PDA

View Full Version : Bear Canisters? Really?

bamboo bob
12-21-2016, 22:16
The ATC strongly recommends using a bear-resistant canister between Springer Mountain and

Damascus, Va., Is this for real? I recall around Bear Mt or Woods Hole but all the way to Damascus. Overly cautious? I have one from the PCT High Sierras but I don't want to carry that monster.

Tipi Walter
12-21-2016, 22:24
They are apparently trying to cover their butts in case anything might happen. It's overly litigious.

Slo-go'en
12-21-2016, 22:31
It might be a good idea to use a canister down there for now. Between the fires and the drought, food is probably getting scarcer then usual and add in all the extra people hiking down there, bound to have more problems. Weren't there already a lot more bear incidents then usual last year?

One Half
12-21-2016, 22:38
The ATC strongly recommends using a bear-resistant canister between Springer Mountain and

Damascus, Va., Is this for real? I recall around Bear Mt or Woods Hole but all the way to Damascus. Overly cautious? I have one from the PCT High Sierras but I don't want to carry that monster.

Is this part of the area that got burned or near enough that nearby bears may be encroaching and more aggressive next spring due to the burnt food sources.

MuddyWaters
12-21-2016, 22:43
The ATC has had this recommendation out all this year, nothing new.

Im guessing they are being proactive with they skyrocketing # of hikers in spring. More people means more encounters.
At some point it may become required if that happens.

Sarcasm the elf
12-21-2016, 22:49

The ATC has the burden of providing one-size-fits-all advice to an increasingly large and inexperienced throng of hikers that uses the A.T. many of whom often use abysmally bad bear bagging techniques or are unaware of food storage practices to begin with.

I don't agree that the recommendation is necessary, but I don't fault them for making it.

Sarcasm the elf
12-21-2016, 22:51
Is this part of the area that got burned or near enough that nearby bears may be encroaching and more aggressive next spring due to the burnt food sources.

They put out the recommendation months prior to the fires. I believe it was simply in response to the increasing popularity of the trail and the relative inexperience of many of it's users.

Leanthree
12-22-2016, 00:42
FWIW I saw 0 bears on my PCT thru hike and have seen 7 in just the 500 miles of the AT I have done.

Anecdotal, sure, but if anywhere were to require bear canisters the AT makes as much sense as anywhere.

Traveler
12-22-2016, 05:50
Its a recommendation not a rule. Not everyone is well schooled in this, or other general recommendations the ATC makes that are designed to inform and advise novice hikers.

HooKooDooKu
12-22-2016, 11:16
While the extra weight and space required by a bear canister is a hassle, I must admit that I otherwise liked using a bear canister during my JMT thru. You never had to take any time to hang the canister, and your food was safe from critters large and small. Bear canisters are currently required along large sections of the JMT and all of Yosemite because of the density of people and bears. If the popularity of the AT continues to increase, I could see the same thing happening here.

Of course I have to admit that I was hiking with a Bearikad. I loved how easy they are to open (if you have a coin).

colorado_rob
12-22-2016, 11:42
While the extra weight and space required by a bear canister is a hassle, I must admit that I otherwise liked using a bear canister during my JMT thru. You never had to take any time to hang the canister, and your food was safe from critters large and small. ...

Of course I have to admit that I was hiking with a Bearikad. I loved how easy they are to open (if you have a coin).Yeah, really, they also make a great little camp seat. 2 pounds, a lot, but not the end of the world. We're about ready to pull the trigger on a berikade.... waiting though to see if URsacks become legal in the sierra.

Hosh
12-22-2016, 11:50
They are apparently trying to cover their butts in case anything might happen. It's overly litigious. What's next? Must we all carry SPOT devices? GPS's? Shouldn't the trail be paved? Fly a personal drone ahead of you to scope out the trail? Put limits on daily mileage? Everyone needs to tinkle wearing bear bells?

Canisters are being required more and more in the West.

Bears that become habitual food thieves are usually caught and euthanized. Not a good deal for the bear, so suck it up, what's 3 more #'s.

Puddlefish
12-22-2016, 13:04
On one hand I don't want to see bears killed because of my poor habits. On the other hand, I used a hang bag and didn't feed any bears.

The most common bear feeding activity I saw were 1) hikers cooking at shelters... sloppily spilling food with no attempt to clean it up. 2.) Dumping leftovers, unliked food 50 feet from a shelter. 3.) Unattended "trail magic" food left at shelters and near roads. 4.) lazy bear bag hangs.

