PDA

View Full Version : quinoa breakfast on the trail

devoidapop
12-19-2016, 06:29
I really like quinoa mixed with dehydrated fruit for my hiking breakfast. It has about twice the calories of instant oatmeal, but I can't see wasting the fuel to boil it for 15 minutes or lighting a fire just to cook breakfast.

Any recipes for "instant" quinoa?

Engine
12-19-2016, 07:28
Heat extra water the night before when you make dinner. Make the quinoa with that and put it in something like a Nalgene bottle insulated with a sock. If you keep it in your sleeping bag (maybe in a big ziplock for safety prior to adding the sock), it should still be warm enough to enjoy the next morning.

MuddyWaters
12-19-2016, 08:15
I like a lot of things that are simply too difficult or too much hassle on trail, so I dont eat them.

First breakfast for me is something to eat while walking
Second is granola/milk powder At first real 20 min break.

I actually like eating dry oatmeal. It turns to chewy mush in mouth. Never tried it with other things. I wouldnt be crazy about cold wet mush soaking overnight personally.

ScareBear
12-19-2016, 08:21
I like a lot of things that are simply too difficult or too much hassle on trail, so I dont eat them.

First breakfast for me is something to eat while walking
Second is granola/milk powder At first real 20 min break.

I actually like chewing on dry oatmeal. It turns to Chewy mush in mouth. Never tried it with other things.I

Am actually agreeing with Muddy on the granola/powdered milk. Nothing better on a nippy morn than a hot steaming cup of blueberry granola with powdered milk after that first cup of coffee, just before shouldering the pack...ahhh....

nsherry61
12-19-2016, 12:15
I really like quinoa . . .
We all have our weird little idiosyncrasies. We won't hold it against you. ;)

If you have, or are interested in getting, a food drier, you might be able to make yourself some pretty awesome pre-cooked quinoa that meets your needs.

Sarcasm the elf
12-19-2016, 12:58
I know it's not the same, but they do sell instant quinoa flakes that are similar that rehydrate a mashed potato type consistancy. Just a thought

devoidapop
12-19-2016, 14:31
I think cooking the grains and then dehydrating them is worth a try. if not, there's always good old muesli and dry milk.

Dogwood
12-19-2016, 14:54
There are options and solutions to lower fuel usage for various foods for quick prep on trail. Don't mind the naysayers. Although often stated it takes quinoa 15-20 mins to cook quinoa that doesn't have to be the case. On trail I'll pre soak as Engine stated and cook for 10-12 mins. Just like most directions that say to cook pasta in a roiling boil for ?? mins hot water cooks the food in itself if you turn off the fuel usage, cover, and let sit. Quinoa is often cooked until very soft. That's fine but it doesn't have to be cooked to that extent all the time. For quicker cook b'fast on trail I like it little more "al dente" made more like a porridge rather than the liquid it was cooked in all evaporated.

Easy enough to also lower fuel usage if your on trail b-fast includes a variety of low cook time, no cook, and longer prep time b'fast options in however long the resupply. You can do the same thing for dinners or lunches. Some morns are a no fuel use no cooking morn. When I'm anal about lowering fuel use I balance fuel use out by choosing a warmed b'fast with a non cooked dinner. Or, I'll have a warmed b'fast and choose a warmed dinner option but make dinner over a very small very contained fire that is mostly coals.

Had to search for it but I remembered a great quinoa post by Sarah KirkConnel on BPL that easily shows how quinoa in bulk can be dehydrated to cut on trail cook time. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/10970/ The one thing I would add to Sarah's post is to gently toast the quinoa to bring out its nutty flavor before dehydrating.

Quinoa is a great food staple that some segments of the U.S. population are not yet very familiar with but they should be because quinoa has all 9 essential amino acids, high in protein, very high in complex carbohydrates YET low on the glycemic index(18), high in fiber, good amounts of iron/magnesium, has 14-15% of the calories coming from fat(think about that and that's without adding anything to raise the fat content), and is gluten free. That makes quinoa despite a longer cook time so worth considering particularly among the hiking community who are sometimes lacking nutrition as they succumb to gorging on empty calorie junk foods.

Quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, millet, oats, and some types of highly nutritious rice are typically on my cold weather B'fast menu.

Quinoa porridge:

quinoa, nuts(sliced almonds, walnuts, or pine nuts but chopped macadamia nuts are something different), dried milk(try powdered coconut milk, Native Forest brand is the best I've ever had!, isn't mostly maltodextrin as many brands are!), dried fruit(freeze dried bananas or Trader Joes Smashed Banana is great with the walnuts and a dash of cinnamon, dried blueberries, dried apple crisps w/ a dash of cinnamon/crushed cloves and some dried ginger and nuts is a great option),...

