PDA

View Full Version : Five Tips for Getting Your Wife out on the Trail

johnspenn
12-20-2016, 10:44
An article for the men out there who would love for their wives to join them out on the trail but haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/20...-on-the-trail/ (https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/2016/12/19/five-tips-for-getting-your-wife-out-on-the-trail/)

Storm
12-20-2016, 10:54
That is pretty good information. My wife has had both knees replaced and says she will not be wearing them out on the trail anytime soon. Guess I will keep hiking solo.

MisterQ
12-20-2016, 11:18
My wife is more than happy to venture into the woods for a day hike but will not under any circumstances sleep there. Never going to happen. Luckily she has no problem with me disappearing for a week every so often.

Hikingjim
12-20-2016, 11:30
I introduced my fiance to backpacking about 4 years ago and I agree with much of this list. She had never gone, has poor balance, etc, so a bit of an experience.

My 10 ten key components, simplified, in no particular order:
1. Go when it's warm and no bugs (aug/sep in the NE is ideal)
2. Keep the mileage reasonable
3. Make a route that has resupply often so that you don't have to carry that much.
4. Give her a decent size pack so she's a legit backpacker, but offer to take if there's some "newbie fatigue". Giving bulky items that aren't heavy works well for this. I go heavy on the food/water in my pack
5. Fantastic scenery to start is a plus
6. Reschedule if it's all rain and it's a first trip
7. Mix in a hotel/hostel day and end with a more luxurious stay when you finish!
8. Go a bit overkill on warmth so it's not a frigid first experience
9. No rushing or "timetabling" unless 100% necessary.
10. Bring awesome food. Just because you like granola and stoveless, doesn't mean that's a good option for the two of you

Puddlefish
12-20-2016, 11:39
Should probably be titled, "how to get your significant other out on the trail." My high school girlfriend was a backpacker, I wanted no part of it. She was a mountain girl, I was a lake boy.

Hosh
12-20-2016, 11:48
I introduced my fiance to backpacking about 4 years ago and I agree with much of this list. She had never gone, has poor balance, etc, so a bit of an experience.

3. Make a route that has resupply often so that you don't have to carry that much.
4. Give her a decent size pack so she's a legit backpacker, but offer to take if there's some "newbie fatigue". Giving bulky items that aren't heavy works well for this. I go heavy on the food/water in my pack
7. Mix in a hotel/hostel day and end with a more luxurious stay when you finish!
10. Bring awesome food. Just because you like granola and stoveless, doesn't mean that's a good option for the two of you

This is is a very good approach. My wife will do 1 or 2 trips per season. Sometimes with my daughters, sometimes just us. The key is to make it pleasurable, focus on the time together and the opportunity to get off the beaten path.

Elaikases
12-20-2016, 11:53

The Inn to Inn route in Virginia is a great start. Drive to park headquarters, catch a shuttle. Hike ten miles a day for four days, last day end up at your car. Warm lodge and dinner every night.

My wife loved it.

And, as a result, has gone on more hikes, slept in shelters with me and is loving it.

johnspenn
12-20-2016, 11:58
That is pretty good information. My wife has had both knees replaced and says she will not be wearing them out on the trail anytime soon. Guess I will keep hiking solo.
Hopefully she can wear them out on something she enjoys doing!

My wife is more than happy to venture into the woods for a day hike but will not under any circumstances sleep there. Never going to happen. Luckily she has no problem with me disappearing for a week every so often.
My wife was that way for many years- she never even considered sleeping outdoors. She changed her mind though! There's still hope!

That's really good advice. Thanks!

Should probably be titled, "how to get your significant other out on the trail." My high school girlfriend was a backpacker, I wanted no part of it. She was a mountain girl, I was a lake boy.
I wrote this from my perspective- it may work in reverse but I just don't know!