I saw a bunch of bears, mostly doing bear things. But in the Smokies they were some hanging around the shelters, waiting for the hikers to leave, because they knew there'd be bits of food left around. A canister won't solve three of the four problems I noticed.

I do rather like the idea of using one for a stool, might save my knees for the actual trail.

Tipi Walter
12-22-2016, 13:09

Bears that become habitual food thieves are usually caught and euthanized. Not a good deal for the bear, so suck it up, what's 3 more #'s.

My trips usually include around 45 lbs of food which would require around 3 bear canisters. Or maybe four. What's another 12 lbs of plastic to an already heavy pack?

Deadeye
12-22-2016, 13:14
They are apparently trying to cover their butts in case anything might happen. It's overly litigious.

Really? You think people are suing the ATC for losing food to bears? C'mon man. Far more likely they're just trying to protect people's vacations and bears' lives.

Tipi Walter
12-22-2016, 13:33
Really? You think people are suing the ATC for losing food to bears? C'mon man. Far more likely they're just trying to protect people's vacations and bears' lives.

They're trying to control the "wilderness" experience. Bear attacks whether involving food or not are accidents which go with wilderness travel. Lightning also kills or injures backpackers on the AT---so should we be required to leave the trail and seek indoor shelter during every thunderstorm? Death by bear attack comes with wilderness travel, it's part of the landscape. Like lyme disease and giardia.

Plus, even if you carry a canister with all your food, you're still inside your tent with a stomach bag full of food---easily smelled by any bear. How do you hang your stomach or put it into a canister??

The best way to protect bears is to stop bear hunting with dogs and to not routinely slaughter bears who disturb or molest hikers.

HooKooDooKu
12-22-2016, 13:49
I saw a bunch of bears, mostly doing bear things. But in the Smokies they were some hanging around the shelters, waiting for the hikers to leave, because they knew there'd be bits of food left around.
The only reason bear canisters (so far) are not required in GSMNP is because you can only camp at designated locations, and each of those locations have those bear cables to make it simple for people to properly hang their food.

One day, I started a hike before sunrise. I reached an AT shelter to sit down and rest about the same time shelter occupants from that night were finishing up there packing for the morning. As I sat there quietly, it wasn't more than 1 minute after they left that a bear came around the corner to see what left-overs he could find.

MuddyWaters
12-22-2016, 14:01
The best way to protect bears is to stop bear hunting with dogs and to not routinely slaughter bears who disturb or molest hikers.

Let a few bears develop a taste for tasty hiker meat, and we might solve the overcrowding issue as well.

The reason we have so few bear problems, is when one figures out we are edible and it can overpower us,...we kill it.

Secondmouse
12-22-2016, 14:03

if it's not a law, do it or don't. there is a short section (7mi or so) in GA that one was required but that was only if you were camping there. walking through you were fine.

anyway, what's the problem? it's a recommendation, would you rather they didn't say anything?..

V Eight
12-22-2016, 16:05
In 2014/15 in my area NOBO mile 700+/- we had a very poor wild nut crop. I never did really find out why, just that we did. There was a lot more bear/human interaction in the early spring due to this. Remember the video of the 4 or 5 bears at Lambert's Meadow shelter (or was it Campbell?). Those bears were hungry and that was from a poor crop of one of their food sources. What happens when there is no food!

It’s not all dome & gloom.

Many times after fires like this grass is one of the first things to come back. The bears will eat that if that is the only thing around. Berries, flowers and Nut trees will be slower to come along, as there will be nearly no pollinators in the worst hit areas.

My neighbor was a national forest ranger for 30 some odd years, thinks starting very soon the bears that would have found something to forage on, will be coming to town. I would expect bear/human interaction in the worst of the burn areas to be way up.
Right now I don’t have any plans to hike in those areas, but if I were to go done there before the berry crop was in full swing, I would probably use a canister.