I usually add a bit of shelled hemp seed, fresh flax seed meal, and/or chia seed. It all adds up to a nutritional b-fast powerhouse without the added sugar.

Cinnamon(awesome for hikers!), cloves, ginger, fats/fiber from nuts, natural sugars contained in dried fruits and the dried powdered milks for some sweetness, antioxidants, good fats, good carbs, fiber rich low glycemic index food is available. Better to know where you're food comes from and what's in it than resorting to prepackaged foods ceding personal food responsibility to someone else who rarely has your own best welfare as their primary goal

Buying in loose bulk from bulk bins which I've been noticing more increasingly usually saves money. Costco has bulk Organic quinoa that avgs out to about $4/lb that is one of the lowest prices for ORGANIC quinoa I've seen. This beats the price of non Organic quinoa I've seen in most places.

QiWiz
12-20-2016, 15:43
I have used quinoa flakes as an oatmeal substitute rather than whole quinoa. Rehydrates in hot water just as easily as instant oatmeal.

Venchka
12-20-2016, 16:34
Another bogus phrase for cooking pasta, instant rice, rice noodles, ramen, etc. Add pasta, etc. to boiling water. B.S. Add the stuff to be cooked to the pot with water. Light stove. Bring to a boil. Experiment to figure out what ratio of boiling water to steeping in an insulated container. Increase stove time as altitude increases.
Hint: There is a valid reason for using freeze dried meals at high altitude.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-20-2016, 20:56
Another bogus phrase for cooking pasta, instant rice, rice noodles, ramen, etc. Add pasta, etc. to boiling water. B.S. Add the stuff to be cooked to the pot with water. Light stove. Bring to a boil. Experiment to figure out what ratio of boiling water to steeping in an insulated container. Increase stove time as altitude increases.
Hint: There is a valid reason for using freeze dried meals at high altitude.
Wayne

Yep
Adding pasta to pot, and heating to boil, then soaking in bag results in pasta that is just... decently edible..to me. little hard, but mostly OK.
Better than just freezer bag
No way Im boiling for 10 minutes like directions will say

Dogwood
12-20-2016, 21:22
Whole quinoa is already a $4/lb item, maybe more. When whole quinoa is processed further into flakes the price increases even more by something like 40-80%. The flakes cut the prep time considerably though. That makes the flakes a pricier b'fast food staple fro me. Whole quinoa is one of those staples that can work both for b-fast and as a dinner staple.

Venchka
12-20-2016, 22:07
Couscous and high end rice Ramen are looking good to me for quick cook food.
I'm Knorr Sides and tuna freezer bag challenged.
Wayne

devoidapop
12-20-2016, 22:20
Wayne

My brother introduced me to shin ramyun this year on a trip in VA. It's definitely a staple from here on.

I like to soak lentils with cloves and a cinnamon stick while I hike and then heat them up with my couscous. Add some coconut oil or bacon fat and I'm in heaven.

Dogwood
12-20-2016, 22:30
I like to soak lentils with cloves and a cinnamon stick while I hike and then heat them up with my couscous. Add some coconut oil

This is how uncomplicated it can be. Simple, hearty, filling, & not exceedingly costly.

While cous cous cooks quicker than whole quinoa all cous cous is are little balls of pasta. Exceedingly greater overall nutrition with quinoa than cous cou. Like you add the lentils, spices of clove and cinnamon, and coconut oil into the cous cous to boost the nutritional profile. That made me hungry. :)

Dogwood
12-20-2016, 22:47
Wayne ..

http://www.koyonaturalfoods.com/koyo-ramen2 I get these for a little under $1 per 2.1 oz package. I need two. Add some fresh sprouts and whatever else to smartly boost the calorie/oz ratio.

http://www.lotusfoods.com/index.php/products/rice-ramen/millet-brown-rice-ramen-miso-soup/ These are about $2 at Target for the Brown Rice and Millet version in the 2.8 oz size cheaper than WholeFoods. I see them on occasion for $1-1.39 each when I pick up dozen or more. 1 1/2 packages of these is good for a dinner. Add some peanuts and soy sauce boost the calories.

Both are no added MSG/MSG free but that does not necessarily mean all varieties are low in sodium.

