PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Trail vs. Gossamer Gear Mariposa

DrewNC2005
01-18-2006, 23:47
Thinking about purchasing either the Vapor Trail or Mariposa. If anyone has experience with both packs and could give me their opinion on which they like better, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone with experience with either of them is welcome to give their $.02, too.

I've never used a pack that uses the pad as the frame so that is my hang up with the Mariposa - fear of the unknown I guess. I have tried on the Vapor Trail and it feels great but the pockets seem useless. That's where I am in my decision making process.

Frosty
01-19-2006, 00:23
Thinking about purchasing either the Vapor Trail or Mariposa. If anyone has experience with both packs and could give me their opinion on which they like better, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone with experience with either of them is welcome to give their $.02, too.

I've never used a pack that uses the pad as the frame so that is my hang up with the Mariposa - fear of the unknown I guess. I have tried on the Vapor Trail and it feels great but the pockets seem useless. That's where I am in my decision making process.I have a Mariposa, and love it. The external pockets are large and very useful. When I got it in the mail, I put 30 pounds in it to make sure it would carry okay. It felt horrible. I wondered if putting a pad into the sleeve would help, and folded my Big Agnes pad to fit. It was like putting on a completely different pack. The sleepign pad gives the pack a structure and load transfer that makes it as good as other heavier packs I own. I carried about 25 pounds on a trip this summer, and plan to use it on the AT this year.

I have never used a Vapor trail and so cannot comment.

calearn
01-19-2006, 00:35
I know that Mark, who hiked the CDT last year, had durability problems with the Mariposa. You can find his journal entry at http://www.startlivingthetruth.com/cdtjuly.htm under the 7/24 entry. He had to get a new pack after less than 1000 miles.

verber
01-19-2006, 03:22
Both are really nice packs. I have used the granite gear vapor trail as my primary pack for the last few years. I love it. Great carry comfort, good size for me. The side pockets hold things fine, and I can pull things out of the pockets with the pack on my back. The problem is that it's quite troublesome to put things back into the pockets without taking the pack off.

The Mariposa is also very nice. I check it out at a net-buddies house. The short time I tried it out it seemed pretty comfortable, especially with the carbon-fiber rods. I do have some concerns with the material. There are people with 4000+ miles on their GVP G4 packs, but I am a bit tougher on packs than they seem to be. Anyway the Mariposa would be a bit less durable, but should carry very well, has big accessible pockets, and is around 1lb lighter. I liked the shoulder straps, but some people find them a bit wide.

The other packs I would recommend checking out in this range are those made by Six Moon Designs. If you use a foam pad, you really should check out the StarLite.

--mark

DrewNC2005
01-19-2006, 10:28
thanks Mark...I checked out the Starlite and also saw the Comet on the Six Moon website. From the reviews I've read online and BackpackingLight's review of the Starlite, it appears as if the Starlite is a viable option as well. More expensive, but certainly not out of consideration. In particular, I really liked all of the mesh pockets - something the Vapor Trail doesn't have. How would you rate the comfort of the Starlite vs. Vapor Trail?

The only thing that worries me is the Starlite's ability to carry smaller loads. I did read that its performance and comfort level is not as good when the bag is not as full. The complaint was that the bag sagged due to no weight being towards the top of the bag. As I continually decrease my pack weight (already around 25 lbs for 3-5 days), I am worried that my loads may become too small for the pack's purpose. On the flip side, I really don't have much gear to "lighten up" - that process is pretty much finished.

While looking at the Starlite, I couldn't help but check out the Comet as well. Anybody had any experience with that one? I've read reviews and the common complaint seems to be about the adjustable suspension being difficult to manuever and the webbing/straps fraying.

I also noticed, upon further review, that the Mariposa does not have load lifters. Does that hurt its performance/ability to transfer weight off the shoulders and to the hips?

Footslogger
01-19-2006, 12:06
Can't offer a direct comparison in that I've never hiked with the Mariposa but I also have heard/read about the durability issues and the comfort at the 30 lb load level.

What I can tell you is that I've hiked the Vapor Trail now since 2003 and am very satisfied. My typical load is around 26 lbs with food and water and the VT handles it well.

'Slogger

PartnerShip
01-19-2006, 16:35
I am going to use the Vapor Trail this April for our first thru hike. I read lots of great reviews and think it will be perfect for me. I am a female, 5'5 and medium frame I guess, 145lbs. With not much experience backpacking I like the lightweight idea.
For those of you who have experience with the Vaport Trail I am curious as to how to attach things to the outside, crocs, sleeping pad etc or did you put all things inside? I got my pack on ebay for $60 and got the lid at a outfitter for $20. I also have a Granite Gear VIrga that I got from Outfitters at Harpers Ferry online that I dont think I can use because of being more like a ruck sack and the sleeping pad inside trick doesn't feel right. If anyone is interested, email me. I will pass on the deal I got , new for $60.00 and still have receipt.
Debbie

Frosty
01-19-2006, 17:03
Can't offer a direct comparison in that I've never hiked with the Mariposa but I also have heard/read about the durability issuesOne thing to remember is that the Mariposa weighs less than a pound. When you get down to very light gear, you are in essence trading weight for durability. This gear will last, but you must treat it carefully. Dropping lightweight gear onto the ground, overstuffing packs, etc is best done with heavier packs made from stronger materials. I am pretty fussy with gear, so this isn't a problem for me, but for the original poster, a good question might be do you need bomb-proof gear?