V8

pilgrimskywheel
12-22-2016, 17:09
Bear canisters don't do much to stop bears from coming around (you smell like food) they stop bears from getting at your calories and becoming habituated. (I have not conducted extensive scholarly research to support this, just hiked around in bear country.) I bought a canister in Lone Pine for the Sierras (where I also mistakenly believed crampons and poles were required - they're not as it turns out: my B!) and I hated it so much I gifted it to another hiker and borrowed and ErSack for as long as I thought I could get away with it - then ditched it too. (Turns out rangers don't really care, or have any authority anyway I'm told.) I thought the sacks we're approved now, but am not sure - I do know they are way better than that stupid can which makes a great seat, and a drum too by the way. Where else are you going to put your "I'm a hiker" stickers when your Nalgene is covered with dogma? Don't worry - I'm sure the facts are forthcoming! Only 70 days of meteorological winter left!

HooKooDooKu
12-22-2016, 17:27
Bear canisters don't do much to stop bears from coming around (you smell like food) they stop bears from getting at your calories and becoming habituated. (I have not conducted extensive scholarly research to support this, just hiked around in bear country.) I bought a canister in Lone Pine for the Sierras (where I also mistakenly believed crampons and poles were required - they're not as it turns out: my B!) and I hated it so much I gifted it to another hiker and borrowed and ErSack for as long as I thought I could get away with it - then ditched it too. (Turns out rangers don't really care, or have any authority anyway I'm told.) I thought the sacks we're approved now, but am not sure - I do know they are way better than that stupid can which makes a great seat, and a drum too by the way. Where else are you going to put your "I'm a hiker" stickers when your Nalgene is covered with dogma? Don't worry - I'm sure the facts are forthcoming! Only 70 days of meteorological winter left!
While I can't say for all of the Sierras, in some parts, like National Parks, rangers are LEOs and park rules are effectively "law".
So it is a mistake to claim rangers do not have any authority.

Additionally, in most (if not all) sections of the Sierra where bear canisters are required, the UrSack has NOT been approved as a bear resistant container. The problem is that the sack still allows the bear to chew on the bag allowing food to mix with their saliva and provide the bear with something of a food reward.

ScareBear
12-22-2016, 17:28
Its a recommendation not a rule. Not everyone is well schooled in this, or other general recommendations the ATC makes that are designed to inform and advise novice hikers.

Wrong. Between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap, including both shelters(Wood's Hole and Blood Mountain), it's the law. Not a recommendation.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf

Alligator
12-22-2016, 17:55
Wrong. Between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap, including both shelters(Wood's Hole and Blood Mountain), it's the law. Not a recommendation.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdfDid you read that? It expired June 1, 2016. Has a new one been issued?

Venchka
12-22-2016, 18:05
.... waiting though to see if URsacks become legal in the sierra.

Don't hold your breath. California is a different universe.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
12-22-2016, 20:29
Don't hold your breath. California is a different universe.
Wayne
I know, I know. Still, I'll wait until I have to buy the $200 canister, one never knows.

By the way, I've used two canisters on previous long hikes, neither is any way odor proof. Bears can smell canisters a mile away. I guess they just learn very quickly that they simply cannot get to the food inside them.

ScareBear
12-22-2016, 23:12
Did you read that? It expired June 1, 2016. Has a new one been issued?

Still appears on the Chattahoochie-Oconee NF web page. You are correct, though. The order does seem to have expired June of this year....

I'll phone down to the Forest Supervisor and/or Info Officer tomorrow when they are at work to see about 2017.

FS LE Rangers carry pistols, shotguns and M4 rifles and drive marked units with lights and sirens and are both Rangers and Law Enforcement.

HooKooDooKu
12-23-2016, 00:56
I know, I know. Still, I'll wait until I have to buy the $200 canister, one never knows.

By the way, I've used two canisters on previous long hikes, neither is any way odor proof. Bears can smell canisters a mile away. I guess they just learn very quickly that they simply cannot get to the food inside them.

Correct. The whole idea is the bear finds a canister for the first time and plays with it for an hour trying to get into it before he gives up. The next day, a different camper comes by with a similar canister, sniffs it a few times, then moves on because he remembers wastin g an hour trying to get into one of these yesterday.
If all campers properly use the cannister, even in areas where there is a dense bear population, bears will quickly learn people are not a source of food and they done create a problem. At least that's the theory.

AfterParty
12-23-2016, 01:10
I like the idea of one I can't say I will carry one I would like to do the triple someday anyways so I will need on pct an CDT I think parts anyways. So I may just get the http://www.wild-ideas.net/the-weekender/ before my AT and be satisfied, maybe the bigger one? I like this one but I may wait to buy until I actually need it.

