PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Straps

partinj
12-25-2016, 23:22
I got hold of a Kelty Yukon LG 3500 it has no place to put straps for your sleeping bag on the bottom there are two cross bars that i thing i can rig of something do you guys have any ideals.

nsherry61
12-25-2016, 23:45
Back 40 years ago when we were using these packs, we just ran either cord or a pair of straps around the bottom cross bar and the second to the bottom crossbar and around the sleeping bag.

Kinda like the bag in this linked image (https://www.flickr.com/photos/12150532@N04/2843811515), except we'd try to center the straps on the bag so it wouldn't hang lopsided.

Venchka
12-26-2016, 00:18
Some paracord and some knot knowledge would work.
http://www.animatedknots.com
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
12-26-2016, 07:26
I have a gear manufacturer down the road and they have a pack and gear hardware shop in the basement of their store. They also sell raw nylon straps by the foot. I have a hand sewing awl that I use to permanently attach straps but with devices called triglides and quick release buckles, a semi permanent strap isn't that hard to rig up. having a set of straps dedicated for a sleeping bag is the way to go and by using hardware that allows you to cinch it down tight it works like a compression strap.

I haven't bought anything from this firm but they seem to stock everything you might need https://shop.owfinc.com/ . When packs get too old to use I usually salvage the straps and hardware and throw it in a box for future projects and repairs. One annoying thing is different brans use different hardware suppliers so some time I cant find an exact match and end up having to rip some seams and sew standard buckle.

Starchild
12-26-2016, 09:43
I would place my bag inside, perhaps a tent strapped outside

Grampie
12-26-2016, 10:02
I have a Kelty frame pack that I have been using for years. also used it on my thru. I have satraps attached to the lower cross bar to attach my tent and sleeping pad. I used a standard web belt fastened to the bar by using a additional buckle, without a strap, to fasten the belt to the bar. Years ago you could just buy these buckles from outfitters.

booney_1
12-27-2016, 13:46
$4 at Campmor

https://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/items/main/23034.jpg

They have others, just search for straps. You can also use paracord and cord locks

https://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/items/main/21236.jpg
I would not use anything elastic...as you bounce down the trail...you load might bounce loose..

HooKooDooKu
12-27-2016, 15:52
Get a pair of Accessory Straps (https://www.rei.com/product/813695/sea-to-summit-hook-release-34-accessory-straps-package-of-2):
The buckle (https://www.rei.com/product/850232/sea-to-summit-1-pin-ladderlock-field-repair-buckle) on these straps should look something like this (where the straps are already attached to the pin or its equivalent):
Then get a matching pair of Tri-Glide (https://www.rei.com/product/867926/gear-aid-tri-glide-buckle-set-package-of-2) buckles:

Then connect the set of straps to one of the bars on your pack like this:
The tri-glides can be pushed back so that they keep the strap somewhat tight around the bar and keep it from sliding all over the place too easily. But if the bar is NOT at the bottom of the pack (where cinching the straps causes the equipment to push up into the bottom of the pack), you can slide the tri-glides down the straps away from the bar down to the bottom of the pack. You can also accomplish both with two sets of tri-glides, one set keeping the straps cinched to the bar, the other set situated just below the bottom of the pack so that you can cinch the equipment without lifting the pack.

Venchka
12-27-2016, 18:44
Good grief HooKooDooKu! You gonna fly over and install the straps too?
I guess independent discovery is a thing of the past.
Too bad.
Wayne

jimmyjam
12-27-2016, 18:53
Put your sleeping bag in a plastic bag inside your pack where it is protected. You will look like a clueless weekender newbie with it outside your pack.

chknfngrs
12-28-2016, 08:58
I don't think it would fit, as described. Who cares if it is inside or outside anyways?! Bungee cord that bad boy and start walkin

HooKooDooKu
12-28-2016, 11:10
Good grief HooKooDooKu! You gonna fly over and install the straps too?
I guess independent discovery is a thing of the past.
***???

I thought this forum was a place to share ideas, so help pass knowledge on to others.
Your response makes it sound like I've given away some ancient secret that can only be shared by some secret brotherhood.

