PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike Switching to Summer Bag Temperature Question (40* or 50* bag)?

jcwooddy
12-19-2016, 21:47
Hey guys (and gals),

I am starting a 2017 NOBO on April 20-25. I have a Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20* to start and end the trail. I am planning on switching out bags in the summer since it will be hotter and I can save weight. I am planning to buy another Enlightened Equipment Revelation bag for summer, but I can't decide between a 40* or a 50* bag (i.e. don't know if a 50* will be warm enough or if a 40* bag will be needed)? The 50* bag is about 3 ounces less so I would like to save that weight if possible, but don't want to be too cold if it drops below 50 at night. How cold are the cold nights during the summer? Any advice is appreciated for those that have thru-hiked the AT before.

Jon

jcwooddy
12-19-2016, 22:07
I have also read that some people just use their sleeping bag liner during the summer and send their sleeping bag back. Is a sleeping bag liner similar in warmth to a 50* bag? If so, maybe that shows that a 50* bag would be warm enough?

Jon

MuddyWaters
12-19-2016, 22:12
50 will be fine.
Synthetic is probably more suitable and easier to wash in town
Whole lot of sweating going on, it dont cool down till early am a lot in summer, if you call 60 cool. It can be very warm at bedtime, and clothes are damp

Sorta depends when and where you switch. either should get you thru vermont fine in august.....usually. an occasional cold night near freezing arent unheard of at highest elevations.

One Half
12-19-2016, 22:43
depends on WHERE and WHEN you are getting the colder temp bag. The Whites anytime of year can be pretty darn cold at night.

jcwooddy
12-19-2016, 22:45
I would get the cold weather bag back before it started to get cold again. I would be planning to switch back before the Whites for sure.

Jon

egilbe
12-19-2016, 22:55
Depends on where you are going to be at the end of August. Vermont would be a good place to get your warmer bag.

gbolt
12-19-2016, 23:03
I hammock so insulation is more of an issue than with a sleeping bag in a tent. I have a 20º Top Quilt and a 50º TQ. I think a 40º is not worth the extra weight and is to "HOT" for the warmer temps that you are trying to cover and which the 50º will work better. Especially if you were to skip the bag in order to "vent" and go for a Quilt (Saving even more weight). I have a Liner from previous tenting and it only gains 5-10º in the bag, I actually tried to use one for a summer hang and woke "cold" in the late night/early morning . Once again, in a Hammock but it drove me to purchase the 50º TQ before even buying the 20º. However, this is all personal choice, many have made it with only one bag and sleeper on top with sleep cloths to regulate body temp.

Old Hiker
12-19-2016, 23:33
I switched at Woods Hole Hostel 1st of May. 2 days later, it snowed. I had 40* Jacks'R'Better quilt and a military poncho liner and was still cool, if not cold several nights until Hanover - 1st of August.

I had a 20* EE quilt and froze the first part of my hike, even with extra clothing and the poncho liner. Switched to a 20* down bag in Hanover and was warm the rest of the trip. YMMV.

Good luck.

Hikingjim
12-20-2016, 05:30
I would do the 50f. You'll carry it for a bit shorter time period than the 40, but it will be more comfortable for where you'll likely be from late June to August

Just don't get it until it's at least around mid or late June and you see the long range forecast makes sense to do so

fastfoxengineering
12-20-2016, 05:32
Remember your bottom insulation plays a big role. If your pad isn't warm enough then no top insulation will keep you warm. I use a neoair xtherm which is overkill during the summer. However i find it helps me take me to the actual temps my quilts are rated to. I plan on picking up a 50* quilt so I can go really light in the summer.

bigcranky
12-20-2016, 07:49
50F, switch after Mt Rogers, get the warmer bag back in Hanover before the Whites.