MuddyWaters
12-23-2016, 01:24
Correct. The whole idea is the bear finds a canister for the first time and plays with it for an hour trying to get into it before he gives up. The next day, a different camper comes by with a similar canister, sniffs it a few times, then moves on because he remembers wastin g an hour trying to get into one of these yesterday.
If all campers properly use the cannister, even in areas where there is a dense bear population, bears will quickly learn people are not a source of food and they done create a problem. At least that's the theory.

And it works .
Bear cannisters reduced human-bear interactions in sierra by 95%

ScareBear
12-23-2016, 11:00
Still appears on the Chattahoochie-Oconee NF web page. You are correct, though. The order does seem to have expired June of this year....

I'll phone down to the Forest Supervisor and/or Info Officer tomorrow when they are at work to see about 2017.

FS LE Rangers carry pistols, shotguns and M4 rifles and drive marked units with lights and sirens and are both Rangers and Law Enforcement.
It seems that the FS offices are closed today. I will try again Monday...

colorado_rob
12-23-2016, 11:08
I like the idea of one I can't say I will carry one I would like to do the triple someday anyways so I will need on pct an CDT I think parts anyways. So I may just get the http://www.wild-ideas.net/the-weekender/ before my AT and be satisfied, maybe the bigger one? I like this one but I may wait to buy until I actually need it.that's the model I will buy as well, assuming ursacks don't become legal in the sierra by next september when we attempt the sierra high route. My wife borrowed one of these on our first jmt thru, she managed 7 days food in it, very tightly packed.

HooKooDooKu
12-23-2016, 11:30
It took getting a little creative, but I managed about 9-10 days food in a Bearikade Expedition (~1,000cuin) at ~4,000 calories per day.
What I loved about the Bearikade is how easy it is to get into (so long as you can keep up with a coin).
On the 2nd morning of my JMT thru, a neighboring camper came over to my camp asking for help to open a BearVault they were using. It took two people to open that BearVault that morning... one to squeeze the side in to get past the tabs while the other turned the canister.

Tipi Walter
12-23-2016, 11:47
It took getting a little creative, but I managed about 9-10 days food in a Bearikade Expedition (~1,000cuin) at ~4,000 calories per day.
What I loved about the Bearikade is how easy it is to get into (so long as you can keep up with a coin).
On the 2nd morning of my JMT thru, a neighboring camper came over to my camp asking for help to open a BearVault they were using. It took two people to open that BearVault that morning... one to squeeze the side in to get past the tabs while the other turned the canister.

I was out on a trip a couple years ago when a black bear worried my bearvault to death but didn't reach the food!!!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-TmKPR4J/0/L/BEAR%20DAMAGE%20006-L.jpg
Food 1, Bear 0.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-dVmCNJS/0/L/BEAR%20DAMAGE%20009-L.jpg
But he did get to my Thermarest, dangit. Bear 1 Thermy 0

And you're right, BearVaults can be a . . . uh . . . bear to get into esp when cold. It kills the fingers trying to turn the lid while pressing in.

Bearikade can make any size you want as a custom order (not cheap) and so you could always carry a behemoth canister and probably get in enough food for a 15 day uninterrupted trip. Plus, imagine filling the thing up with raw foods like unpackaged oatmeal---just start pouring in the dehydrated foods without any packaging and spoon it out when needed. Who cares if your oats are mixed with your mac and cheese mixed with your chili beans mixed with your ramen noodles? It's all going into the same cathole eventually.

wannahike
12-23-2016, 11:55
[QUOTE=ScareBear;2113795]Still appears on the Chattahoochie-Oconee NF web page. You are correct, though. The order does seem to have expired June of this year....

It has expired in June every year it has been in place. I think it starts in March with thru hikers and ends in June.

Hosh
12-23-2016, 12:01
I was out on a trip a couple years ago when a black bear worried my bearvault to death but didn't reach the food!!!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-TmKPR4J/0/L/BEAR%20DAMAGE%20006-L.jpg
Food 1, Bear 0.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/16-Days-with-a-Miracle-Dog/i-dVmCNJS/0/L/BEAR%20DAMAGE%20009-L.jpg
But he did get to my Thermarest, dangit. Bear 1 Thermy 0

And you're right, BearVaults can be a . . . uh . . . bear to get into esp when cold. It kills the fingers trying to turn the lid while pressing in.

