PDA

View Full Version : Approach trail - yes or no and why?

One Half
12-20-2016, 21:35
So if you have thru hiked or plan to thru hike or even just decided to do a section starting at Springer, did you/will you do the approach trail and why? Just extremely curious.

MuddyWaters
12-20-2016, 21:49
If you google approach trail site=whiteblaze.net, you will find this question is repeated often.

I think its the best way to get to Springer.
It only takes a couple hrs.
Its there.
The falls are possibly the highlight of GA, especially after a good rain when they are roaring

Its not official AT, but parts of the approach were original AT between springer and Oglethorpe.

rafe
12-20-2016, 21:50
Big bone of contention. It's traditional, but not strictly part of the trail. I walked (most of) it. No big deal either way.

I figured, out of 2150 miles or so, what's another eight?

Sarcasm the elf
12-20-2016, 22:03
I did it, I enjoyed it.

The decision to hike it was easy:
1) I like hiking
2) More importantly, I was getting dropped off by a friend and it was much easier for them to drop me off at the visitor center rather than navigate the forest road up to Springer.

mattjv89
12-20-2016, 22:16
I did it, would probably do again. I enjoyed the waterfall and the hike wasn't bad even for the first day. It's more uphill than starting at Springer for sure but nothing you won't face in the first 75 miles anyway. Nothing wrong with either way, it's not part of "the trail" but that only matters if it matters to you. Not sure how this one ever got to be so contentious.

dervari
12-20-2016, 22:41
If you google approach trail site=whiteblaze.net, you will find this question is repeated often.

Its there.
The falls are possibly the highlight of GA, especially after a good rain when they are roaring

Its not official AT, but parts of the approach were original AT between springer and Oglethorpe.
Two hours? Were you trail running? That's almost 4mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

soumodeler
12-20-2016, 22:45
I actually enjoy the approach trail unlike a lot of people who hate it. It is not as hard as most make it out to be, people just are not prepared for the trail and take their frustrations out on the first section they encountered. It's actually easier than many other Georgia sections. The climbs are not bad at all.

The falls are great, the stairs not so much. I will admit to sometimes starting my hike from the top of the falls and avoiding the stairs. There are also other trails in the park that go to the top and avoid all or half of the stairs.

Also, the approach trail gets no love because it's boring. No views, nothing spectacular save the falls.

If you are thru hiking, I say go for it. It's less than a days walk, and if you are walking to Maine, what's nine more miles?

MuddyWaters
12-20-2016, 23:01
Two hours? Were you trail running? That's almost 4mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Ok , a few hrs, not a couple.
Took me about 4

Puddlefish
12-20-2016, 23:01
I was recovering from an injury, so was a bit out of shape. I skipped it, didn't want to start out my first day with more effort than necessary. Was a good decision for me.

Dogwood
12-20-2016, 23:53
Done it 5 or more times

I like hiking

I like waterfalls

I like walking all those steps.

I like Nature.

No need to just want to for those reasons.

Every time I go back to Amicalola Falls SP I stand at the stone arch, remember that huge pack I had weighed on the scale out front, get some spring water from the pump on the side of the building, look at the wildlife exhibits, and look through the Trail Journal inside the store to remember the day I stood there at the beginning of a 2200 mile journey and think about the journey of the Approach Tr and the AT that has so highly impacted so many.

DavidNH
12-21-2016, 00:02
If you are going to hike the better part of 2200 miles.. why the heck would one squabble about an 8 mile approach trail?!!!! I did the approach trail. I think all should.
Here are advantages of doing the approach trail:
1) you are always hiking north and climbing Springer mtn (the alternative means hiking south a mile to tag the terminus then going north...)
2)again why fuss over 8 miles?
3) You have a great jump off point in Amicolala falls state park. you can see the vistors center, get into the log book and start your long trek from a proper parking lot!
4) lastly... you are about to do a 5-6 month 2200 mile hike. Whats another 8? do the damned trail!