All I've done is show a simple way to rig up some straps... and since a picture is worth a thousand words, it seems so much simpler to try to put together a drawing that figure out how to explain routing straps thru buckles.

MuddyWaters
12-28-2016, 11:44
... do you guys have any ideals.

My ideal is that all your stuff belongs in your pack, not strapped to it.

If someone cant put pack and tent and sleeping pad in pack (I seen this) W..T..F...is the pack for?

Leo L.
12-28-2016, 11:58
Items strapped to the outside I always secure by an additional carabine to a separate loop on the pack.
Did break this rule on a recent hike, just strapped the slim bag containing the tent stakes and poles to the pack without securing it, and several hours into the hike I happend to hear a low "plop" and this bag had slipped out of the straps and dropped to the ground.

garlic08
12-28-2016, 12:10
On my first external frame pack, the pack compartment was too small for the tent or sleeping bag. As I recall, 40 years ago, I'd tie the tent below the pack and use the top flap of the pack to hold and cover the sleeping bag. A rudimentary knowledge of knots was essential. Velcro hadn't really hit the market yet, nor had plastic buckles.

Tipi Walter
12-28-2016, 12:30
Not all straps or webbing or buckles are created equal---some won't work, slide apart, and the webbing is substandard. For my sleeping bag straps I preferred snap-apart buckles to both release and cinch the strap. Something like this. Notice also the quality of the strap itself---and not that loosely woven crap that's available which is more fabric than webbing.

https://www.rei.com/media/1b54905b-3470-4bee-8f44-bdac02e8b299

HooKooDooKu
12-28-2016, 13:12
The only thing I tend to strap to the outside of the pack is my tent.
When purchasing back packs, I look for integrated straps that will allow me to do this.
But my 1st back pack was a Kelty Super Tioga with an external frame. That's where I figured out how to use a set of straps with a set of tri-glides to cleanly lash something to the frame of the pack.

I've had a tent slip out of the straps (REI Flash). That's why I try to always remember to clip the cinch loop of the tent bag thru the buckle so that even if the tent slips out of the straps, it won't go sliding down the side of a mountain (again).

ScareBear
12-28-2016, 13:48
The only thing I tend to strap to the outside of the pack is my tent.
When purchasing back packs, I look for integrated straps that will allow me to do this.
But my 1st back pack was a Kelty Super Tioga with an external frame. That's where I figured out how to use a set of straps with a set of tri-glides to cleanly lash something to the frame of the pack.

I've had a tent slip out of the straps (REI Flash). That's why I try to always remember to clip the cinch loop of the tent bag thru the buckle so that even if the tent slips out of the straps, it won't go sliding down the side of a mountain (again).

???

With my Flash 62, I carry the tent body, fly and groundsheet in a single stuff sack and put it in the shovel pocket on the back of the pack. The poles go in their own stuff sack and into a side pocket, using the pack's compression straps to secure the pole sack in place. The bottom straps on the Flash are hampered by their buckles(at least on mine) and I wouldn't strap anything other than a CCF pad to them...certainly nothing I couldn't live without...unless I had a secondary securement....

Tipi Walter
12-28-2016, 13:49
For many decades Kelty external packs required separately purchased straps---nowadays most internals have their own straps.

ScareBear
12-28-2016, 14:02
For many decades Kelty external packs required separately purchased straps---nowadays most internals have their own straps.

I don't recall any 1970's external frame packs that came with bag straps....certainly not my circa 1976 TNF knock-off by Jansport..it didn't even come with a hip belt!!!! I had to get that separately....

Crap. A flashback. Clevis pins....oh crap....clevis pins.....

HooKooDooKu
12-28-2016, 14:27
???

With my Flash 62, I carry the tent body, fly and groundsheet in a single stuff sack and put it in the shovel pocket on the back of the pack. The poles go in their own stuff sack and into a side pocket, using the pack's compression straps to secure the pole sack in place. The bottom straps on the Flash are hampered by their buckles(at least on mine) and I wouldn't strap anything other than a CCF pad to them...certainly nothing I couldn't live without...unless I had a secondary securement....
Wit my Flash 62:
* sleeping bag, cloths, sleeping pad, food and stove in the main pocket
* 1st aid and 'cat hole' stuff sacks in the brain
* water filter (and anything else that needs ability to dry out) in the side mesh
* camp saw, other toiletries, misc gear in main pocket on back of pack
* tent (poles, stakes, ground sheet) in tent bag in bottom straps.