Use a credit card or a small knife blade

B.j. Clark
12-23-2016, 12:36
Use a credit card or a small knife blade

Here's a good visual of the easy way to open a vault, even when it's cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUTs_w6_pA

Greenlight
12-23-2016, 13:49
It's all going into the same cathole eventually.

I like your style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rocketsocks
12-23-2016, 22:18
I like the idea of one I can't say I will carry one I would like to do the triple someday anyways so I will need on pct an CDT I think parts anyways. So I may just get the http://www.wild-ideas.net/the-weekender/ before my AT and be satisfied, maybe the bigger one? I like this one but I may wait to buy until I actually need it.just on general principle I'll not pay that much...surely there's a better/cheaper mouse trap out there somewhere, I had no idea these were that much, I'm shocked!

Sarcasm the elf
12-23-2016, 22:26
Here's a good visual of the easy way to open a vault, even when it's cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUTs_w6_pA

Appreciate you posting this.

I'm not a canister person, never used one before, so when I was at REI today I noticed they had a BV450 out on display and I decided I'd try to open it because of some of the comments on this thread. For the life of me I couldn't get the darn thing open with my bear hands. :eek:.

Sarcasm the elf
12-23-2016, 22:30

Bamboo Bob - There seems to be some confusion in this discussion regarding just which canister order we're talking about. Can you clarify that you are referring to the ATC's voluntary recommendation to use a canister between Springer and Damascus, and not the mandatory canister requirement issued by the USFS Forest Supervisor that applies to the section between Jarrard gap and Neels gap?

rafe
12-23-2016, 22:35
just on general principle I'll not pay that much...surely there's a better/cheaper mouse trap out there somewhere, I had no idea these were that much, I'm shocked!

That's your Rolls-Royce model right there. google finds me one for $75 at REI. I hear they're required in the DAKs these days. I carried one for a few days on the JMT. We rented them, I think $5 a day. Kind of a pain. I mean, these things aren't light. The one from REI is 2 lb. 11 oz.

On the AT? I dunno. I think maybe overkill but I hear more and more stories of bear encounters. I also see more and more shelters and campsites with bear boxes.

imscotty
12-23-2016, 22:58
just on general principle I'll not pay that much...surely there's a better/cheaper mouse trap out there somewhere, I had no idea these were that much, I'm shocked!

I was very happy with my Bearikade on my JMT hike, but it did cost a pretty penny. Looks like prices have gone up considerably since then.

Be aware that the Bearikade is NOT approved by the IGBC for use in Grizzly country.

Sarcasm the elf
12-23-2016, 23:06
I was very happy with my Bearikade on my JMT hike, but it did cost a pretty penny. Looks like prices have gone up considerably since then.

Be aware that the Bearikade is NOT approved by the IGBC for use in Grizzly country.

If he Bearikade isn't then what the heck is approved?

imscotty
12-23-2016, 23:18
If he Bearikade isn't then what the heck is approved?

Just about everything else it seems. Yes, that is a lot of money for a canister that is not approved for many of America's finest National Parks...

IGBC-Approved Bear-Resistant Products List
*This commercial products list and list of suppliers is for information only and does not implyany endorsement of one product or source over another. Products are generally arranged inalphabetical order.
**Products may be marketed or sold under different brand names.
BACK PACKING & SMALL STORAGE CONTAINERS
The Bare Boxer
Contender Model 101Champ Model 202
Golf City Productshttp://www.bareboxer.com/
BearVault
BV250 Solo
BV300
BV350 Solo
BV400
BV450 Solo
BV500
866-301-3442http://www.bearvault.com
Craftsman Tech Composites
Wise Backpack (~3600 in3 capacity) - IGBC Certification No. 3349626-448-4045
Counter Assault
The Bear Keg
406-257-4740 or 800-695-3394
http://www.counterassault.com
Garcia Machine Backpackers’ CacheModel 812
559-732-3785
http://www.backpackerscache.com
Lighter1 Bear Bins – Backpacker Cache
Big Daddy Model (2.29 lbs) - IGBC Certification No. 3350Lil’ Sami Model ( 1.34 lbs) - IGBC Certification No. 3351http://www.Lighter1.com

file:///page2image12352 file:///page2image12672 file:///page2image12832 file:///page2image12992 file:///page2image13152 file:///page2image13312 file:///page2image13472 file:///page2image13632 Page 2

