PDA

View Full Version : Down booties

eggymane
12-20-2016, 22:32
The booties for your feet..not the one you sit on. Anyone ever used them? And how well do they work? I've got my system down to where I don't need a sleeping bag until it gets under 20 degrees but my feet could use the littlest bit of extra warmth. im looking at the ones from Zpacks.

Dogwood
12-20-2016, 22:51
I still use my Goose Feet Down Booties Ben made me from like 7-8 yrs ago. I love them for winter for foot warmth specific gear. They disappear into my pack. I've never used the over bootie. Put em on once my feet are dry to sleep in. They aren't constructed for walking around camp without the over boot. SUL.

hyperslug
12-21-2016, 01:14
I own the Western Mountaineering and wear them often at home in the winter. They have foam in the sole but still mush enough to sleep in. If I decide to walk around camp I have a pair of Tyvek booties to go over them.

fastfoxengineering
12-21-2016, 02:11
Sorry to sound skeptical, but if I read that correctly you don't use a sleeping bag until it drops below twenty degrees? Do you use a quilt or something? I figure if someone has a system they can take down to twenty with no bag they probably wouldn't be asking about the effectiveness of down booties in such a vague way.

Please elaborate on your system more. I'm just confused.

On the other hand. I kinda wanna get down booties to leave in my pack all the time. I sometimes get cold feet below 50 degrees and they can take forever to warm up in my quilt. A luxury item worth having imo. I just gotta save up the coin cause they're not cheap

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

eggymane
12-21-2016, 03:48
I use a 30 degree underquilt in my hammock, utilize layering my clothing, and properly setting up my tarp- no additional insulation on top. To keep my face warm from any stray breeze I'll pull my merino balaclava over my face if necessary, and I'll also wear my fleece gloves as well if necessary.

I slept comfortably at Overmountain Shelter at 23 degrees most recently, plus I'm a really really warm sleeper naturally. I had to come up with a light system for winter hiking or abandon it outright, my right knee is in bad shape and carrying the weight in cold weather makes it really painful. My base weight is a hair over 6 pounds now for winter.

At 23 degrees my toes got slightly chilled, hence why I'm wondering about the down booties. Wearing those over my wool socks seems like the most lightweight solution with the most warmth.

eggymane
12-21-2016, 03:51
I still use my Goose Feet Down Booties Ben made me from like 7-8 yrs ago. I love them for winter for foot warmth specific gear. They disappear into my pack. I've never used the over bootie. Put em on once my feet are dry to sleep in. They aren't constructed for walking around camp without the over boot. SUL.

Zpacks sells the boots Ben supplies, they sound like they'll be what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Engine
12-21-2016, 05:10
I bought my wife a pair of Sidekicks booties from Enlightened Equipment for Christmas. This is a synthetic insulated booty, but the price was right and they are very light. They just arrived the other day and I haven't even opened the package yet, so I can't review the product. But, I can say the envelope was so lite I wondered if there was anything in it. I ordered the 4 Apex version and in her size they should be < 2 ounces.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/sidekicks/

swisscross
12-21-2016, 10:54
I have a pair of GFG. They are well made, light and warm...maybe too warm.
Purchased them to experiment pushing the limit of my bag from 30 into the teens.
Talked to Ben before purchasing them and he suggested overfilling them, either 50 or 75%.
I went with 50% overfill and it has been plenty.
Anything around 20 degrees or warmer I have kick them off in the middle of the night.

My daughter love them.
Pretty funny to see my 9yo daughter wearing lime green puffy socks, size xl. Looks very Grinch like.

Lyle
12-21-2016, 12:27
For winter hiking, down booties are a GREAT addition. Keeps your feet toasty while sitting around, and when you retire to your bag, they make a world of difference for your feet. Often they become too hot and have to be removed at some point during the night, but just leave them in the bag. In the morning, they will again keep your feet nice and warm while packing up.

Water Rat
12-21-2016, 12:50
I apologize for the hijack this thread...

Does anyone know if there are any companies that make down knee warmers? I do not have issues with my feet getting cold, but I do have a bad knee. When my knee gets cold (usually at night) it takes bit to get it warmed up and moving again in the morning. I have noticed it is a lot "happier" if I keep something wrapped around it when i sleep. This thread got me thinking that maybe some company might makes knee warmers (just a simple 8" down sleeve with maybe a adjustable hem at both ends to keep it from slipping), or know of a company that would make something like this?

swisscross
12-21-2016, 13:08

Does anyone know if there are any companies that make down knee warmers? I do not have issues with my feet getting cold, but I do have a bad knee. When my knee gets cold (usually at night) it takes bit to get it warmed up and moving again in the morning. I have noticed it is a lot "happier" if I keep something wrapped around it when i sleep. This thread got me thinking that maybe some company might makes knee warmers (just a simple 8" down sleeve with maybe a adjustable hem at both ends to keep it from slipping), or know of a company that would make something like this?

Luke's Ultralite makes down leg warmers.
He does custom work. Give him a shout.

Lyle
12-21-2016, 13:10

Does anyone know if there are any companies that make down knee warmers?

Never heard of any. Could probably contact some of the Cottage Manufacturers, see if they would do a special order. Probably be pricey.

Another option might be something like this. Cut to the size you want, then hem and include an elastic draw cord. Would be cheap and effective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNISSUED-US-MILITARY-M-65-COLD-WEATHER-QUILTED-FIELD-PANTS-LINER-XS-REG-SHT/142211325951?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Dec3c1d96d89c45a5b78 1dbe3420de2e6%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D13% 26sd%3D252098204021 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252098204021?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true)

Water Rat
12-21-2016, 18:17
Never heard of any. Could probably contact some of the Cottage Manufacturers, see if they would do a special order. Probably be pricey.

Another option might be something like this. Cut to the size you want, then hem and include an elastic draw cord. Would be cheap and effective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNISSUED-US-MILITARY-M-65-COLD-WEATHER-QUILTED-FIELD-PANTS-LINER-XS-REG-SHT/142211325951?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Dec3c1d96d89c45a5b78 1dbe3420de2e6%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D13% 26sd%3D252098204021 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252098204021?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true)

Thanks for the idea. After I made my post, I had the idea of hitting the thrift stores after Christmas to see if I can find a down coat. I figure the sleeve of the coat could be cut down to 8" and then I can hem my own adjustable cords into either end. But, I am still holding out the hope that maybe someone has seen something like this already on the market. :)

saltysack
12-21-2016, 18:51
Cheap down jacket from Costco...cut off sleeves for knees and have a down vest also...2 for 1....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franco
12-21-2016, 19:46
"Wearing those over my wool socks seems like the most lightweight solution with the most warmth."
just for general info, those socks should be clean/dry and loose. Tight socks can cut the circulation therefore making the feet go cold. (not as much of a problem in daylight).
generally I define tight socks those that leave a mark on the skin.
I have the WM down booties with that thin sole, never used them around camp but in the tent they work.

kevperro
12-21-2016, 20:00
As I've aged I find keeping feet/hands warm more important in staying comfortable in camp. The Goosefeet booties are highly recommended. I rarely leave them home.