jj dont play
12-21-2016, 05:51
I was on the fence then talked out of it by the folks at The Hiker Hostel the night before. It was a comical "don't submit yourself to that unnecessary punishment" speech, but I was super green and had not prepared physically at all so I agreed. And with a Mid April start date I was worried about adding one extra day. Well none of my reasons for not doing it turned out to be relevant, I took to hiking very quickly and finished waaay ahead of schedule in just under 4 months.
Looking back I wish I did it, but don't really regret the decision not to. Everything worked out and I plan to do it for a short trip in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine
12-21-2016, 06:02
Having already hiked about 1/2 way up it and back on a day hike out of Amicalola, we don't intend to repeat it in March. Not because it's difficult, just because we've already seen much of it.

rocketsocks
12-21-2016, 06:27
Sure, why not! Looks like fun...I mean pretty. :D

MtDoraDave
12-21-2016, 06:32
I did the 8 mile approach trail when I did the first section. If I ever do a thru, I'll do it again.
Why? There is the scale for backpacks that hangs on the outside of the visitor center, there is the log book inside, there is the arch to walk through and get a "start" picture under... Why not?

Greenlight
12-21-2016, 07:08
I'll be doing the approach trail when I thru hike. When the southern terminus used to be at Oglethorpe, you'd have walked it anyhow, right? Or mebbe I'm wrong. Who knows? But for me it's part of the whole package. Technically, walking back down from Katahdin doesn't count, either. But you're going to do it.

So if you have thru hiked or plan to thru hike or even just decided to do a section starting at Springer, did you/will you do the approach trail and why? Just extremely curious.

daddytwosticks
12-21-2016, 08:08
Whatever is easier for the person/shuttler who is dropping you off. :)

JC13
12-21-2016, 09:13
Whatever is easier for the person/shuttler who is dropping you off. :)This is actually a good point, my dad was none too happy to drive his new vehicle on the FS road to drop us at our car in the Springer parking lot. Looking back, it would have been less stress on him and probably taken less time.

peakbagger
12-21-2016, 10:13
There are folks who actually quit the trail before they even reach the summit, if the approach trail is skipped at least they can say that they quit on the AT instead of not even making it to the beginning ;)

ScareBear
12-21-2016, 10:25
Why not? It's there. It's only 8 miles. It has a cool waterfall.

That said, it is not part of the actual trail mileage, it is an approach trail. So, nothing lost by not doing it.

I skipped it to start this epic, multi-year Section Hike and I don't really regret it. I do plan to return and do it and all of GA again, once I've completed the Section Hike all the way to Katahdin. As a kind of mobile trail angel, believe it or not...

evyck da fleet
12-21-2016, 11:20
+1 to saving your driver if it's a friend or family member a couple extra hours driving to fro the service road to Springer with others getting dropped off around the same time.

If you live locally, consider doing the Approach Trail. There's always people at Springer when I'm there but I can pretty much chill at the Arch by myself for a few minutes reflecting on the start of a ridiculous choice for my first overnight hike. The log book, scale, bathroom, water, gift shop are all nice too.

Of course you can hike to the top of the falls, best part of Georgia, with a friend or relative and then get dropped off at Springer if you're lucky.

Grampie
12-21-2016, 11:22
Having thru-hiked and hiked the approach trail, In my estimation if you skip the approach trail you will also skip other parts of the trail.

Dogwood
12-21-2016, 11:50
If you are going to hike the better part of 2200 miles.. why the heck would one squabble about an 8 mile approach trail?!!!! I did the approach trail. I think all should.
Here are advantages of doing the approach trail:
1) you are always hiking north and climbing Springer mtn (the alternative means hiking south a mile to tag the terminus then going north...)
2)again why fuss over 8 miles?
3) You have a great jump off point in Amicolala falls state park. you can see the vistors center, get into the log book and start your long trek from a proper parking lot!
4) lastly... you are about to do a 5-6 month 2200 mile hike. Whats another 8? do the damned trail!