I must say the buckle took some getting used to for cinching the straps down tight. I've found the straps to be sort of slick in terms of side to side movement. The straps have never loosened, but if the tent isn't cinched down tight, it tends to slide out the side of the straps.

I once encountered some branches blocking the trail. I decided to take a few minutes to cut them out of the way. Since it wouldn't take long, I didn't bother to take off my pack. But the sawing motion was enough to have my tent slip out of the straps and slide about 25' down a steep embankment.

Normally, to prevent such an event from happening, I usually pass the buckle thru the cinch cord loop of the tent bag. That way, if the tent bag slips out the side of the straps, the straps at least hold onto the cinch loop to prevent me from loosing the tent.

On that particular day, I had not passed the buckle of the straps thru the cinch cord loop.

I've since learned to cinch the REI Flash straps tighter, and pretty much never forget to pass the buckle thru the tent bag cinch cord.

For a 2016 JMT thru hike, I purchased an Osprey Volt. It too has straps at the bottom that I used to lash the tent to the outside of the pack. But those straps are wider and easier to cinch. Didn't have any issues with the tent slipping in those straps.

ScareBear
12-28-2016, 15:18
Very different packing systems for the same pack!

I use an eVent pack liner, which holds the following, from bottom to top:
sleep pad
clothes in a ul stuff sack(its a cheapo ul dry bag...fill with air...great pillow!)
stove/pot/gas can/windscreen/lighter in a ul stuff sack
campsite items in a ul stuff sack(wetfire cubes, multitool, battery pack, headlamp, 1st aid, pad repair, needle/heavy gauge surgical thread, meds, etc...)
sleeping bag

On top of the pack liner is the food bag and then the water bladder.

In the side pocket not occupied by the tent pole bag is my rain jacket.

Water purifier in zipper back with rain pants, hat and gloves in a ziplock.

3L Camelback widemouth canteens(1 good water, 1 bad water) carabinered to back of pack.

100 feet of dyneema cordage anywhere I can stuff it...

Nikon AW110 in right hip belt pocket

Honey Stingers, caffeine pills and a trail bar or two in left hip belt pocket.

Venchka
12-29-2016, 09:15
***???

I thought this forum was a place to share ideas, so help pass knowledge on to others.
Your response makes it sound like I've given away some ancient secret that can only be shared by some secret brotherhood.

All I've done is show a simple way to rig up some straps... and since a picture is worth a thousand words, it seems so much simpler to try to put together a drawing that figure out how to explain routing straps thru buckles.

Sorry. The internet didn't transmit my big grin and chuckles.
But seriously folks, having grown up around external frame backpacks, canoes and sailboats securing gear does not baffle me.
I was in an outdoor shop yesterday and they had several external frame packs hanging from the rafters. I tried to buy a late 60s or early 70s top of the line Kelty. No deal. Shucks!
Wayne

rocketsocks
12-30-2016, 06:37
Sorry. The internet didn't transmit my big grin and chuckles.
But seriously folks, having grown up around external frame backpacks, canoes and sailboats securing gear does not baffle me.
I was in an outdoor shop yesterday and they had several external frame packs hanging from the rafters. I tried to buy a late 60s or early 70s top of the line Kelty. No deal. Shucks!
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalknor does it me, manipulating hanks of rope is pretty much camp/hiking 101...and it's fun!

booney_1
12-30-2016, 13:09
I remember using the packers diamond hitch...many...many years ago in the boy scouts. It can be used with an external frame without a pack. You put all your stuff in a tarp or tent and fold it in a rough rectangle...then attach it to the frame with the packers diamond hitch. (it's also useful for packing mules!!)

I could almost see it being used today for ultra-lighters...no pack required...just an external frame...and some pioneering skills...