soilman
12-20-2016, 08:09
I used a 50 degree Marmot bag for summer. I was too hot in my 25 degree bag in VA and finally got the Marmot bag in Harpers Ferry. I used it till I got to Hanover at the end of July. I spent one cold night on top of Killington. Other than that 50 degree was fine.

colorado_rob
12-20-2016, 09:49
Just one more MO, I switched fron a really warm 30 bag to a 40 at Damascus in early May. Damascus was a convenient place to switch. But north of Damascus are a few higher altitude nights that were darn chilly, probably low 30s, but i just wore more clothing, used hot water bottles, and chose camp carefully. You're starting later, my start was april 10, a 50 will probably be fine, a few chilly nights won't kill you. On the other hand, a 40 will get you further north before switching back.

Just Bill
12-20-2016, 09:54
The correct answer is a 45* quilt :sun

Just Bill
12-20-2016, 09:57
Remember your bottom insulation plays a big role. If your pad isn't warm enough then no top insulation will keep you warm. I use a neoair xtherm which is overkill during the summer. However i find it helps me take me to the actual temps my quilts are rated to. I plan on picking up a 50* quilt so I can go really light in the summer.

If'n yer heading out in '17 and haven't picked one up yet... I have a slot open in the ginger division of my field testing program :D

Quite seriously... you'd be a good tester and I'd be happy to have you.

moldy
12-20-2016, 10:53
Get a 40. Summer is a "shades of grey" deal when it comes to temp. Cold and hot will come and go. It's worth the 3oz diff.

Venchka
12-20-2016, 10:54
The correct answer is a 45* quilt :sun

Aye! And it actually works for me at a real 45 degrees on an Xtherm and wearing all of my clothes as Colin Fletcher wrote in his Complete Walker books.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailmercury
12-20-2016, 14:48
Hey guys (and gals),

I am starting a 2017 NOBO on April 20-25. I have a Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20* to start and end the trail. I am planning on switching out bags in the summer since it will be hotter and I can save weight. I am planning to buy another Enlightened Equipment Revelation bag for summer, but I can't decide between a 40* or a 50* bag (i.e. don't know if a 50* will be warm enough or if a 40* bag will be needed)? The 50* bag is about 3 ounces less so I would like to save that weight if possible, but don't want to be too cold if it drops below 50 at night. How cold are the cold nights during the summer? Any advice is appreciated for those that have thru-hiked the AT before.

Jon
I am leaving Springer 4/3. I have both a 30* and a 50* EE Revelation.
My Plan:
I will have a bounce box.
Start with both quilts (temp rating of 10*)
Play it by ear and ditch the 50* sometime around Damascus?
Switch out the 30* for the 50* around HF?
Switch out the 50* for the 30* around Vermont?
Either finish with only the 30*, or at some point add back the 50* depending on weather. I'm hoping to finish early September.

Cheyou
12-20-2016, 18:58
I am leaving Springer 4/3. I have both a 30* and a 50* EE Revelation.
My Plan:
I will have a bounce box.
Start with both quilts (temp rating of 10*)
Play it by ear and ditch the 50* sometime around Damascus?
Switch out the 30* for the 50* around HF?
Switch out the 50* for the 30* around Vermont?
Either finish with only the 30*, or at some point add back the 50* depending on weather. I'm hoping to finish early September.

Wow that is just to much work for me . I can always deal with a quilt that's to warm.

thom

trailmercury
12-20-2016, 19:39
Cheyou,
I'm UL...Trying to save ounces whenever possible...It really won't be that much "work" to put a quilt in a box that I will be handling frequently anyway. Plus, switching out quilts will increase the longevity of each.
"Work" is what I'm leaving for six months to take a hike of a lifetime!
HYOH I guess right!

Don H
12-20-2016, 21:11
I used a Cocoon Silk Liner every night, helps keep the bag clean and supposedly adds 5 degrees to the bag.

I used a 50 degree Montebello bag with the liner during the summer (Pearisburg to Hanover). During the warmest nights I only slept in the liner.