Having thru-hiked and hiked the approach trail, In my estimation if you skip the approach trail you will also skip other parts of the trail.

I will not make any judgements but it also makes me wonder if those that are already debating 8 miles of "unofficial trail" before the start of their anticipated AT thrus have a lower completion rate or are more apt to skip trail(yellow blaze, etc).

In 2006 8 thru-hikers including myself were being dropped off by the Hiker Hostel with our choice of starting at A SP or at Springer Mt to hike back to and then retrace NOBO from Springer. Two of us chose to be dropped off at A SP. The other six at the Springer Mt parking lot. Both the other guy and myself dropped off at ASP finished our NOBOs. Only one of the other six finished.

I wonder of that's standard?

Lyle
12-21-2016, 12:08
Totally your choice.

I'm not a die-hard purist.
Amicalola is the easiest to get to.
It's insignificant as far as added miles.
It's a unique section with the steps up over the falls.
It's a surprise when you see the stream that feeds the falls.
Seems a more continuous and logical hike instead of hiking backward to start the hike.
It's a pleasant trail.
It's what I did.

AO2134
12-21-2016, 12:49

Its there.

+ 1

If you enjoy hiking, I'd say why not? If the goal is just to complete the AT and not to hike the AT, then perhaps it doesn't make sense.

It is the easiest access point to Springer Mountain, especially if family/friends are dropping you off.

Uncle Joe
12-21-2016, 12:55

I disagree. That said, if I were thru-hiking I might see the importance of doing it. I did the entire GA section then went back and added it primarily because I had a guest with me and wanted to hike something I hadn't. I didn't find it particularly enjoyable. I've been to the falls many times so that wasn't a draw. I didn't dislike it necessarily. I wouldn't advise it for someone who has never hiked. The biggest plus to it is that it prepares you for what lies beyond say Hawk Mtn Shelter far better than starting at Springer will. In that regard, it's probably a good place to start your thru.

Christoph
12-21-2016, 14:00
I hiked the approach trail and enjoyed every single step. It was lightning and was under a severe thunderstorm/tornado warning. That made an interesting (and very wet) start to my trip. Reason for hiking the approach? I guess tradition to get my pic under the arch, what's another 9 miles, and it was a great place for the family to camp out for the night before I left.

clusterone
12-21-2016, 14:50
Don't forget to start at the BOTTOM of the falls, and tackle those stairs for the full experience.

fastfoxengineering
12-21-2016, 16:48
People who talk about doing/not doing the approach trail due to its length have no idea what they're in for. It's true, 8 miles on a 2200 mile long hike is nothing for your regular thru hiker.

Logistically isn't it easier just to do the approach trail?

It's a no brainier for me. Get dropped off and hike to springer. Every trail I've hiked I had to "hike" to the terminus. Some a mile, some 5 minutes, the AT well just so happens to be 8 miles.

For the AT, I guess I would say the approach trail is part of the AT experience. So many have started there.

If your worried the approach trail will make you or break you. Stay home.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

tiptoe
12-21-2016, 17:02
Yes, don't miss the approach trail. As a section hiker (since 2006), I completed the southern part of the trail when I hiked from Damascus to Amicalola two summers ago. The state park, with its spectacular waterfall, buildings, services (FOOD), and parking areas, felt like an end point (or a start point if you're NOBO) in a way that Springer didn't.

jcreamer
12-21-2016, 17:20
One more opinion. I did the Georgia section last September. We started at Amicalola and hiked the approach trail as part of our hike. I don't regret it. However, do yourself a favor and stow your packs at the top of the falls and walk up the stairs to enjoy the scenery. Hauling your full packs up the 5 million stair steps (not really, but you get the idea) made for a less than enjoyable start. I do think the approach trail is more strenuous than the trail coming out of Springer and, in my opinion, matched the most difficult Georgia section for us (the area around/before Blood was tough too).
Enjoy and let us know what you thought/decided.
JC.

peakbagger
12-21-2016, 17:20
I skipped the approach while slacking GA. I did a "victory lap" after I finished sectioning filling in sections that were rerouted due to storm damage (Standing Indian due to hurricane Floyd) and while I was at it did the approach trail. I guess I am not that sentimental but it was another walk in the woods in the spring before the canopy leafed out. I would much rather someone spend the time doing one of the unofficial approach trails at Baxter like Helon Taylor and then Knife Edge to the summit which is a real approach trail worth hiking.

