PDA

View Full Version : A 65L pack for under $100, and is good quality?

Cedar1974
12-20-2016, 04:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiEsFvmctXc

Here is the review I found. I'll let you be the judge if it is worth getting.

Amazon link in the description of the video.

Hosh
12-20-2016, 15:14
Check out REI's Flash 65l. If it isn't in the Garage outlet area, it will be as they change it every year. With the outlet discount and a member's cooopon, you can get in for less than a Benjamin

Venchka
12-20-2016, 16:40
I just left a store with a pair of Osprey Atmos 50 liter packs for $120. I know. Apples to oranges. But the Osprey guarantee is worth $20. And a 50 liter pack will make you condense your gear's weight and volume.
Deals are out there and not always online.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
12-20-2016, 16:41
Typo: They were the current AG model.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hosh
12-20-2016, 18:38
There is also something to be said for trying a pack on, throwing in a couple of sand bags and walking around the store. Neither the Osprey nor REI packs have torso adjustments, so the fit needs to be close.

I agree on the smaller volume, I went from the 65l to Flash 45L, really 50, as I was able to reduce volume/weight.

AO2134
12-20-2016, 18:47
At $100 the risk may be worth the reward. I trust Sintax's opinion on the matter. Of course, if he does take it out on a few hiked will he really be able to put a real review together on the pack.

As someone who cares more about saving money then the weight of my pack, I see very little risk here and a lot of reward, especially if it turns out to be a reasonable pack.

Those side pockets though do look like a drag.

For the newbie just getting into hiking and doesn't know if he/she will like it, this looks like a pretty good choice.

For those of us who don't think there is much of a difference between a 35lb pack and a 25lb pack, the question becomes is the quality similar enough (longevity, fit, comfort) to make the $$$ savings significant factor.

If the quality is similar, I would never spend $100 much less $200 more on a pack to save 1-2lbs. I simply wouldn't feel that weight difference.

Prof
02-14-2018, 23:12
I got a 36 ounce "Soldier Blue" pack on Amazon for 40 bucks. Built well, has everything $200 packs have, 50 liters. I could carry it no problem with 20 pounds, and that's with load lifters below my shoulders. I've yanked a ton at the seams and they hold. I wouldn't take it on the PCT, but if you're willing to take risks, and names aren't important to you, you can get away with a lot. The only problems I had with it are 1) the belt clips are less than great (they slip), which was easily fixed by spending $5 at Joann's to get better clips, and the pack was too short for my torso (I'm at 21.5). My 10 year old uses the pack and loves it. If they made it in a longer size, I'd buy one for me.

Singto
02-15-2018, 04:55
That backpack is $55 on Amazon right now. Listing says 3.8 pounds.

Slo-go'en
02-15-2018, 10:08
I found a 50/55L pack on Amazon for $49.95 (WASING 55L) which weighs 2 lb, 14 oz. It's got a bunch of straps and buckles which can probably be removed to get the weight down closer to 2 lb. I'm real tempted to get one.

swatsullivan
02-15-2018, 12:22
Check out REI's Flash 65l. If it isn't in the Garage outlet area, it will be as they change it every year. With the outlet discount and a member's cooopon, you can get in for less than a Benjamin

How do you like the side pockets on those? Looks like they are cut at an angle. I hate it when water bottles fall out of the side pockets. My son has an REI pack, and the small mesh side pockets will not hold a nalgene or smartwater bottle. Makes it a pain for him to carry water to drink while hiking (in addition to a hydration system with a hose). Seems like they all assume you want to use a hydration system internally, which I think makes it difficult to re-fill, especially if you filter.

I almost bought my wife a Granite Gear Crown2 60 Women's Fit (https://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/backpacks/multi-day-backpacks/crown2-60-pack.html) pack when I had a huge balance at REI, but I discovered in reading the comments that the side pockets were made (for a time) too short. Reading the comments today (https://www.rei.com/product/112646/granite-gear-crown2-60-pack-womens), it seems they solved that issue by making the pockets the same size as the men's.

Singto
02-16-2018, 10:13
How do you like the side pockets on those? Looks like they are cut at an angle. I hate it when water bottles fall out of the side pockets. My son has an REI pack, and the small mesh side pockets will not hold a nalgene or smartwater bottle. Makes it a pain for him to carry water to drink while hiking (in addition to a hydration system with a hose). Seems like they all assume you want to use a hydration system internally, which I think makes it difficult to re-fill, especially if you filter.

I almost bought my wife a Granite Gear Crown2 60 Women's Fit (https://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/backpacks/multi-day-backpacks/crown2-60-pack.html) pack when I had a huge balance at REI, but I discovered in reading the comments that the side pockets were made (for a time) too short. Reading the comments today (https://www.rei.com/product/112646/granite-gear-crown2-60-pack-womens), it seems they solved that issue by making the pockets the same size as the men's.

I just placed an order for a Crown 2 60 (men's) for 159.98 shipped with 1 year no matter what return policy. Good buy, I think.