View Full Version : Long Trail Brew

tflaris
12-22-2016, 02:52
Found this on Facebook.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/925ca43df8bac6e4e11a8e90aea7af10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
12-22-2016, 06:17
Now thats funny. My GF just brought one of these home for me. I'll probably drink it tonight during the football game.

bigcranky
12-22-2016, 08:47
Got one of those when we were in PA. Pretty good.

I have a soft spot for Long Trail ales, given how many of them we enjoyed on the Long Trail. (Starting with the train from DC to Vermont, the cafe car had Long Trail in bottles. :) )

Mags
12-22-2016, 13:29
Long Trail makes some good brews. I need to get some fall New England hiking in and have a Long Trail brew on tap!

Just Bill
12-22-2016, 13:39
Michigan, Vermont, Wisconsin... some fine trails and finer beers come from that good country.

Lotta good upstate NY beers too (Southern Tier may be debatable on a NY definition of "upstate" but not on tastiness).

egilbe
12-22-2016, 13:43
What about Maine beers? Huh? Huh?

Seems like the northern tier of states makes good beer. Must be those long Winters.

Just Bill
12-22-2016, 13:54
What about Maine beers? Huh? Huh?

Seems like the northern tier of states makes good beer. Must be those long Winters.

I'll take an Allagash White anyday... that's about the only Mainer brewery I know though... but tis some good stuff. Allagash Black was tasty too.

bigcranky
12-22-2016, 15:35
There are some *amazing* Vermont craft beers that don't make it out of the state. The locals drink it all. :)

Maineiac64
12-22-2016, 16:24
Heady Topper from Vermont is best beer I've ever had, nothing else comes even close. Unreal.

rocketsocks
12-22-2016, 18:56
Found this on Facebook.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/925ca43df8bac6e4e11a8e90aea7af10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI found a bottle cap of this on the beach in Virginia last year.

colorado_rob
12-22-2016, 20:25
The tall glass of LT brew (can't remember the variety, it was red), in the Long Trail Inn while I was finishing up the, er, Long trail is a memory of a lifetime! Yet another reason Vermont is our 2nd favorite state (with Maine a close third). Excellent beer, and excellent people. I think there is a correlation... maybe even a cause and effect going on?

I love that name and label "sick day" too. Couple other honorable mentions:
"Moose Drool" out of Montana, and "Polygamy Porter" ("Why have just one?"), out of... you guessed it, Utah.

CELTIC BUCK
12-23-2016, 09:09
After a bunch of days hiking with Walker my Lab; stayed at Inn of the Long Trail & had a couple of Drafts. Not sure what was better the 20 min shower; Long Trail Beer or the Great Food .All were appreciated.

jekerdud
12-30-2016, 17:18
For those planning their thru, or those doing a section in PA, there's a brewery based in Harrisburg that brews an IPA called "Hoppy Trails." They only sell to the Harrisburg area as far as I remember, I stopped at their main brewery a few years ago to do a tour when I was touring PA breweries. Not quite sure if they sell in Duncannon. However, they have a pub not too far from the trail. If you look at AWOL's guide for 2017, on page 116 is a picture of the Carlisle area and his listing of places to check out. Appalachian Brewing is on the list. To make it simple, when you hit route 11, instead of crossing and continuing to Duncannon, go east 5 miles and the pub is on the left a little over a quarter mile past Walmart.

I liked all the beer I tried there, so I will be making a stop there.

Starchild
12-30-2016, 18:12
Heady Topper from Vermont is best beer I've ever had, nothing else comes even close. Unreal.

Overrated, and btw no it does not taste any better drinking from the can. With that said it's a great 2xIPA, but many others not only 'come close' but edge it out.

bigcranky
12-30-2016, 19:54
Overrated, and btw no it does not taste any better drinking from the can. With that said it's a great 2xIPA, but many others not only 'come close' but edge it out.

Yeah, I made them give me a glass to drink it :) I thought it was a very good DIPA, but there are plenty of other good ones out there. Anything from Lawson's Finest Liquids, for example. :)

Bianchi Veloce
12-30-2016, 21:56
Make mine a Dirty Girl Blonde Ale from Nantahala Brewing Company, Bryson City, NC.

Cookerhiker
12-30-2016, 22:07
Long Trail makes some good brews. I need to get some fall New England hiking in and have a Long Trail brew on tap!

Mags, I live in Rutland now so if you come, look me up especially if you need a place to stay.

Got some LT Ale in the fridge right now!

Cookerhiker
12-30-2016, 22:09
I found a bottle cap of this on the beach in Virginia last year.

Since I moved to VT a mere 10 miles from the Inn at the Long Trail, I'm collecting the bottle caps.

Sarcasm the elf
12-30-2016, 22:10
I sadly skipped The Inn at The Long Trail during my section this summer due to time constraints.

Good thing that VT is so beautiful that I absolutely plan to rehike it. :sun

rocketsocks
12-31-2016, 04:56
Since I moved to VT a mere 10 miles from the Inn at the Long Trail, I'm collecting the bottle caps. Next year I'll keep and eye out for more, should I find them I'll give ya half as a friend of mine also collects bottle caps and trades with people across the pond, he's up to somewhere around 4,000 plus caps, all beers.

Kerosene
12-31-2016, 15:07
Michigan, Vermont, Wisconsin... some fine trails and finer beers come from that good country.

Lotta good upstate NY beers too (Southern Tier may be debatable on a NY definition of "upstate" but not on tastiness).Don't forget about Minnesota trails and craft beers (although the trails tend to be up north and many of the best breweries are in the Twin Cities)!

Rex Clifton
01-05-2017, 20:58
Do they brew this with mud?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bamboo bob
01-06-2017, 16:34
In my fridge right now. Common here in VT.

jeffmeh
01-06-2017, 19:01
The craft beer scene in Portland, ME is outstanding. I'm partial to Foundation, but in the interest of full disclosure one of my offspring works there. Many other worthy breweries as well. :)

http://foundationbrew.com/welcome/

T.S.Kobzol
01-07-2017, 08:17
Lately the brewery in the same building as foundation has captured my palate. Austin Street brewery and their Florens IPA is outstanding