1azarus
12-21-2016, 17:35
My son and I hiked the approach trail from the Lodge one cold February day... woefully (typically?) unprepared and overloaded. We dragged ourselves to the Stover Creek Shelter sorer than I can ever remember being, and we were happy to make it as far as the Hawk mountain shelter the next day -- humbled by the experience. I was inspired enough by that first intense introduction that I continued to section hike the whole trail, and more besides, along the way learning how to walk pretty far in a day. I might have been discouraged by the first day's protracted climb. I might have preferred the gentler start form the forest service road. That I'll never know. I do guess if you want to ease yourself into the experience, leaving out the approach trail's protracted climb isn't a bad idea.

rafe
12-21-2016, 18:03
Don't forget to start at the BOTTOM of the falls, and tackle those stairs for the full experience.

I missed the falls. I got to the park late in the day. Some guy started chatting, offered me a ride to a campground, and up we went. I wasn't thinking about the falls. Started out the next morning from the campground. I remember it was a beautiful day, I was in jeans and my pack must have weighed 50 lbs. in spite of my careful planning. (Last minute additions.) Not a day I'll ever forget.

I'll just have to do the falls climb some day. And make up a few other blue blazes as well.

Dogwood
12-21-2016, 20:11
For spring AT NOBO hikes adding Amicalola Falls into the mix is real scenic with the increased flow volume and perhaps some ice. Walking up all those steps with a huge load at the start of a lengthy hike is great advertisement for promoting UL backpacking. :D

AfterParty
12-21-2016, 21:03
I will most likely start or finish at the archway. But it bothers me none if you don't I will not think less of you or your hike its none of my concern how you walk 2200 miles. As it should be none of yours how I do mine.

One Half
12-21-2016, 21:06

I'm doing a section next spring, not thru hiking. It's not "part of the AT" and thus I find your assertion highly inaccurate.

One Half
12-21-2016, 21:08
+ 1

If you enjoy hiking, I'd say why not? If the goal is just to complete the AT and not to hike the AT, then perhaps it doesn't make sense.

It is the easiest access point to Springer Mountain, especially if family/friends are dropping you off.

I love hiking. Don't know how I am getting to the start so I don't know if I will do the AP.

Theosus
12-21-2016, 21:59

If you're doing a 5 or 6 month trip, why not? It's just one more day. If I was doing a two week section, probably not, but maybe. A long weekend section? Nope. I want to do a springer section in the future, maybe a week long or so, but I'll just get shuttled to the top of Springer and skip the approach.

danil411
12-22-2016, 09:29
I did it to start my 13 thru. I wanted to see the largest waterfall in the East and starting at the traditional terminus appealed to me. I enjoyed the visitor center, the arch, the scale that is too high for short people! Weighing my pack was my first adventure.

Ending my first day on a mountaintop having touched my first whiteblaze was the right call for me. It is likely a colder option.

foodbag
12-22-2016, 10:20
I skipped it and got a ride up to the start via the forest service road instead. If I had to do it over again I would hike it and enjoy the falls. I don't feel guilty about not doing it though. HYOH.

Gambit McCrae
12-22-2016, 10:23
HYOH, I did it because it made it much easier for Ron Brown to pick me up, and I am an every inch of the trail kinda guy, If I do the approach then I have walked all the way to the stone arches, ive seen the falls, there no further to walk....And its just 8 miles

jersey joe
12-22-2016, 11:20
Just do it.
Afterwards...
You might regret not doing it.
You won't regret doing it.