This is is a very good approach. My wife will do 1 or 2 trips per season. Sometimes with my daughters, sometimes just us. The key is to make it pleasurable, focus on the time together and the opportunity to get off the beaten path.
I totally agree!

johnspenn
12-20-2016, 11:59
The Inn to Inn route in Virginia is a great start. Drive to park headquarters, catch a shuttle. Hike ten miles a day for four days, last day end up at your car. Warm lodge and dinner every night.

My wife loved it.

And, as a result, has gone on more hikes, slept in shelters with me and is loving it.
That's great!Here's hoping the journeys continue!

Feral Bill
12-20-2016, 12:21
My wife is scared of heights. Route planning matters.

Tipi Walter
12-20-2016, 12:23
My Ten Components to Taking Out Little Mitten
** Make sure it is not raining from beginning to end of the trip. Have this locked in.
** Make sure wind levels remain calm at all times.
** Never attempt a winter trip or a trip where temps can fall dangerously low, like below 70F.
** Avoid at all costs muddy trails and of course all creek crossings.
** Run screaming from any hill climbs or god forbid 3,000 foot Nutbusting mountain humps.
** Carry all her gear at all times, stock first aid kit with plenty of advil and ibuprofen.
** Avoid cold and snow and sleet in all forms.
** The colors Brown or Green could upset.
** Cloudy skies are a no-brainer Keep Out signal so stay home.
** Blue skies could upset the schedule so have a bail-out plan.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2016, 12:29
Take her friends visit into consideration planning timing of ANYTHING

Tipi Walter
12-20-2016, 12:57
Have divorce papers filled out BEFOREHAND.

scrabbler
12-20-2016, 13:50
Newbies, listen to HikingJim, he has it dialed in.

Tipi Walter
12-20-2016, 13:57
Newbies, listen to HikingJim, he has it dialed in.

Exactly. I like his recommendation to go when it's warm with no bugs. Is that a fly I see 30 feet away on a tree leaf? Don't go. Did I get a chigger bite? Return home. Are these spider webs across the trail? Eeek, find shelter indoors. These nasty noseeums suck! Reserve motel room. ETc. Oh and btw, Bugs love warm weather. Oops.

Water Rat
12-20-2016, 15:16

I agree - the article should definitely have had a different title. When I was in high school, I was the mountain girl...and the guys just wanted to camp on their butts and party. Well, only if the weather was nice. I tend to think of it as their loss. :D About the only time I ever needed anyone carry the contents of my pack for me was when I was 3, and just being introduced to backpacking. Though, I did wear a pack with my rain gear in it.

Here are some additional tips that might make your trip go a bit better:

Know that the above article does not fit all women who are new to backpacking.
Don't assume a woman NEEDS you to carry the heavy stuff.
Don't assume a woman cannot hike just as far as you can. Just because she is new to the sport, it doesn't mean she won't become enthusiastic and want to see as much of the trail as possible.
Communicate. Ask questions and find out about comfort levels.
Never assume that all women can only hike a small number of miles, but only when they aren't having their periods.
There are no "one size fits all" answers when it comes to women, or men.

Hoofit
12-20-2016, 15:42
Five tips....

1. Find some really good mountainous spots along the trail with lots of elevation.
2. Make sure you pick a few days of rainy weather.
3. Make sure you leave all the really tasty snacks at home.
4. Stay in at least one shelter full of mice.
5. Leave the phones at home.

Why? If your dearest still wants to hike on and can do so without complaint, hey, " No sniveling allowed", then you know you have a hiker. The rest is all downhill....

Leo L.
12-20-2016, 15:45
Biggest lure is the kilos to drop during a multiday trip.
Only bigger the disappointment when they didn't drop.

The truth is, my wife is very eager to go with me and I take all measures I can think of to make it possible, that means especially making route planning and pack weight fit for her, not for me.
We had the greatest time of our life, wandering the desert together.

colorado_rob
12-20-2016, 15:48
I agree - the article should definitely have had a different title. When I was in high school, I was the mountain girl...and the guys just wanted to camp on their butts and party. Well, only if the weather was nice. ....Yeah, article seems bit sexist, but all points are good, whether applying to non hiking wives or husbands (or just SO's).

