PDA

View Full Version : shuttle recommendations for Hot Springs

opfldc
12-27-2016, 00:39
anyone know of shuttles in the Hot Springs area?
thanks

Hikes in Rain
12-27-2016, 07:24
Bluff Mountain Outfitters. (828) 622-7162 They'll fix you up.

map man
12-27-2016, 08:54
Here is a link to the same question you asked nine days ago:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/122340-shuttles-in-the-Hot-Springs-NC-area

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2016, 10:21
Kinda the same gist as mapman:Here is a list of Shuttle Drivers for Entire Appalachian Trail (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2016.php)

ScareBear
12-27-2016, 11:18
Standing Bear Hostel can shuttle you to/from Hot Springs
http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/

And, posts like these(identical post from the same poster a week later) are precisely why I get snarky....

pilgrimskywheel
12-27-2016, 12:50
Oh, uh huh! Additionally, one should consider that this is some of the finest hitch-hiking territory on-trail.

soumodeler
12-27-2016, 14:39
I will repost my response from the other thread:

Just be sure to triple check that they understand where to pick you up. My last shuttle with Bluff Mountain I only double checked where I was to be picked up and they didn't show up. I called after waiting 15 minutes past the arranged time and they were waiting for me at my destination. Weren't all that concerned about it either. YMMV.

Gambit McCrae
12-27-2016, 16:25
Oh, uh huh! Additionally, one should consider that this is some of the finest hitch-hiking territory on-trail.

I don't see in anyway how this area was hitch friendly from 40 north all the way thru Erwin. Especially when comparing to BRP/ Skyline Drive??..

I for one sat on the highway at Tanyard for an hour and a half with my pup trying to hitch directly down into HS, had to call Bluff Out.

pilgrimskywheel
12-27-2016, 17:31
While I realize this thread is re: shuttles, I hope my post re: hitching is equally helpful to hikers in that it will invariably help save them money.

Hitch hiking is as much a learned skill and requisite hiker art as is say stealth camping - IMHO! This is especially true when shuttles or money are not readily or immediately available. As such, there is far more to it then sitting by the roadside with your thumb out, using "hitch-bait", or flying a whimsical sign which reads something like: "Not a psycho!". No brag, just fact, I once hitched from the Port Clinton Pavilion to Standing Bear Farm in three days. I left Port Clinton at breakfast the first day, and had dinner and PBRs at the Bear on the evening of the third. (Easily verifiable.) That is also funner and faster than a Greyhound - plus it's free. That gives you more bucks to say stay at comfy hostels where there are beds, showers, food, etc.

pilgrimskywheel
12-27-2016, 17:35
While I realize this thread is re: shuttles, I hope my post re: hitching is equally helpful to hikers in that it will invariably help save them money.

Hitch hiking is as much a learned skill and requisite hiker art as is say stealth camping - IMHO! This is especially true when shuttles or money are not readily or immediately available. As such, there is far more to it then sitting by the roadside with your thumb out, using "hitch-bait", or flying a whimsical sign which reads something like: "Not a psycho!". No brag, just fact, I once hitched from the Port Clinton Pavilion to Standing Bear Farm in three days. I left Port Clinton at breakfast the first day, and had dinner and PBRs at the Bear on the evening of the third. (Easily verifiable.) That is also funner and faster than a Greyhound - plus it's free. That gives you more bucks to say stay at comfy hostels where there are beds, showers, food, etc.

Of course - if you need a shuttle in that area you can't go wrong with BMO or SBF!