Four reasons to do it.
1) It is easier for someone to drop you off.
2) You can weigh your pack at the ranger station.
3) You can get a good picture starting your hike going through the archway.
4) The approach trail is written about in the book "A Walk In the Woods".

Bronk
12-22-2016, 12:40
If you are going to hike 2200 miles, does it matter if you skip it?

If you are going to hike 2200 miles, does it matter if you hike it?

If you are going to hike 2200 miles, why would anyone else care whether you do or not?

If you are going to hike 2200 miles, why not just start on the Pinhoti trail...its only a few miles more?

Pressure D
12-23-2016, 01:19
I didn't do the approach trail but never missed a foot of the rest of the trail! Do what ever you want, there is no right answer!

MtDoraDave
12-25-2016, 22:23
Another thing... after a few weeks on the trail, you will probably have hiked more than 8 miles to/from shelters and water sources... so why not do the 8 mile approach trail for the full experience?

-Rush-
12-26-2016, 01:09
I did it in the dark. Arriving at that first shelter (Black Gap) at 11:30pm and seeing two hikers having a shakedown by Lacie light in the shelter was awesome. If you've never taken any shakedown hikes I highly recommend it. It will give you valuable insight into what you're about to face after you summit Springer. Easy to bail out if it's not your thing. Most of all.. some great memories occurred in that 6 something miles that I'll never forget.

QiWiz
12-29-2016, 16:32
I did the approach trail because I thought it was a nicer way to get to Springer summit (rather than be driven on a forest road and backtrack on the AT to the summit). HYOH.

Dogwood
12-29-2016, 20:12
Another thing... after a few weeks on the trail, you will probably have hiked more than 8 miles to/from shelters and water sources... so why not do the 8 mile approach trail for the full experience?

i don't remember all the AT lean to names but several are .5 mile or more off the main tread. Inevitably, the lean-tos furthest off the main AT tread when hiking in the NOBO bubble always have been the least crowded. At two, one lean to something like .7 and another .9 miles off the main tread within the NOBO bubble I had either all to myself or were less than half filled to their max occupancy. :-?

Ever meet those anal hikers, particularly AT thru-hikers, that make a point of relating the total distance hiked that day that includes distances to and from lean-tos and to and from resupply?
Hey did you check out Shuckstack, Annapolis Rocks, Crabtree Falls, Killington Resort, or so and so overlook? Nah, with disgust they say that was a mile off trail. :-?

George
12-29-2016, 20:34
nice to dawdle around the visitor center, sign in, take a glance at who else signed recently that you may run into - isn't it supposed to be vacation?

Dogwood
12-30-2016, 00:39
I did it in the dark. Arriving at that first shelter (Black Gap) at 11:30pm and seeing two hikers having a shakedown by Lacie light in the shelter was awesome. If you've never taken any shakedown hikes I highly recommend it. It will give you valuable insight into what you're about to face after you summit Springer. Easy to bail out if it's not your thing. Most of all.. some great memories occurred in that 6 something miles that I'll never forget.

Do tell....???

-Rush-
12-30-2016, 00:47
Do tell....???

Sorry to disappoint you Dogwood, but there was no Gregory Abbot playing. :D

Dogwood
12-30-2016, 10:23
LOL, that's not where I was going. I don't know what Lacie light is? :-?

-Rush-
12-30-2016, 11:39
LOL, that's not where I was going. I don't know what Lacie light is? :-?

It's one of the inflatable solar powered lights. I had the name wrong.. the brand is Luci.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2016, 11:42
It's one of the inflatable solar powered lights. I had the name wrong.. the brand is Luci.

something seems wrong with term "solar powered light"

-Rush-
12-30-2016, 11:52
something seems wrong with term "solar powered light"

Unless you're spelunking, charging a solar powered light during the day sets you up nicely when the sun goes down.

