to Barneys Wall makes a nice week end.

Dogwood
12-19-2016, 01:18
Meant to say Bluestone Nat Scenic River Area near Pipestem.

chknfngrs
12-19-2016, 08:20
Massanutten Trail in GWNF is an 70ish or 80ish mile circuit. Not as popular which raises it to spectacular.

Tuscarora Trail, same thing.

Shorter hikes: anything in Wolf Gap, Stuart's Draft (or Ramsey's Draft), Elliott Knob, goshen pass

Majortrauma
12-19-2016, 09:25
Dolly Sods is fantastic!!! Highly recommend it but you need to know what you're doing and be able to read a map.

rustmd
12-19-2016, 11:04
www.midatlantichikes.com
great hiking info for PA, MD, WV, VA.
.com

ki0eh
12-19-2016, 12:07
http://www.greateasterntrail.net/maps-trail-descriptions/virginia/

ki0eh
12-19-2016, 12:09
https://www.hikingupward.com/

lckeeper1
12-19-2016, 18:01
Great sites, all of which I use pretty regularly. I would put another shout to Ramsey's Draft. Great loop hikes, though the hemlocks are suffering and mostly dead. Camping at the springs is quite beautiful. Dolly Sods is also spectacular!

jeremys
12-20-2016, 16:27
Roaring plains wilderness and Dolly Sods. Beautiful, mostly unmarked trails. A GPS with waypoints isn't a bad idea.