Venchka
12-21-2016, 10:06
Thanks. Target is handy. Earth Fare is a bit far, but I'll stock up while I'm in the neighborhood. I don't do Whole Foods.
I do have access to the Australian brand of Japanese noodles in East Texas. Instant refried beans are everywhere. Doesn't everyone know what couscous is? I prefer them to instant mashed potatoes, but will eat the potatoes. I have yet to master the Knorr Sides in a bag. All that said, I'm really close to no cook eating. About 2/3 no cook.
Wayne

H I T C H
12-21-2016, 12:54
Speaking of quinoa ; these quinoa bites from Costco are really good.

Not enough calories for a breakfast and not warm, but they are delicious and they travel well.

Hitch

Odd Man Out
12-21-2016, 18:16
I am personally not a big fan of quinoa. But if you want to go for it, by all means do so. I cook all sorts of meals that call for 15 minutes of cooking just by bringing to a boil, turn off the stove, and let set in pot cozy for 15 minutes. In most cases it cooks fine and is still too hot to eat. It takes no more fuel than bring water to boil (well not much more).

However, you might want to check your sources. The nutrition profile for quinoa and oats are almost identical:

Odd Man Out
12-21-2016, 18:17
oops, only loaded one image: Here are both.

Odd Man Out
12-21-2016, 18:18
Well I'm having trouble. Sorry: Here they are. Oats have more fiber. These are both for 100 g serving.

garlic08
12-21-2016, 18:44
...However, you might want to check your sources. The nutrition profile for quinoa and oats are almost identical...

Ditto this. Grain is grain, roughly 4 Cal/g uncooked. Cooked might be different.

Dogwood
12-21-2016, 19:35
I don't know what those nutritional labels pertain to or where they come from. I see no ingredient or product list.

Grain is not just grain. Different grains can have different national profiles. Nutrition is more than calories, carbs, protein and fats.

Where cooked quinoa excels is in overall nutrition over cooked rolled oats. In one cup cooked quinoa is 222 cals, 39 grams of carbs, 8 grams of protein with all 9 essential amino acids, 5 grams of fiber, 4 grams of fat plus a host of vitamins.
https://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-benefits-of-quinoa/

One cup cooked oatmeal is 158 cals, 27 grams of carbs, 6 grams protein NOT having all 9 essential amino acids, 4 grams of fiber, 3.2 grams fat plus some vitamins with rolled oats having the edge in Fe and B6 content.

Quinoa is not a grain or cereal grain. Quinoa is a seed sometimes referred to as a pseudo seed. Oats are a grain and can undergo varying degrees of processing just as quinoa goes from its whole form to a further processed flake form.

What one might do is extend the quinoa flakes, which are more expensive than either whole quinoa or rolled oats, by mixing with quick cook rolled oats. That's what I've done.

This pertains to simple quinoa and oats no other ingredients that might be added in a packaged affair.

Dogwood
12-21-2016, 19:40
Different grains can have different nutritional profiles.

Again, this is for unfortified 1 cp cooked comparisons.

Here's where I took my 1 cp cooked oatmeal data oatmeal nutrition (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=oatmeal+nutrition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

This is a good site for making nutritional comparison. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1597/2

garlic08
12-21-2016, 19:59
Different grains can have different nutritional profiles.

Again, this is for unfortified 1 cp cooked comparisons.

Here's where I took my 1 cp cooked oatmeal data oatmeal nutrition (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=oatmeal+nutrition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

This is a good site for making nutritional comparison. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1597/2

There's a statement in the original post that quinoa has twice the calories of oatmeal. From what I can find, that's not right. And calorie density as packed is what I usually consider, not as cooked. Uncooked quinoa, according to this datum (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5705/2), has 102 Cal/oz. Uncooked oats (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1597/2) have 106 per ounce.

I didn't realize quinoa is a seed, a "pseudocereal," thanks for that. It is nutritionally superior, but it requires cooking. The OP was asking for an instant recipe, but that was perhaps based on a false assumption of energy density.

Dogwood
12-21-2016, 20:01
Don't get me wrong. I love my rolled oatmeal bought in bulk for on trail. I see it as Aria Zoner does. Oatmeal is a carrier of fiber, good carbs, decent protein, Fe, etc symbiotic spices and other ingredients that make it more than a lone wolf staple. oatmeal is so versatile. At home I love oat groats and steel cut oats for the fiber and different chewier texture that I like adding to other grains fro an entree or make rice pudding from substituting it for the common nutritionally denuded white rice.

http://www.wholefoodhiker.com/the-5-day-resupply-box

Aria Zoner is, let's say eccentric more so than me, LOL but follow his vid to the oatmeal prep.