RockDoc
12-30-2016, 14:53
I watched a guy vomit during the speedy curvy drive into Springer (trail name "Pull Over"). Doing the approach trail is a way to avoid that drive, since most hikers go there anyway to register. But either way works, there should be no pressure to do the AT only one official way IMO.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2016, 15:08
I watched a guy vomit during the speedy curvy drive into Springer (trail name "Pull Over"). Doing the approach trail is a way to avoid that drive, since most hikers go there anyway to register. But either way works, there should be no pressure to do the AT only one official way IMO.

My shuttle picked up a few hikers that were soaked from heavy rains the previous day, dropped more at Springer FS42 lot, then finally got to Amicalola.
By the time it got there I was carsick and had to sit down in bathroom for about 45 minutes.

On the plus side they only charged me $7 after sharing the ride with so many.

Bring dramamine is my best advice. Followed by dont sit in the back.
Seriously, you will not regret it.

Flying down twisty FS roads is like an amusement park ride.
Unless you are solo on your shuttle, theres no guarantee Amicalola is easier than Springer, you could be the last stop and have it the worst.

liteweight
12-30-2016, 15:55
I made the decision to walk the approach trail the summit of Springer. I stayed at the Hiker Hostel the night before and it was about 50/50 on who did the extra miles. I enjoyed the hike.

MtDoraDave
12-31-2016, 11:04
i don't remember all the AT lean to names but several are .5 mile or more off the main tread. Inevitably, the lean-tos furthest off the main AT tread when hiking in the NOBO bubble always have been the least crowded. At two, one lean to something like .7 and another .9 miles off the main tread within the NOBO bubble I had either all to myself or were less than half filled to their max occupancy. :-?

Ever meet those anal hikers, particularly AT thru-hikers, that make a point of relating the total distance hiked that day that includes distances to and from lean-tos and to and from resupply?
Hey did you check out Shuckstack, Annapolis Rocks, Crabtree Falls, Killington Resort, or so and so overlook? Nah, with disgust they say that was a mile off trail. :-?

I do figure those in daily, when planning my day. When I figure up the miles for the week (so far I have only done week-long trips) on the trail, I add in those distances because people want to know "how far did you hike?" and whether it's 69 miles or 87 miles, they are usually awed.

However in my running total of AT miles, I don't count the "extra miles"; I stick with what the mile marker in the Guidebook says... plus the miles in the Smokies, since I've done that section twice.

I do sometimes go off the trail a bit to get to a shelter for the night, but I won't do that for a lunch stop. The furthest "detour" I've taken is to Whitley Gap Shelter (1.2 mi off trail) because that was after a resupply at Neel Gap (a delay), followed by a heavy loaded trek up the hill on a full belly ... and the next shelter was 4.8 miles further. My hiking partner didn't feel he could do 4.8 miles after that butt kicking climb out of Tesnatee Gap.

MuddyWaters
12-31-2016, 11:28
I do figure those in daily, when planning my day. When I figure up the miles for the week (so far I have only done week-long trips) on the trail, I add in those distances because people want to know "how far did you hike?" and whether it's 69 miles or 87 miles, they are usually awed.

However in my running total of AT miles, I don't count the "extra miles"; I stick with what the mile marker in the Guidebook says... plus the miles in the Smokies, since I've done that section twice.

I do sometimes go off the trail a bit to get to a shelter for the night, but I won't do that for a lunch stop. The furthest "detour" I've taken is to Whitley Gap Shelter (1.2 mi off trail) because that was after a resupply at Neel Gap (a delay), followed by a heavy loaded trek up the hill on a full belly ... and the next shelter was 4.8 miles further. My hiking partner didn't feel he could do 4.8 miles after that butt kicking climb out of Tesnatee Gap.

I take off trail miles into account planning days, because it does matter.
Sometimes a shelter is .5 mile off trail, and water is 0.25 miles more , all downhill.

I remember the Whitley gap shelter sign. I thought W..T...F...would go that far off trail for a stinkin shelter? Not me thats for sure. Now if it had an incredible view or something, then maybe.

pilgrimskywheel
12-31-2016, 12:37
Yes. Because it's there.