Not to brag on this part of the country, but I don't think you'd ever see such an article title or word content out here in Colorado. There are more women, for example, active in the Colorado mountain club than men, and out on the trails it really is pretty close to 50-50 in these parts. Having hiked the AT, no where close to 50-50.

johnspenn
12-20-2016, 17:11
Guys, please don't take offense where none was meant or given. I tried to be specific in wording the post and the article- this is to help those men who love the outdoors introduce their wives who may not yet share their passion to the outdoors. If you fall in to that category, this article was meant to help you out. If not, then obviously this article doesn't apply to you. Don't make something out of nothing.

colorado_rob
12-20-2016, 17:25
Guys, please don't take offense where none was meant or given. I tried to be specific in wording the post and the article- this is to help those men who love the outdoors introduce their wives who may not yet share their passion to the outdoors. If you fall in to that category, this article was meant to help you out. If not, then obviously this article doesn't apply to you. Don't make something out of nothing.I don't think any real offense was taken, certainly not be me. I just don't understand at all why you would put a gender on the words, vs. just saying "spouse" or "significant other". Why would you not say the same thing about husbands who don't hike with their wives? Is it not the identical situation? Again, no offense taken, by me at least. Please don't be offended that I spoke up on this.

johnspenn
12-20-2016, 17:43
I don't think any real offense was taken, certainly not be me. I just don't understand at all why you would put a gender on the words, vs. just saying "spouse" or "significant other". Why would you not say the same thing about husbands who don't hike with their wives? Is it not the identical situation? Again, no offense taken, by me at least. Please don't be offended that I spoke up on this.

The reason I didn't address husbands who don't hike with their wives is because I have never been in that situation, and so can't speak to it experientially. I would imagine that some of the same advice would work both ways, but some may not. IMO there is a distinct difference between how a husband encourages his wife to do something, and how a wife encourages a husband to do something. The two objectives are not necessarily achieved using the same methods.

Either way, thanks for taking time to read and comment on my article!

burger
12-20-2016, 17:45
You all have the wrong approach. I married someone who loves hiking and backpacking as much as I do. We did a 200 mile trip together within a year of starting dating and the CDT before we got married. I honestly couldn't imagine being with someone whom I had to cajole into going hiking.

Hikingjim
12-20-2016, 19:17
Exactly. I like his recommendation to go when it's warm with no bugs. Is that a fly I see 30 feet away on a tree leaf? Don't go. Did I get a chigger bite? Return home. Are these spider webs across the trail? Eeek, find shelter indoors. These nasty noseeums suck! Reserve motel room. ETc. Oh and btw, Bugs love warm weather. Oops. I said warm, not hot. Oops? Have done multiple fabulous hikes with absolutely no bug issues in late august or sept. The simple point was to introduce people to the beauty of hiking in the most enjoyable time of year in an simple way... figured that was obvious. The swarm of black flies can wait for another trip!

Hikingjim
12-20-2016, 19:31
You all have the wrong approach. I married someone who loves hiking and backpacking as much as I do. We did a 200 mile trip together within a year of starting dating and the CDT before we got married. I honestly couldn't imagine being with someone whom I had to cajole into going hiking. That's great if it works out that way. But people can pick up the habit quickly if the interest is there. My marriage proposal was validated when my fiance asked for base layers for Christmas.

Water Rat
12-20-2016, 19:33
Yeah, article seems bit sexist, but all points are good, whether applying to non hiking wives or husbands (or just SO's).

Not to brag on this part of the country, but I don't think you'd ever see such an article title or word content out here in Colorado. There are more women, for example, active in the Colorado mountain club than men, and out on the trails it really is pretty close to 50-50 in these parts. Having hiked the AT, no where close to 50-50.