Dogwood
12-21-2016, 20:03
There's a statement in the original post that quinoa has twice the calories of oatmeal. From what I can find, that's not right.

I don't see that either. I agree.

Sarcasm the elf
12-21-2016, 20:46
There's a statement in the original post that quinoa has twice the calories of oatmeal. From what I can find, that's not right. And calorie density as packed is what I usually consider, not as cooked. Uncooked quinoa, according to this datum (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5705/2), has 102 Cal/oz. Uncooked oats (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1597/2) have 106 per ounce.

I suspect they meant quinoa has twice the protein of oatmeal, which is close to accurate.

Dogwood
12-21-2016, 21:35
Quinoa flakes don't need to be eaten warmed. You can mix with granola or rolled oats as said for lowering costs and combine with some nuts, spices, dried fruit and powered milk of choice. I'll shamelessly plug powdered coconut milk Native Forest brand. Just add tepid water. The same can be done with rolled oats.

Another time saver is making whole quinoa for dinner making more than needed for the entree and saving some for b-fast. Eat with the powdered milk, cranberries, walnuts or almond slices or a nut butter, dried berries, dried apples, granulated dried ginger, and a pinch of cinnamon and crushed clove for b-fast. Use water you've sealed tightly stored in your sleeping bag or from the water pillow some make from their Camelback or Platypus.

I feel like I'm the marketing spokesman for the Eat More Quinoa campaign. :)

Odd Man Out
12-22-2016, 01:05
The data I provided is for 100 g of dry uncooked quinoa and oats.

garlic08
12-22-2016, 08:39
The data I provided is for 100 g of dry uncooked quinoa and oats.

And I'm wondering why your data show the two closer in protein content than what I've seen elsewhere. Other sources show quinoa has nearly double the protein of oats.

Not that I care about the extra protein, and it's not going to affect my diet, but it makes me wonder about our internet data.

devoidapop
12-22-2016, 10:42
Not being a nutritionist, I should not have made any claims about the superiority of quinoa to instant oatmeal. I like oatmeal, I just prefer quinoa with some Chia seeds and dried fruit when I'm at home. If I can replicate that while I'm in the woods, awesome. If not, there are tons of easy cook/no cook breakfast options.

Odd Man Out
12-22-2016, 16:42
And I'm wondering why your data show the two closer in protein content than what I've seen elsewhere. Other sources show quinoa has nearly double the protein of oats.

Not that I care about the extra protein, and it's not going to affect my diet, but it makes me wonder about our internet data.
According to the nutrition data Web site (USDA data) a cup of raw quinoa has a bit more than twice the protein of a cup of raw rolled oats. But that is because oats are less dense. A cup of quinoa weighs mores than twice that of a cup of oats. Is it possible that people who are selling quinoa or promoting the superfood du jour would cherry pick their stats to promote their cause? Yup. But there is nothing wrong with it. Quinoa will take up less room in your pack, which could be an advantage.

RockDoc
12-22-2016, 19:49
Oatmeal is not much competition... it's been described as being about as nutritious as the cardboard box that it came in.

Please compare the nutrition of one egg to 100 g of quinoa. Lots of carbs does not equal nutrition, it equals SUGAR.

rocketsocks
12-22-2016, 21:58
Does not everything convert to sugars/fuel?

JBrewer
12-24-2016, 00:55
Trader Joes has quinoa that is frozen and microwavable...not sure how this would translate out in the field. I would assume it would work as I believe it's pre cooked and you are simply reheating...but you know what they say about assuming.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Venchka
12-24-2016, 22:32
Trader Joes has quinoa that is frozen and microwavable...not sure how this would translate out in the field. I would assume it would work as I believe it's pre cooked and you are simply reheating...but you know what they say about assuming.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They also sell oatmeal in similar packages which I am familiar with. The stuff is wet. A.K.A. heavy. The bulletproof vacuum sealed heavy packaging is heavy. I could see it working for car camping, canoeing, beach cruising and maybe bike touring.
Back to oats. What if....
Quick cooking steel cut oats, ground flax seeds (1 teaspoon? More?), dried/freeze dried fruit, ghee/fat of choice, water to suit. Bring to boil 1-3 minutes. Lit sit as needed. This is more trouble than it's worth for breakfast, IMO. However, it has the makings of a great chilly evening meal.
Wayne

NoChance
02-09-2017, 22:39
cook it at home, dehydrate it at home, reconstitute it on the trail. Done.