Last modified December 16, 2016

Missoula Technical Development Center - Modifications to 50 Caliber Ammo BoxModifications to Military Medical Box, See Publ. # 9623-2325 MTDC.406-329-3900
http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/
Riley Stove Company
Grain Storage ContainerFood Storage ContainerInsulated Cooler406-266-5525
UDAP Industries Inc.“No Fed Bear” Canister866 BEAR 911www.pepperpower.com
Ursack
Food Storage Container - Model S29 AllWhite – IGBC Certification No. 3738415-777-1997 – Office
www.ursack.com
Vernon Matthews - Greif Bros Steel Drums Part #s:OH10-1R
OH8-1R 10 and 8 gal Drums
909-880-2146
Wes Mauz
Aluminum Canister
303-908-7383
World Safety Products - Models 1690, 1661 and 1600 with modified metal reinforced lid.95, 65 and 30 gallon, Overpack Plastic Drums
888-847-7190
http://www.worldsafetyproducts.com

imscotty
12-23-2016, 23:19
Well that lost something in translation, but you can download the approved canister list here...

http://igbconline.org/certified-products-list/

Venchka
12-25-2016, 17:05

Will you define that please? Where? Exactly? Thanks.
Wayne

colorado_rob
12-25-2016, 18:17
Will you define that please? Where? Exactly? Thanks.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkcouple new places in Colorado, for example; Rocky mtn NP, the Aspen area, maybe more just in CO. Part of the reason we're going to buy another one soon.

kimbur96
12-25-2016, 19:31
couple new places in Colorado, for example; Rocky mtn NP, the Aspen area, maybe more just in CO. Part of the reason we're going to buy another one soon.
I didn't know they are required in RMNP. is that year round? Was hoping to do a overnighter there next weekend.

colorado_rob
12-25-2016, 20:17
I didn't know they are required in RMNP. is that year round? Was hoping to do a overnighter there next weekend.
Good question, maybe not. Give them a call. Hope you're liking living in CO springs, we'll be climbing Pike's at least once this winter!

Dogwood
12-25-2016, 20:54
couple new places in Colorado, for example; Rocky mtn NP, the Aspen area, maybe more just in CO. Part of the reason we're going to buy another one soon.

Bear cans have been required in backcountry CS's in RM NP since 2009. It's not a very new regulation for that NP.

No May through the end of Oct they are required.

Dogwood
12-25-2016, 21:05
If all campers properly use the canister, even in areas where there is a dense bear population, bears will quickly learn people are not a source of food and they don't create a problem. At least that's the theory.

They operative word being they that includes not bears becoming a problem but humans not becoming a problem for the bears. It's the human responsible side of the human bear encounter equation that humans have proactive control of the most.

And it works .
Bear cannisters reduced human-bear interactions in sierra by 95%

I knew the canisters decreased human bear interactions in the backcountry but I never heard of it being reduced by 95%. WOW, where did you get that data? If that data holds up no doubt the ATC knew of it when they specifically mentioned and recommended the canister option for this reason. It protects people and bears.

The cans not only protect the bears but impact other wildlife behavior as well. Maybe, less rodent problems? Maybe, potential less snake problems? Maybe, less snakes being killed by humans?

kimbur96
12-25-2016, 21:44
Bear cans have been required in backcountry CS's in RM NP since 2009. It's not a very new regulation for that NP.

No May through the end of Oct they are required.
great, Thank you

Venchka
12-26-2016, 00:10
The 4 Pass Loop (Maroon Bells area) is relatively new.
Further north, Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, have slightly varying canister requirements fully described online and on the phone during the primary visitor season. GTNP provides canisters (Garcia or BV500). Not sure about the other two.
The Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks have bear boxes or hanging hardware at designated backcountry campsites.
All of the information is online.
Wayne

bamboo bob
12-26-2016, 12:03
if it's not a law, do it or don't. there is a short section (7mi or so) in GA that one was required but that was only if you were camping there. walking through you were fine.

anyway, what's the problem? it's a recommendation, would you rather they didn't say anything?.. No problem at all. The point of the question was to find out if people hiking the AT are actually carrying bear canisters on the AT. I don't care if they say anything about it at all really. If they were serious I would think they would include New Jersey. I carried a canister on the PCT where required it is an inconvenience but not that big of a deal. I've seen 54 bears over the years and they usually just run away and I don't find them much of a problem. but bear bagging is not difficult either and does the job if done properly.