I would never take some of my gear on winter outings, or bushwhacking in the Northeast. This is why I have to continually explain to my wife why I really need a half dozen packs, three different pairs of gaiters, etc etc

Footslogger
01-19-2006, 17:07
[quote=Frosty]One thing to remember is that the Mariposa weighs less than a pound. When you get down to very light gear, you are in essence trading weight for durability.
===============================
Good point Frosty. In fact, when I switched from a Gregory pack to the Vapor Trail I experienced somewhat the same trade-off. I was never overly rough with my gear so it wasn't an issue for me but it is definitely something that needs to be considered when venturing into the lightweight and ultralightweight gear categories.

'Slogger

verber
01-19-2006, 17:46
How would you rate the comfort of the Starlite vs. Vapor Trail? The only thing that worries me is the Starlite's ability to carry smaller loads. While looking at the Starlite, I couldn't help but check out the Comet as well. Anybody had any experience with that one? I've read reviews and the common complaint seems to be about the adjustable suspension being difficult to manuever.

I tried the Starlite a couple of years ago. For me, the Vapor Trail was much more comfortable, but I used a thermarest and then switched to an insulated air mattress. I expect that the comfort would be been much closer with a foam pad. As to carrying smaller loads, I would agree that the StarLite isn't the best at compressing. I found that if I packed my sleeping quilt loosely, that this wasn't too much of a problem.

I have also used a prototype Comet. Some changes where made after the model I tried. I didn't find making the adjustments with the comet particularly difficult, and you only have to do that once. My observations are in http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/reviews/smd-comet.html

The full test has also been completed at BGT:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20and%20Day%20Packs/Six%20Moon%20Designs%20Comet/

--Mark

The Solemates
01-19-2006, 17:57
thanks Mark...I checked out the Starlite and also saw the Comet on the Six Moon website. From the reviews I've read online and BackpackingLight's review of the Starlite, it appears as if the Starlite is a viable option as well. More expensive, but certainly not out of consideration. In particular, I really liked all of the mesh pockets - something the Vapor Trail doesn't have. How would you rate the comfort of the Starlite vs. Vapor Trail?

The only thing that worries me is the Starlite's ability to carry smaller loads. I did read that its performance and comfort level is not as good when the bag is not as full. The complaint was that the bag sagged due to no weight being towards the top of the bag. As I continually decrease my pack weight (already around 25 lbs for 3-5 days), I am worried that my loads may become too small for the pack's purpose. On the flip side, I really don't have much gear to "lighten up" - that process is pretty much finished.

While looking at the Starlite, I couldn't help but check out the Comet as well. Anybody had any experience with that one? I've read reviews and the common complaint seems to be about the adjustable suspension being difficult to manuever and the webbing/straps fraying.

I also noticed, upon further review, that the Mariposa does not have load lifters. Does that hurt its performance/ability to transfer weight off the shoulders and to the hips?

check out the essence as well, which is lighter than all the above, and which i like better than the starlite or the comet. i was able to handle one at the soruck and ron really does a nice job with his packs. ive never seen a mariposa in person.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=44

wyclif
01-19-2006, 18:48
For those of you who have experience with the Vapor Trail I am curious as to how to attach things to the outside, crocs, sleeping pad etc or did you put all things inside?

I'm a fan of the Vapor Trail. Since the VT is a top-loader I advise using a regular Thermarest (not the accordion type) and when packing out roll it into a wide tube to give the pack support...it feels better and balanced that way...contents closer to my back.

Nevertheless, if you want to use a stuff sack arrangement you can strap the Thermarest (Z or whatever) on the pack. Depends on what you prefer...I like to keep only stuff I need handy on the outside of the pack.

I'd leave the lid (I've seen them)...redundant if you have a rain cover or trash compactor bag. Remember how important it is to keep your down bag dry!!!

Footslogger
01-19-2006, 19:08
[quote=PartnerShip]IFor those of you who have experience with the Vaport Trail I am curious as to how to attach things to the outside, crocs, sleeping pad etc or did you put all things inside?
==================================
For starters ...you got a great price on that pack. I bought mine in 2003 during my thru and payed the "going rate", which was substantially more than that. But hey ...I was a captive audience !!

Back to your question. I used the center compression straps to attach most things to the pack (which weren't many). What I carried there was a 4 section piece of Z-rest that I used as a seat, my Tyvek ground cloth and a folded up 4 liter platypus container. In the side pouches I carried my pack cover, tent stakes, water purifying stuff (AquaMira), food bag throw line and wet wipes. I carried Waldies (pre-Crocks) and I stuck the heels into the side pouches on each side and secured the toe ends under the top compression straps on each side. Everything else went on the inside. Worked like a champ and was a tight compact package.

'Slogger

Kerosene
01-19-2006, 21:22
For those of you who have experience with the Vapor Trail I am curious as to how to attach things to the outside, crocs, sleeping pad etc or did you put all things inside?I have a Nimbus Ozone, a slightly larger version of the VT and a heavier suspension, but the packing strategy is the same. I fold up my inflatable pad and put it on the bottom of the sack. I've taken to attaching my Crocs to the back-center compression strap using a caribiner. I've seen other folks carry their rolled tent or sleeping pad vertically underneath the back-center compression straps. Wet socks go underneath all of the other compression straps!

PartnerShip
01-19-2006, 22:11
Thanks so much for the info. I will try packing it this way and carrying it the month or so before the hike.
I appreciate all the advice and willingness to share on this website. Also met a lot of great folks from here at SORUCK this past weekend it was great. Debbie