I agree - The wordage would definitely be different in Colorado, as well as many places in the western US. I also agree that things are way different on the AT when it comes to percentage of female hikers. I say that after having lived in Colorado. Some amazing trails there! :)

Water Rat
12-20-2016, 19:40
Guys, please don't take offense where none was meant or given. I tried to be specific in wording the post and the article- this is to help those men who love the outdoors introduce their wives who may not yet share their passion to the outdoors. If you fall in to that category, this article was meant to help you out. If not, then obviously this article doesn't apply to you. Don't make something out of nothing.

Absolutely no offense was taken on my part. I was simply offering the female perspective (as well as a few tips) from one who has been backpacking most of her life. The tips offered in the article apply to some women & men, but (as with any article) should not be taken as "all females need you to do this." The advice I gave was meant more for those who do not yet understand that women can hold their own out on the trail.

It is food for thought for those who think women have to hike with someone and have to have someone carry all the heavy stuff. Different perspectives are a good thing.

coach lou
12-20-2016, 22:23

^^^^^^ WHAT HE SAYS^^^^^^:sun

Dogwood
12-20-2016, 23:31
An article for the men out there who would love for their wives to join them out on the trail but haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/20...-on-the-trail/ (https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/2016/12/19/five-tips-for-getting-your-wife-out-on-the-trail/)

Very nice! Wow refreshing. I like the site headline couch 2 trail. About time. Well done.

H I T C H
12-21-2016, 08:41
Proper gear selection is crucial. :)

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj570/WhiteBlazeAT/WB/20161221_073109_zpswirjum1e.png

JLorenzo77
12-21-2016, 09:15
Good read, John. I've done day hikes with my wife but she loves to say, 'I'm from Brooklyn. I'm a city girl.' We also have two young kids and finding sitters overnight can be tough. Also, sometimes it's best for me to get out there on my own. :) But one day, maybe!

Tipi Walter
12-21-2016, 10:40
Proper gear selection is crucial. :)

It's good to see HITCH has been reeducated and has gotten with the program. Thru tough experience and after a harrowing series of trips he has finally figured out the way to success---proper gear selection is indeed crucial.

johnspenn
12-21-2016, 13:03
Very nice! Wow refreshing. I like the site headline couch 2 trail. About time. Well done.

Thanks Dogwood!

Good read, John. I've done day hikes with my wife but she loves to say, 'I'm from Brooklyn. I'm a city girl.' We also have two young kids and finding sitters overnight can be tough. Also, sometimes it's best for me to get out there on my own. :) But one day, maybe!

Do what you can when you can. Maybe as the children get older it can become a family thing and y'all can all get out there, no sitter needed!

TSWisla
12-26-2016, 12:54
Why would you want your wife on the trail, especially if she does not want to go in the first place? It is a recipe for disaster. Go on your hiking trip and then book a trip to an all inclusive resort and take her there. You will never convert someone not interested in the outdoors into an outdoors(wo)man.

johnspenn
12-26-2016, 13:02
Why would you want your wife on the trail, especially if she does not want to go in the first place? It is a recipe for disaster. Go on your hiking trip and then book a trip to an all inclusive resort and take her there. You will never convert someone not interested in the outdoors into an outdoors(wo)man.

Not true. My wife is empirical proof. She was never interested in camping out or backpacking before this last year, and she is now a solid convert. I do agree it isn't for everyone, but in our case she changed her mind and I'm sure we're not alone!

Dogwood
12-26-2016, 23:06

The picture says otherwise. That's joy and genuine love you see.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://1A638D29-82DB-4B20-89FC-2C6247BA685C/img-20160206-01214.jpg

jumbojimbo
12-27-2016, 02:02
My wife's idea of camping is staying at a Holiday Inn,but I can go out backpacking anytime .

johnspenn
12-27-2016, 07:32
My wife's idea of camping is staying at a Holiday Inn,but I can go out backpacking anytime .

HYOH! Glad it works for y'all! =)