PDA

View Full Version : 2017 AWOL Guide available in PDF

Engine
12-19-2016, 18:28
I preordered the 2017 AWOL guide in both print and PDF versions. This afternoon I received an email that the PDF version was complete and available for download. I checked just now and it downloaded fine.

If you wanted to get a head start on planning with the latest version of the guide, it's now available.

Water Rat
12-19-2016, 18:31
I just posted this in another thread on the same topic... If you order The AT Guide between now and Dec 31st, you can save 15% off the cost. NOBO books will ship in mid-January, SOBO guides will be a couple/few weeks later to hit the mail.

If you are looking to order just the pdf, it is only $7.60 (with the 15% off).

http://www.theatguide.com/

llittle_llama
01-03-2017, 03:36
Will they do another sale on them? I missed buying it before the 31st and that almost $15 would REALLY come in handy :(

H I T C H
01-03-2017, 06:15
They are still coming up at the sale prices today (1.3.17)

Hitch

jeremys
01-03-2017, 15:03
They are still coming up at the sale prices today (1.3.17)

Hitch

Thanks! I just purchased and received mine (PDF) with no issues.

Greenlight
01-03-2017, 15:40
Got mine. Still on sale. Thanks Engine!

I preordered the 2017 AWOL guide in both print and PDF versions. This afternoon I received an email that the PDF version was complete and available for download. I checked just now and it downloaded fine.

If you wanted to get a head start on planning with the latest version of the guide, it's now available.

llittle_llama
01-03-2017, 19:06
Are you guys buying just the book or the map set as well? The weight obviously isn't an issue but is it worth the extra $86 dollars?

Engine
01-03-2017, 19:08
Are you guys buying just the book or the map set as well? The weight obviously isn't an issue but is it worth the extra $86 dollars?

We got the PDF and paper copy of the book, but with Guthook's guide on the phone I didn't bother with the maps.

Engine
01-03-2017, 19:09
Got mine. Still on sale. Thanks Engine!

No worries! :D

llittle_llama
01-03-2017, 19:18
Guthook's guide on the phone I didn't bother with the maps.
Care to elaborate?

llittle_llama
01-03-2017, 19:19
How do you edit a post? For some reason I couldn't put spaces in the post above (when I hit my space bar nothing happened unless I typed and then went back and hit space) so I posted so I could go back and edit it to finish what I was saying. Now it looks like I'm a jerk and can't finish a sentence!!!

llittle_llama
01-04-2017, 16:20
The PDF is out of stock... they run out of email ink?!? I bought the print version and something else, but I want the PDF as well!!!

Engine
01-04-2017, 18:06
Care to elaborate?

The AT is so well marked a map is not really ever needed. We've done many long section hikes and never felt the need to have a map, since we usually know were we are to within a 1/2 mile of some know point on the trail. Guthook's guide is an excellent app that provides you with an overview of the trail, including maps and it pinpoints your location along the route by use of the phones location systems. It also provides great information which is crowd sourced regarding water supply points, shelters and campsites, road crossings, etc. With AWOL's guide for town information and Guthook's guide on the trail, it almost feels like cheating. :D

Engine
01-04-2017, 18:07
The PDF is out of stock... they run out of email ink?!? I bought the print version and something else, but I want the PDF as well!!!

Is that even possible? How can an e-file be out of stock?

Engine
01-04-2017, 18:09
How do you edit a post? For some reason I couldn't put spaces in the post above (when I hit my space bar nothing happened unless I typed and then went back and hit space) so I posted so I could go back and edit it to finish what I was saying. Now it looks like I'm a jerk and can't finish a sentence!!!

My space bar has been goofing up when replying to a quote as well. If I start the reply immediately following the end quote bracket I can type as usual. Then I just move everything down under the quote...hope that makes sense...it's beer:30.

purdaddy
01-04-2017, 18:39

Yea I tried to buy the PDF, also got the out of stock error. I'm going to email him about it.

purdaddy
01-04-2017, 18:54
Yea I tried to buy the PDF, also got the out of stock error. I'm going to email him about it.

Got an email back already (that was fast!) it was an error and should be okay now.

llittle_llama
01-05-2017, 01:04
Got an email back already (that was fast!) it was an error and should be okay now.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

llittle_llama
01-05-2017, 06:24
Have my PDF, hard copy, and passport ordered :D I probably won't carry the passport but I figured the money goes to a good cause and it would be neat to have :)

SaltLick
01-05-2017, 14:45
Is using an older version really all that different? My mom gave me the 2015 and I'm curious as to what's changed

llittle_llama
01-05-2017, 15:43
Is using an older version really all that different? My mom gave me the 2015 and I'm curious as to what's changed

From what I've read plenty DOES change from year to year. Some new places open while some places close. Hours change and trails might be moved slightly. It's worth it for sub $8 ;)

Oventoasted
01-05-2017, 17:15

With the forest fires last year im expecting a lot to change. :(

dervari
01-05-2017, 19:04
PDF is showing full price. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Martzy13
01-05-2017, 22:14
Feel free to grill me if this has been answered in another post, but if I purchase the pdf version on my smartphone, can I download it straight to the phone? Or does there have to be a PC involved...?

SouthboundBantam
01-06-2017, 11:19
He states on the site that it CAN be directly downloaded to a mobile device (smartphone), though it is likely that the download will take upwards of 4 minutes because of file size.
Direct quote:
"If downloading directly to a phone is your only option, you must have a WIFI connection and the download may take several minutes. Click on the download link provided in the email, and then click on the "DOWNLOAD" button. THE BUTTON WILL FLASH, BUT THERE IS NO OTHER INDICATION THAT THE DOWNLOAD IS WORKING. Do not click the download button again as it will trigger a new download; please wait at least 3 minutes for the download to complete. You have 4 attempts to download the file." (http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-AT-Guide-2017-Southbound-PDF-Download-SPDF17.htm)

jeremys
01-06-2017, 11:42
The PDF is <15mb. It took 2 seconds to download over a 2bar LTE connection. If you have a poor cell connection it might be "risky", but anything decent will have no problems.

Martzy13
01-06-2017, 11:53
Thanks, of course I hadn't opened the website before asking, but I see where you're quoting from now.

llittle_llama
01-06-2017, 19:49
Double post.

llittle_llama
01-06-2017, 19:50
Random double post from me?!? How do I delete/edit my post!

capehiker
01-06-2017, 22:38
Random double post from me?!? How do I delete/edit my post!

You have to be a donating member to do that.

llittle_llama
01-07-2017, 11:56
Well that was easy enough ;) Thanks for the heads up!!!